SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 2,890
W
Senior Member
Senior Member
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 2,890
It is interesting that on the yellow forum the post are mostly saying "thanks" and very positive under the Patch News thread. I say thanks because I am having a good time with this sim. It has flaws but I cannot remember a sim (and I have played and worked on almost all of them) that did not come out with problems.

This forum has a problem though and it is not something that can be fixed as easy as a game. The same people come here day after day to proclaim their dislike of this sim in the most inventive ways. At first it was entertaining and popcorn time but after a month or so it gets very old.


"A time when America was great,,when the chrome was thick and the women were straight" - Micheal Savage

"If you really want to experience flight in this life then you have to strap a DC-3 to your ass." - Buffalo Joe McBryan President & Captain Buffalo Airways
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 9
R
Junior Member
Junior Member
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 9
Being new to this forum, but long time simmer, I totally agree. Like being in Junior High again. Hardly any constructive remarks tbh. rant-on-off

Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,943
K
Hotshot
Hotshot
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,943
Originally Posted By: Greiss
Well, Because of CloD's poor performance and largely broken, um, everything, I ended up buying ROF:ICE last week and have been having an incredible time with it.

So yeah, chalk me up as a ROF customer because of CloD.



That was Luthier's and Jason's plan all along. More cash for RoF. Then when RoF get's the capital they need to finish the dynamic campaign, Luthier turns on all the gizmos, gadgets, and full screen. Voila' two friendly teams have two great sims for hungering fans.


(Seems to be the week for 'conspiracies.')

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 2,260
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 2,260
Originally Posted By: nuggetx
I already see new advertising



Cliffs of dover : NOW WITH FULL SCREEN SUPPORT !!!!!!!!!!!!!



clapping clapping clapping clapping clapping clapping clapping clapping clapping




Craps over dover wins an award for the worst coded game ever.


Do you have the game yet, or are you still just whinging, if you dont own the game, then it doesn't make a great deal of difference whether full screen support works or not, why not just crawl off to the WOP forums and entertain all the posters over there... oh thats right there isn't any.

I guess trolls will be trolls though. butt


III/JG11_Tiger
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 2,260
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 2,260
Originally Posted By: Avimimus
Originally Posted By: 303_Michcich
There are 2 things that can rescue this game:

1) US release (short term) - there is quite a few bucks at stake so they are canceling their holidays

2) competitive pressure from 777 (long term) - I was flying ROF online yesterday and, boy, is this game light years from where COD is now in terms of atmosphere (and it`s becoming better with new content/features). If 1C does not turn COD into masterpiece comparable to ROF before 777 rolls out something in the WWII dept., they`re up for meatgrinder. Competition rulez!

Having said this, kudos to Luthier and team for rolling up the sleeves and getting onto the race. It can only get better.

PLUS: the Moderator over at 1C is now saying `one step at a time` - see ? they`re learning.




Oleg always used to brag that he liked having competition.

IMHO, RoF had a similarly troubled release (with a botched launch that alienated many users, a broken campaign engine that was ridiculously unrealistic, performance and reliability issues as well as lack of optimisation in som areas, the default AI had very imbalanced tactics in some mounts, the landscape has limited historical acccuracy and the modeling of the lewis guns treated them as Vickers...

Basically, RoF was torn at by critics and would have been shredded if it was expected to meet the same expectations some people have for CoD. However, it is brilliant and has progressed tremendously.


+1


III/JG11_Tiger
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,653
D
Member
Member
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,653
Originally Posted By: Freycinet
Why do people who hate this sim still hang around like hungry sharks at this forum? What is the fascination? Do they secretly love the sim but cannot make themselves admit it? What a sad life do you have if you have nothing better to do than sit 24 hours a day in front of your computer to sit and moan about a program you don't like? What losers.


well, this is hardly the proper place to accuse people of too much forum participation, don't you think? Your post count btw somehow qualifies you for your aforementioned category, too. Doesn't it?

As long as those who dare to post non-constructive criticism here have actually bought the game or plan to buy it, I am happy with it. I take the forum activity and sales hints Fearless observed as a sign of continuing fascination and brand name power. I am tempted to interpret the highly emotional postings the same way. So I hope it will keep selling itself eventually, in despite of or hopefully because of the reviews to come. The last time I saw something similar was FSX and the traffic about it at the AVSIM forums. And I sincerely hope the development will be kept on, not like in FSX.

I accommodated myself to the state the sim was released in, and now I am ready to explore the things given and already working and find it very impressive, to say the least.

Michael

Last edited by DocW; 05/04/11 12:01 PM.
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 511
E
Member
Member
E Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 511
I appreciate this is the CoD forum, but must add my +1 to RoF comments.

CoD has been an exercise in potential and frustration. While I am very optimistic it will get better, I have (re)discovered RoF

It was not an era that particularly interested me, but RoF is immersive and stunningly well done. I have gone from the basic edition to having purchased every plane in the last few weeks.

Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 11,234
L
Veteran
Veteran
L Offline
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 11,234
Originally Posted By: Extreme_One
Luthier has been around for a long time and was the lead guy on the Pacific Fighters addon.


Even more, he was the one who headed up the third-party add-on scene for IL-2 and in fact was one of the first third-party modelers with the BI-1.

Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 13,367
F
Veteran
Veteran
F Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 13,367
Originally Posted By: DocW
Originally Posted By: Freycinet
Why do people who hate this sim still hang around like hungry sharks at this forum? What is the fascination? Do they secretly love the sim but cannot make themselves admit it? What a sad life do you have if you have nothing better to do than sit 24 hours a day in front of your computer to sit and moan about a program you don't like? What losers.


well, this is hardly the proper place to accuse people of too much forum participation, don't you think? Your post count btw somehow qualifies you for your aforementioned category, too. Doesn't it?


You didn't seem to get it. If I hated the game as much as those people do I would obviously have left the forum to spend my time better elsewhere. I didn't particularly like WoP and so just posted once or twice in that forum and let it be, left the forum it for those who enjoy that program... Isn't that the logical thing to do? Well, it is if you're not a total loser as the haters in here, who just have a congenital need to vent their spleen all the time in all the threads they open.


My Il-2 CoD movie web site: www.flightsimvids.com
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 753
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 753
I agree that full screen is a basic game programming concept. With 1C's pedigree, I can't see them being so dim about it. Thus, it is either an unlucky logical bug in their code, or they tried something innovative in their code and it's run into unexpected issues. Knowing Oleg's history, I'd go with the latter.

Time will tell...


And Ming, what's with the lack of Minglish??!! Your post was completely normal. Slipping in your old age?

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,653
D
Member
Member
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,653
Originally Posted By: LukeFF
Originally Posted By: Extreme_One
Luthier has been around for a long time and was the lead guy on the Pacific Fighters addon.


Even more, he was the one who headed up the third-party add-on scene for IL-2 and in fact was one of the first third-party modelers with the BI-1.


I am not familiar with the personae of the IL2 history. Would you reckon that Luthier has the stamina to keep the project going, or was it all a one man show running out of juice when Oleg left? The latter scenario really concerns me, as it would explain the apparent disarray over the code. I'd appreciate your input.

Michael

Last edited by DocW; 05/04/11 10:07 AM.
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,453
N
Member
Member
N Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,453
Originally Posted By: Ming_EAF19
I'm fairly sure we're flying an Il-2 mod, I see no signs of a 'completely new engine'


(This is not a 'negative' post just an observation)

Do you remember in the very early days the developers telling us that they had halted work on the sim because they realised that the coding would be out of date by the time of release (or something) and so they binned the lot and started all over again "from the ground up"? I remember it happening very well.

You have to wonder (a) what it would have been like if they had carried on with what they started with and (b) whether it really was 'new code' or (/conspiracy theory on) they did it in reverse, ditched the new code and tried to modify IL2. (/off).

I don't have the sim and am not passing any judgement.....just going by what I have seen and read. From the videos the FM do look very similar to IL2 to me too.

Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 283
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 283
Originally Posted By: NineLives
Originally Posted By: Ming_EAF19
I'm fairly sure we're flying an Il-2 mod, I see no signs of a 'completely new engine'


(This is not a 'negative' post just an observation)

Do you remember in the very early days the developers telling us that they had halted work on the sim because they realised that the coding would be out of date by the time of release (or something) and so they binned the lot and started all over again "from the ground up"? I remember it happening very well.

You have to wonder (a) what it would have been like if they had carried on with what they started with and (b) whether it really was 'new code' or (/conspiracy theory on) they did it in reverse, ditched the new code and tried to modify IL2. (/off).

I don't have the sim and am not passing any judgement.....just going by what I have seen and read. From the videos the FM do look very similar to IL2 to me too.


I have the product and long ago concluded that it is Il2 repackaged. The ai routines and problems with hi altitude flight are telltales. The shear number of broken pieces is astonishing. How could a team custom build a BoB sim from "ground" up only to discover upon release that it lacks a high altitude FM and has no working comm system? You do not need to be a conspiracy theorist to ask a logical question. All that's needed are you lying eyes and ears.

Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 389
F
Member
Member
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 389
Freycinet said:

Quote:
In an ideal world Nuggetx, Falstaff and Wernervoss would make us an amazing WWII sim. I wonder why they haven't been hired by a development studio yet?


A silly remark, but not unexpected.

As long as you keep targeting posters, rather than posts, you'll do just fine.

Or is that the other way round?

And I'd say your post count, and constant 'criticism of the criticisers' puts you firmly in control of the bile ballast tank.

I do not agree with Chivas a huge deal, but I can respect his arguments to a greater extent, and where he's coming from. And i respect his grudging acceptance of the fact the game was release porked.

For you, Freycinet, I have no respect. Maybe a little bit for your persistance. But even then I'm not really sure. I havne;t given it enough thought. So, since you keep naming me and others, I thought you'd like a little back. And the more you do it, the more you'll get back.

And do you want moving shadows with that?

Ben

Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,169
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,169
Originally Posted By: falstaff
Freycinet said:

Quote:
In an ideal world Nuggetx, Falstaff and Wernervoss would make us an amazing WWII sim. I wonder why they haven't been hired by a development studio yet?


A silly remark, but not unexpected.

As long as you keep targeting posters, rather than posts, you'll do just fine.

Or is that the other way round?

And I'd say your post count, and constant 'criticism of the criticisers' puts you firmly in control of the bile ballast tank.

I do not agree with Chivas a huge deal, but I can respect his arguments to a greater extent, and where he's coming from. And i respect his grudging acceptance of the fact the game was release porked.

For you, Freycinet, I have no respect. Maybe a little bit for your persistance. But even then I'm not really sure. I havne;t given it enough thought. So, since you keep naming me and others, I thought you'd like a little back. And the more you do it, the more you'll get back.

And do you want moving shadows with that?

Ben


Put him on ignore mate. smile


Asus P8P67 Pro Mobo
2500K CPU @ 4.5Ghz
Antec H2O Kuhler 950 Water Cooler
16Gb DDR3 DC RAM @ 1600mhz
EVGA GTX780 Classified GPU
Dell U3014 30" Monitor
xFi Titanium HD sound
Corsair Force 250Gb SSD
Corsair RM850w PSU
W7-64
INTJ
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 59
H
Junior Member
Junior Member
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 59
Originally Posted By: Freycinet
Originally Posted By: DocW
Originally Posted By: Freycinet
Why do people who hate this sim still hang around like hungry sharks at this forum? What is the fascination? Do they secretly love the sim but cannot make themselves admit it? What a sad life do you have if you have nothing better to do than sit 24 hours a day in front of your computer to sit and moan about a program you don't like? What losers.


well, this is hardly the proper place to accuse people of too much forum participation, don't you think? Your post count btw somehow qualifies you for your aforementioned category, too. Doesn't it?


You didn't seem to get it. If I hated the game as much as those people do I would obviously have left the forum to spend my time better elsewhere. I didn't particularly like WoP and so just posted once or twice in that forum and let it be, left the forum it for those who enjoy that program... Isn't that the logical thing to do? Well, it is if you're not a total loser as the haters in here, who just have a congenital need to vent their spleen all the time in all the threads they open.


Trouble is in your attempts to defend the sim (I assume that is your intention) you come across as a troll hiding behind the good guy tag. Just my opinion.


Komrad.

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,653
D
Member
Member
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,653
Originally Posted By: WernerVoss
Yes. I'm happy to pay for good stuff, with the emphasis on good vs alpha-grade crapola. RoF's planes are the dogs and I'd be happy to pay for the coming campaign if they had the sense to charge for it. I suspect I'm in a minority though.


Probably yes, but I am joining you. I hope development will continue and I would gladly pay for planes (as long as they do not commence trying to sell silly things like field mods, compasses or something rofl ) and maps and missions.

Michael.

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 753
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 753
I have the sim and have seen some of its limitations WRT performance. I've not yet experienced the many faults reported here, but I fully beleive they are there. When you consider the sudden release announcement, the staggered release with the US market (likely to be the largest market) and the level of incompletion for the game, it looks to me like they were faced with these equations;

Publish now = get some money so they can continue with full development.

Don't publish now = go bankrupt and publish nothing/never.

Of course it could get much more complicated that this if you consider they may have financial investors who wouldn't wait any longer to get some return.


I suspect the same/similar thing happened with RoF and ArmaII. Not being a computer game analyst, so I'm really guessing here, but I suspect it's probably common-ish practice among relatively small development teams that are squeezing as much out of their investment capital.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 24,718
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 24,718
1) I'm still waiting for CoD to be released.

2)
Quote:
The planes are slow, stall super easy, don't have alot of instrumentation etc.
was written like that's a bad thing. I find it to be a main selling point. smile

3) RoF was indeed forced into publishing too early by investors, and Neoqb so much as said so. I'd like to know what sort of fire sale price Jason got it for.


The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 2,222
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 2,222
There's no question that CoD was released when it should not have been.

Who's fault is this? We can point the fingers to two responsible parties.

1 - the project manager for not meeting the project requirements.
2 - UBI for allowing it to be released in the state it's in.

UBI has a long history of releasing products when they're not ready for the PC market. It seems to be the opinion that 'screw quality, release it, we can patch it later' when it comes to PC releases.

What I'd like to know is how long are publishers LEGALLY bound to support a product after release? Is there such a thing?

We all saw that with LOMAC it was released with placeholder components that they never fixed (such as the multiplayer code being synchronous LAN code). Nobody who purchased that product ever got what was advertised (internet multiplayer). Only when they purchased another product (flaming cliffs) did they get it.

I am very leery of a culture of releasing incomplete products and essentially giving a consumer the choice of paying extra for what should already have been in the product, or not paying and being left with an incomplete product.

I'm not saying the devs are going to screw us, but UBI does have a record of doing so.


Last edited by Bard; 05/04/11 03:10 PM.

What WW2 Fighter pilots say about Angels and Airspeed:

"Nice job of getting down to the basics - love your choice of a cover!" Col. Clarence 'Bud' Anderson

"I have enjoyed reading angels and airspeed, it should prove good reading for all interested in combat tactics and their application related to the fluid air environment and state of technology in WWII years. All the best as you make it available." - Col. Charles McGee - Tuskegee Airman

NEVER ENGAGE STUPID.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,075,348 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1