SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 3,960
S
Senior Member
Senior Member
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 3,960
Agressorblue,

The problem I see to convert SFS pot with HALL inside is the long travel of wiper.
In any case look at DocFlyer solution for convert Suncom F-15 pots to HALL:
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ub...tml#Post3108472
He says that get 100% of response from HALL.

for SFS I think that use R/C helicopter ball link and a rotary setup, with pot or HALL is more practical:
Here's mine: http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2904142/Suncom_SFS.html#Post2904142

I reuse SFS handle PCB's with minor modifications, see drawings.

Sokol1

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,462
A
Check out my
Senior Member
Check out my
Senior Member
A Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,462
Originally Posted By: Sokol1
Agressorblue,

The problem I see to convert SFS pot with HALL inside is the long travel of wiper.
In any case look at DocFlyer solution for convert Suncom F-15 pots to HALL:
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ub...tml#Post3108472
He says that get 100% of response from HALL.

for SFS I think that use R/C helicopter ball link and a rotary setup, with pot or HALL is more practical:
Here's mine: http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2904142/Suncom_SFS.html#Post2904142

I reuse SFS handle PCB's with minor modifications, see drawings.

Sokol1



Ok, so I've been studying Doc flyers pics, and I think I can do that. Your mod to the throttle might also work Sokol1. I am curious though, with your throttle mod, are you saying you limited the physical travel of the throttle Handel sweep, or the travel of the Pen stick/magnet setup? I think I have a solution to the latter:

<this arm would allow me to fine tune travel arc, which, in concert with adjustable push-rod horn hardware, would give me slop free operation.


I'm still looking for general info as to what the "rules" are when it comes to placing Hall sensors. Any help there would be great. Also, does anyone recommended and specific type of Hall sensor? Or any Specs I should look for when shopping for them? I had my eyes on these guys: http://cgi.ebay.com/5pcs-NEW-A3144-A3144...812437641712859



Last edited by aggressorblue; 04/09/11 05:45 PM.

My Rig:i5-3570k @ 4.2 GHZ W/ Corsair Hydro H110 Cooler / Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo / GTX 1070/ 16 Gigs DDR3 RAM / A Few SSDs, and a Bunch of HDDs / All held together by: Corsair C70 Case

Other Assets Deployed:
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog SN#22621/CH Throttle Quad/MFG Crosswind Pedals SN#0004 smile
TrackIR TIR 5 w/ TrackClip Pro biggrin
Simpit: Obutto R3VOLUTION


Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 3,960
S
Senior Member
Senior Member
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 3,960
Quote:
with your throttle mod, are you saying you limited the physical travel of the throttle Handel sweep, or the travel of the Pen stick/magnet setup?


Throttle travel don't change, but with different lengths in throttle lever and in lever that rotate Bic section I match the ~90 110/120 degrees of movement in throttle levers to ~40 degrees in magnets (around Bic section).
In lever - made by PCB part - that rotate Bic section are multiples holes for adjust, like in this Servo horn (linked).
This arrange are a "ad hoc" solution. smile
In the next (SFS) I think in use RC helicopter ball links, more "elegant". smile
http://img.alibaba.com/wsphoto/v0/384003507/Metal-Ball-Links-and-Bar-RC-Parts-RC-Accessories.jpg

For HALL sensor you need Radiometric type. This in eBay link dont say this, maybe are just switch...
I advise buy one already tested - Allegro A1302 EUAT:
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=allegro+hall+sensor&_sacat=0&_odkw=honeywell+hall&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l131

Or A1321 - that is more sensible. Or Honeyweel SS495/496 series.

You already read this?

http://www.jpfiles.com/hardware/uni_stick.pdf

And this: http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/content.php/172-Mikes-Tips-%28Rotary%29-Hall-Position-Sensors
smile

General layout - with only one magnet:
http://img641.imageshack.us/i/hall2a.jpg/

Sokol1

Last edited by Sokol1; 04/10/11 06:06 PM.
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,462
A
Check out my
Senior Member
Check out my
Senior Member
A Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,462
Thanks for the links Sokol1, that's exactly what I needed smile

Time to hit the books...
reading


My Rig:i5-3570k @ 4.2 GHZ W/ Corsair Hydro H110 Cooler / Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo / GTX 1070/ 16 Gigs DDR3 RAM / A Few SSDs, and a Bunch of HDDs / All held together by: Corsair C70 Case

Other Assets Deployed:
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog SN#22621/CH Throttle Quad/MFG Crosswind Pedals SN#0004 smile
TrackIR TIR 5 w/ TrackClip Pro biggrin
Simpit: Obutto R3VOLUTION


Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,462
A
Check out my
Senior Member
Check out my
Senior Member
A Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,462
Alright, so the X-board came a few days ago, and I have to say it's a very impressive bit of hardware. yep

That said, are there any instructions out there for this thing? Namely I want to make sure I don't short something out by putting wires in the wrong places. It seems that the forums on Leo's site are down, so that option is out at least.

Hall sensors on on their way too. Got 5 for about $10, so I can afford to burn one out if I make a mistake. rolleyes

Last edited by aggressorblue; 04/16/11 05:21 PM.

My Rig:i5-3570k @ 4.2 GHZ W/ Corsair Hydro H110 Cooler / Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo / GTX 1070/ 16 Gigs DDR3 RAM / A Few SSDs, and a Bunch of HDDs / All held together by: Corsair C70 Case

Other Assets Deployed:
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog SN#22621/CH Throttle Quad/MFG Crosswind Pedals SN#0004 smile
TrackIR TIR 5 w/ TrackClip Pro biggrin
Simpit: Obutto R3VOLUTION


Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 2
L
Junior Member
Junior Member
L Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 2
aggressorblue, I hope you do not mind me joining your topic. smile
I also just bought a Suncom F15E and Suncom Talon Stick/Throttle combo. I'm looking into modifying the combo too.

I have 3 possibilities:
1. Buy a gameport>USB adapter. Will probably just buy one to try out the stick. The feel is great, by the way.
2. Go down the separate board way, the same as your approach.
3. I have an old Saitek X45 Hotas. Could I just re-use it's electronics and buttons and integrate it into the Suncom Hotas? The Saitek pots will have to be replaced by the Suncom ones.

Just thinking out loud. smile

Not sure what to do with the F15E stick. It's the same as the Talon one, right, only with key programming possibilities?

I'm using Win7 64 bit by the way and will use the Suncom Hotas for the VRS F18 Superbug addon for FSX and DCS A-10C.

Thanks.

Last edited by Lenop; 04/20/11 11:16 AM.
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 2,249
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 2,249


2147483647 angels can dance on the point of a needle.
Add one and they will all turn into devils.
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 2
L
Junior Member
Junior Member
L Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 2
Thanks Jeroen!
I suppose it is the wiring diagram of the X45. No clue (very little) how to read it. (yet) smile
But I'll find out!

Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 3,960
S
Senior Member
Senior Member
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 3,960
1 - These USB>Gameport adapter use 8 bits controller... and dont work for all programmable buttons of gameport HOTAS (Ie Suncom, CH-F16 or Tm F16/F22).

But, since Suncom use keyboard emulation through DIN/PS2 keyboard connector, you have chance to get work axis through USB adapter and buttons - include HAT's - through keyboard connection and use the four modes to program buttons and HAT's.

Sokol1

Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 2,249
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 2,249
Originally Posted By: Lenop
Thanks Jeroen!
I suppose it is the wiring diagram of the X45. No clue (very little) how to read it. (yet) smile
But I'll find out!
Yes.
The colors correspond to the wires going to the PCB inside the stick.
the numbers correspond to pins on the throttle's connector.

SH1/SH2 stick hats 1 and 2
S1-S6 stick switches 1 to 6
TH3/TH4 throttle hats 3 and 4
MU/MD mode up and down
AU/AD aux up and down
T7/T8 throttleswitch 7 and 8
JX/JY joystick X and Y axis
TH throttle axis
RD rudder axis
R1/R2 rotaries 1 and 2

The triangles are diodes to prevent key ghosting.
Rectangles are resistors.
U, D, L, R ect are the directions of the hats.
UL, UR etc are the diagonal directions and a combination of up/down and left/right.
The switches are laid out in a matrix.
The analog axes use pots.
They share two lines in common on the outer pins. (5V and ground)
The middle wiper pin has a seperate line for each pot.


2147483647 angels can dance on the point of a needle.
Add one and they will all turn into devils.
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,462
A
Check out my
Senior Member
Check out my
Senior Member
A Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,462
So this project is still going, I've just been stalled on the issue of linking handle travel to the Halls in the throttle.

What I'm now looking at, is replacing the main bolt upon which everything hinges with something hollow. I kept looking at the throttle setup, wondering how to get the linkage to adapt to the incredible range of travel, and a few hacks and slashes later, I'm left right back where I started, except with a few pointless holes drilled in the throttle.

The plan is to use the concept behind Sokol1's Bic assembly, except to make the "bic" the very axis upon which both throttles pivot. With magnets attached to either side of each throttle, and the Halls assembled in the middle, this seems the best way to take the massive and awkward range of mechanical travel out of play.

The advantage to this, is it allows for zero mechanical slop, and is pretty clean when all is said and done.

What I'm wondering, is would I be able to get something like say, a copper tube, that's threaded yet hollow in the center, in the same size as the main bolt. I've attached the pic below to show what I'm getting at:


That silver bolt sticking out of the base would need to be replaced with something hollow.

My concerns are:
If the tube is non-magnetic (like say, copper or brass) would it insulate the Hall from magnets placed outside said tube? The idea here is the shaft does not move, but the throttle handle rotates around it (this is the way it is currently arranged)


My Rig:i5-3570k @ 4.2 GHZ W/ Corsair Hydro H110 Cooler / Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo / GTX 1070/ 16 Gigs DDR3 RAM / A Few SSDs, and a Bunch of HDDs / All held together by: Corsair C70 Case

Other Assets Deployed:
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog SN#22621/CH Throttle Quad/MFG Crosswind Pedals SN#0004 smile
TrackIR TIR 5 w/ TrackClip Pro biggrin
Simpit: Obutto R3VOLUTION


Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 3,960
S
Senior Member
Senior Member
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 3,960

Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,462
A
Check out my
Senior Member
Check out my
Senior Member
A Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,462
Alright, so I ordered some 5/16th tubing and some collars to hold everything together.

The issue now is I don't think the A1302's are sensitive enough. I did some basic testing today, and they appear to have too be to close to the magnets I've chosen (small rare-earth canopy hatch magnets used on RC planes).

That said, Allegros site says the A1321 is out of production, and will be replaced by a new model, A1324 (same sensitivity/input voltage range), but those won't be shipping till October (Allegro is currently filling out orders for the A1321 until then, but only if you were already in the supply chain).

So, should I look for another Hall that has about 5 mV/G of sensitivity and an output of 5v or less, or do I get stronger magnets?

Last edited by aggressorblue; 05/10/11 09:52 PM.

My Rig:i5-3570k @ 4.2 GHZ W/ Corsair Hydro H110 Cooler / Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo / GTX 1070/ 16 Gigs DDR3 RAM / A Few SSDs, and a Bunch of HDDs / All held together by: Corsair C70 Case

Other Assets Deployed:
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog SN#22621/CH Throttle Quad/MFG Crosswind Pedals SN#0004 smile
TrackIR TIR 5 w/ TrackClip Pro biggrin
Simpit: Obutto R3VOLUTION


Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 3,960
S
Senior Member
Senior Member
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 3,960
Quote:
small rare-earth canopy hatch magnets used on RC planes


Is not these magnets too small/weak?

Check specs of Honeywell SS495A - SS496A HALL sensor,they are well used too.

Sokol1

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
September 15th Battle of Britain Day.
by RedToo - 09/15/26 08:06 PM
Population Patterns
by PanzerMeyer - 09/15/26 03:43 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,074,958 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1