SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 106
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 106
Hi Guys,

My warthog is finally arriving today - I am wondering if there is any DIY guide for extending the warthog.
I know that the thread for the grip is a m2-36, but since I live in the US, I don't know if I can find that metric. Is there a equivalent part I can pick up from home depot or lowes?
While at it, has there been any effort on no-center-detent mod so far?

Thanks!

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,082
-
Veteran
Veteran
- Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,082
metalnwood is making a few, and they are excellent. See thread.

Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 106
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 106
Well I did some research, and I've found that this connector (Gardena 39035 5/8-Inch Metal Garden Hose Connector) has the exact thread I needed.

I ordered one from Amazon, and using some copper pipe reducers (3/4" to 1/2") from home depot, a dremel, compound saw, couple screws and some elbow grease, this is what I came up with.

The extension is rather short, since I've made a slide out tray under the chair. Long enough to reduce the center detent a whole lot.




Joined: May 2010
Posts: 3,812
J
Frugalite & P-38 fan
Senior Member
Frugalite & P-38 fan
Senior Member
J Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 3,812
Nice job! thumbsup

Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 304
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 304
Wow that's a very utilitarian design. Can you share more information about the slide out tray?

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 239
L
Member
Member
L Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 239
Originally Posted By: recoilfx
Well I did some research, and I've found that this connector (Gardena 39035 5/8-Inch Metal Garden Hose Connector) has the exact thread I needed.



Thank you very much for this tip recoilfx!

Went out and bought the Gardena 39035 as you described it is a perfect fit. Just had to cut down the plastic threaded bit. Used copper pipe reducers soldered together. I've dressed it with a bit of copper pipe insulation and electrical tape. The extension adds approx 8 cm to the stick height. I would not want it longer. I am able to incorporate the stick offset and have gained much in the way of precision. Very solid. The biggest problem I had was the PS/2 extension cable. I could only find it in 6' length and had to cut out over 5' and then solder it back together... those are small wires.

Here are a couple pics of the finished stick extension mod bolted to my sim chair:







The most important thing in fighting was shooting, next the various tactics in coming into a fight and last of all flying ability itself.

� Lt. Colonel W. A. 'Billy' Bishop, RCAF.

Lobo's DCS A-10C Normal Checklist & Quick Reference Handbook version 8c now available for download here:
http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/172905/

Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 5
S
Junior Member
Junior Member
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 5
So I went out and bought 3/4" to 1/2" copper pipe reducers. Looking at them, they looked too small. But I had faith and bought them anyways...oops!

I don't see how it's possible for those reducers to be 3/4" to 1/2". The opening for the Gardena coupling is about 3/4 of an inch... meaning the widest part of the reducer just slips right through. It would be more feasible for it to be 1" to 3/4". I'm guessing that what you have is 1" to 1/2".

Please edit your guide if I am correct to prevent wasted trips to home depot. Otherwise, disregard and laugh.

Last edited by stylus; 08/24/12 01:19 AM.
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 1,583
L
Old Guy
Member
Old Guy
Member
L Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 1,583
1" x 3/4" copper fittings are too big.

I found the same problem with the copper fittings mentioned here. They would just slip through the hose adaptor. I ended up using 1/2" PVC male adapors and a 1/2 PVC coupling. Only thing is it's a little longer then I want at 5". One of these days I'm gonna trim the coupling down and hope to shorten the extension by about 1/2" - 3/4"


Core i9 10900k @ 5.0GHz
Corsair H115i CPU cooler
Asus ROG Maximus XII Formula
Asus ROG Strix RTX 2080 OC 8GB DDR6
32GB Team T-Force Night Hawk DDR4 3200,
Corsair HX850i 850W PSU
TIR5 With Trackclip Pro
Win 10 x64
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 106
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 106
Sorry, my original sizes (3/4 to 1/2) is wrong. It is actually 1" to 1/2".

However, 1"x3/4" is not too big. If fact, my Warthog Extension Mk III (hehe) is using this size.

Here are some pictures on how I did it.


How it looks.


Materials: 2 Copper 1" to 3/4" reducers 1 Gardena Metal hose repair connector 1" Copper pipe Screws



The larger end of the copper reducers are cut down, and indents/knotches are made to fit with Warthog's base and stick. Notice that the m36x2 thread ring is transplanted from the Gardena's hose connector. The connector is soft, so I used an exacto knife to slice the amount of thread I needed.



The plastic thread ring is slightly bigger, so i slabbed generous amount of epoxy around the copper and let the epoxy fill/glue the plastic thread.

Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 5
S
Junior Member
Junior Member
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 5
Recoil, thank you for the updated technique and the great pics!

I'll be back at it tomorrow when I get the right sized reducers smile

Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 106
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 106
Oh crap.. I listed the size wrong again... For the middle pipe, You need 3/4", not 1". So sorry!

Last edited by recoilfx; 08/24/12 02:26 PM.
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 1,583
L
Old Guy
Member
Old Guy
Member
L Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 1,583
I found the 1" x 3/4" copper reducing fitting as is would not fit inside the plastic part of the gardena hose connector. The 1/2" PVC male adaptor fit perfectly. I did have to trim about 3/8" off the wider end so I could screw the Gardena connector together. Do this on both ends and connect them wirh a 1/2" PVC coupling.

When I get home in the next day or so I'll take some pictures.


Core i9 10900k @ 5.0GHz
Corsair H115i CPU cooler
Asus ROG Maximus XII Formula
Asus ROG Strix RTX 2080 OC 8GB DDR6
32GB Team T-Force Night Hawk DDR4 3200,
Corsair HX850i 850W PSU
TIR5 With Trackclip Pro
Win 10 x64
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 483
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 483
Hope this link is useful:


http://www.brennaninc.com/search.asp...DIN%20Fittings

The Warthog uses a metric thread (m36x2 according some information I found). This site is not for retail, but they will point you to a local distributor. The special interest is the part #D8008-S25 and it is not expensive.

I am not completely sure if this is the right thread though.

Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 483
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 483
metalnwood confirmed the thread is M36x2, I post again the link to the parts, looks like the previous one didn't work.

http://www.brennaninc.com/search.asp?pg=search&searchtype=3&producttype=DIN%20Fittings

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 26
Z
Junior Member
Junior Member
Z Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 26
I built an extender using PVC tubing and inserting the garden hose couplers (ordered via Amazon in the USA - I'm based in UK and you can't buy those here) inside the pipe joiner so its hidden. I bought a flexi cable for the electronic coupling but its a bit too long so when I screw the ends to the stick and base the cable gets a little twisted. It works great but has a limited life I think before I break the PS2 cable due to twisting. Does anyone know where I can get a short PS2 cable from - say about six inches? What have you guys used?

Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 1,583
L
Old Guy
Member
Old Guy
Member
L Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 1,583
Originally Posted By: zhukov
I built an extender using PVC tubing and inserting the garden hose couplers (ordered via Amazon in the USA - I'm based in UK and you can't buy those here) inside the pipe joiner so its hidden. I bought a flexi cable for the electronic coupling but its a bit too long so when I screw the ends to the stick and base the cable gets a little twisted. It works great but has a limited life I think before I break the PS2 cable due to twisting. Does anyone know where I can get a short PS2 cable from - say about six inches? What have you guys used?


How about a picture of yours. I used the garden hose couplers and two 1/2 PVC male adaptors and a 1/2" PVC coupling. Then covered it with 1" plastic wire covering. Here's a link to the thread with a picture of mine. My picture is like the last post right now.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3184593/3.html

I believe everyone who's done this (including myself) had to buy a longer PS2 extension cable and cut it and solder it back together. The smallest ones I've found are 6 ft long. Since you have to cut it down it doesn't make a difference how long it is anyway.

Last edited by Lucky; 09/04/12 09:58 AM. Reason: To remove bad info.

Core i9 10900k @ 5.0GHz
Corsair H115i CPU cooler
Asus ROG Maximus XII Formula
Asus ROG Strix RTX 2080 OC 8GB DDR6
32GB Team T-Force Night Hawk DDR4 3200,
Corsair HX850i 850W PSU
TIR5 With Trackclip Pro
Win 10 x64
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 3,960
S
Senior Member
Senior Member
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 3,960
If you know how solder, buy 2 these conectors (male and female) and make your own cable. Maybe reuse one end of the broken one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Connector-Mini-D...=item2ec16fcf06
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Connector-Mini-D...=item2ec13bf5f1

Sokol1

Joined: May 2009
Posts: 140
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 140
I was using the ps2 splitter cable. It was short enough to fit inside a three or four inch extension and long enough for an 8 inch extension.

All you had to do was chop off one leg.

Just like this http://www.sieso-ergo.eu/en/product-info/ps2-splitter-cable-from-2-to-1-ps2port/317

you should be able to get them for a few $$

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 13
R
Junior Member
Junior Member
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 13
These DIY are nice but I want a professionally made Extension and I will have 9 to sell as making a single one is too expensive. Price will be at 40-50 Euro + shipping. Its made by a German precision engineer so there will be no question about Quality. Length will be 7,5cm and it will be non rotational so not a simple tube like some sold.
I will also put them on Ebay but I wanted to tell here first. PM if interested, preferably this is for EU community.
I will post pictures when its done in 1-2 weeks.

Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 3
T
Junior Member
Junior Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 3
I just wanted to add my very nice and professionally Bauhaus-precision made 11cm sewer-pipe-extension on top of even more sewer pipe. Assembled with screws in abundance ;-)

The Gardena-fittings fit nicely into a 40mm sewer pipe. As it is plastic and quite wide it is both stiff and light. Warning: hot glue everywhere!





Last edited by tietze; 04/03/13 04:44 PM.

Black Shark: Controller profile & setup, TrackIR profile, pit.
Casual couch pilot, watching capped.tv... Callsign: JET
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
September 15th Battle of Britain Day.
by RedToo - 09/15/26 08:06 PM
Population Patterns
by PanzerMeyer - 09/15/26 03:43 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,075,047 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1