SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 916
I
Member
Member
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 916
I have a Hall sensor modded set of TM elite pedals that use a game port connection. I would like to convert these to USB. I have tried various commercial Gameport to USB adapters but none of them work. Any of the expert's here know a way to do it ? Will a Bodnar board do the job ? If so which one and how would I actually wire the connection up ?

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 2,249
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 2,249
The boards from Leo Bodnar should do the job.
They measure voltage so you must use all three pins on the pot.
The outer pins go to 5V and ground, the middle pin conveys the output signal.
The boards have their pins clearly marked.

Which one to pick depends on what you want.
Just take a look at their specs at http://www.leobodnar.com/.

The BU0836 series have analog inputs as well as digital button inputs.
The BU0836 is the simplest and cheapest option.
The BU0836X has easy to use connector, high resolution inputs and a bunch of other features but is the most expensive.
The BU0836A has a higher resolution than the BU0836 at a slightly higher cost.
The BU0836LC is useful if you want to use a loadcell for a brake pedal.

The G25 pedal interface is very compact but has only three axes at sthe cost of a BU0836X.
Here is a pinout:
Code:
G25 Pedals:
Plug - Wire   - Function
   1 - Black  - Ground
   2 - Orange - Gas 
   3 - White  - Brake 
   4 - Green  - Clutch 
   5 - 
   6 - Red    - +5V 
   7 - 
   8 - 
   9 - Red    - +5V 

I would advise the BU0836 unless you want something that the other boards have.
It can serve as a nice basis for the rest of your simpit.


2147483647 angels can dance on the point of a needle.
Add one and they will all turn into devils.
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 916
I
Member
Member
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 916
Thanks Jeroen. All I want is the minimum function as the pedals don't have brakes so all that is required is to provide Left and Right Yaw control.

Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 637
Sith Lord
Member
Sith Lord
Member
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 637
I don't believe the OP was asking about the G25.

For the Elites it's

Pin Colour Function
4 Black GND
5 Brown 3 Axis detection
9 Orange +5V (Toe Brakes)
13 Blue L Toe
14 Green R Toe


Ours is not to reason why. Ours is to do or die.
Tennyson

I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings..
Gillespie Magee, RCAF
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 2,249
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 2,249
Originally Posted By: Ltfransky
I don't believe the OP was asking about the G25.
No, but the adapter is one of the products offered by Leo Bodnar.


2147483647 angels can dance on the point of a needle.
Add one and they will all turn into devils.
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 3,960
S
Senior Member
Senior Member
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 3,960
Yes, the L.Bodnar USB adapter is suitable to make (or convert) pedals too.

Leo bodnar Logitech� G25, G27Driving Force� GT, Driving Force� Pro
or generic pedals USB adapter.

Diagram to wire rudder pedals.



Sokol1

Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 637
Sith Lord
Member
Sith Lord
Member
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 637
Originally Posted By: jeroen
Originally Posted By: Ltfransky
I don't believe the OP was asking about the G25.
No, but the adapter is one of the products offered by Leo Bodnar.


Cool. I didn't know about those.


Ours is not to reason why. Ours is to do or die.
Tennyson

I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings..
Gillespie Magee, RCAF
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 293
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 293
The elite pedals were conceived to work on the old 15 pin gameport, or with the Thrustmaster rudder pedal port. The hall modded version won't work on a gameport because it will provide a variable voltage in place of a variable resistance. the original pinout for thrustmaster pedals with toe brakes is this:


For the hall modded version the right end of the rudder pot is tied to pins 4 and 5, like the pots used for toebrakes. So you get +5V on pins 1 and 9, ground on pins 4 and 5, the signal for yaw on pin 11 and left and right brake on pin 13 and 14 respectively. If you look at a DB15 socket you will see that the pin numbers are probably molded in the plastic portion. you can easily wire these to a BU0832, and don't even need to take the pedals apart as every signal is available on the plug. You could also try to use the guts from a cheap USB joystick as an adapter, or modify your joystick or joke to add an external rudder pedal socket that can be turned on at the flick of a switch.

Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 916
I
Member
Member
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 916
Thanks for the replys it helps unfuddle my brain somewhat. I have tried contacting Leo via Email but no reply. I have applied for Forum registration but no return authentication ... he seems impossible to communicate with !

As to the BU0832 ... I cant find that on Leobodnar.com

Last edited by IvanK; 08/15/10 12:56 AM.
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 2,249
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 2,249
I think he meant BU0836.


2147483647 angels can dance on the point of a needle.
Add one and they will all turn into devils.
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 916
I
Member
Member
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 916
Ok thanks. Will the BU0836 work in Win 7 64Bit ?

Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 3,960
S
Senior Member
Senior Member
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 3,960
Actually versions work.



If I remember correctly with firmware up to 12/08.

Sokol1

Last edited by Sokol1; 08/15/10 05:14 PM.
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 916
I
Member
Member
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 916
Thanks.

Joined: May 2010
Posts: 108
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 108
Forget about getting a response from Leo - he's just too busy, or has enough business to worry about people with questions! When I bought my first board from Leo, he did write back - but about a year later (about 3 months ago) no one was getting any replies, and I wanted two more BU0836A's. People's posts on Leo's forum and elsewhere seemed to indicate that he was still quickly sending his product out, so I put in my order and received the boards pretty soon after.

Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 916
I
Member
Member
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 916
I cant even get a registration Email return for the forum !

Joined: May 2010
Posts: 108
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 108
Yeah, I wanted to post there that I had received the goods, but had to wait a week for it as well!

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 105
G
Member
Member
G Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 105
I'm still confused. I have the old TM RCS that currently plugs into my Cougar.

Can I get this http://www.leobodnar.com/products/DFPG25conn/

then connect it to my RCS? I do not have the TM Elite...just the old RCS which I love and I don't want to part with it.

Am I better off getting a new USB pedals?

Thanks for any advice.

Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 2,249
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 2,249
You will have to change the wiring on the pedal's pot.
The RCS is gameport pedal and uses only two pins of the pot.
Leo's pedal adapter is made to use all three pins of the pots.
See the diagram posted earlier by Sokol1.


2147483647 angels can dance on the point of a needle.
Add one and they will all turn into devils.
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,065
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,065
An even cheaper alternative is to buy a old USB controller on the cheap - Ebay or Goodwill - and use it's controller board.
You can assign their axes in any recent sim the way you like.
Some USB controllers - Logitech ATK3 and Microsoft Sidewinder USB - even work with Hall effect sensors.
Of course you can use regular pots as well.

Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 201
D
Member
Member
D Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 201
I'm confused.

How do toebrakes work this way?

Do you have to modify the pedals to put toe brakes on because if the Elite pedals don't have the toe brake movement,how does wiring make toe brakes work?

Sorry I'm dumb.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
September 15th Battle of Britain Day.
by RedToo - 09/15/26 08:06 PM
Population Patterns
by PanzerMeyer - 09/15/26 03:43 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,074,855 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1