SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 4
Hop To
Page 335 of 608 1 2 … 333 334 335 336 337 … 607 608
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,682
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,682
Chaps,

JRT, McG,

Thanks for the tip JRT, but our heavy Waterford crystal flower vase that usually takes two hands to lift will not be travelling in a graceful parabola towards my noble brow. Thanks to my thoughtfulness, a similar and appropriate 15th anniversary gift has been ribbon-wrapped for presentation in due course!


'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------



Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,602
Experten
Hotshot
Experten
Hotshot
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,602
Folks,

Dux:

Hmmmmm. A similarly hefty gift you say? This seems to indicate high confidence that your memory will never lapse again my friend. IMHO it might be wiser not to provide SWMNBN with such lethal ammunition. Sunday will be the occasion of our 39th wedding anniversary and wishing to surviv... I mean celebrate many more; I have long since limited my gifts to much softer and far less pointy giftables.

May I join what surely must be a multitude of others who delight in congratulating you and the Lady "J" on this auspicious occasion.


Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,682
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,682
Gents,

JRT,

Can this be real? I've monitored 136085 hits in the eight days from the 19th to 27th July! I wonder what SNAFU would have said about that?

I expect to attend (weather permitting) a large flying model aircraft event at the weekend at Hucknall Aerodrome, Nottingham, accompanied be Monsewer Nikon of course. My last visit was in 1961 to an air display including a Hurricane which is still airworthy today.



'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------



Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,602
Experten
Hotshot
Experten
Hotshot
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,602
Folks,

Dux:

Ask MG who knows the inner secrets and behind the scenes goings on far better than you or I. Not since your last posting of an authentic Olga Saga has there been so many hits. To what indeed then may we attribute this higher than expected interest and in such a short time span?

Hmmmm. Does this mean the model aircraft will be large or the crowd? wink I certainly envy your ability to attend these interesting events my friend. Please get some snaps to share.


Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 4,582
Likes: 39
Motorius Emeritus
Senior Member
Motorius Emeritus
Senior Member
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 4,582
Likes: 39
I wonder if it is a bot trawler, fishing for information as to where to send spam to, those extra, unaccounted views?

Taking this to the lab with me and asking some tuff questions of the keepers of the gate.


Jens C. Lindblad


Sent from my Desktop
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,602
Experten
Hotshot
Experten
Hotshot
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,602
Folks,

MG:

Could be. If so it is wasting its digital time as no one here would post a valid e-mail address unless it were a throw away. I have done mighty battles with SPAM-R-US in the past and take more care today.

Even if it is trawling it's not all bad, the extra hits may help you sell ads?

Hmmmm. I notice by the counter that I am in grave danger of attaining 3,000 posts in the next few weeks. I must slow down and let Dux catch up.

So be it then. We will all sit back now and read reams of interesting stuff for the next few days written entirely by our pal and the notorious creator of the anti-heroine Olga....

Take it away Dux.... Dux?..... DUX...DUX!


Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,682
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,682
OK gents...settle down, I am here and all present and correct although there are several people hereabouts who would give me an argument on that.

I am rather looking forward to the Hucknall visit on Sunday although the weather is quite mixed right now. I think the show will go ahead providing the wind is not too strong. It would be a shame to go to all that trouble of erecting the beer tent only to see cancellation. yep cheers


'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------



Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,602
Experten
Hotshot
Experten
Hotshot
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,602
Folks,

Dux:

Often present old boy but seldom correct.... wink Me too. We look forward to some fascinating reading before you toddle off to that happy tent and they draw your first pint.

Have more fun than the law allows or modesty permits but return to us with many incriminating photos primarily of sights beyond that of the four walls of the libations tent. 'Steady on' will be your motto and fuzzy, out of focus pics like I produce will not be acceptable.

Think on it a bit and you may recall that poorly put together movie of mine titled "Mustangs Over Berlin". In that I was surprisingly successful flying a BF 109 F2. Well, I tried it from the other fellow's cockpit last evening and I must shamefully admit that I was not so successful against those 109s and FW190s. The Mustang was harder to fight with for some reason. I found it harder to keep the energy up and eventually found myself low and slow with a hive load of angry bees buzzing about above me. I did get 2 109s but one was sheer luck and the other seemed to have a death wish. We lost one of 4 B-17Gs.

Tonight I plan to get up in a Spitfire and see if I have better luck in BoB2 against some 109s and He-111s. C51 wrote that he flew an Instant Action mission Monday night and bagged a Dornier. I have been neglecting my duty and not flying much of late so it is high time I got my finger out and got back up there.



Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,682
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,682
JRT,

I have also experienced the low and slow combat situation, particularly with the Polikarpov I-15. With this aircraft, the performance seems painfully slow compared with what it would have actually been like. In a dog-fight it should turn on a sixpence but it was like flying a housebrick when beaten down to ground level.

I went up to the long grass meadow the other day to test launch the repaired Fokker but found that the rotter had mown the field. Perhaps another month should see it grow again to the required height - about two and a half feet.


'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------



Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,602
Experten
Hotshot
Experten
Hotshot
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,602
Folks:

Dux:

On paper at least the I-153 / I-153 P "Tchayka", Polikarpov biplane should have an advantage of turn time against the 109s at 1000 m (sec.)(13.49 against 20.56 for the 109F). Power to weight and range were supposed to be in the Russian's favor. I have flown against them in a 109 and to me they seemed to be turning on a dime and leaving five cents change. It was a rude surprise. Of course the AI always has some uncanny advantage anyway. Thanks for that Oleg.

Hmmmm. Tall grass you say? This indicates to me that either there is no longer an under carriage on the Fokker or you are being inordinately careful considering your piloting skills and the robustness of your construction. Have you considered attaching some stout bedsprings and a parachute? wink

No one mentioned it as far as I know but yesterday I believe marked the anniversary of the beginning of the "Great War". And no I do not refer to the time SWMNBN found that centerfold cutie hanging in Dux's semi-restored three holer.

Trivia Maxima-
Did anyone notice that a set of Churchill's false teeth went for nearly $25,000 at auction? They were specially made to maintain the 65 year-old PM's famous lisp. He broke his partial plates often sometimes by flinging them across the room with a flick of his thumb when he was upset. It is said that the dentist who crafted them was prevented from entering military service by Churchill. The teeth that were sold were worn during the war years.


Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,682
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,682
JRT,

I saw that auction news item. The successful bidder also bought the microphone with which Churchill announced the end of the war.

Off to the MAC meet shortly. News and pics soon!


'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------



Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,602
Experten
Hotshot
Experten
Hotshot
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,602
Folks,

Dux:

Have a grand time and record it well. We who must sit and wait are eager for your return. By the by, Olga, wearing a beat up old WW1 Imperial Russian cavalry cossak "CHERKESKA" trench coat and German Africa Corps goggles but little else, was seen in the vicinity of your destination riding on her Russian Ural motorcycle. Yes, the beat up one with the sidecar. Mind your back...ummm and your front too. wink


Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,682
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,682
gents,

JRT,

Thanks for the warning. I see we passed the million mark but it don't mean much with the inflated figures of late. It crossed my mind that if the 'powers that be' thought of a way to bring us up to that unequalled figure we may decide to call it a day and rest on our laurels, such as they are?
Well...it won't be just yet.

We had a great day yesterday at the the large flying model event at Hucknall. That is the Rolls Royce airfield north-west of Nottingham. Some of the models and their performances were truly memorable, with a wide range covering from the Great War to the fifties as well as extreme flying sports jobs.
The weather had been forecast as fine with occasional showers but it stayed dry and mild.
There are quite few more pics to put up in due course.

These models were in the 80"-90" span range. The beautiful Spitfire MkIX and the Fokker Dr.1 which was the personal mount of Hauptmann Steinguzzler - but more of that later.





'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------



Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,602
Experten
Hotshot
Experten
Hotshot
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,602
Folks,

Dux:

Great shots. The new camera is in competent hands. The Spit and Fokker are fantastic. That "Jug" at the bottom must have some association with North Carolina as we have been called "Tarheels" since the battle of Gettysburg. Did you meet the builder?

MG will update us at some point as to the reliability of those seemingly inflated figures. I have been giving it some deep thought and if you are ready to call it quits I agree it is as good a time as any my friend. I do not however look forward to holding down the fort for the missing SNAFU (Mark Carroll) alone ever again. After such a lengthy wait I must finally admit that he will not be returning. Other than our very good friend MG and a couple of his mates whom I shall miss the "powers that be" have never once shown any interest in HWH whatsoever. I doubt they will be aware of its passing.

Therefore in all probability I will discharge LeRoy with a generous pension, brick up the archives to keep the man-sized bats and the beaver sized rats from annoying the neighbors, drape the furnishings, have one final heroic bash to clear out the wine cellar and the bar, kiss our last beermaid a fond farewell, turn out the lights and lock the ivy covered doors of HWH Hall until such a time as the prodigal SNAFU might return and once more open them again.

I am more than confident that Olga can fend for herself; you'll see to that. We will of course keep in touch by e-mail old sport if you wish so to do. I have grown accustomed to our brief conversations over these past 9 years and naturally I wish them to continue.

Say the word and it will be done.


Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 4,582
Likes: 39
Motorius Emeritus
Senior Member
Motorius Emeritus
Senior Member
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 4,582
Likes: 39
Lovely models there; the Spit seems like it needs a trip to the fitters for a 3 blade prop job.

Well, if you do decide to close down the mess, I can't say I blame either of you I must insist however of keeping in contact with you gents so we can continue our friendship with regular messages evenif delivered by dove or pidgeon.

I guess we'd need a popular demand by all our million readers to stay in business. So readers; come out now, before it will be too late!

The boffins in the lab shrug their shoulders at the mentioning of the quadrillion views - perhaps they like to look like they are keeping a secret from me, or perhaps they really don't know.


Jens C. Lindblad


Sent from my Desktop
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,682
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,682
JRT McG,

Should the thread close, I will of course continue to post items of BoB/aeronautical interest on our BoBII site because with the advent of SOW there can be no doubt that there will be a massive shift of interest to that thread, and what originally started as Rowan's BoB will be in danger of closure also! We will have our backs to the wall to keep even that going. I would like to reach the ten year mark though...

That we should keep in contact will be a certainty. No doubt about that.

I did not meet the owner of 'Tarheel Hal' but saw the model in flight. Another inexplicable coincidence eh? - you old tarheel you. WinkNGrin

On a more cheerful note:

A Gestapo officer bangs on the door.

A timorous voice enquires, 'Who is that?'

The officer replies, 'Ve vill ask zer kvestions....'


'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------



Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,682
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,682
Gentlemen visitors to HWH. May you linger and if possible, contribute.

Two more pics from the Hucknall event:

This beautiful Bucker Jungmeister, superbly weathered and flown to perfection.





'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------



Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,602
Experten
Hotshot
Experten
Hotshot
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,602
Folks,

Folks.

The Gestapo man bangs on the door of a swanky Berlin apartment. "Who Ist Dot in dere" the trench coated man shouts. The answer comes from within "Adolph Hitler".

There is a muffled choking sound. In a softer tone the Gestapo man asks "Mein Fuhrer do ju know who dis ist?" The irritated reply came swiftly "Nine". Another answer from the Gestapo agent sounded much farther away "Gut!"

The workmanship on those models is excellent. I wish that you had met the fellow who built the P47D. He might be from NC or at least have some sort of connection to it. Perhaps you will have the chance again some day.

Ten years it is then. We'll hang in there until we mark our tenth anniversary and end it then. By that time we'll likely know if BoB has survived yet another onslaught by a contender for the throne. There is something magical about old BoB that seems to defy all logic. It toddles on with the help of its aging fans and constant transfusions from those delightfully devoted chaps of the BDG.

I will not be adding another new sim no matter how amazing the graphics may be or how long the list of bells, bows and whistles. There is no point unless it is an older sim like IL2 is. So I and perhaps many others like me will struggle on well beyond the understanding of those with more powerful systems both digital and physical. Bob is a survivor when you think on it. It is a wonderful enigma. Thanks Rowan, Empire, BDG, and Shockwave. Thanks too to all those who have stopped and read or posted here on the forum and this thread. That has greatly enriched the BoB experience for me and I appreciate it.

I thank you two mates for your company in the past and for your pledge of a steady influence in the future. I feel I have made real friends here and the value of that to me is beyond measure.





Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,682
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,682
JRT,

Hear, hear, and Amen to that!

There is a two-day scale jet event at the end of September so that 'Jug' owner may be there should there be any flying after the main event - as there was the other day.


'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------



Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,602
Experten
Hotshot
Experten
Hotshot
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,602
Folks,

Dux:

Excellent! Now I have two things to look forward to in the very, very good month of September. My birthday and the RC/model event. To be honest having already had 65 birthdays I look forward to the plane event the most.

I heard a famous North Carolinian author who had studied at Cambridge make a surprising statement comparing Brits to Americans in how they maintain friendships. According to him Americans tend to make more tentative and less long lasting friendly relationships while Brits make stronger bonds and friendships for life.

Doubtless this a subjective and rather too broad a statement but interesting just the same. I can say that of the hundreds of international acquaintances I have made here; and after nine years, it is a scholarly Brit musician of considerable wit and writing talent, a fun loving musically talented Canadian and a much younger, truly thoughtful and touchingly generous Dane who linger on. Forgive me for waxing so intimately in a public place but you gentlemen are the air that fills my parachute as it slowly drifts toward the sunset and into that great beyond.

Sob.....OK, OK the silence is embarrassing the hell out of me too. Make that a pint guzzling geriatric guitar plunker with writing talent, a retired shaggy haired Canadian horn blower and a self-employed rubbing alcohol scented speed freak Danish chick magnet. Does everyone feel better now?

Hasty Disclaimer:

The possibly maudlin sentiments expressed here may or may not reflect the views of SimHq and its management or any other person or persons now living or dead.


Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
Page 335 of 608 1 2 … 333 334 335 336 337 … 607 608

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,076,098 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1