SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 74 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 … 73 74
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 17,733
J
Joe Offline
Veteran
Veteran
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 17,733
Originally Posted By: jeroen
If it uses hall sensors then there must be some movement.
Hmmm, good point.

I have a feeling the "end of the era of gimbals" is just a marketing statement. Everyone complains about the Cougar's stock gimbals, so it sounds good to say they're getting rid of them.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Nov 1999
Posts: 529
N
Member
Member
N Offline
Joined: Nov 1999
Posts: 529
It's not just a marketing statement bud. The internals are a complete departure from the F22 / Cougar design.

More news to follow on that and other aspects I'm sure.

Cheers

James


James "Nutty" Hallows
ViperDrivers
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 3,960
S
Senior Member
Senior Member
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 3,960
My 0,02 = This Warthog is "force sensor" stick like X-65F... Affter all, many Cougar uses spend almost U$ 1000 to MOD yours to force sense...

And, no make sense continue use pots in "hight end" HOTAS: totay all in one HALL sensor is cheap than a reasonable pot... Luck of end users.

Sokol1

Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 107
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 107
How can it be a force sensor stick and yet still use Hall sensors? They need movement to work. It would also seem pretty pointless developing such a high spec stick/throttle (given the quoted resolution specs) modelled on a specific aircraft and then go with a totally different mechanism than the real bird...

I'm assuming from James's comments that they have developed or are using a different movement mechanism than traditional gimbals - perhaps it is some kind of semi-rigid material that needs no moving parts that allows the stick full movement travel with a 3d Hall sensor mounted below or some kind of rigid spring?

Last edited by Magic Man; 01/07/10 09:51 PM.
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 79
P
Junior Member
Junior Member
P Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 79
Seems it's using the same tech as the Thrustmaster T.16000M (H.E.A.R.T - HALLEFFECT ACCURATE TECHNOLOGY�), although much higher resolution (T.16000M 14 bit, new Warthog 16 bit on stick), so I do believe this thing will move, and it got the same ''ball'' underneath, only thing is that judging the picture from the stick, it looks like there isn't much movement area, so still not really sure.








Last edited by Proost; 01/07/10 10:07 PM.
Joined: Nov 1999
Posts: 529
N
Member
Member
N Offline
Joined: Nov 1999
Posts: 529
It is not a force sensor stick. The stick moves.

I'm a big fan of force sensor sticks. I use a FSSB R2 modded Cougar daily flying the F-16 in the 87th, and am therefore a big fan of force sensor technology. But if I could only have one stick, particularly if I flew WW2 sims, I'd definitely want one that moves. So I think it's a brave move for any company to consider mass sales of a force sensor stick. But kudos on others for throwing more choice our way. Always to be applauded. wink

Nutty



James "Nutty" Hallows
ViperDrivers
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 107
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 107
Originally Posted By: jocko-
I did some GIMPing, here's what we are probably looking at based on the new 'pit shots of the DCS A-10 sim, and the flash ad:



I thought you were just hoping that's what the throttle would feature but I see now from the add that it will indeed feature additional controls, switches etc.! Great stuff.

Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 79
P
Junior Member
Junior Member
P Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 79
Originally Posted By: Magic Man
Originally Posted By: jocko-
I did some GIMPing, here's what we are probably looking at based on the new 'pit shots of the DCS A-10 sim, and the flash ad:



I thought you were just hoping that's what the throttle would feature but I see now from the add that it will indeed feature additional controls, switches etc.! Great stuff.


That throttle looks really awsome yes, I just wish they would sell them separate, saitek same, for me I rather have rudder on my stick, since I can't sit comfortable with foot rudders. Got the Thrustmaster 16000M and while the stick is great, the throttle on it not, so having the option buying such great throttle(s) as a stand alone product, would be my wish.

Last edited by Proost; 01/07/10 10:01 PM.
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 17,733
J
Joe Offline
Veteran
Veteran
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 17,733
Thanks for the (small bit of) info, James. I couldn't stop myself from speculating today, but I will just sit back and wait for official info. smile

Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 3,960
S
Senior Member
Senior Member
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 3,960
Quote:

It is not a force sensor stick. The stick moves


Nutty,

This statement has decided many pre-orders. burger

Sokol1


Last edited by Sokol1; 01/07/10 10:18 PM.
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 420
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 420
Can anyone give a rough estimation of when it will hit the market? I may have missed it, and I apologize if I did, but there will be some money in the budget this March so I'd like to plan my strategy now for getting it in the house under the radar!

Thanks


DFord8 aka SlapStik
Intel i7 2600K SB, DDR3 1600 8 gb ram, Win7 64,
EVGA GTX 570 1280gb, Intel 80gb SSD.
TM Warthog #1547, MFD pack, CH PP & TIR4


Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 293
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 293
Originally Posted By: Nutty87th
It is not a force sensor stick. The stick moves.

I'm a big fan of force sensor sticks. I use a FSSB R2 modded Cougar daily flying the F-16 in the 87th, and am therefore a big fan of force sensor technology. But if I could only have one stick, particularly if I flew WW2 sims, I'd definitely want one that moves. So I think it's a brave move for any company to consider mass sales of a force sensor stick. But kudos on others for throwing more choice our way. Always to be applauded. wink

Nutty



A bit unrelated to this, since it's a complete product. However, it think it should be possible to actually have both. Use force sensors on the stick, detecting the bending moment, and a centering spring underneath the assembly with tension adjustment and ultimately stick lock to sort out the amount of movement allowed, if any, and strength of return. Adding in force feedback would still be messy, though. Btw, love my Cougar, and love Foxy, I just wish it could run it in Linux too, but you can't have everything...

Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 107
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 107

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 951
N
Member
Member
N Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 951
Will Guillemot/Thrustmaster stop being such a cocktease already?

Even with all the rampant CES coverage, I still haven't seen anything concrete on the HOTAS Warthog yet!

This could very well be my next HOTAS (I might-just might-sell my Cougar to get one), but I have to make sure this one's exactly what I want first!

Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,298
R
Plankowner
Member
Plankowner
Member
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,298
Originally Posted By: Sokol1
Quote:

It is not a force sensor stick. The stick moves


Nutty,

This statement has decided many pre-orders. burger

Sokol1



Yes it has....thank goodness that TM isn't going down that road.


Star Citizen Referal Code
STAR-MP6J-VFH7

i7-13700K @ 3.40GHz
32GB RAM
GeForce 3060RTX
MSI MAG Z790 Tomahawk
lots of SSD's and a good old fashioned 1TB HDD
Samsung G9 Odyssey 49"
TrackIR 5 with Track Clip Pro
Windows 11 64bit
Warthog #1397...compliments of SimHQ
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,600
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,600
Originally Posted By: NamelessPFG

Even with all the rampant CES coverage, I still haven't seen anything concrete on the HOTAS Warthog yet!


Seems like they didn't show it at the CES or I must have missed it. Shame! When can we expect more info?


The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. - Douglas Adams
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 58
D
Junior Member
Junior Member
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 58
I was expecting full disclosure in CES...we didn't get that. Actually, the only thing we got was a slighty updated flash ad on their site.

I have feeling we will be waiting it for a long time frown

Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 13
B
Junior Member
Junior Member
B Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 13
Anybody know what type of rudder pedals it can use - USB, 15 pin, or proprietary? Be nice if I could use the Simpeds I currently use with my Cougar.

V/R

Bob Mercer

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,600
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,600
I strongly hope that it will be seperate from the rudder pedals, just like Saitek or CH.


The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. - Douglas Adams
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 3,960
S
Senior Member
Senior Member
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 3,960
No one HOTAS or stick restrain use stand alone USB Rudder Pedal. So...

You can use stand alone rudder pedal with X-52/PRo that HAVE twist rudder, just reconfigure axis.

This is problem (USB HOTAS plus stand alone rudder pedal) if you use old games, ie Red Baron3D.

The advantage of Cougar + gameport (today only Simped or VKB have compatible versions) rudder pedal is that is turned in one virtual device for Windows (CH do this too).

Sokol1

Page 5 of 74 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 … 73 74

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
September 15th Battle of Britain Day.
by RedToo - 09/15/26 08:06 PM
Population Patterns
by PanzerMeyer - 09/15/26 03:43 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,070,863 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1