SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Masaq #2873816 10/05/09 09:03 PM
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 921
B
Flight Instructor
Member
Flight Instructor
Member
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 921
Very nice replies Masaq, nice and professional. Seems like some people that don't have fun with this sim would be happier if nobody was having fun with it.

I learned the wind was opposite when I read the mission editor tutorial. It didn't actually say they were opposite, but whatever it did say let me figure it out.

For takeoff I usually just take off whatever direction it is pointed, or whatever direction is necessary to avoid obstacles.

For landing if there is a wind you can just make some turns while watching the ground and figure out the wind direction.

I have also noticed that the flares look like they drift with the wind, I haven't tested this, but if they indeed do drift with wind, then that would be a great way to check direction and speed.

If I get wounded or damaged to the point where I can't fight efficiently then I will head back to friendly skies and land. I don't always go back to base, but just get on the friendly side of the front and usually land. Don't want captured after all, even though it's hard to ruin a kill streak of 0 thumbsup

If I ever get above 0 that's usually when a flak shell hits me in the face.


bananadancebananadancebananadancebananadance attack ar15 bananadancebananadancebananadancebananadance
God damned bananas!!!
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 457
M
T&T Admin
Member
T&T Admin
Member
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 457
No worries HT - nice to know that even with our current (admittedly, rather haphazard) mission list, we're still topping out the list of playable servers for most of you guys. smile

I've got to edit the missions anyway - going to put our TS and website details at the start of each mission, along with the mission's creator - so I'll try and slip the weather into the briefings then.

The revision won't go live for a week or so though - this weekend is being spent visting my gf, a good 550-600 mile round trip that I only get to make every three weeks or so... opening up the mission editor on my lappy won't be on the list of priorities biggrin

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 541
V
Member
Member
V Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 541
Originally Posted By: TX-EcoDragon
Double quoting myself from another thread:

Yes there is an issue with the RoF mission editor as well as the pre-made misions with respect to wind direction... Quoting myself in another thread:

"Another important point for mission builders to understand is that the RoF Mission Editor wind directions are the opposite of the standard convention...


Thanks for sharing. I must have missed this post.
As you perhaps know, I visit these forums frequently, but it's still very easy to miss posts like this (or forget them!)
This is why I suggested a RoF Wiki when Neoqb asked the community for features/services.

I may have to set this up myself for the time being!

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 236
T
G's Please
Member
G's Please
Member
T Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 236
Those posts were from the rof.com forums. . .my mentioning that they were quotes was more to explain why my comments weren't exactly specific to the comments in this thread. I'm just awful busy @ work!

For now, try the Aerostats as windsocks guys! Sometime just watch them from the F11 camera to see the interesting ways they respond to wind, and if you set up an array of them you can see even more interesting things about how RoF wind works. . .it's just a shame that with that fairly dynamic and somewhat realistic wind that we don't have windsocks to show it!


S!
TX-EcoDragon

http://www.txsquadron.com
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 24,718
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 24,718
The funny thing is that just having a windsock that weathervanes would be a boon...they could add drooping for wind velocity later on.

Can the static object be rotated in the mission builder?

And, um, what's an aerostat?


The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
Dart #2874357 10/06/09 05:56 PM
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 587
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 587
Originally Posted By: Dart


And, um, what's an aerostat?


Balloons?


You can get used to everything, but icicle in the a**. It melts before you get used to it.
Dart #2874425 10/06/09 08:11 PM
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 541
V
Member
Member
V Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 541
Originally Posted By: Dart
...Can the static object be rotated in the mission builder?


No, it's part of an airfield object. Perhaps if I could ungroup it, but I think that is impossible.
Anyway, that would be the simplest solution: Make the windsock a seperate object and have the mission builder set it up correctly...problem solved!

Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 10,618
M
Babelfish Immune
Veteran
Babelfish Immune
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 10,618
Make the windsock a seperate object and have the mission builder set it up correctly...problem solved!

Why hasn't this been done already I wonder, yes it seems a very simple solution Vanderstok. But only now you've come up with the idea I mean Smile2

It wouldn't have to sag or be expressing the wind's force initially but would be a simple directional indicator to begin with: to be upgraded at a later date perhaps

Ok where do I sign the Static Windsock Objects For RoF petition

Where a sagging/filling animation means the later dynamic windsock model which supercedes the mechanic sucking his index finger and pointing

I can create a dynamic windsock animation if someone has plans/photos etc of a real WW1 windsock, I have access to a wind-tunnel Smile2

Ming

http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o63/M...InTheCrunch.flv

http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o63/Mington/?action=view&current=MoreSilkLike_1.flv


'You are either a hater or you are not' Roman Halter
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 541
V
Member
Member
V Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 541
I'll post the idea on the official RoF suggestions forum. Then, if there is no reaction we'll make a poll of it. If there is still no official answer, we'll switch to ranting, moaning and posting threads with lots of capitals in the title...

I think this is the proper form isn't it? smile

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 618
G
Member
Member
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 618
If only there were a tiny windsock-shaped aerostat on a short leash...

Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,380
F
Senior Member
Senior Member
F Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,380
hahaha

Originally Posted By: Vanderstok
I'll post the idea on the official RoF suggestions forum. Then, if there is no reaction we'll make a poll of it. If there is still no official answer, we'll switch to ranting, moaning and posting threads with lots of capitals in the title...

I think this is the proper form isn't it? smile

I mentioned this back during the alpha testing, so I'd switch to the moaning right off.

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 457
M
T&T Admin
Member
T&T Admin
Member
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 457
Originally Posted By: Gr.Viper
If only there were a tiny windsock-shaped aerostat on a short leash...


That would be kinda cute :p

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,075,508 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1