SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 10,952
J
Duke of URL
Veteran
Duke of URL
Veteran
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 10,952
Completely different dev teams Snacky. BoP is Gaijin, SoW is Maddox.


Commence to Jigglin'
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 13,180
Likes: 3
B
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 13,180
Likes: 3
Oi, to me the demo suggests more of a serious effort than just a money grab

In one interview Oleg Maddox said he thought consoles were not a good platform for simulations, and seemed disinterested in BOP, his partner in the interview (Sokoya - that's not it but close???} seemed more enthusiastic saying he will be picking up the game as soon as it's out.

Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 35
K
Junior Member
Junior Member
K Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 35
What's the frame rate like on the 360? An editor/podcast host for one of the other sites I visited said it was pretty horrible. Almost slide show bad once you start shooting at stuff.

That said, I did just play the demo on the PS3. Looks great. Arcade mode is very arcade-y. Being able to hit 1000km/h in a Spit Mk II with WEP in level flight seems maybe a *little* too fast. Simulator mode seemed better, but yeah, not quite on the same level as 1946. Definitely impressed overall, though. Didn't care for the controls at all, but that was just because I don't like using the gamepad to fly.

Also, as a fairly active IL2 player, it's very, very hard for me to go from 1946 with my TrackIR and full CH gear to no TrackIR and a gamepad. I just might pick it up and get a PS3 joystick though. Maybe. I don't know. I'm still pretty happy with 1946 and I love the multiplayer in it.

Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 1,268
F
Member
Member
F Offline
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 1,268

Consoles are not great platforms for simulations but this shows that they are pretty darn good and just what could be done. If only the input options were not so limited.

Having to click-down and HOLD the right stick to 'mouse look' while trying to maintain control is ludicrous (PS3 version). Why not make this toggle, or just a control option to have it as a toggle? Or make commands available if you have a USB keyboard or use the official snap-on keypad?

Gamepads are terrible but it gives me an excuse for being so bad at it smile


Richard - You Have Control
Tricubic Studios Ltd. (dev blog)
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,581
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,581
Devs have said that it runs at 30fps. It also uses the flight model and AI from the pc version, so it should feel familiar.
The Aviator flight stick is cheap and adds a lot to the game, if it can fit in with where you game. It can also be used on pc for those that don't already have something better on there.


·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 28,506
M
Lifer
Lifer
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 28,506
If you plan on getting this flight sim for the 360, a AV8R-02 is highly recommended, not the 01...the 02 is for the Xbox 360 AND PC.

or another working flight stick... besides arcade mode the gamepad is NOT a good alternative for this one IMO.

Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 5,186
L
360 Gamertag = Leemz
Hotshot
360 Gamertag = Leemz
Hotshot
L Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 5,186
I got the Saitek AV8R-02 for my birthday last month. It works great with the game.

I hate using a gamepad with any flying game. The stick is worth the price.


"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
Edgar Allan Poe
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 10,952
J
Duke of URL
Veteran
Duke of URL
Veteran
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 10,952
I have it too. I found a site that details how to mod it and move all those buttons on the back of the base up by the throttle and even how to remap some of them up to the stick by switching wires so I'm considering getting out my drill and soldering iron and going at the stick.

I think the link is in my favorites at home but if not I can find again and post it if anyone's interested.


Commence to Jigglin'
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 13,180
Likes: 3
B
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 13,180
Likes: 3
That'd be cool Jeevz

Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 390
I
Freelance artist
Member
Freelance artist
Member
I Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 390
Just played the demo on PS3 - its awesome, but anything above "Arcade" setting definitely needs flight stick. With the gamepad is a pain in the a**.


"Don't mention the war!"
Joined: Nov 1999
Posts: 18,786
R
No one of consequence
Veteran
No one of consequence
Veteran
R Offline
Joined: Nov 1999
Posts: 18,786
I think you likely need a flight stick in simulation mode... though, by lowering the sensitivity on the stick, I was able to fly OK. The biggest problem I see with the game in simulation mode is that I have a really hard time picking out targets on the ground.

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 28,506
M
Lifer
Lifer
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 28,506
Me too... i actually preferred the middle mode.

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 3,868
D
(Formerly Joe Stallin')
Senior Member
(Formerly Joe Stallin')
Senior Member
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 3,868
I don't know if I should grab the saitek aviator, or somehow get my hands on a Hori flight stick.

Does anyone have any opinions on the matter?

Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,581
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,581
Originally Posted By: Razorback
The biggest problem I see with the game in simulation mode is that I have a really hard time picking out targets on the ground.


Agreed. I can get the flight down, but losing a pursuer is still hard for me. I love the flight--and adjusting the elevator sensitivity helped me too.
Seeing the targets is just plain difficult, especially if you don't look when they happen to be firing. Very satisfying when you do hit them though.
I suspect Realistic will be the favored mode due to that.

RE: Hori
You'll pay around $200 for that. Just not worth it, it's not like you get programmable controls like a good stick on the pc. The Aviator (360/PS3) covers the bases with the buttons and the price is right. It's not perfect, but good enough.
I think the Hori uses a rocker for rudder control, which it seems that people don't care for as much as a twist stick.


·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 3,868
D
(Formerly Joe Stallin')
Senior Member
(Formerly Joe Stallin')
Senior Member
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 3,868
Thanks Kryp,

I just like the idea of the throttle HOTAS setup. I think I will go with the Aviator though. Seems to make more sense.

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 28,506
M
Lifer
Lifer
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 28,506
The AV8R-02 seems to be the best bet for a WW2 game IMO... now if we had a real flight sim like Lock On, then a full blown HOTAS would be nice...

I'm sure we can get something going with BoP... we'll work on it together see how the MP works, friendly dogfights etc etc... if Sim mode is to much, then maybe realism more...casual (for me) is out of the Q. reminds me of that other WW2 game on the Xbox.

Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,581
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,581
They finally confirmed the US date is now the 8th. Gamestop isn't full of it after all. LOL
Don't know why other sources still show the 15th.


·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 12,110
P
Veteran
Veteran
P Offline
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 12,110
You mean Blazing Angels 1 and 2?
IL2:BoP wasn't that much different graphic wise IMO (different gameplay though).

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 383
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 383
Originally Posted By: Magnum
The AV8R-02 seems to be the best bet for a WW2 game IMO... now if we had a real flight sim like Lock On, then a full blown HOTAS would be nice...



This HOTAS is available for ps3, anyone tried it?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thrustmaster-T-Flight-Hotas-PS3-compatible/dp/B001DMUCAC/ref=pd_cp_vg_h__1


Cogito Ergo Sum, I think
Joined: Nov 1999
Posts: 18,786
R
No one of consequence
Veteran
No one of consequence
Veteran
R Offline
Joined: Nov 1999
Posts: 18,786
Woohoo! I just won this game in the Morse code contest! Awww yeah!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
September 15th Battle of Britain Day.
by RedToo - 09/15/26 08:06 PM
Population Patterns
by PanzerMeyer - 09/15/26 03:43 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,071,094 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1