SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#2764595 07/06/09 09:37 PM
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 791
I
Member
Member
I Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 791
This'll sound kinda soppy, but I just wanted to post how much fun I've been having since I discovered the naval surface sims, Ticonderoga and Janes Fleet Command.

When I was a kid, during and after the Vietnam War, cruisers and destroyers were still cool. I remember the Navy recruiting cards in my Dad's Popular Mechanics mags and just staring at them. My passion for them was at least equal to my kicks and giggles over jet fighters. But as I grew up and "Naval Aviation" took over, the Navy became less and less interesting (although I still retained a passion for the Tomcat- another subject for another time).

A decade or so ago I found a game "AEGIS" and played it, but it was too arcadey. Then I discovered Ticonderoga where you're a virtual skipper on a CG. IT was fun, tho the graphics quickly got old. Now I'm playing Fleet Command (interlaced with TICO) and it's loads of fun. I checked out Dangerous Waters, but, awesome as it is, I simply don't have time to learn all those controls.

Anyway, having a ball. Just wish there were a few more graphics mods for it to adjust water colors, ship graphics, etc. Lots of DB mods, but I'm not there yet.

Anyway, how cool it is! Thank programmers, wherever you are!


Fritz Gunter
[email protected]
http://www.iamfritz.com <- It's Only Gotten Better

Lenovo Quadcore 3.1 GHZ Proc, 6 GB RAM and NVidia GeForce GT 632 (2 GB Vid RAM) Direct X 11 Windows 7
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

IamFritz #2764684 07/07/09 12:23 AM
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,038
N
Member
Member
N Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,038
Jane's Fleet Command was interesting and I too lost many hours accomplishing those missions.


NightCrawler
"The Devil's Advocate!" smile
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 11,410
Likes: 10
Pilgrim
Veteran
Pilgrim
Veteran
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 11,410
Likes: 10
Hey iamfritz. Did you get the Naval Warfare Project for Fleet Command? I forget all what it adds but I believe it adss a bunch of new weapons/units/missions and such.


John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

Coot #2764772 07/07/09 03:00 AM
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 791
I
Member
Member
I Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 791
I've been reading about it. Not sure how much modding and so forth I want to get involved with...had enough of that with Janes F-18 and Falcon 4. When things slow down I'll stick my nose deeper in that forum.


Fritz Gunter
[email protected]
http://www.iamfritz.com <- It's Only Gotten Better

Lenovo Quadcore 3.1 GHZ Proc, 6 GB RAM and NVidia GeForce GT 632 (2 GB Vid RAM) Direct X 11 Windows 7
IamFritz #2764807 07/07/09 03:41 AM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 11,410
Likes: 10
Pilgrim
Veteran
Pilgrim
Veteran
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 11,410
Likes: 10
Its a painless install if I remember correctly. I believe it comes with two self-installers.


John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

Coot #2764904 07/07/09 06:27 AM
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,699
N
One Man Wolfpack
Hotshot
One Man Wolfpack
Hotshot
N Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,699
Fritz: once you try NWP for Fleet Command, you'll never want to play it any other way. It adds a whole new layer of realism in terms of ESM, ECM, weapons modeling, aircraft and loadouts...I could keep going.


" And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"- John F. Kennedy

"NUKE-ular. It's pronounced NUKE-ular."- Homer Simpson

AMD FX-8350 Vishera @ 4.0 Ghz
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB
CM Storm Series Trooper
Samsung 840 series 500 GB OS/ Game drive
WD Green 2TB Media Drive
Thermaltake Black Widow 850W PSU
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 791
I
Member
Member
I Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 791
Dies it include new 3-D models, like for the new flight 3 DDGs? Does launching a helo take longer? Things like that too?

You guys definitely have me thinking more about it now.

Last edited by iamfritz; 07/07/09 08:24 PM.

Fritz Gunter
[email protected]
http://www.iamfritz.com <- It's Only Gotten Better

Lenovo Quadcore 3.1 GHZ Proc, 6 GB RAM and NVidia GeForce GT 632 (2 GB Vid RAM) Direct X 11 Windows 7
IamFritz #2765664 07/07/09 10:59 PM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 11,410
Likes: 10
Pilgrim
Veteran
Pilgrim
Veteran
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 11,410
Likes: 10
Here's the website that has the NWP mod. Naval Warfare Simulations

The NWP mod for Fleet Command is the on the fourth thread down with all the info.

Here's a link to the pdf manual that's from the same location.

NWP manual


John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

Coot #2765956 07/08/09 10:42 AM
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,588
G
Member
Member
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,588
Did they ever fix all the bugs with it? I loved the NWP mod, but Fleet command was so buggy to me that it made some of those missions nigh on Impossible, so I stopped playing.


All right, sweethearts, what are you waiting for? Breakfast in bed? Another glorious day in the corps! A day in the Marine Corps is like a day on the farm. Every meal's a banquet! Every paycheck a fortune! Every formation a parade! I LOVE the corps!
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 202
G
Member
Member
G Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 202
I used to have Aegis and Ticonderoga. Another good one from the same developer (Software Sorcery)
was called Fast Attack and is a simulation of a Los Angeles class sub. I still have my copy and see it is worth $113.94 according to amazon. I have issues trying to get it to run now because it is one of those pseudo dos/windows games. I can get it to run but without sound.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EX1YDU/qid=1146191074/sr=11-1/ref=sr_11_1?n=468642

http://www.subsim.com/ssr/fastattack.html

guppy #2813602 07/09/09 01:44 AM
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,567
E
Senior Member
Senior Member
E Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,567
Use dosbox, should run fine:

TO INSTALL:

mount c c:\mydosbox (or whatever folder name you want to use)
mount d d\: -t cdrom (or whatever the letter is for your cd/dvd drive)
d: install

TO RUN: This assumes you have made an image of your original disk, and mounted it! Use whatever drive letter you have mounted your FA image on - mine was "m". So running it is a little more complex than some dos games.

A bat file that only mounts your directory above the Fast Attack installation should work just fine. Here are the contents of my bat file:

dosbox.exe C:\mydosbox fast.exe -c "MOUNT m m:\ -t cdrom" -fullscreen

From the resulting dosbox "c:" prompt:

cd sierra\fast
fast

You would alter the path for your own install and directories. Mine is "mydosbox\Sierra\fast" Note that this bat fails to execute the fast.exe command for reasons unknown to me. The bat file is in the dosbox main directory, wherever you installed it. So you would manually launch from your prompt.


Eugene
i9-9600K
GeForce 2080ti
Creative Z
Win10
32 gig RAM
Cougar
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 791
I
Member
Member
I Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 791
I've been playing it when I get the chance and it seems to be working pretty well. I got mine back a decade ago- Janes ad said if you've bought Janes USAF, JF-18 or Janes Fleet Command in the last year then send us the UPC and for shipping alone we'll send you the other two. I'd bought USAF, so I got JF-18 and FC for free. Now, FC sat in my box for almost all that time, but I play it now and it seems fine for a decade old title. I have no idea which version it is. Tons of fun. I'd do a complete switch to Dangerous Waters, but the only US surface ship they have there is the Perry FFGs, and I'm more a lover of the Ticos and Burkes, so it's hard for me to commit.


Fritz Gunter
[email protected]
http://www.iamfritz.com <- It's Only Gotten Better

Lenovo Quadcore 3.1 GHZ Proc, 6 GB RAM and NVidia GeForce GT 632 (2 GB Vid RAM) Direct X 11 Windows 7
IamFritz #2820825 07/17/09 06:54 PM
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 791
I
Member
Member
I Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 791
OK, now I've been through the NWP forums for FC, and haven't found anything on sea textures, or ways to up the gamma on the 3-D screen.

When I run the game in software mode, the sea and sky are lighter, but text is garbled and FPS is rock bottom.

Any suggestions?


Fritz Gunter
[email protected]
http://www.iamfritz.com <- It's Only Gotten Better

Lenovo Quadcore 3.1 GHZ Proc, 6 GB RAM and NVidia GeForce GT 632 (2 GB Vid RAM) Direct X 11 Windows 7

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
How to Decommission Obsolete Robots....
by F4UDash4 - 10/04/26 05:54 PM
J-B Weld
by Terl9999 - 10/02/26 11:54 PM
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,082,936 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1