SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 4
N
Junior Member
Junior Member
N Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 4
Over Flanders Fields Between Heaven and Hell

Foreword

I have had the privilege of reviewing a final beta version of this sim, for which I am indeed grateful. I am and always have been a supporter, sometimes quite vocal, of the creators and developers of Over Flanders Fields Between Heaven and Hell. I have watched and waited like so many of you for the ultimate version of this project to arrive. That moment is upon us and I am delighted to share this brief review with you.

I am not proposing to reveal all of what I have experienced in the short time I have had it available to me .I learn and see more each time I come to it and I expect to continue to do so. For me this advance opportunity to see what has been achieved has been a pure delight.

I want you to come with me on a journey back across the decades to a time when Europe was gripped by the pestilence of a Great War on a scale never before seen.

As is the way of mankind, it spared not a moment in seizing upon the latest of its most wonderful inventions and bending it to a sole purpose- the destruction of men.

And so it was that just over a decade after the Wright brothers first took to the skies at Kittyhawk, for the first time aircraft, made of little more than wood, canvas and wire, began to take to the skies above northern France. Thereby, at a single stroke was added a further dimension to the traditional theatres of war which led man against man to pit themselves against each other in the new war in the air.

Over Flanders Fields Between Heaven and Hell

As a result of the prodigious efforts of a small but highly dedicated team of enthusiasts from right across the world, you now have the means to gently detach yourself from this modern world and to travel back nearly a century in time and to experience for yourselves the fully immersive experience of becoming a pilot in the Great War.

This beautifully packaged simulation delivers fully on its commitment to provide a total, authentic and immersive Great War pilot experience.

As the opening credits appear on your screen for the first time you will immediately appreciate the thought and effort that has so evidently been put in this sim�s creation.

As the spectacular graphics begin you will hear the opening chords of the epic �Over Flanders Fields� theme so sympathetically written by Matt Milne which is both uplifting and poignant.

I urge you to allow this combination of music and the stunning graphics to do its work .If you allow it do so, I believe you will find, as I did, that it sucks you in, as it is no doubt intended to do , and fully prepares you to suspend your disbelief and to enter a long lost and exhilarating world, filled with the sound of the wind in the wires, creaking canvas, the low boom of the field artillery and the unwelcome staccato rattle of angry machine gun fire.

As the opening theme fades and the mood becomes more sombre as Samuel Barber�s �Adagio for Strings� (so familiar to those of us who have followed this sim from its earlier freeware versions) is deployed to brilliant effect. More amazing graphics follow, teasing at what lies ahead for you.

Now, in the right frame of mind to enter this unfamiliar world, you are brought into the main gateway screen, the OFF Manager.

From this screen you may enlist pilots and elect to enter Quick Combat, Campaign, Missions or Multiplay mode. You may also select Workshop which permits you to make changes to the way your sim may be altered to suit your personal taste in game play. Everything is intuitive.

Campaign mode is at the heart of this sim. It is a dynamic not a static campaign. This is where you will experience the very best this sim has to offer you giving you a real understanding of how it was for those brave young men who fought the aerial war in the skies. Missions in campaign may be eventful or quiet .You may be alone or with a wingman or in full majestic squadron. The object is to survive.

For those of you who prefer more immediate action, Quick Combat mode is available and Mission mode also. If time is at a premium for you, these modes can provide immense satisfaction. For those of you who wish to fly online, by private IP to private IP, there is also a Multiplay mode.

If you have the time and the inclination Campaign mode is, without a doubt, the most fulfilling of the modes and the mode which I would recommend. This is because Campaign mode provides you with the time to fully appreciate the virtual world around you and the stunning detail of the aircraft which has been so beautifully crafted.

This sim is literally alive! .As you fly along, you can witness great battles taking place in the trenches below you .You can see the awesome effect that this total warfare had upon the countryside all over the Western Front in the great scars and gouges in the landscape All the time you are looking around you, scanning the horizon and looking high and low or for puffs of archie possibly betraying the presence of your enemy .Specks appear low to the horizon. Let battle commence!

So much care has gone into setting the scene appropriately for you .There are hundreds of different squadrons in which you may fly .You may fly for the Entente or the Central Powers side, in fighters or in bombers and in different months and years. There are literally thousands of accurate skins available to you for your aircraft .Hundreds of man hours have gone into creation of these. Do spend the time to try them out. They are spectacular, particularly those from the Central Powers!

There is a large amount of information available to you in the form of a continual stream of front pages of newspapers weather reports, squadron and aircraft statistics. These all play their individual part in deepening the immersion in which this sim excels.

The first time you climb into the cockpit of these aircraft, start your engine, push your throttle forward, gently pick up speed, let the nose rise under control and sweep gently into the sky, you will immediately feel that you are really there. If you are fortunate enough to have TrackIR, this is when you can first truly experience the immersion the Team has striven so hard (and in my personal view succeeded) to create. They have achieved, at least for me, a greater feeling of immersion in the cockpit than any other flight related sim I have flown including FSX and IL Sturmovik 1946

After take off, first, look around your cockpit and appreciate the intricate craftsmanship of the rudimentary cockpit instruments. Then lift your eyes and look along your wings See the crisp lines and aerodynamic simplicity of these vintage aircraft. Get the feel of how the aircraft performs and, when you are more comfortable, push her towards the limits to see how she handles under stress. These old aircraft were not all easy to fly. Each different aircraft had its idiosyncrasies. Better to learn them now rather than later in the throes of combat. This is flying as it was .This is flying as it began, long before technological advances would sanitise the experience. This was an age far removed from the �fly by wire� of modern day aviation. Here you flew by the seat of your pants!

The flying experience alone is exhilarating and then comes ���combat.

The first three times that I flew in campaign I never even saw the aircraft that sent me crashing to the ground, dead before I hit it. The Team has worked miracles in pumping up the calibre of the AI in this sim to utterly lethal levels. The fourth time I flew, I did get to see the enemy before he did for me. He passed right and forwards of my right wing letting me have a few bursts before he zipped by. I turned my head, anxiously tracking his path as he pulled up and then executed a perfect slipping turn and positioned himself behind me for another burst of his machine guns. As I bobbed and weaved I turned back to see him all but dancing on my tail. Another few bursts and I was done for again. I was sweating.

That is what this sim does to you .It quite simply puts you there. I believe that, as a unique total immersive experience of its genre, this sim may never be bettered.

When you end your mission and return to the OFF Manager there is one other thing you should do. Click the Credits button as I did.

There you will see listed the names of the exceptionally talented small group of men who have together made this World War 1 flying experience possible. I would personally like to thank them for their Herculean collective effort which has resulted in this sublime flight simulation. I believe a tacit appreciation of the technical skill and dedication of this group of individuals is worthy of a few minutes of each of our time.

When you have done that, finally I beg you to take time also to listen to recordings reached in this interface of the elderly voices of the real men who flew these aircraft and in whose footsteps you virtually follow �����

Over Flanders Fields
Where the Poppies Grow


nio
wave

Find out more here by googling overflandersfields

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 65
G
Junior Member
Junior Member
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 65
Is this a review or an advertisement?

Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 3,814
P
Senior Member
Senior Member
P Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 3,814
Originally Posted By: Global_Explorer
Is this a review or an advertisement?


LOL!


Acer: XB 280HK 28" 3840 X 2160, 1ms, w/Nvidia GSync
Corsair: White Graphite 760T Full Tower
Corsair: 16GB Vengeance LPX 2800MHz RAM
Corsair: SP2500 2.1 Gaming Speaker System
INTEL: Six-Core, i7 5820K CPU @4.2Hz
ASUS RTX OC 2080
Logitech 920 Wheel and Pedal System with Wheel Stand Pro
Saitek Pro Flight Control System with Wheel Stand Pro
Saitek X55 HOTAS
XBOX One S
Track IR5

Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 8,895
Likes: 75
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 8,895
Likes: 75
Sounds that good eh wink

It's an external view from Nio who was one of the beta testers of the final code, and outside of the team. We did not pay him wink he really does like it. Soon there will be many people commenting so wait until then if you are unsure...




Last edited by Polovski; 12/11/08 11:49 AM.

Regards,

Polovski
OBD Software, developers of epic, immersive, unique flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields & Wings Over The Reich
https://www.overflandersfields.com
https://www.wingsoverthereich.com
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 4
N
Junior Member
Junior Member
N Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 4
Guys

I can confirm my absolute independence from the OFF team.The article is my personal view.I fully declared where I stand in the first paragraph of my post

I do not really much mind if you consider it a review or an advertisement.In a way it may be construed as both.

I wished, by my article, to convey to any one who reads it how excited I am by this sim. If I succeed, even in a small way, in whetting your appetite to enquire further, then my objective in writing the article will have been achieved.

If you trot over to the dedicated forum at SOH and look for a similar thread started by me, you will find further comment from another independent reviewer, Catch 22.He reviews from a more traditional angle, if that is your preference.

Best

nio

Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,343
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,343
Originally Posted By: nio51
I do not really much mind if you consider it a review or an advertisement.In a way it may be construed as both.


You don't need to explain anything to anyone as it was a well written article that illustrated how excited you are with this new project. I for one anxiously await the release of this, well, I hate to say "game" after your review! copter

Copterdrvr


Skids are for kids!
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 128
L
Member
Member
L Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 128
I don�t see an advertisement here...but a well written good review...
Cause everything from this team was so stunning until now...i also
believe that OFF3 will be such a burner as nio wrote...


Give me one ping Vasili, only one ping...
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,118
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,118
Originally Posted By: nio51
.....comment from another independent reviewer, Catch 22.


LOL, Catch may not be part of the Dev team, but he eats, drinks and sleeps OFF. I'm not sure he is aware of the world outside of his PC and OFF. He's a good bloke, but unbiased he ain't.

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 4
N
Junior Member
Junior Member
N Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 4
Keep the faith, Guys.

If it is not already clear to you, this sim is really something quite special!

The OFF team are just finalising their arrangements with their distributor and then "chocks away"

Seasons greetings.

best

nio

Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,119
G
Member
Member
G Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,119
Was wondering the same thing Global_Explorer lol
Cheers!


"It's the man, not the machine" Gen Chuck Yeager
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 45
G
Junior Member
Junior Member
G Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 45
Greatly looking forward to this, thanks for the write up Nio!


Gary "Icer" Patrick

Antec Full Tower/True Power 850W
Gigabyte GA-P67X-UD3-B3
Intel i7 Sandy Bridge at 3.8gz
8Gb Crucial
64 GB SSD/ 2TB 7200
Gigabyte HD-7970 3GB
CH USB HOTAS
Logitech G25

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 187
-
Member
Member
- Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 187
Well done nic51 ! Bravo and cheers! Top job!


Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,077,289 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1