SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 4
Hop To
Page 282 of 608 1 2 … 280 281 282 283 284 … 607 608
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,602
Experten
Hotshot
Experten
Hotshot
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,602
Folks,

Dux:

Just one? Honestly, I am surprised that you do not have all of those books. Naturally I have read a few of them myself. As for 'Men of the Battle of Britain' I am looking for the companion magazine 'Women of the Battle of Britain'. I understand that there is a full page photo of Olga lifting a Spitfire over her head to shake out the unfortunate pilot and that the centerfold is truly spectacular..... ;\)

This is a long holiday weekend for us here in the states as we celebrate our Labor Day on Monday the 1st of September. For many it heralds the end of summer. The stocks of beer, hotdogs and hamburgers will be severely depleated by Tuesday. Some of that, and perhaps more than my share, will be due to my own shameless gluttony.

And by Wednesday it will be about the same for aspirins, Alka Seltzer and other remedies. \:\(


Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,602
Experten
Hotshot
Experten
Hotshot
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,602
Folks,

OT but of personal concern:

Our thoughts are with our relatives and all the others down in the Gulf states who are looking down the barrel of hurricane Gustav. We had a brief flirtation with Faye here last week and trust me, it was nothing compared to this massive storm.

My wife has a first cousin who lives just a couple of miles from the ocean at Gulfport Mississippi. Three years ago when hurricane Catrina came calling there was much destruction around his home. Thankfully, his property was mostly unscathed in comparison to some.

He (we'll call him Doctor Dee)is the pastor of a very large church down there. The church sustained minor damage during Catrina but overall his area was lucky. The storm surge did not quite reach that far inland and no lives were lost. We just saw on TV some current video of Gulfport. The wind and rain seem to be horrific. When last contacted by cell phone, everyone in the family was safe and dry.

In other, less important news, I must report that even with a supreme effort by Jens and a good many others, I cannot get SDOE to run smoothly on my system. We have tried all suggestions including those offered by the SimHQ SDOE forum to no avail. Although my system is well above the recommended requirements for this classic game, even with all features turned down to pitifully puny I still have stuttering, hesitation and freeze-ups that make the game almost unplayable. Tis a pity. Mainly, having no luck with FCG after installing the Radeon, I wanted to enjoy the WW1 add-on for SDOE. No need to install that unless SDOE is running well. Thank you all for your help.

An acquaintance of Lady T's has just returned from an expedition with her husband to the quaint little desert town of Las Vegas...or as we affectionately refer to it, 'Loss Vegas'. They were lucky, they came home $20 richer, provided you do not count the travel expense. We were delighted and slightly surprised that they did so well. After all, they do not call it "Win Vegas". ;\)





Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,682
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,682
JRT,

Seems to have blown itself out without a repeat of the great New Orleans disaster of a few years ago.

Yes...I think people go tho Vegas to lose, but only a little. To actually come back in the black is something of an achievement! $$$$$$$$$$$$


'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------



Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,602
Experten
Hotshot
Experten
Hotshot
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,602
Folks,

Dux:

Yes, that giant blow hard Gustav has blown out of town and all our relatives down in Mississippi are safe. Gustav was less powerful than Catrina and the track was more favorable. As one in the media stated, it does not mean that New Orleans was ready for another monster storm like Catrina it simply means that they were ready for Gustav.

Unfortunately, there are more storms cooking up down there. The eye of just one, Hanna, is now predicted to come right over us within days. The Governor and the Chief of Homeland Security (fresh from his triumph in New Orleans) have been on TV today warning residents to prepare. Eighty MPH winds or stronger and heavy rain are predicted for our area Saturday.

Trees and limbs come down and the power can be off for days after one of these big storms so I may be unheard from for a long spell. Carry on the best you can Dux to keep HWH flying, and worry not.

I shall return. No, that is certainly not a threat.... ;\)


Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,682
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,682
Gents,

JRT,

RAINRAINRAINRAIN....ad nauseum...

Little left of our so-called summer. We can but hope for a mild and warm autumn. It has been known.

We had to abandon the idea of a bandstand performance last Sunday and played indoors to an enthusiastic crowd. That means they had enthusiasm for coming in out of the rain...a captive audience.


'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------



Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,602
Experten
Hotshot
Experten
Hotshot
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,602
Folks,

Dux:

Rain? We have buckets...barrels of it.

TS/Hurricane Hanna is almost upon us at 1 AM Saturday. Our luck ran out with this one as she traks right over us tonight. It isn't Catrina or even Gustav but up to 10 inches of rain and winds up to 60 mph are quite enough thank you.

I'm typing tonight on a laptop about twenty miles from home where our son lives. We'll go home tomorrow afternoon if we can to see if According to the TV there is any damage. We can expect trees and limbs down with this storm so the power may go off. They have a generator here so we'll have lights and water but no cooling. Humidity is incredibly high with high temps and that makes it really uncomfortble with no A/C.

According to the TV the storm is just now coming inland. I can think of several thousand things I'd rather do on my birthday than experience another hurricsne.

Thanks SimHq Admin for the note with your good wishes.

This storm is a fast mover and what is left of her will already be in C51 territory by Sunday.


Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 785
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 785
*Sand whistles by as Wildman slowly opens the cockpit window*

Bloody hell, I realized that I overconsumed much gin last night but to wake up in Afghanistan? The Group Commander must be really upset over the dent in his daughter's honor. Now the lass on the otherhand must be pinning away for me now.

*sigh*

Looks like a 5 months stint in Bagram for me starting last week, at least I crammed my X45 and laptop in my duffel and have BoBII and 2.06 on it. I understand that 2.08 it out but didn't download it before I left.

Perhaps a tutorial update for BoBII may finally be done now that I have about 2hr a day to myself.

EDIT:

I don't suppose that anyone could send me several pints of whiskey, my batman, a deck of cards, and the 2.08 update and hot fix?.....well OK the JAG will get me for the whiskey, my batman doesn't have a passport and I'm terrible at cards....so that leaves the 2.08 update.

If possible a CD with the required files mailed (yes with postage stamp) to

Wesley Netcher
455 AEG/455 EMXS/CC
APO AE 09354

Thanks ever so much, hip hip and all that.

Wes


Last edited by Wildman; 09/06/08 06:58 AM.
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,682
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,682
Wildman,

Great to have you drop by! You say 'sand whistles by...'? That means you must have put her down on the beach near Margate. Couldn't quite make it to Manston eh?

Seriously though - off to Bagram. May flights of angels guard you and bring you back safely to Blighty.

JRT has rather rashly left his locker open, so I'll make up a parcel from his superfluous effects and send them off directly to the above address. I'm sure he won't mind, being the good sport that he is.


'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------



Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 785
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 785
Very nice, that JRT is such a sporting fellow. Stealing, *ahem*, liberating the selected items is only taking care of those pesky details that so bore him.

Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 4,583
Likes: 39
Motorius Emeritus
Senior Member
Motorius Emeritus
Senior Member
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 4,583
Likes: 39
Many happy returns Roger!


Jens C. Lindblad


Sent from my Desktop
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,602
Experten
Hotshot
Experten
Hotshot
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,602
Folks,

Wildman,

Welcome back! We were worried about you. It is good to hear from you. I think the last time you visited a storm was also headed into the US. Keep your gritty eyes on your sand blasted mailbox, Jens has always been noted for his altruisim. My locker is always open. Health department regulations have required it ever since C51's pet beaver crawled in there and expired due to the alcohol fumes....

Jens:

Thanks for the good wishes. I should be back at home some time Sunday to check out the storm damage if any and perhaps get off a few e-mails if the buzz of the chain saws in the neighborhood isn't too loud to think.

At the moment (noon) the storm is exiting the state into Virginia and down here in central NC the sun is just beginning to peek through the heavy overcast. There will be some minor flooding and some power outages have been reported across half the state. All in all we were lucky.


Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,682
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,682
JRT,

Happy Birthday dear chap, and my thanks to Jens for reminding me.

Don't forget to alert the local fire brigade before you light all those candles!


'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------



Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 785
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 785
Alas, tragic circumstances have stuck my trust crate. While I do have the BoB download on my computer I do not have the required "Key ID" or some such plebian nonsense.

I have call in a repair team via A2A and hopefully the required documention is on its way. A sure sign I was hungover when I planned and packed for this trip, otherwise I would have discovered such a calamity before I left greener pastures.

Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,602
Experten
Hotshot
Experten
Hotshot
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,602
Folks,

Dux:

Thanks for the salutation. It may not have been a normal birthday mainly due to the storm but it certainly was a memorable one.

By the afternoon skies were clear here yesterday. We drove the 25 miles back home last evening to check for storm damage. All is well at the old homestead. No trees lost, no roof damage. The pets are fine. I spent last night here with T and plan to return home this afternoon. Son T and his former Navy Seal pal Patrick and I barbecued several chickens lsst night and we had quite a feast. I am not certain as my memory aches, however I'm told that at some point margaritas were served. I should know better. At the present rate of recovery, my head and tummy should be back to what passes for normal by my next birthday....

Wildman:

Good luck. Hopefully someone can indeed help. Unfortunately I cannot, as WOV so tediously disaproves of my current old fashioned system, I do not have a copy of WOV and I continue on with the aging but still enjoyable BDG version of BoB ONE, ditto MA.


Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 785
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 785
Well, after sobering up. (I forced myself to review a picture of Olga in fishnets...amazing how that will clear your head and move your feet). I read the actual download and my ORDER number is what I need to start the install.

Of course I have the wrong DX version now after a reformat so I still have that to overcome...really the Jerries seem very intent on not letting me into the air.

Oh well, I still have some of that fine whiskey I liberated from JRT's footlocker...I'm sure he won't mind.

Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 4,583
Likes: 39
Motorius Emeritus
Senior Member
Motorius Emeritus
Senior Member
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 4,583
Likes: 39
"I do not think my unit produced more than three items of printed pornography during the whole war, not because I was squeamish, but simply because I did not think the effort involved on our part would be justified by the subversive effect on the Germans."

Since I myself am suffering from Writer's block I thought the Squadron would appreciate some very intriguing web-pages I came across while wandering aimlessly around the internet. Very much in the spirit of "Here's what happend" I think: http://www.seftondelmer.co.uk/


Jens C. Lindblad


Sent from my Desktop
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 785
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 785
Ha, am I Wildman, or this is Olga pretending to be Wildman after he signs off the Internet....


DUN, DUN, DUUUUUNNNNNN

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,682
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,682
Gents,

Good old Sefty. A literary hero and chronicler of those momentous times.
Has anyone made films or programmes of his books? With so many amusing anecdotes from astute, humorous observation, they would at least rival the popularity of the Blackadder series.

Hitler tripping over the hosepipe after the Reichstag fire... \:D

Thanks Jens.


'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------



Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,602
Experten
Hotshot
Experten
Hotshot
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,602
Folks,

Wildman/Olga:

There is always something left still to do when you deal with games on PCs.

Enjoy your drink... I'm surprised there is a drop left for that was a long time ago. Besides, I have a new bottle that I swipe...stol...borrowed from Dux.

Drink the last drop with my good wishes, I cannot imagine who would want to drink from such an aged bottle of single malt anyway.....surely new whiskey would be better? Speaking of which, I noticed C51 sleeping under a table in the O club with at least a half full new bottle cradled lovingly under his arm. ;\)

Jens:

Thanks for the link. When I finally get back home today I plan to settle in and read more.


Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,602
Experten
Hotshot
Experten
Hotshot
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,602
Folks,

It is 8 PM here on Monday and I am once more ensconced with Lady T in our own domicile.

It was a good 3-day visit and a delightful hurricane party Friday night. Not quite up to the deadly standards of those held in coastal areas perhaps but close enough to lethal for the likes of me. After 2 days I can finally say the word 'margarita' without a stabbing pain between my eyes.

We spent the afternoon cleaning up limbs and twigs, getting pets and the neighboor's livestock out of trees and putting the roof back on the house, minor things like that.... ;\)

He tripped? Now Dux you know perfectly well that Mr. Hitler, well known for his lack of prevarication, claimed to have nothing to do with that blaze. Those matches he was holding were for lighting votive candles because he was on his way to an inter-denominational prayer meeting at the nearby synagogue as Mr. Goebbels claimed the very next day?


Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
Page 282 of 608 1 2 … 280 281 282 283 284 … 607 608

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
How to Decommission Obsolete Robots....
by F4UDash4 - 10/04/26 05:54 PM
J-B Weld
by Terl9999 - 10/02/26 11:54 PM
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,082,247 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1