|
|
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 28,506
Lifer
|
|
Lifer
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 28,506 |
no I don't oppose it... I imagine (but haven't even loaded one yet) they are coop missions just like what we play already but with a story and direction... how long does each mission take about?... my only concern is that MOST (but apparently not all) like the coop military monday thing, and don't want to start a 2 or 3 hour mission and not have others be able to join in on MM... Right now people expect a couple of 30 to 45 min missions each monday night, will it fit into those? but thats up for a private discussion I believe. 
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,648
Senior Member
|
|
Senior Member
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,648 |
Actually, these missions aren't that different from the missions on the server. The only real story is the backstory going on behind the scenes, which I plan on posting on the forums. The missions are meant to be just like the ones we play on Mondays, only with a little more polish. I broke them up into 30 missions so that they'd be smaller, and could be finished within 30-60 minutes.
I really plan on having some good tank and air battles in there too. I plan on 2 squadrons (with 4 Cobras in one and 2 Cobras + 4 AH6's in the other). That should make for one heck of an aerial battle against ground forces, yeah?
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,908
Bullet Magnet Member
|
|
Bullet Magnet Member
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,908 |
Wow! That is quite a battle plan. I guess we will be building these missions for a while. Looks like fun! 
"My doctor says I wouldn't get so many nosebleeds if I kept my finger out of there." - Ralph Wiggum
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 1,218
4th Horseman of the Apocalypse... Member
|
|
4th Horseman of the Apocalypse... Member
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 1,218 |
Thats friggen awesome, I hope people show and enjoy this! Pretty intense to say the least! 
RIP Kevin "Positive G" Speichts
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 19,794
Veteran
|
|
Veteran
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 19,794 |
Yup, this'll be great fun.
WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 12,110
Veteran
|
|
Veteran
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 12,110 |
We almost finished mission 1, Nixer and Tam (I think) ended up swimming across, taking fallen AI's weapons, they were so close.
One question. Will that fixed machine gun take out a Shilka? ;-)
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,648
Senior Member
|
|
Senior Member
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,648 |
Realisitically, it should. The Shilka isn't heavily armored. The model in the game however, is pretty much immune to them.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 1,218
4th Horseman of the Apocalypse... Member
|
|
4th Horseman of the Apocalypse... Member
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 1,218 |
Something has to give at some point
RIP Kevin "Positive G" Speichts
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,648
Senior Member
|
|
Senior Member
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,648 |
I'll be working on mission two this weekend, the assault on Ramadi. I am thinking mission 1.5 will be order though. A special forces jaunt to destroy the enemy's ammo dump.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 12,110
Veteran
|
|
Veteran
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 12,110 |
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 24,718
Measured in Llamathrusts Lifer
|
|
Measured in Llamathrusts Lifer
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 24,718 |
I was thinking that this series of missions would make a really nice Saturday, starting about 1000 EST and running all day. Post in the forums how far we got, and start up on the next mission the following Satuday.
Pretty much like most flight sim tournaments are run.
No "do overs" past a second try on a mission - just move to the next mission with "broken arrow" rules in effect.
Not a lot of waiting around for the next mission to start up before joining, and a rule that lets one jump in at the middle.
I am curious why securing the airfield isn't the first mission, as that's pretty much SOP for NATO forces....
The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events. More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.comFrom Laser: "The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 1,218
4th Horseman of the Apocalypse... Member
|
|
4th Horseman of the Apocalypse... Member
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 1,218 |
So far, as to what we see...I personally find these missions to be fantastic, however, in time I think the mission format will change, mind you this is our first ever campaign run, and with that, we should take into consideration what we can learn from this.
Dart has a great idea, and possibly something we should consider, I kind of like the idea of DiD style campaign-types for IL2, but since this is ArmA and our chances of death are quite higher, the DID thing should be followed up as 'dead is dead - for that mission'...
The scalability of the missions are another thing, these are quite the series of missions, and in all honesty, could grow drastically...Primarily in surrounding area's around our operations, thus creating some sort of heavy engagement that 'could' spill over into our sector, and then drawing us into some sort of debacle, more or less side operation or extraction (depending on the situation.) if possible, is there a way to create a probability trigger that causes us to ax our mission and pretty much update the briefing stating that everything has gone 'wrong' and that we need to get out of dodge....
RIP Kevin "Positive G" Speichts
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,648
Senior Member
|
|
Senior Member
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,648 |
Yes, but often major assualts are prefixed with special operations missions. In this case, an infantry attack on the area's only AA asset. With no AA on the outlying island, that area of approach was clear.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 1,218
4th Horseman of the Apocalypse... Member
|
|
4th Horseman of the Apocalypse... Member
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 1,218 |
Oh yes, of course they are, I wonder, our presence on enemy locations, included with say....a civilian or RAC on OPFOR engagement erupting would make for some really crazy #%&*$#, and to top it off, a target on both sides...Hell making it look like a scenario like this would create a great vice...
Especially if RAC's do not figure our presence as 'friendly' lol
RIP Kevin "Positive G" Speichts
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 24,718
Measured in Llamathrusts Lifer
|
|
Measured in Llamathrusts Lifer
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 24,718 |
Well, the Wepps missions have this annoying habit of having things nearly randomly placed, so any friggin' thing is possible. Most missions are really puzzles - go here, kill this guy, go there, avoiding the tank until you get to the other place, then shoot the T-72 before the Shilka. The custom missions by Wepps, Dec, and all the others really don't seem to work that way. One has to have a good plan executed with sound tactics by all members to be successful. I would like to see some "wtf" events, like a bus full of civilians arriving into a village that this morning wasn't a combat zone. I wish there were dogs. We were no more than shadows infilitrating the town until that damned dog started barking at us.Then again, I also want the "Kitty cam" for my around-the-corner firearm: http://www.geekologie.com/2007/12/corner_shot_gun_shoots_around.php
The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events. More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.comFrom Laser: "The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,648
Senior Member
|
|
Senior Member
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,648 |
We were no more than shadows infilitrating the town until that damned dog started barking at us.Thats what the Hush Puppy was for  The dogs in VBS2 are pretty coo, by the way. However, they speak English.. and its quite shocking.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 1,218
4th Horseman of the Apocalypse... Member
|
|
4th Horseman of the Apocalypse... Member
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 1,218 |
ha the dogs speak english? Oh my god.
RIP Kevin "Positive G" Speichts
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,335
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,335 |
Yes they are very well trained. :P
"I like to find out that I died, and that I'm currently in a ballet in China, and all the other very accurate and important things that the Wikipedia site brings us all."
-Stephen Fry
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 24,718
Measured in Llamathrusts Lifer
|
|
Measured in Llamathrusts Lifer
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 24,718 |
Do they chew cigars and have witty things to say?
The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events. More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.comFrom Laser: "The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
J-B Weld
by Terl9999 - 10/02/26 11:54 PM
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|