SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#2410185 12/28/07 09:56 PM
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 1,490
Likes: 1
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 1,490
Likes: 1
When flying 1 v 2 in a Mig against a US pilot, I have learned from the tutorials how to engage and how to tell when the Aim 120 has locked on autonomous. I almost always win.

I am practicing a 1 v 2. Me in a SU-33 against 2 F-15C.

I start out head on at long range. They are jamming so I lock on BVR and wait for burn through.

I fly offset to the right about 30 degrees. They will fire first. I continue the 30 degree offset until I notice in the RWR that the Aim 120 is autonomous and the RWR warning moves from 5 oclock to 12 oclock. This is when I pump chaff and turn to the left to engage. I soof the first and second missile easily.

When I am close to nose on, I fire one 77 and then another 5 seconds later. I dont continue head on but cross his nose and continue left but with lock still good. I want the F-15s to pass my right side.

If I am lucky, I can down one F-15C.

This is the question part.

I feel that I am too close to continue with radar missiles so I switch to 73s and use helmet mode. I swing back right trying to get a lock as the F-15s pass my right side. I am still pumping chaff and flares hoping not to get hit, but I usually do at this point.

Am I right to switch to helmet mode or is bore or vert better?

Is there a tutorial on TWS for Migs or do I use TWS just like I would in a US Fighter. I have the one for US fighters.


Intel i7-13700K
Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Ultra
Radeo RX 570 (8GB)

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Cajun #2411662 12/31/07 04:20 AM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 751
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 751
I can't comment on your tactics in a 1 vs. 2 AI as mine are pretty different. For the Russian TWS, once you switch it on you can put the radar cursor over one of the contacts on the HUD. It'll "stick" to that target and you can see the DLZ without having to lock it up, which also keeps other contacts on the HUD for you to track. You'll also be able to see the contacts on your HDD as triangles so you can see the direction they are pointing in. Like TWS in the Eagle, it won't work if the bandit is using ECM.


"By the way, even though I know its based on accurate data, it still pisses me off too when I'm about to gun someone and my screen starts to go black. I guess its only natural." - Pete Bonanni
Cajun #2412917 01/02/08 10:32 AM
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 162
G
Member
Member
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 162
Hi, could you tell me which are the tactics you learned from the tutorials? I don't know how to use RWR for AIM-120.

Thanks.

Goose #2412965 01/02/08 01:24 PM
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 1,490
Likes: 1
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 1,490
Likes: 1
Go to Flanker Training.com

http://flankertraining.com/ironhand/news.html

Click on Tutorials at the top then Air to Air.

Download those videos. I have Vista and didnt need to also download the Xvid codec.

One thing I learned is that when a US fighter has you locked, the circle of lights on the RWR will start to fill up. Then you will hear the launch tone as he fires. As the Aim 120 approaches, the circle of lights will go out then they will start to light back up. This is when the Aim 120 locks on to you. As the circle of lights reaches the 12 oclock position, turn your fighter 30 to 40 degrees away from the Aim 120 while popping chaff and you wont get hit.

That was a very simplified and brief instruction. The tutorials are so much better.

Go to this website

http://www.f4hq.com/default.php?page=Tactics

I know its about the F16 but read the articles about the BVR fight, jammers and situational awareness. The articles discuss how F16s should prosecute the engagement vs Flankers.

One thing I learned here was to launch a radar missile early in the engagement so the other guy has to go defensive. I know this missile has a very low probability of hitting him. On your radar, you can see him turn away from you as he evades your missile then start to turn back around. As he does this, I launch another missile and he does the same thing again. I can get close enough this way to launch an IR missile. While my radar missiles may miss, the IR missiles are usually spot on.

Not only do you need to know what tactics to use in an engagement, you need to know what tactics the other guy is likely to use against you.





Intel i7-13700K
Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Ultra
Radeo RX 570 (8GB)

Cajun #2413137 01/02/08 05:22 PM
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 162
G
Member
Member
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 162
Thank you very much for your comments and explanations!!!


Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
September 15th Battle of Britain Day.
by RedToo - 09/15/26 08:06 PM
Population Patterns
by PanzerMeyer - 09/15/26 03:43 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,071,293 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1