SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#2341597 09/19/07 05:06 PM
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,338
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,338
How disciplined a virtual fighter pilot are you? Do you press an A-A engagement when you know you shouldn't? On your CAS/BAI/Interdiction missions - do you push the nose down a bit farther to get your bombs off, rather than come off dry for another run? Routinely press into manpad territory? Do you call "Aborting" on a landing approach that's less than ideal, or do you hurry to put the bird down on the current approach?

I've reached the point where the only reason I get shot down is because I'm too aggressive. I'm no longer surprised by anything. It's either lazy planning or lazy flying that gets me into trouble. And I never abort a mission. No, no, no...

How say all of you?


Not by accident does Genesis 3 make the father of knowledge a serpent - H.L. Mencken
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

chronoPilot #2341614 09/19/07 05:26 PM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 751
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 751
Are you saying a disciplined pilot would do what you do (i.e., be aggressive) or are you saying that he or she would abort missions gone wrong, come back for another run, etc?

I have a tendency to get impatient or think the situation is fine when it really isn't. I'll be out on CAS and get impatient because I can't find the damn thing the FAC is telling me to hit. So I'll do my best to pick my own targets with mixed results. Or maybe I'm out on a mission and I get a warning about bandits from AWACS. I know where the bandits are and I know where my escort is, so I say "They can handle it". Next thing I know they're all getting shot down and I have an active missile coming right at me.

EDIT for spelling.

Last edited by RedTiger; 09/19/07 05:28 PM.

"By the way, even though I know its based on accurate data, it still pisses me off too when I'm about to gun someone and my screen starts to go black. I guess its only natural." - Pete Bonanni
RedTiger #2341624 09/19/07 05:44 PM
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,338
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,338
 Originally Posted By: RedTiger
Are you saying a disciplined pilot would do what you do (i.e., be aggressive) or are you saying that he or she would abort missions gone wrong, come back for another run, etc?


The former, that a disciplined vPilot would make another run, retreat temporarily, and abort in the event of new intel (i.e., "surprise - a SAM site"), etc, etc.


Not by accident does Genesis 3 make the father of knowledge a serpent - H.L. Mencken
chronoPilot #2341721 09/19/07 07:20 PM
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 375
N
Member
Member
N Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 375
 Originally Posted By: chronoPilot
I'm no longer surprised by anything.

The next time you get killed, reformat your system. That should add an element of angst for you.


Novice
69th VFW
AF fun flights
Novice #2341851 09/20/07 07:59 AM
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 440
K
IL2 Rookie
Member
IL2 Rookie
Member
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 440
rofl!


To the man I aim, not the aircraft
IL2-1946 UP3 Aerial Combat Videos
KidVicious #2341944 09/20/07 12:12 PM
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 115
_
Member
Member
_ Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 115
When I fly, my top priority is always getting back home in one piece. If I have wingmen, that goes for them to. Especially in MP, I'd never lead my flight into a suicidal attack. When I'm the wingman, I tend to do exactly what I'm told though, even if it seems suicidal to me.

I also tend to do what I'm briefed - if I'm on a strike, I won't press on bandits that don't directly threaten my flight or search for collateral targets when I have bombs left. When I'm on a Sweep or S&D, I'll do the exact opposite. I just got killed a few times too many doing something stupid and unnecessary and I know how fast an empty airspace can get swarming with bad guys and SAMs so I try to spend as little time as possible on the red side of the FLOT.


Big out
Novice #2342528 09/21/07 03:08 AM
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,103
.
Member
Member
. Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,103
 Originally Posted By: Novice
 Originally Posted By: chronoPilot
I'm no longer surprised by anything.

The next time you get killed, reformat your system. That should add an element of angst for you.


.......That could/would be the patch from hell!


Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
September 15th Battle of Britain Day.
by RedToo - 09/15/26 08:06 PM
Population Patterns
by PanzerMeyer - 09/15/26 03:43 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,070,277 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1