|
|
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 10,618
Babelfish Immune Veteran
|
|
Babelfish Immune Veteran
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 10,618 |
Spot on Moggy about getting on with it and not trying to do everything hits the nail on the head for me. My heart sank when they announced the merger/internecine operations Just pop the WW1 planes in there and move the furniture about a bit that's what I'd hoped for Never say die though mate Oleg dropped out of the sky and maybe someone else will, room for more than one flight-sim developer we're gagging for more even the arcade games developers are looking at more flying games people like to fly the bigwigs are cottoning on maybe  Ming
'You are either a hater or you are not' Roman Halter
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,380
Senior Member
|
|
Senior Member
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,380 |
Originally posted by Mogster: The download just shows some nice ocean water effects. They'd be nice for a Paific WW2 sim but how usefull are they in a WW1 sim :rolleyes: Come on Mogster, you're kidding, right?!!!  If you've got it in WW2, it probably had already been developed for the First Air War! :rolleyes:
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 1,976
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 1,976 |
No comment, trying to stay positive. 
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 501
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 501 |
Originally posted by Ming_EAF19:
Who was that bloke who discovered that the Earth is a dynamic world not a Disneyland created 4004 years ago after he measured glacial valleys in deposition and erosion and estimated that the earth must be very old? All from a horse and cart and a small Thermos. Real man of the soil. I want to see his name in the credits too. Wasn't Bill Oddy no
Ming Lord Kelvin
Despite repeated warnings Albert continued to loiter outside public lavatories dressed as pestulence.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 24,718
Measured in Llamathrusts Lifer
|
|
Measured in Llamathrusts Lifer
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 24,718 |
Sigh.
Changing engines.
So, is this Duke Nukem Forever or Team Fortress 2?
The only thing worse is if they would say it'll be open code that will allow for changes of the FM/DM by users.
The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events. More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.comFrom Laser: "The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 10,618
Babelfish Immune Veteran
|
|
Babelfish Immune Veteran
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 10,618 |
Yeah the Kelvin score that's it Flatlander where MSFS terrain scores seven Kelvins and Oleg's FB scores eighty five Kelvins on a scale of one to one hundred Kelvins. One Kelvin is your kid's drawing of her house with Mum and Dad in the garden in deckchairs and 100 Kelvins is a photograph of Dover Priory. It's a very economical system  Following the thought that Kelvin did for terrain what Newton did for physics. Made it popular  Ming
'You are either a hater or you are not' Roman Halter
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 512
99% real Member
|
|
99% real Member
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 512 |
how many Kelvins am I bid, for this genuine Rigelian Orb of Flatulence....anyone?
New engine eh?....4th Qtr 2007 release. Well into BoBs 2nd patch and rumours of imminent Med. addon before my 1st solo in an Se5a...bah.
"you know...in the whole, vast configuration of things you're nothing but a scurvy little spider...and that goes for you!...and that goes for you, too!!" George Bailey
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 492
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 492 |
another case of "MS = bad, any other = good" type of thinking... That rates many kelvins in my book : 
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 10,618
Babelfish Immune Veteran
|
|
Babelfish Immune Veteran
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 10,618 |
Now you're talking.
Yes something like that please but without the sprites, maybe using SpeedTree including optional Chainsaw of Mington
And no Lazy Water of Gates of course or I'll want my money back be warned we've moved on.
Ming
'You are either a hater or you are not' Roman Halter
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 3,214
Two-speed Five-Blade Fan Senior Member
|
|
Two-speed Five-Blade Fan Senior Member
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 3,214 |
What is the situation regarding two-seaters? Does anyone know?
I don't know of any out-of-the-box simulation that models them as flyable, so this could be a much awaited first.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 7,481
Hotshot
|
|
Hotshot
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 7,481 |
First evidence of an SE5! Fantastic.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 6,623
Hotshot
|
|
Hotshot
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 6,623 |
Now we just need some evidence of a game engine 
WAS C2D 8500 3.16ghz, 285gtx 1gb, 4gig ram, XP NOW Win7 64, I5 2500K, SSD, 8Gig ram, GTX 570
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 10,618
Babelfish Immune Veteran
|
|
Babelfish Immune Veteran
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 10,618 |
They've licensed the PF engine from Oleg haven't they Moggy? Forgetting the new developments I mean, I thought I saw them say that they'd licensed Oleg's PF engine and they'll probably have the standard tools like the ones Ian used for the new maps, the planes look sorted They're probably just keeping things quiet as any team would in the initial stages, in case something goes wrong. Have to wait for trickle-downs as always. Unless one of the team takes pity on us and asks if he can release an early temptation  Looking at Crimea the other night so beautiful we're 90% of the way there already if they have Oleg's engine warming up Ming
'You are either a hater or you are not' Roman Halter
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 6,623
Hotshot
|
|
Hotshot
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 6,623 |
Originally posted by Ming_EAF19: They've licensed the PF engine from Oleg haven't they Moggy? Forgetting the new developments I mean, I thought I saw them say that they'd licensed Oleg's PF engine and they'll probably have the standard tools like the ones Ian used for the new maps, the planes look sorted
They're probably just keeping things quiet as any team would in the initial stages, in case something goes wrong. Have to wait for trickle-downs as always.
Unless one of the team takes pity on us and asks if he can release an early temptation
Looking at Crimea the other night so beautiful we're 90% of the way there already if they have Oleg's engine warming up
Ming I was under the impression that with the merger of DS and GT they'd broken away from Maddox. Reading Barkhorns post above it seems to pretty much state this sim is no longer going to use The IL2 engine in any shape or form. This is correct isn't it?
WAS C2D 8500 3.16ghz, 285gtx 1gb, 4gig ram, XP NOW Win7 64, I5 2500K, SSD, 8Gig ram, GTX 570
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 724
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 724 |
Perhaps there were some irreparable shortcomings with using the IL-2 engine for a new WWI flight sim, but this change of direction mid-stream is not encouraging. Especially when considering a (good) flight-sim engine is arguably the most difficult undertaking in game development, more so when combat/destruction is an integral part of the game.
Are they still shooting for a years-end release? I find it hard to believe that a change like this would add less than 6 months to the development cycle.
The models look incredible, but dumping the IL-2 engine entirely so shortly after a merging of teams destroys my level of confidence in this project.
I dunno, maybe some in-game video other than tech demos will light the fires again. We'll see...
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 93
Junior Member
|
|
Junior Member
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 93 |
Wow. More fickle than a pack of women.
...I'm just saying...
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 6,623
Hotshot
|
|
Hotshot
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 6,623 |
Originally posted by Gustang: Perhaps there were some irreparable shortcomings with using the IL-2 engine for a new WWI flight sim, but this change of direction mid-stream is not encouraging. Especially when considering a (good) flight-sim engine is arguably the most difficult undertaking in game development, more so when combat/destruction is an integral part of the game.
Are they still shooting for a years-end release? I find it hard to believe that a change like this would add less than 6 months to the development cycle.
The models look incredible, but dumping the IL-2 engine entirely so shortly after a merging of teams destroys my level of confidence in this project.
I dunno, maybe some in-game video other than tech demos will light the fires again. We'll see... The IL2 engine is getting on a bit now but I'm sure we could have had a very decent WW1 sim with it. IL2's best at low alt skimming the trees, ideal for WW1 aviation. The biplanes in Il2 seem to handle well enough. I find it hard to believe that there was some unsurmountable problem. What I can believe is that Petrovich wanted to go his own way physics wise after he joined the team, or maybe wanted more access to Olegs code than he was willing to give. Just speculating 
WAS C2D 8500 3.16ghz, 285gtx 1gb, 4gig ram, XP NOW Win7 64, I5 2500K, SSD, 8Gig ram, GTX 570
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 77
Junior Member
|
|
Junior Member
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 77 |
From a recent post by =FB=LOFT from the Gennadich team: "Not convenient to us to use IL2 of engine because it is written with jawa code. We do not want to work on jawa. + there is several ideas which we will not be able to realize on IL2 engine with its entire attractiveness. Therefore we wrote our engine with work name �Newtonika.� So we are now expected engine оf �digitalNature� from d �striсt group. " You can read the whole post here: http://www.gennadich.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2625&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15 I suspect Jawa should be Java, personally I would have thought using Java was good as in theory it could be made to run an any operating system, but I guess the diversity of hardware & drivers required for the different systems that it would be easier to stick to the Windows platform. Either way I am sure the team will produce a quality product, as they appear to be interested in anything useful & productive. PC
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 284
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 284 |
I can understand people being worried . I am . We've all been burned before by Knights Over Europe. I think most have "A Bird In The Hand ...." approach. Hopefully th only problem will be that the game will be delayed some. I have faith in the Russian people . If it was being made in American I would say forget it.
scott hill
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 724
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 724 |
Originally posted by fearlesslds: I can understand people being worried . I am . We've all been burned before by Knights Over Europe. I think most have "A Bird In The Hand ...." approach. Hopefully th only problem will be that the game will be delayed some. I have faith in the Russian people . If it was being made in American I would say forget it. I'd call it more disappointment than worry, but I think you hit on something with Knights Over Europe falling apart. For those of us that enjoy the WWI aircraft just as much, if not more than WWII, we've seen a few WWI projects that have shown promise since RB3. I'm still not playing any of them. Yes, a Russian development house is far more likely to make it to release with something like this. Maybe I'm wrong to be disappointed, but to me, changing an engine mid-development is like suddenly deciding that you want to use different blueprints after you've already framed the house. It's possible, but there's no-way you're going to have a finished product with the same commitment of time and money. Russian house or not, a budget can only be stretched so far. I'm sorry to hear that Java was evidently a major hurdle, but for an engine that was so good at portraying low-level flight, IL-2 seemed like a better fit for WWI aircraft than WWII. There's pack of rabid WWI simmers out there just waiting to throw money at the next decent sim that has a great FM, implements physics well and uses current graphics tech. Maybe this will be the one to cash in on that. Oh, and you're effin right they're a bunch of picky M-F'rs, but you'll seldom find a more loyal group of gamers... anywhere.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
J-B Weld
by Terl9999 - 10/02/26 11:54 PM
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|