|
|
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 498
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 498 |
You guys clearly have some of the best texture artist in the business. And great modelers too.
Where do I find some terrain shots?
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." Jules de Gaultier
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 10,618
Babelfish Immune Veteran
|
|
Babelfish Immune Veteran
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 10,618 |
There's something at the other developers' site RSnake, not Gennadich's. Looks suitably South Downs Village but I've only seen it on this crappy work monitor, the link must be nearby somewhere
Ming
'You are either a hater or you are not' Roman Halter
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,380
Senior Member
|
|
Senior Member
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,380 |
Speaking of pulling the terrain along.....here's an interesting question and answer taken from GT's forum discussions:
Corki: So is there any news on if it will be IL2 adapted scenery or Sikorsky's engine for that bit or a bit of both?
VikS: A bit of both an more, it will be GT`s own
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 939
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 939 |
Pfaltz DIII Looks great. I am really looking forward to this sim. Cheers, RocketDog. 
Beyond gliding distance
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 2,676 Likes: 1
Senior Member
|
|
Senior Member
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 2,676 Likes: 1 |
Originally posted by fearlesslds: So any clue as to when this thing will be done. When it's done isn't good enough. There should be some rough deadline . End of this year . First of next . Devs have stated by end of this year. And if they code w/ the speed they make models, they should hit that date. Barkhorn.
"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism, while the wolf remains of a different opinion."--- William Ralph Inge
"The ORIGINAL Barkhorn"
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 2,676 Likes: 1
Senior Member
|
|
Senior Member
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 2,676 Likes: 1 |
It would be kind of fun to roar up to your Camel in this car and then hop in the crate for your next mission:  Barkhorn.
"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism, while the wolf remains of a different opinion."--- William Ralph Inge
"The ORIGINAL Barkhorn"
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 284
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 284 |
Thanks Barkhorn. I know it may not come out right then but at least have a 4-6 month window to aim for now.
scott hill
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 392
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 392 |
I am more looking forward to this than SOW:BOB since I don't have a PC that will run the latter and I have played BOB scenarios alot the last few years.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,439
Senior Member
|
|
Senior Member
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,439 |
Originally posted by ucanfly2: I am more looking forward to this than SOW:BOB since I don't have a PC that will run the latter and I have played BOB scenarios alot the last few years. Based on what we're seeing...BoB and Knights will probably be similar in what they require. Maybe moreso in the graphics department...Knights may be gentler on the CPU. A bit.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 1,235
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 1,235 |
I hope to god that that's not the case. If they're using the same engine, I'd kind of assumed that it would be still playable on FB-compatible computers. One of the best things about FB is that it's efficently coded imo, and very scalable. I'd be concerned about map sizes, and AI troops, but would still be happy with online maps and a mission builder. Could we get a developer hint at specs? No-one's going to hold you to it... 
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 2,676 Likes: 1
Senior Member
|
|
Senior Member
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 2,676 Likes: 1 |
Well: Here is some very interesting information. First FB_LOFT posted some big news on the GT forum - and then FlyXwire asked for clarification and here was FB_LOFTS response: ************************************************ LOFT,
If we are to understand you correctly then, do you mean you're not planning on using the IL-2 game engine for "Knights" anymore....not for anything in the new sim??? Yes this is correct. This is the new solution. We accepted even it at the beginning of work. About the reasons for this solution I wrote before this. Best anything on IL2 of engine is obtained IL2 but it already is. We had additional time and calculated by the possible to use new possibilities and ideas and not to repeat old. Are you planning instead on using a different game engine than IL-2 for this WWI sim of yours, one you call "Newtonika", which GT has been developing itself? Yes its correct. Additionally, are you saying that you may include part of d-Strict's game engine into Newtonika as time goes on, but at the moment GT hasn't analysed the DigitalNature engine yet, so you're not sure what can be used from it? Therefore, GT is currently working only on its own game engine for "Knights" (Newtonika), but that some of the d-Strict code could end up in the final version of this sim's game engine afterall? Yes. We plan to analys d-sticct engine on first week of July. And i think we can use some parts of thise engine. But i can`t say anything right now. Only after analys. Would you say these are correct interpretations of your posting LOFT?
Feel free to correct or add any additional information to clarify the situation for us please. Thanks again! Aabsolute you correct.
"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism, while the wolf remains of a different opinion."--- William Ralph Inge
"The ORIGINAL Barkhorn"
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 2,676 Likes: 1
Senior Member
|
|
Senior Member
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 2,676 Likes: 1 |
Fly responds again...then FB_Viks gets into it and posts this: ************************************************ FlyXwire wrote: Well we know that making a WWI sim on a pre-existing WW2 sim platform is a less than ideal situation, as it takes much "reverse-engineering" to build in some of the more WWI-like flight characteristics needed to make the flight modeling complete (such as sufficient gyroscopic precession and adverse yaw dynamics as a few examples), but perhaps this was not the problem with the idea of using the IL-2 engine afterall??? You didnt get one thing - we will have our own, made from 0 to 100, Flight Model and dynamic engine made by our own programmers and flight dinamics engeeneer. (An.Petrovich - if you know him - he where workin over AFM in Eagle Dynamics). Without revealing too much protected information about "Newtonika" (name chosen in reference to Issac Newton perhaps?), can you tell us if abandoning the IL-2 engine was related to FM issues, and related AI issues, or for other reasons (like being able to fully include those new ideas you mentioned above)? correct, and also we can bring much more physics futures into our game by using our own FM and game-core. Could you give us an idea if it was the difficulties that GT faced in getting the IL-2 engine to correctly work with basic WWI-like sim functions (FM/DM/AI issues), or was it because of these new features that GT planned/wanted to include in the new sim that required the development of a new game engine altogether? you know, we cant tell you about it cause alot of reasons, and some of them does not depend on us (sorry if I'm digging here a bit, but I think many of us are interesting in understanding further the "why" behind the decision to switch from a modified IL-2 engine plan, to the "Newtonika" plan....that's all) The reason is.. that we will try to make it better, cause we know it by our own experience - what we whant from the aviasimulator. ************************************************ Everybody got all that? Barkhorn.
"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism, while the wolf remains of a different opinion."--- William Ralph Inge
"The ORIGINAL Barkhorn"
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 13,367
Veteran
|
|
Veteran
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 13,367 |
Hmmm, don't know why, but this worries me somewhat. The Il-2 engine is very good, tried and tested. for a new team, to make their own. Whoa: ambitious. But An.Petrovich is very good, if he is the one I think it is, from Lock-On.
I guess I should be happy, because usually choice is a good thing and you only get that with different options on the table, but somehow, I'm just as bit worried.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,380
Senior Member
|
|
Senior Member
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,380 |
Well, I'm beyond worrying anymore if a new WWI sim will ever come out or not (but I understand your sentiments Freycinet). As sim fans, potential customers, and maybe even contributors to "the cause", all we can do is support these efforts, and beyond that it's up to the designers to drive their project forwards! Oh....and to Barkhorn.....tattle-tale!!! 
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 1,235
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 1,235 |
Well, I consider this a little disconcerting. I wouldn't want to think they had to struggle to shoehorn a new sim into 7-year old code... but on the other hand, it might have saved a lot of effort, that could have gone into other things (gruesome animal animations). On the plus side, we won't be getting killed through clouds. By our wingmen. 
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 10,618
Babelfish Immune Veteran
|
|
Babelfish Immune Veteran
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 10,618 |
Thanks Barkhorn that's sounding very interesting indeed. Newtonika... we can bring much more physics futures into our gameNo prizes for wondering if those two items are not sounding like the new team is very ambitious to build a killer sim with hardware physics in mind. A WW1 sim based on Principia what else is Newton known for but Physic. Ok explaining the rainbow. And discovering that sunlight is encoded. And explaining gravity. Well ok fair enough but what else has he done for us Romans? Inspired a new WW1 sim who said that  Who was that bloke who discovered that the Earth is a dynamic world not a Disneyland created 4004 years ago after he measured glacial valleys in deposition and erosion and estimated that the earth must be very old? All from a horse and cart and a small Thermos. Real man of the soil. I want to see his name in the credits too. Wasn't Bill Oddy no  Ming
'You are either a hater or you are not' Roman Halter
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 13,367
Veteran
|
|
Veteran
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 13,367 |
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 291
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 291 |
Congrat Guys  Models and texturing look fabulous! The new engine seems to be a great solution, probably the solution wich give most freedom to work. Especialy this type of Sim, that is a bit complicated to make due to the type of fighting. Low speed, low altitude, lot of thing on the ground, and of course, a detailed land adapted to the huge land fight there was during this war. I thing the IL2 engine is a bit "old" to build all those 3D animation with an acceptable frame rate. In other way, like Freycinet, I'm a bit worried about the issue of the soft. For sure using IL2 engine would be probably more confortable to make something that look like WWI a�rial fight. But to make something very immersive and accurate to the WWI events, it's clear that you need something new. Keep on the good work, I'm waiting it really more than the Sow BoB. Your sim will certainly be the new reference for WWI fight. Thank you so much. I was not sure to buy another computer to read BoB... But for this WWI sim, I've began to put some money in the little pig 
Anne, ma soeur Anne, ne vois tu rien venir?
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 93
Junior Member
|
|
Junior Member
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 93 |
New update has been posted. SE5a cockpit, a tank and a video I am downloading now! http://www.gennadich.com/id/320/ Enjoy
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 6,623
Hotshot
|
|
Hotshot
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 6,623 |
I can see this from two sides.
One way I'm glad that GT are making their own sim engine. Competition is always a good thing and there's no one to keep Maddox games honest at the moment. Petrovich's flight model work with Lock On's AFM is extremely impressive, if he can do something similar with WW1 then Oleg will have some serious competition in the physics arena.
On the other hand I'd like to see GT's sim sooner rather than later. I wish GT had shipped the current build using the IL2 engine and accepting its short comings, its not that bad, I'm sure it could easilly have made the best WW1 sim available. GT would have a game on the shelves, and revenue from it. They'd also have a proven track record. At the moment I just feel that we won't see anything from GT past the 3D model stage. I really hope I'm wrong. ..........................................
The download just shows some nice ocean water effects. They'd be nice for a Paific WW2 sim but how usefull are they in a WW1 sim :rolleyes:
WAS C2D 8500 3.16ghz, 285gtx 1gb, 4gig ram, XP NOW Win7 64, I5 2500K, SSD, 8Gig ram, GTX 570
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
J-B Weld
by Terl9999 - 10/02/26 11:54 PM
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|