SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#1759996 12/04/05 01:12 AM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 100
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 100
I have a few quick questions for how to correctly start a mission from the ramp. First off, in the manual, it says power on the EWS and set THREAT WARN AUX and all those to ON. Now it doesn't say anywhere in panel C "EWS" but I figured it out because I saw the threat warn aux key. So I powered the EWS on and tried to push the THREAT WARN AUX key on but I can't because all that does is open the canopy? Is it not necessary to push that button?

Also, when you do a ramp start how do you know when to start taxiing? Because when I first tried the mission I immediately started taxiing but my flight did not follow and I was way ahead of the carot.

And finally, after I rotated, my gear would not go up. This has happened before on a previous ramp start but only once before. THe first time I tried doing the mission from ramp the gear went up fine. So I cut the throttle back so my gear wouldn't fly off and I tried pushing the cockpit lever but all I got was a clunk sound and still the gear stayed down.

Some help would be appreciated \:\)

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#1759997 12/04/05 01:58 AM
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 7
T
Junior Member
Junior Member
T Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 7
Hi Radooh

Been there and reckon I've pretty much got the ramp start down.

First, don't worry about Threat Warn AUX. The button seems to interfere with the canopy handle. Pressing Power on the bottom-right of that group seems to fire up the EWS. Then set the other switchs as you described - just stay away from Threat Warn AUX. (I'll probably find later that when I start some combat missions, I will have needed to do something with that switch \:\( )

To get clearance to taxi, contact the tower and request taxi. They'll grant you clearance and ask that you hold short of the runway. Once there, request permission for takeoff. If the runway is clear, you'll get permission to proceed to the runway. Once you're aligned and at a full stop, you'll get departure clearance.

On the gear issue, I found that I had a similar problem the first time that I tried the ramp start. I did the same thing as you and opened the canopy whilst trying to select Threat Warn AUX. I also couldn't get my gear up after takeoff and once airborne, was greeted by the sound of the canopy and the gear being torn off! Doh! I haven't had the problem since I stopped messing with the canopy handle. I think there is also a right eyebrow warning light for the canopy being open.

Give it another go. I love the ramp start. It adds a nice touch and give you a feeling of superiority over the arcade simmers!

#1759998 12/04/05 02:29 AM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 100
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 100
Ah thanks Tox but you misunderstood my second question.

What I meant was how do you know when your takeoff time is so you don't take off too early and miss your TOT?

#1759999 12/04/05 02:53 AM
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 77
S
Junior Member
Junior Member
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 77
Check in your briefing for TOT on steerpoint 1 (Takeoff). It's also on your kneeboard page that has your steerpoint info.

#1760000 12/04/05 02:56 AM
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 7
T
Junior Member
Junior Member
T Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 7
oops sorry... missed that! Embarassment!

Just looking in my ancient copy of the Prima Strategy guide and it talks about Timing. It looks to me like it more importand to get to the target on time than to takeoff on time. Get in the air once you're fired up and good to go, then use the TOS for each steerpoint to either slow-down or speed up as required.

#1760001 12/04/05 02:57 AM
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 7
T
Junior Member
Junior Member
T Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 7
or alternatively... do what Scott said... which sounds like a much better idea!

#1760002 12/04/05 05:25 AM
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 258
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 258
Stick to your Take off time in your kneeboard but give yourself 2minutes to arrive at the hold short position. 20minutes is more than enough time to ramp start and taxi to takeoff position. If you're on a long distance mission it pays to wait and take off on time that way you don't waste fuel which might be critical in the mission. My advice is get the engine started ASAP and begin alignment straight away, then worry about the rest.

#1760003 12/04/05 05:47 AM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 100
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 100
Alright, thanks for the help!

#1760004 12/04/05 07:22 AM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 69
F
Junior Member
Junior Member
F Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 69
About your gear being stuck down. It's happened to me before when I first started trying ramp starts. I was clicking everywhere I could to find the lever to arm the ejection seat. Well, little did I know that one of the things I clicked was the Alternate Gear Release. After you click this, your gear will not come back up until you reset it. Here is an actual picture of what I'm talking about:
http://www.meriweather.com/16/auxl/alt-gear.html

And for you first question, for the Threat Warn Aux, you need only press the button that says System Power in the lower right.

Hope this helps....and stay away from the Alt Gear Release!!


Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
September 15th Battle of Britain Day.
by RedToo - 09/15/26 08:06 PM
Population Patterns
by PanzerMeyer - 09/15/26 03:43 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,071,495 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1