SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#122795 08/06/06 06:44 PM
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 31
C
Junior Member
Junior Member
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 31
OK, first my current rig stats:
Shuttle SN95G v1.0
Athlon64 3000+
1GB Corsair XMS DDR RAM
PNY GeForce 6800GT 256MB DDR3

Now...the question is what should be my upgrade path. Given that the motherboard in the SN95G doesn't support PCI-E, I know that my video graphics card options are limited to AGP x8. I was looking at the 7800GS (the last of the AGPers...) but I have doubts that the internal PSU will be able to handle this card.

So...I was thinking that I should build myself a new box but I am having doubts about the AMD AM2 chipset. Been reading that the performance gained from DDR2 isn't all that grand and now that Intel's Core 2 is out (and kicking butt) I was wondering what upgrade path would be best.

Then there is the little issue about Vista and DirectX 10 compatible video cards. As we all know, Vista will ONLY support DX10 and DX10 will NOT be available for WinXP. So...I will be migrating (forced mind you) to Vista from XP Pro.

What would be a good rig right now, with a "mid-range" (and not too expensive) PCI-E video card, for the next 8 months?

What are you guys planning on doing with your rigs given the Vista/DX10 issue?

Any comments?


Intel Core 2 Duo E6600-PNY Nvidia 7600GT 256MB DDR3-Nostromo N52-Logitech G5
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#122796 08/06/06 08:42 PM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 11,410
Likes: 10
Pilgrim
Veteran
Pilgrim
Veteran
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 11,410
Likes: 10
Won't we still be able to run a DirectX9 card with window Vista? I thought I read somewhere where we can.(I hope so \:\( )


John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#122797 08/06/06 10:38 PM
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 31
C
Junior Member
Junior Member
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 31
I've read conflicting stories in that DX10 was not "retro-compatible".

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6154735/index.html

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/community/gaming.mspx

This little blurb is telling:
While all users will appreciate those touches, gamers and multimedia buffs will absolutely thrive in DirectX 10. The latest version of the multimedia API suite will feature incredibly fast DLLs, heavily enhanced 3D graphics rendering capabilities, and something Microsoft calls Unified Architecture (UA). By relieving demand on the CPU through API streamlining, DirectX 10 should increase game performance noticeably, helped by the UA, which will effectively combine several stages of the 3D graphics pipeline into one. For a deeper and more jargon-filled discussion of the new DirectX, check out the recent HardOCP article. Note that DirectX 10 won't be compatible with earlier DirectX versions, and it won't be released for Windows XP. For backward compatibility with current games and hardware, Microsoft plans to include DirectX 9L in Windows Vista.

Hopefully that DX9L will be made available with the final release.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1969032,00.asp

So...performance for older games apparently will suffer. Sucks, doesn't it? I guess for a while peeps might want to keep their "older" rigs for gaming DX9 games and a new rig for the DX10 games that are bound to be released rather quickly. Crysis comes to mind as the premier DX10 FPS...


Intel Core 2 Duo E6600-PNY Nvidia 7600GT 256MB DDR3-Nostromo N52-Logitech G5
#122798 08/06/06 11:01 PM
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 7,014
D
Hotshot
Hotshot
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 7,014
id stay where you are until vista

if you want to upgrade buy yourself a good forcefeedback wheel + a hotas


SimHq's Resident Gaming God
#122799 08/06/06 11:18 PM
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 31
C
Junior Member
Junior Member
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 31
Peripherals are not a problem. I have CH Products USB Fighterstick and Pro Throttle (love'em!).
Not a racer...but that could.


Intel Core 2 Duo E6600-PNY Nvidia 7600GT 256MB DDR3-Nostromo N52-Logitech G5
#122800 08/06/06 11:19 PM
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 10,039
Likes: 3
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 10,039
Likes: 3
Quote:
Originally posted by cytomax:
What are you guys planning on doing with your rigs given the Vista/DX10 issue?
I'm waiting for Spring when Vista, DX10 & both Core 2 & AM2 should have shaken out a bit.


"Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder"

www.CombatACE.com SF P1/WOV/WOE/First Eagles flunky

abit forums
#122801 08/07/06 02:05 AM
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 13,787
P
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 13,787
DX10 will not be available for Windows XP.

DX10 will not be backwards-compatible with previous versions of DX.

That was the final word we got from the FSX development team. FSX will a Vista-only, DX10 launch title.

pfunk


"A little luck & a little government is necessary to get by, but only a fool places his complete trust in either one." - PJ O'Rourke

www.sixmanfootball.com
#122802 08/07/06 02:12 AM
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 7,014
D
Hotshot
Hotshot
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 7,014
vista will have dx9 aswell though


SimHq's Resident Gaming God
#122803 08/07/06 03:48 AM
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,841
H
Member
Member
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,841
According to Jim Campisi's latest article on FSX, it will be released as a DX9 title that will be patched to DX10 capabilities.

Quote from said article:"The sim will ship with DirectX 9 functionality and will be �updated� with DirectX 10 capability when Vista becomes available. Currently, DX10 hardware is not yet available to test and refine the different aspects of using the new application interface (API). We were assured that with this new version things will be enhanced. Specifically, lighting and weather was mentioned. We were shown the same screens that I saw at E3 and the improvements will be dramatic. DirectX 10 (which will only be available within Vista) has the potential to really jumpstart this title when Vista ships. I think it will almost look like a different sim than the one we will see on current hardware."


"It's not about the money Son, It's about rules. You see without rules we all might as well live in trees and fling our crap at each other."
Red Foreman on That 70's Show
#122804 08/07/06 04:09 AM
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 13,787
P
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 13,787
The way I understood it, if you have DX10 and Vista on your rig, there's no DX9 support.

pfunk


"A little luck & a little government is necessary to get by, but only a fool places his complete trust in either one." - PJ O'Rourke

www.sixmanfootball.com
#122805 08/07/06 04:06 PM
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 17,733
J
Joe Offline
Veteran
Veteran
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 17,733
Quote:
Originally posted by PFunk:
The way I understood it, if you have DX10 and Vista on your rig, there's no DX9 support.

pfunk
You understand incorrectly. "DirectX 9L" will also run on Vista, supporting older hardware (and hopefully older games. Look at cytomax 's post. Microsoft would never release an operating system on which older hardware won't work. It might work better on newer hardware, but it will function on older hardware.

I don't know how fast or good DirectX 9L is, but I would venture a guess that it will pretty pretty much the same as what we've got right now.

#122806 08/08/06 04:18 AM
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 4,372
S
Senior Member
Senior Member
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 4,372
Not true about DX10. I have Vista and DX10 on this rig, and I have DX9 and below support.

-Skater


"As Iron Sharpens Iron, so does a friend sharpen a friend." Proverbs 27:17
"There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female, for ye are all one in Christ Jesus." Galatians 3:28
Never, ever, underestimate the ability of people to discount Occam's Razor. - Dart
"I don't want to abolish government. I simply want to reduce it to the size where I can drag it into the bathroom and drown it in the bathtub." - Grover Norquist
#122807 08/08/06 12:09 PM
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 13,787
P
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 13,787
Then I must have completely misunderstood the guys from ACES when they told me that or something has changed, and they signed off on the article where I mentioned that.

Oh, well.

pfunk


"A little luck & a little government is necessary to get by, but only a fool places his complete trust in either one." - PJ O'Rourke

www.sixmanfootball.com
#122808 08/08/06 01:24 PM
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 17,481
Likes: 8
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 17,481
Likes: 8
Quote:
Originally posted by Skater.:
Not true about DX10. I have Vista and DX10 on this rig, and I have DX9 and below support.

-Skater
You have Dx10?

I "thought" the Vista beta came with Dx9.....


'After about twenty years of having one, I am now convinced that, for the most part, smartphones may be the dumbest thing man has ever invented!"

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#122809 08/08/06 03:41 PM
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 4,372
S
Senior Member
Senior Member
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 4,372
Guess you thought wrong. ;\)



DX10 is in there.

-Skater


"As Iron Sharpens Iron, so does a friend sharpen a friend." Proverbs 27:17
"There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female, for ye are all one in Christ Jesus." Galatians 3:28
Never, ever, underestimate the ability of people to discount Occam's Razor. - Dart
"I don't want to abolish government. I simply want to reduce it to the size where I can drag it into the bathroom and drown it in the bathtub." - Grover Norquist
#122810 08/08/06 04:52 PM
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 8,827
H
Hotshot
Hotshot
H Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 8,827
Obviously Skater has photoshopped his DX tool graphic. ;\)

#122811 08/08/06 07:22 PM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 49,716
J
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 49,716
"Ultimate". MS is really scraping the barrel for marketing names here. :rolleyes:

I think it's a major mistake to have so many SKUs for Vista. They're going to cause market confusion. XP has 3 and I think that's as much as most people can grasp. Home, for "home", Pro for business and power users, and MCE for people doing HTPCs and DVRs and such. They should've stuck with that.

Oh, I forgot the whole 32-bit/64-bit thing they're going to have to deal with!


The Jedi Master


The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#122812 08/08/06 07:30 PM
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 17,481
Likes: 8
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 17,481
Likes: 8
Ya notice i put "thought" in quotes....

Always a dangerous thing \:\)


'After about twenty years of having one, I am now convinced that, for the most part, smartphones may be the dumbest thing man has ever invented!"

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#122813 08/08/06 08:53 PM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,894
G
Senior Member
Senior Member
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,894
There are 8 versions of XP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Microsoft_Windows_versions

Windows XP Starter Edition, for new computer users in developing countries

Windows XP Home Edition, for home desktops and laptops

Windows XP Home Edition N, as above, but without a default installation of Windows Media Player, as mandated by an EU ruling

Windows XP Professional Edition, for business and power users (Version number: NT 5.1.2600)

Windows XP Professional Edition N, as above, but without a default installation of Windows Media Player, as mandated by an EU ruling

Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, for PCs with 64-bit processors (based on Windows Server 2003)

Windows XP Tablet PC Edition, for notebooks with a touch screen or a pen-sensitive screen

Windows XP Media Center Edition for desktops and notebooks with an emphasis on audio, video, and PVR capability

#122814 08/08/06 09:42 PM
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 4,372
S
Senior Member
Senior Member
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 4,372
Quote:
Originally posted by Nixer6:
Ya notice i put "thought" in quotes....

Always a dangerous thing \:\)
:)

I noticed. I was just razzin' ya.

-Skater


"As Iron Sharpens Iron, so does a friend sharpen a friend." Proverbs 27:17
"There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female, for ye are all one in Christ Jesus." Galatians 3:28
Never, ever, underestimate the ability of people to discount Occam's Razor. - Dart
"I don't want to abolish government. I simply want to reduce it to the size where I can drag it into the bathroom and drown it in the bathtub." - Grover Norquist
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
How to Decommission Obsolete Robots....
by F4UDash4 - 10/04/26 05:54 PM
J-B Weld
by Terl9999 - 10/02/26 11:54 PM
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,081,240 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1