SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#119969 05/04/06 01:41 PM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 37
H
Junior Member
Junior Member
H Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 37
I'm having to do a complete re-format/re-install. A buddy suggests I install 2 different virus protection programs, Norton Anti-virus AND McAfee, and use them both simultaneously. I didn't know that was possible. Is it a wise thing to do, and does it really provide double protection?
Regards,
Horseman

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#119970 05/04/06 01:51 PM
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 9,573
Likes: 11
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 9,573
Likes: 11
FWIW, I would not use either as BOTH have been problems to me, personally, in the past -- each, on different occasions, damaged my system such that I had to reinstall the OS. So, for me, antivirus has caused more problems than it saved me from (I've had one or two worms/viruses since the internet started).

For example, recently, it was well publicised that McAfee did an automatic update (as such programs are designed to do) that detected authentic Windows files as viruses and deleted them -- thereby trashing many systems around the world.

I, personally, would use one program. I would use one of the free ones. But, I do not use any except once in a great while to verify I have no viruses.

My wife uses free-download AVG antivirus (as was suggested to us by others on this forum) -- it updates itself every day or so and so far it gives her no problems -- but, she never has viruses either (a retired IT professional, she too is careful what she does and does not depend on anti-virus programs). I use AVG too occasionally, then uninstall it -- yes, I am an odd-ball \:\)


Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 24"P (180hz/1080p) + Samsung 32" Odyssey Neo G7 4K 1000R Curved (165Hz/4K/2160p) + 24"P (180hz/1080p), AMD R9-9950X, 64GB [email protected], GIGABYTE X870E AORUS Master MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~58TB storage, 1300W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, EVGA X20 Mouse, W11 Pro
#119971 05/04/06 02:37 PM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 37
H
Junior Member
Junior Member
H Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 37
Okay, thanks. My expensive subscription to Norton was compromised by a pop-up window that looked EXACTLY like a normal Norton window pop-up and recommended I accept the action, which of course I did. Not good. 1st thing it did was make the Norton ineffective. It has completely trashed the OS to the point of no return and even a system recovery back to "shelf-purchased" status wouldn't remove the virus it was so deeply embedded. And of course, good-ol Norton has yet to respond to my email about this. Trying to get them on the phone, better yet, trying to FIND a phone number is useless. The sad part is, I had just called up Inet and was on the MSN homepage when it happened. Now it's re-format time. What an absoulte pain this is being. A friend suggests going to Windows XP PRO rather than XP Home Edition. I'll certainly keep your advice top-of-mind.

Regards,

#119972 05/04/06 04:13 PM
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 2,608
G
Old School
Senior Member
Old School
Senior Member
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 2,608
AVG


Regno, Regnavi, Sum sine regno, Regnabo
#119973 05/04/06 04:40 PM
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 8,827
H
Hotshot
Hotshot
H Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 8,827
Same here. Ditch the NAV and McAfee; problematic. Use AVG and MS Windows Defender (beta).

AVG

Defender Beta 2

#119974 05/04/06 05:30 PM
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,866
Likes: 1
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,866
Likes: 1
Bill's suggestion, +1


~Bill

In my defense, I was left unsupervised...
#119975 05/04/06 06:02 PM
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 10,038
Likes: 3
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 10,038
Likes: 3
as above plus Avast! - see the new sticky \:\)


"Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder"

www.CombatACE.com SF P1/WOV/WOE/First Eagles flunky

abit forums
#119976 05/04/06 07:12 PM
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,441
K
Senior Member
Senior Member
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,441
AVG here for the last 5 to 6 yrs. with nary a problem!
FWIW,
Good Hunting!

#119977 05/04/06 07:22 PM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 37
H
Junior Member
Junior Member
H Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 37
Wow, thanks folks. I'm convinced.

#119978 05/04/06 07:23 PM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,894
G
Senior Member
Senior Member
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,894
I just started using the Defender Beta 2 and am a bit concerned about Microsoft's privacy policy. Have you guys using Defender Beta 2 read it? I don't like apps that snoop.

I use AVG but that's more because I'm a cheap bastage than because I think it's really good. F-Secure is much better as an AV from what I have read and it isn't effed up like Norton's crap. BTW, Allen, you can install AVG and not have it loaded in memory. You just scan when you want and/or scan downloaded files manually. No need to uninstall/reinstall every time you use it.

#119979 05/04/06 08:53 PM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 37
H
Junior Member
Junior Member
H Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 37
I was so exhausted when I loaded Windows Defender I didn't review the privacy policy. Gatticus, I can tell you though, WD only "identified" the problem/virus with my recent episode, but couldn't "fix" it. But, I'm sure it's a serious challenge to stay 1 step ahead, definition wise, of the idiot's who get their jollies putting virus's out there.

#119980 05/04/06 10:05 PM
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 730
G
Member
Member
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 730
Do NOT run two AVs at the same time. Too many chances for conflicts. I'd stay as far away from McAfee as possible,. I had to pull that off of a compaq that came preloaded with it, once. I've dealt with ad/spyware that easier to remove.

I'm currently using Norton AV, but when it runs out, I'm going to one of the free AVs that's out there. It's too bloated, and I feel like i had to beat it into submission. I also get tired of they're updates that don't give me the option to reboot later.


Who wants a fixed wing aircraft, when you can have one that wasn't broken?
#119981 05/05/06 01:54 AM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 351
N
Member
Member
N Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 351
Sheesh... AVAST.

Free, and automatic updates.......even for the FREE version.

#119982 05/05/06 02:20 AM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,636
S
Hotshot
Hotshot
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,636
I use ZoneAlarmSecuritySuite. It's on BetaNews today if anyone wants to try out the new beta which has an interesting new development called gamer's mode.

#119984 05/05/06 01:24 PM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 351
N
Member
Member
N Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 351
Actually, if you don't use the Auto-Scan feature.. that is you scan what you when you want, I see no problem having two or more A/V on your machine. I have had FOUR (4), for comparison purposes.

BUT... I only scanned Internet Files. My ISP has McAffee to scan 'Mail before it ever even gets here. And, to McAffee's credit, in the years of use there have been many, quarenteed down there, but NOT one ever came to my machine, except for a few times I 'gave permission' for a Viral E-Mail to be delivered, so I could 'test' the A/V I had installed. I would set the one at a time, to scan E-Mail. All four caught the Incoming...


Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,075,938 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1