Originally Posted by Rhugouvi
Hi,

Could someone explain me what are the benefits of switching to Ogre? The only thing I know about it is that it is an open-source 3D renderer, but I can't figure out what it would change to the game.
I am not questioning the need for switching, I would just like to know what is at stake here.


My understanding is that it's a more modern renderer than the current DirectX7. So there'd be more graphic effects available, like different lighting effects etc. It would also make the workload on rendering on the graphics card, and not in the code as much as it is now. At the moment, the code handles everything. But using Ogre, more things could be passed to the graphics card. It would also make it easier to add new models, and they could have a higher polygon count.

I think however it goes further than just the graphics, but I'm not sure of everything it would change.

There's probably more to it than that, and FireBird is the expert in this area.