In my experience so far I find the culture most like the US (in that they are monolingual and don't bother with more than a passing attempt at another) is Japan.
Our company is global. I communicate with offices in France, Germany, UK, China, Malaysia, India, Japan, Taiwan, and Korea.
The office I have the most difficulty with is the Tokyo one. None of them are what I would consider fluent in English, and probably only half of them can make themselves understood.
Taiwan is not as bad, but it can be difficult to understand what they mean.
The European offices? No problem with English at all. Malaysia seems to do everything in English. China's offices do English and Chinese, but their English is great. Korea is mostly English.
The Jedi Master
Dude, chinese people surprise me, the ones i met in business were in one sentence oh hok, ki min oh chi, then turn to me and speak fluent portuguese with brazilian acent,if i didnt know i would think they were born here !!