Hey all,

Sometimes you see someones forum handle name and you wonder, "What's the story or reasoning behind why they chose that nick?"

I've often wondered what was the genesis of "Winding Man", "Polovski", "Olham", "OldHat", etc. So if anyone at all cares to share, I'm sure we'd all love to hear it! I'll start.

"Hellshade" was name for my first World of Warcarft Undead Warlock. Actually, when I first created him...he looked a lot like Ronald McDonald the clown after he'd been dead for 10 years, so I named him "Killerclown" as a bit of a joke.

When I went to transfer off of that particular server, it wouldn't allow me to use that name on the new server (I guess someone on the new server already had it), so I thought about it and decided that basically what my Undead Warlock did was to summon up ghosts and demons from the underworld. In ancient times, ghosts were sometimes referred to as "shades", so in a nod to his ghosts from the underworld roots, I renamed him "Hellshade" and stuck with it for many years.

He became pretty popular as a damage dealing kind of guy in dungeons and raids, so even when I played other characters, players still called me "Hellshade". It basically carried over from there into all other types of gaming and sims. It seemed as good a call sign as any too. wink

Who else is up for their "origins story"?



Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68