Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted By: Mr_Blastman
no, the film was about entertainment and more an exposition of the emotional side of interstellar travel.



When your film has a 165 million dollar budget it has to be.


Now had Nolan been making a documentary for either Nova or the Science Channel then things would have been done differently.


Well, see, I think you can have realistic science and physics along with all the other stuff. But, going into the movie I fully expected the Physics to be so bad I'd roll my eyes at times--and I did. I had zero confidence in Nolan writing a hard sci-fi plot. He's no Asimov or Clarke. But I think you can have a combination of both. I have always enjoyed Contact, for instance. It was a great movie. I know people boo and hiss at the ending, but frankly Sagan painted an incredibly accurate picture while still having a very entertaining movie (even if it was posthumously released).

But I'll forever be a critic. I write hard science fiction so everything they discussed in the movie I was already very familiar with and saw right through it. Despite it, I enjoyed it regardless because as Asimov once said in an interview (you can find it on Youtube), to paraphrase, "We write science fiction to entertain and tell good stories."

And that, the movie, did just fine.