I was playing another game and all of a sudden I'm seeing juddering when panning around
We've been talking about stuttering in here lately so I thought to check my graphics card panel, suspecting that vsync was enabled. Was.
I never run with vsync enabled. Unless you're getting framerate >30fps, as soon as framerate drops below the magic number of 30fps allowable (on a 60Hz monitor/flatscreen) - fps cannot display 29fps when vsync is wnabled and refresh rate is 60Hz (commonly) - fps drops instantaneously to 20fps. That's around my cut-off point for immersion 18Hz. So a note while I'm testing something-
The reason that your 60Hz monitor cannot display 29fps if vsync is enabled:-
With vsync enabled, your game/application can only display integer divisors of (in this case) 60Hz
Allowable framerates (fps) on a 60Hz refresh rate monitor
60fps = 60(Hz)/1
30fps = 60/2
20fps = 60/3
15fps = 60/4 and so on, 60/5 60/6 etc
Now direct your inquiring eye dear techie-type reader to what happened to 21fps, 22fps up to 29fps <Hitchcock>
Those possible framerates are not allowed by the system. They cannot be displayed. You can see fps at 60fps, 30fps, 20fps, 15fps and so, quantised values. All other framerates are forbidden with vertical synchronisation (framerate/fps is locked to your monitor's refresh rate) enabled
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QuantizationThere you are fighting the undead and you see juddering where once all was smooth. Check that something (in my case Nhancer naughty) has not re-enabled vsync
If you must have vsync enabled (for TIR, no tearing on panning) then enable triple-buffering (Frames After) to help smooth out framerate when vsync is enabled
Any questions
No not you at the back, the attractive girl behind the bar

Ming
http://www.europeanaf.org/forum/showthread.php?p=126967Morecambe and Wise WB
