SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#4677394 03/15/26 04:49 PM
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,061
Likes: 19
K
It's KRT not Kurt
Hotshot
It's KRT not Kurt
Hotshot
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,061
Likes: 19
One of those things that eventually you just have to do it and here's where it gets to the neglected state of my PC. I have been through multiple moves, replaced parts and rebuilt more than a few times sometimes hidden under a desk, with pets and smokers and humidity most of what is here was my best friends rig that I had in a barely there case and when a PSU took a crap I scavenged that and then some other problem arose and instead of cleaning it up I slapped it in my case and that was several months ago and it understandably was having heat issues; freezes and shutdowns and so I bit the bullet and took it apart. So yes, that is really nasty and I was really hoping that with my shaking hands and failing eyesight that it would work again after reassembly
Attachments
incase.jpg 20260314_122422.jpg 20260314_123259.jpg 20260314_130159.jpg 20260314_131058.jpg 20260314_132827.jpg

Last edited by KRT_Bong; 03/15/26 04:52 PM.

Win 11 Pro
MSI B450M-A PRO MAX AM4 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz (4.25 GHz Max Boost) 95W Desktop Processor 16GB RAM
MSI GTX 1070 8Gb
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,021
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,021
Likes: 66
Hope it all ends up working out for you. You reminded me why I happily gave up building my own gaming PC’s about 10 years ago. I just don’t want the hassle and time required to build my own.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,061
Likes: 19
K
It's KRT not Kurt
Hotshot
It's KRT not Kurt
Hotshot
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,061
Likes: 19
This is also a consideration for General PC Health but my own Respiratory Health, anyway I'm planning to do an upgrade but this was long overdue


Win 11 Pro
MSI B450M-A PRO MAX AM4 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz (4.25 GHz Max Boost) 95W Desktop Processor 16GB RAM
MSI GTX 1070 8Gb
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,061
Likes: 19
K
It's KRT not Kurt
Hotshot
It's KRT not Kurt
Hotshot
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,061
Likes: 19
and as a post script, it turns out that my Vid card the fans were not running at all after I reassembled everything. I fortunately have a budget 1050 laying around, probably a sign that I need to upgrade sooner


Win 11 Pro
MSI B450M-A PRO MAX AM4 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz (4.25 GHz Max Boost) 95W Desktop Processor 16GB RAM
MSI GTX 1070 8Gb
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,021
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,021
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by KRT_Bong
and as a post script, it turns out that my Vid card the fans were not running at all after I reassembled everything. I fortunately have a budget 1050 laying around, probably a sign that I need to upgrade sooner


Are you mostly a legacy gamer? If you are a 1050 is sufficient.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 03/17/26 05:14 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,322
Likes: 19
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,322
Likes: 19
JHC, KRT!

confused

Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,061
Likes: 19
K
It's KRT not Kurt
Hotshot
It's KRT not Kurt
Hotshot
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,061
Likes: 19
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by KRT_Bong
and as a post script, it turns out that my Vid card the fans were not running at all after I reassembled everything. I fortunately have a budget 1050 laying around, probably a sign that I need to upgrade sooner


Are you mostly a legacy gamer? If you are a 1050 is sufficient.

The 970 is a bigger and more powerful card requiring power connections (nearly twice as long) and though the 1050 is capable it's not going to be enough for some of the things in my wishlist, I'm playing No Man's Sky currently and everything set at low I get between 25-50 fps that the 970 would run at around 60 on medium


Win 11 Pro
MSI B450M-A PRO MAX AM4 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz (4.25 GHz Max Boost) 95W Desktop Processor 16GB RAM
MSI GTX 1070 8Gb
Joined: Oct 2024
Posts: 3,627
Likes: 103
T
Senior Member
Senior Member
T Offline
Joined: Oct 2024
Posts: 3,627
Likes: 103
Wow KRT ! That’s one dirty computer. Heat dissipation can be a big problem. The WiFi on my Asus laptop stopped working, decided to clean the 2 fans on the bottom it, they were filthy packed dust and particles. After cleaning, the WiFi has been working good. Now I raise the bottom of the laptop with a couple 1 X 2 wood sticks to elevate the bottom so there is airflow now, previously I just put flat on a table…no airflow, after raising it up it has been working great.

Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 9,573
Likes: 11
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 9,573
Likes: 11
Thanks for the pictures. They're really worth looking at.

I take it as a positive that the system has worked so long.

Good luck with the cleanup! thumbsup


Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 24"P (180hz/1080p) + Samsung 32" Odyssey Neo G7 4K 1000R Curved (165Hz/4K/2160p) + 24"P (180hz/1080p), AMD R9-9950X, 64GB [email protected], GIGABYTE X870E AORUS Master MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~58TB storage, 1300W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, EVGA X20 Mouse, W11 Pro
Allen #4677604 03/19/26 04:35 PM
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,061
Likes: 19
K
It's KRT not Kurt
Hotshot
It's KRT not Kurt
Hotshot
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,061
Likes: 19
Originally Posted by Allen
Thanks for the pictures. They're really worth looking at.

I take it as a positive that the system has worked so long.

Good luck with the cleanup! thumbsup
The thing is the fans were probably not working for a while, I started seeing 79C as a constant temp and said well gotta do something and yuck but shaky hands and having to wear two readers binocular style to see the tiny screws (which didn't all have to come out) were what was holding me back. I want to upgrade and probably should anyway but taking things apart and figuring out weird errors is a little daunting these days. I'm going to get a new case too this one looks like a used car, every time a component came with a sticker it went on the case like a sponsor decal, lol


Win 11 Pro
MSI B450M-A PRO MAX AM4 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz (4.25 GHz Max Boost) 95W Desktop Processor 16GB RAM
MSI GTX 1070 8Gb
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 18,136
Likes: 190
F
Veteran
Veteran
F Online: Cool
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 18,136
Likes: 190
Can you replace just the fans? Or jury rig a case fan or two on the GPU?


US federal spending per person per year, in constant 2025 dollars:
1925 - $153.00
2025 - $20,497.00

"In the vast library of socialist books, there’s not a single volume on how to create wealth, only how to take and “redistribute” it.” - David Horowitz (RIP)

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." Thomas Sowell
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,061
Likes: 19
K
It's KRT not Kurt
Hotshot
It's KRT not Kurt
Hotshot
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,061
Likes: 19
Originally Posted by F4UDash4
Can you replace just the fans? Or jury rig a case fan or two on the GPU?
Probably not, I mean between the two cards I have they are both twin fan but different diameters and tiny connector may not be the same size even though both Asus and I have all kinds of old cards with all different fans none are interchangeable unfortunately


Win 11 Pro
MSI B450M-A PRO MAX AM4 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz (4.25 GHz Max Boost) 95W Desktop Processor 16GB RAM
MSI GTX 1070 8Gb

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
September 15th Battle of Britain Day.
by RedToo - 09/15/26 08:06 PM
Population Patterns
by PanzerMeyer - 09/15/26 03:43 PM
"Problem occurred in connection"
by F4UDash4 - 09/14/26 01:41 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,070,195 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1