SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Hop To
Page 375 of 442 1 2 … 373 374 375 376 377 … 441 442
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,323
Likes: 19
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,323
Likes: 19
I don't remember these scenes on the videotapes. First time I saw Alien and Aliens were on these CBS FOX VHS Dad had, which I still have.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]



[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]


Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,323
Likes: 19
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,323
Likes: 19
Highest-grossing films of 2023

Rank Title Distributor Domestic gross
1. Barbie Warner Bros. $636,220,453
2. The Super Mario Bros. Movie Universal $574,934,330
3. Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse Sony $381,311,319
4. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 Disney $358,995,815
5. Oppenheimer Universal $326,098,985
6. The Little Mermaid Disney $298,172,056
7. Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania $214,504,909
8. John Wick: Chapter 4 Lionsgate $187,131,806
9. Sound of Freedom Angel Studios $184,174,633
10. Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour AMC Theatres/Cinemark Theatres $179,635,196

I''ve only saw Barbie, Oppenheimer, John Wick Chapter 4

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy
Highest-grossing films of 2023

Rank Title Distributor Domestic gross
1. Barbie Warner Bros. $636,220,453
2. The Super Mario Bros. Movie Universal $574,934,330
3. Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse Sony $381,311,319
4. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 Disney $358,995,815
5. Oppenheimer Universal $326,098,985
6. The Little Mermaid Disney $298,172,056
7. Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania $214,504,909
8. John Wick: Chapter 4 Lionsgate $187,131,806
9. Sound of Freedom Angel Studios $184,174,633
10. Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour AMC Theatres/Cinemark Theatres $179,635,196

I''ve only saw Barbie, Oppenheimer, John Wick Chapter 4


You should specify and say that these are the highest grossing films domestically, not internationally.

Sound of Freedom made an absolute killing because it was a very low budget movie.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,912
Likes: 32
D
DM Offline
Senior Member
Senior Member
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,912
Likes: 32
Saw Rebel Moon on Netflix, it was truly an awful film. Shame, I initially had high hopes for it (even when I noticed it was directed by Zack Snyder) but it sucked.

Characters that were the most simple(ton) one-dimensional with no logic or personality, a plot written for children (if those children were also rather dull) which was also a Magnificent Seven-esque clone. Visuals were good, but then these days all visuals are good with enough money thrown at them.

The film had zero charm, nothing interesting, nothing imaginative, nothing original, nothing worth watching. There was really nothing there.

I did notice though that Harvey Weinstein turned up in a role as a gay rapist.

Last edited by DM; 01/03/24 02:18 AM.

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,323
Likes: 19
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,323
Likes: 19

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
Talk about obscure 80’s films……


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,323
Likes: 19
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,323
Likes: 19
Raiders of the Lost Ark and Back to the Future won't be the same after seeing these:





Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 18,145
Likes: 190
F
Veteran
Veteran
F Online: Cool
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 18,145
Likes: 190
All I want to know is how Indy survived the U-Boat trip.


US federal spending per person per year, in constant 2025 dollars:
1925 - $153.00
2025 - $20,497.00

"In the vast library of socialist books, there’s not a single volume on how to create wealth, only how to take and “redistribute” it.” - David Horowitz (RIP)

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." Thomas Sowell
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,323
Likes: 19
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,323
Likes: 19
WIKI:

Quote
Filming began in La Rochelle, depicting the capture of the Bantu Wind by a Nazi U-boat. Associate producer Watts borrowed a submarine from the war film Das Boot (1981) on condition it not be taken into deep waters. World War II German U-boat pens in La Rochelle represented the U-boat dock.


Did not know it's the same submarine.

Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,323
Likes: 19
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,323
Likes: 19
Originally Posted by F4UDash4
All I want to know is how Indy survived the U-Boat trip.


WIKI

Quote
Spielberg's first cut was close to three hours long before he and Kahn re-edited it to just under two hours.

Changes included the removal of a scene showing Jones holding on to the U-boat periscope to follow the Nazis; Spielberg thought it looked poor and hoped the audiences would not care how Jones accomplished the feat.



Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 11,410
Likes: 10
Pilgrim
Veteran
Pilgrim
Veteran
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 11,410
Likes: 10
I'm watching the BBC's Edge of Darkness with Bob Peck a second time after several years. I think I'm enjoying it even more this time around as its one of those scripts with a lot of moving parts and I'm picking up more though it still can be hard for me to follow it at times. Its a fairly involved political drama with nuanced conspiracy elements so its a bit of a challenge for me to piece together along with the difficulty my ear has with some of the British accents but its very well done and acted.

There's a couple of scenes that really stand out to me in particular as being very well choreographed and filmed. One is a scene with actor Joe Don Baker carefully entering a suspect's home with pistol drawn as he moves from space to space all the while the camera follows in a pretty cool long shot of the whole thing. A very well thought out piece of filming. The other is when they infiltrate "Northmoore" which looks like they may have used an active coal mine for the location of the nuclear facility. There's a tense chase that finds Inspector Craven visibly and realistically winded and vomiting as he locks himself inside a communications room filled with telephones of which none work as its long since been decommissioned. However he finally finds one lone phone that providentially it seems still maintains a line out of the facility and it rings and rings. Cut to another scene of a police woman at a random location unknown as she is drawn to the basement to the sound of a mysterious telephone ringing. She finds it and picks up the receiver but its the wrong phone. She searches a little further until she finds a forgotten telephone in the back behind stacks of forgotten files. She picks up the receiver with baffled curiosity saying "hello?" to which Inspector Crane desperately shouts "GET ME PENDELTON"!


John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
M
Veteran
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
Saw a movie over the weekend...

"Level 16" -- Not a bad lower budget scifi movie. Creeped my wife out.

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy
Originally Posted by F4UDash4
All I want to know is how Indy survived the U-Boat trip.


WIKI

Quote
Spielberg's first cut was close to three hours long before he and Kahn re-edited it to just under two hours.

Changes included the removal of a scene showing Jones holding on to the U-boat periscope to follow the Nazis; Spielberg thought it looked poor and hoped the audiences would not care how Jones accomplished the feat.





Kinda silly worrying about details like that when you also have an Afrika Korps which didn't exist in 1936, the German Army in Egypt in 1936 when Egypt was part of the British Empire and oh yeah, killer supernatural forces coming out of religious relics.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,323
Likes: 19
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,323
Likes: 19
Originally Posted by F4UDash4
All I want to know is how Indy survived the U-Boat trip.


I want know how Indy and the girl leave the Nazi controlled island with the ark and back to Washington DC.

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy
Originally Posted by F4UDash4
All I want to know is how Indy survived the U-Boat trip.


I want know how Indy and the girl leave the Nazi controlled island with the ark and back to Washington DC.



Re-read my latest post.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 2,213
Likes: 40
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 2,213
Likes: 40
I watched Top Gun : Maverick on Netflix a couple of days ago.

I`m happy that I didn`t spend money to watch it in a theatre.

What a dissapointment.

Last edited by Wigean; 01/16/24 02:01 PM.

“We are still in the age of legends. You and I will not enter the promised land. We who have begun always perish before Jericho falls.”
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by Wigean
I watched Top Gun : Maverick on Netflix a couple of days ago.

I`m happy that I didn`t spend money to watch it in a theatre.

What a dissapointment.



What did you not like about it specifically?


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 18,145
Likes: 190
F
Veteran
Veteran
F Online: Cool
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 18,145
Likes: 190
I did not see "Maverick" in theater, I wish I had. Watched it twice since, I think it's better than the original. Story wise at least, the Hornet is not as impressive on screen as the Tomcat.

I was impressed by the in cockpit details like grabbing the paddle switch for G override.


US federal spending per person per year, in constant 2025 dollars:
1925 - $153.00
2025 - $20,497.00

"In the vast library of socialist books, there’s not a single volume on how to create wealth, only how to take and “redistribute” it.” - David Horowitz (RIP)

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." Thomas Sowell
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,323
Likes: 19
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,323
Likes: 19
Isn't the bombing run of Top Gun Maverick same as Star Wars Death Star trench run?

Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,825
Likes: 84
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,825
Likes: 84
Originally Posted by Wigean
I watched Top Gun : Maverick on Netflix a couple of days ago.

I`m happy that I didn`t spend money to watch it in a theatre.

What a dissapointment.


I saw it three times in theater and several times at home. Personally I think is as good if not better than the first. Ticked all the nostalgic boxes for me at least.

I have heard a third is being written. Suits me - would rather that than the Marvel drivel that keeps on being pumped out.

Page 375 of 442 1 2 … 373 374 375 376 377 … 441 442

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
September 15th Battle of Britain Day.
by RedToo - 09/15/26 08:06 PM
Population Patterns
by PanzerMeyer - 09/15/26 03:43 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,074,565 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1