SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Wigean #4635256 09/10/23 10:47 AM
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 9,573
Likes: 11
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 9,573
Likes: 11
Quote
Starfield Surpasses Skyrim’s Steam Concurrency Peak; Mod Tools Coming in 2024

Starfield has now surpassed the Steam concurrency peak of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, ... entering Steam's all-time Top 30.

Bethesda also plans to keep gamers glued to Starfield for a long time between official DLCs (Shattered Space being the first story expansion), free updates, and mods. Game Director Todd Howard revealed that the official Starfield modding tools will be released sometime in 2024. [Quote] "With mods, you will be able to do almost anything, just like in previous works. Mod support will be available next year"


Being an Amateur Modder, I'll wait for the Mod Tools prior to me playing (Mod Tools are a fairly complete version of the Game Development Software). If I make my own mods, I feel less like a cheater smile

Worthy of note, a lot of Mods are already being made. So, probably, the "game will change substantially" over the next many months -- due to Bethesda and the Serious Modders who put Mods on-line.


Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 24"P (180hz/1080p) + Samsung 32" Odyssey Neo G7 4K 1000R Curved (165Hz/4K/2160p) + 24"P (180hz/1080p), AMD R9-9950X, 64GB [email protected], GIGABYTE X870E AORUS Master MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~58TB storage, 1300W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, EVGA X20 Mouse, W11 Pro
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Wigean #4635269 09/10/23 07:14 PM
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
M
Veteran
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
The Steam forums are currently much better than the game. There's a huge battle between wokesters and anti-wokesters. Very entertaining. All because Nexusmods banned any mod attempting to remove pronouns from Starfield.

Mr_Blastman #4635276 09/11/23 07:01 AM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,363
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,363
Just did a mission that had a zero G gunfight in a casino spaceship. That was pretty cool. Ammo is expensive and seems to be scarce, so that is good too. I am seeing some clipping that interferes with aiming behind cover, however. I think a GTA/ME style "snap to cover" mechanic would be appropriate in this game.
I understand why they populated the environments more than one would expect in real space, but wherever I land on a moon or planet there always seem to be several large installations within viewing distance. Occasionally I would like to see somplete desolation (if only to find a good spot to build an outpost).

Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
Best played in survival mode, like pretty much anything else.

That's what I am doing now. Went through some story missions to the point where I have built enough XP and inventory to go trekking. Only using the robot as a companion and tell him to "wait here" before the fighting starts.

Last edited by Johan217; 09/11/23 07:26 AM.

Undercarriage lever a bit sticky was it, Sir?
Mr_Blastman #4635285 09/11/23 10:39 AM
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,026
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,026
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
The Steam forums are currently much better than the game. There's a huge battle between wokesters and anti-wokesters. Very entertaining. All because Nexusmods banned any mod attempting to remove pronouns from Starfield.



Society truly has become obsessed with trifles.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 09/11/23 10:41 AM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Wigean #4635342 09/12/23 09:29 AM
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,913
Likes: 32
D
DM Online: Content
Senior Member
Senior Member
D Online: Content
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,913
Likes: 32
Mmmmm. Trifles.


"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
Wigean #4635343 09/12/23 09:33 AM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 750
Member
Member
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 750
So, Starfield any good?

archermav #4635347 09/12/23 11:47 AM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,363
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,363
Originally Posted by archermav
So, Starfield any good?
The closest games I can compare this to are Fallout 3 and New Vegas with space dogfighting like in Star Wars Squadrons. Aside from the story missions, you fast travel between planets where you have random encounters which may get repetitive. It does not excel as an RPG, shooter or open world adventure. Possibly the best way to enjoy it is to go along with the story until you have built up enough XP and credits to unlock what you're interested in. Craft your preferred suits/weapons and build your own space ship or outpost.and then watch how they work in the game. It does have a TON of customization options.

I'm about 12 hours in and have not come across any glaring bugs. Game runs smoothly on my 4 year old system without crashes. Any issues I have come across I put down as unfortunate game design: inconsistent key bindings that don't seem to make sense, menus and inventory system that require too many clicks, not having useful maps of game locations, etc. Basically: if are looking for frustration you will definitely find it in this game. But it can also offer a lot of fun if it is your kind of game.


Undercarriage lever a bit sticky was it, Sir?
Wigean #4635349 09/12/23 12:11 PM
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,026
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,026
Likes: 66
Thanks for that informative post Johan. I'll wait until later this year to buy Starfield after it has been patched a few times. I'm still busy with Baldur's Gate 3 anyway.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 09/12/23 12:15 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Wigean #4635355 09/12/23 02:36 PM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 750
Member
Member
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 750
Thanks Johan, appreciate you posting.

Wigean #4635442 09/14/23 01:16 PM
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,064
Likes: 19
K
It's KRT not Kurt
Hotshot
It's KRT not Kurt
Hotshot
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,064
Likes: 19
After looking at Can I run it, apparently my system falls short from my 6 core 3.5Ghz CPU or my Vid card. But after reading a few pages I'd probably just be bored with it, I already have RDR2 and I barely play it

Last edited by KRT_Bong; 09/14/23 01:17 PM.

Win 11 Pro
MSI B450M-A PRO MAX AM4 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz (4.25 GHz Max Boost) 95W Desktop Processor 16GB RAM
MSI GTX 1070 8Gb
KRT_Bong #4635443 09/14/23 01:23 PM
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,026
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,026
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by KRT_Bong
I already have RDR2 and I barely play it



Would you say it's due more to the setting of the game or the actual gameplay itself?


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
PanzerMeyer #4635448 09/14/23 02:49 PM
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,064
Likes: 19
K
It's KRT not Kurt
Hotshot
It's KRT not Kurt
Hotshot
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,064
Likes: 19
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by KRT_Bong
I already have RDR2 and I barely play it



Would you say it's due more to the setting of the game or the actual gameplay itself?

No it's beautiful, runs great I dunno I just can't stick with it I can get into the hunting and cowboy stuff, there's a lot to do but..


Win 11 Pro
MSI B450M-A PRO MAX AM4 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz (4.25 GHz Max Boost) 95W Desktop Processor 16GB RAM
MSI GTX 1070 8Gb
Wigean #4635552 09/16/23 01:34 AM
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 12,417
Likes: 12
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 12,417
Likes: 12

PanzerMeyer #4635555 09/16/23 02:35 AM
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
M
Veteran
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by KRT_Bong
I already have RDR2 and I barely play it



Would you say it's due more to the setting of the game or the actual gameplay itself?


My issue with RDR2 is basically the game forces you to use 3rd person view in order to win gunfights while relying on autoaim. If you try to first person the whole game, eventually you will lose to almost every bounty hunter encounter because they can kill you in 2 seconds flat, and there's no humanly way possible to take them out with manual aim using a mouse in the same timespan.

Some of us simply do not like 3rd person _at all_ when gunplay is involved.

Wigean #4635560 09/16/23 12:14 PM
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,095
Likes: 80
Strategerizer
Veteran
Strategerizer
Veteran
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,095
Likes: 80
I played through the entirety of RDR 2 plus the epilogue in first person in free aim. Dead eye is the key for the big shootouts.

Well, to be accurate, I was in third person when on horseback, but the rest was done in first person

I'm a massive Fallout fan, and I've played just about every Bethesda game that has come down the pike. I like space, and space themes and settings. Yet, I remain unconvinced by Starfield. I'll probably pick it up own the line like I do with most games.


To achieve anything in this game you must be prepared to dabble in the boundary of disaster — Stirling Moss
DBond #4635564 09/16/23 04:09 PM
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
M
Veteran
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
Originally Posted by DBond
I played through the entirety of RDR 2 plus the epilogue in first person in free aim. Dead eye is the key for the big shootouts.

Well, to be accurate, I was in third person when on horseback, but the rest was done in first person

I'm a massive Fallout fan, and I've played just about every Bethesda game that has come down the pike. I like space, and space themes and settings. Yet, I remain unconvinced by Starfield. I'll probably pick it up own the line like I do with most games.


As a former competitive first person shooter player, I never could figure out how deadeye works. The concept of letting the game do the shooting for me befuddles me. It never seemed to work properly in first person.

Wigean #4635566 09/16/23 04:24 PM
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,095
Likes: 80
Strategerizer
Veteran
Strategerizer
Veteran
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,095
Likes: 80
Dead Eye doesn't do the shooting, it slows time, like bullet time. Works great, I think. Like in the shootouts in the big set piece missions I could perforate a half dozen bad guys betwixt the eyes in what was probably two seconds of real time.

And it allows accurate aimed fire from horseback too. Those bounty hunters chasing you can be shot without much problem using dead eye.

Edit: To be fair, you can mark multiple enemies using dead eye and then it does indeed do the shooting, but I only used that in the tutorial for it in Valentine. After that I used dead eye a lot but always pulled the trigger myself.


Last edited by DBond; 09/16/23 04:38 PM.

To achieve anything in this game you must be prepared to dabble in the boundary of disaster — Stirling Moss
Wigean #4635679 09/18/23 11:28 PM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 7,126
T
Hotshot
Hotshot
T Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 7,126
Refunded. I understand this game was outsourced to a multitude of studios.

Hard to believe Bethesda had anything to do with it. Utter garbage.


"College graduates should not have to live out their 20s in their childhood bedrooms, staring up at fading Obama posters and wondering when they can move out and get going with life" - Paul Ryan
TerribleTwo #4635700 09/19/23 10:28 AM
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,026
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,026
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by TerribleTwo
I understand this game was outsourced to a multitude of studios.



That's pretty standard practice with AAA titles where development budgets often go over 100 million.

What was it about the gameplay and/or setting that made you get the refund?


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Wigean #4635705 09/19/23 12:04 PM
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,474
Likes: 13
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,474
Likes: 13
It's certainly not garbage... there are thousands upon thousands loving it.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
September 15th Battle of Britain Day.
by RedToo - 09/15/26 08:06 PM
Population Patterns
by PanzerMeyer - 09/15/26 03:43 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,074,908 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1