SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 64 of 107 1 2 … 62 63 64 65 66 … 106 107
DBond #4628976 06/16/23 09:47 AM
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 10,118
K
Veteran
Veteran
K Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 10,118
Another FaceBook video on wheel nuts, https://www.facebook.com/watch?v=577432431181355


There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

DBond #4629020 06/17/23 08:54 AM
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 4,490
Likes: 46
R
Senior Member
Senior Member
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 4,490
Likes: 46
With the rain, we have quite an unpredictable race on our hands, have we not ?

DBond #4629024 06/17/23 10:26 AM
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 2,213
Likes: 40
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 2,213
Likes: 40
Yes.

Forecast says rain today. Tomorrow mostly cloudy.

I predict Bottas in pole position. biggrin


“We are still in the age of legends. You and I will not enter the promised land. We who have begun always perish before Jericho falls.”
DBond #4629025 06/17/23 11:15 AM
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 10,118
K
Veteran
Veteran
K Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 10,118
Slightly overcast, variable cloud density, here in Ottawa (about 100 miles west of Montreal).
The weather forecast, https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/weather/quebec/montreal/


There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
DBond #4629026 06/17/23 12:05 PM
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,095
Likes: 80
Strategerizer
Veteran
Strategerizer
Veteran
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,095
Likes: 80
The rain is a spanner in the works! So who knows what will happen today.

Merc topped the time sheets yesterday after FP1 was a dud due to the problems with the closed circuit cameras. Looking over the data though it is still Red Bull with a slight advantage over Ferrari over a single lap, by the slimmest of margins, which extends to two tenths in race pace. But the rain throws most of that out of the window for quali. This track is a heavy braking track and if it is wet we could see some mayhem. I hope we do!

Merc look to be third or fourth fastest based on the data, but it is very tight between them, Fez and Aston Martin. I think quali will come down to a shootout between Max, Fernando and Leclerc. It's anyone's game today.


To achieve anything in this game you must be prepared to dabble in the boundary of disaster — Stirling Moss
DBond #4629087 06/18/23 01:38 PM
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,095
Likes: 80
Strategerizer
Veteran
Strategerizer
Veteran
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,095
Likes: 80
Worst qualifying. They can't all be dramatic and epic. But yeah, the weather ruined the spectacle didn't it? And it's usually the opposite so that was a bit of a surprise. But if it just keeps getting wetter then no one can improve and we get this sort of thing. Max going out so early in Q3 was key as it turned out. Despite no drama really, it was still an interesting session and we have some out of order, which is always spicy. Several drivers then got grid penalties for various infractions so it's all a bit jumbled. Leclerc and Perez especially are out of place and will be looking to go forward. Of course this week I picked Leclerc for fantasy and then he qualifies like that.

But I'm not so sure that's a bad thing. Qualifying up front isn't necessarily good for fantasy, as I'm finding out. Points are awarded for overtaking and taken away for dropping places, and those that start at the front can only go backwards. Fast cars out of place down the order have bigger potential to score points, or so I have to hope.

Hoping for a good race today, and we are overdue for mayhem and chaos, are we not?


To achieve anything in this game you must be prepared to dabble in the boundary of disaster — Stirling Moss
DBond #4629089 06/18/23 01:54 PM
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 2,213
Likes: 40
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 2,213
Likes: 40
biggrin You bet.

Bring it on!

boing driving : boing


“We are still in the age of legends. You and I will not enter the promised land. We who have begun always perish before Jericho falls.”
DBond #4629126 06/19/23 12:10 PM
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,095
Likes: 80
Strategerizer
Veteran
Strategerizer
Veteran
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,095
Likes: 80
Well, congrats to Max who got it done again, and evidently he had a dead bird stuck in front of this brake duct most of the race. The race itself was rather pedestrian, not much going on really And too bad it was on at the same time as Road America.

Good race for Hamilton and Alonso. The Ferraris had a good result too. They made the right strat calls this time around. They'd be hoping for wins and podiums, but this was a good result all things considered, including starting in the middle of the grid. Checo wasn't able to make an impression and his title fight is well and truly over I'd say. He should never have opened his gob about how he was still in the fight. There were four races in the can at that point. Talk about that when there are four races left. Red Bull have a nice gap, but Perez needs to start putting in better results. He's had a string of poor ones now. Sixth isn't bad, but he's in the Red Bull, so...

The most amazing thing to me was Russell kept going. I mean, what the hell. His car exploded in a shower off bodywork and he was surely done. A few minutes later he's back in the race and with great pace! Couldn't believe it.

Had a decent fantasy result, having made three changes. Brought in Leclerc, Tsunoda and Zhou, all of whom went forward in the race, but I was still outpaced by both rollnloop and Sintax to now sit further behind. I'm 100 points off the pace and it's looking like a damp defense.

I voted for Albon as driver of the day


To achieve anything in this game you must be prepared to dabble in the boundary of disaster — Stirling Moss
DBond #4629178 06/20/23 04:00 AM
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 4,490
Likes: 46
R
Senior Member
Senior Member
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 4,490
Likes: 46
Hamilton and Alonso fighting, ain't it nice ?


Ferrari not clowning, ain't a delight ?

Albon 7th on merit, perfect smash

DBond #4629822 06/26/23 03:32 PM
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,095
Likes: 80
Strategerizer
Veteran
Strategerizer
Veteran
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,095
Likes: 80
Back at it this week boys. Osterreichring I mean, AI Ring Red Bull Ring is the venue. This is one of my favorite tracks to race in sims. Just a handful of turns, but a great track to drive. Good overtaking in to turns 3 and 4. Three DRS zones. And one of the most striking backdrops on the calendar. It is amazingly beautiful round here of course. This will be a sprint weekend.

For those of us who enjoy the vintage stuff I found this cool graphic. It shows the current layout superimposed over the historic one. Ooops, I can't copy the image, so here's a link

https://www.circuitsofthepast.com/osterreichring-lap/

Looking forward to the races. Get your fantasy sorted. Good luck!

Indy rolls up to Mid-Ohio as well this weekend. Another of my top tracks. Our cup runneth over )


To achieve anything in this game you must be prepared to dabble in the boundary of disaster — Stirling Moss
DBond #4629857 06/26/23 07:49 PM
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 4,490
Likes: 46
R
Senior Member
Senior Member
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 4,490
Likes: 46
I like the flow of austria very much.

I think it's quite hard on tyres so Ferrari will have to pass a true test. Other than this and Max dominating, I think it's quite open.

DBond #4629858 06/26/23 07:51 PM
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 4,490
Likes: 46
R
Senior Member
Senior Member
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 4,490
Likes: 46
It's crazy to see how most new circuits are much smaller than the older ones, while cars run twice as fast.

DBond #4630017 06/28/23 12:27 PM
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,095
Likes: 80
Strategerizer
Veteran
Strategerizer
Veteran
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,095
Likes: 80
Every example of that I can think of has the newer version shorter. If we set aside der Nurburgring for a moment, Interlagos is the one that strikes me as being the most different from the old track. The old Interlagos was really long, and the modern track would look tiny superimposed like above.


To achieve anything in this game you must be prepared to dabble in the boundary of disaster — Stirling Moss
DBond #4630079 06/28/23 07:58 PM
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 4,582
Likes: 39
Motorius Emeritus
Senior Member
Motorius Emeritus
Senior Member
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 4,582
Likes: 39
A circuit like Silverstone might be longer today than the original layout but in general I agree the trend has been to shorten tracks and with the cars now being able to lap many a circuit in the 60-90 seconds region the tracks begin to seem impossibly small and fidgety.

They certainly seem to keep the driver very busy which has come to me quite illustratively by hot lapping the Red Bull Ring today, changing gears, direction and speed incessantly.

The Formula Hybrid from RSS that I drove apparently needs me to be quite precise when placing the car for turns and then turning in quite agressively, trusting in the downforce to carry me through.

Breaking points are clearly dependant on whether the track goes up-hill or down-hill and breaking pressure I find hard to apply consistently, perhaps the old G25 is a bit vintage piece of kit in this day and age.

Years ago I ran laps the GP2 generation of sims to learn the tracks in prep for the broadcasts and back then I found it a valuable learning tool for that purpose. My recent hot lapping in a modern F1 car has been a bit of an eye opener for me. I’ve found new respect for the real drivers.

Well, I can offer another excuse for my lack of blistering laptimes apart from lack of talent, I’m much much older than most of the drivers, even much older than Alonso. hahaha

Last edited by McGonigle; 06/28/23 08:00 PM.

Jens C. Lindblad


Sent from my Desktop
DBond #4630102 06/29/23 12:01 AM
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,095
Likes: 80
Strategerizer
Veteran
Strategerizer
Veteran
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,095
Likes: 80
I too got old before Fernando Alonso did.

Diving deeper in to our topic, I found this cool page.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/10-tracks-that-have-changed-a-hell-of-a-lot-since-f1s-first-visit/

It makes the comparisons we are on about illustratively, which is nice.

And OK, the new Interlagos does not look tiny when superimposed. Actually, at a glance it doesn't look all that much shorter. But when you trace the track and see how it loops, you see how much different it is now. 3.6km shorter is a lot, nearly as much as another grand prix circuit. I wasn't aware of this layout until I drove it in AMS2, and it just went on and on as I went off and off. You can see how the track is going the same way from the start line, but at Ferradura it reverses and you're going the opposite way through the next sections compared to the modern routing.

And of course I completely forgot about Spa. And I've been driving that one a lot, the '71 version I think. Whichever one is in AMS2. Hockenheim too, way shorter now.
Attachments
interlagos.jpg


To achieve anything in this game you must be prepared to dabble in the boundary of disaster — Stirling Moss
DBond #4630231 06/30/23 05:08 PM
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,095
Likes: 80
Strategerizer
Veteran
Strategerizer
Veteran
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,095
Likes: 80
Last year I gave a bit of stick to Hamilton for getting beat most of the time by his teammate. But this year Russel has been poor and Hamilton has driven great. Credit where it is due.

McLaren look a lot better don't they? Piastri track limits killed me. he's in my team this week.

Perez should have kept his pie hole closed. I said it before but #%&*$#, like a cliff diver. Give Danny Ric a shot!

For fantasy out went Leclerc and Zhou, in came Perez and Piastri. Not good yet, but they should each move forward and score good points. I hope.


To achieve anything in this game you must be prepared to dabble in the boundary of disaster — Stirling Moss
DBond #4630237 06/30/23 06:38 PM
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 4,490
Likes: 46
R
Senior Member
Senior Member
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 4,490
Likes: 46
So, will we finally have a contest of Max's dominance this week ?

With two Ferraris so close, I'd love to hope. Sadly I don't.

I wouldn't give Danny ric a drive if I was Marko, I would take Alex back.

Either Williams are much more potent than expected and Sargeant is weak, or Alex is World Champion material.

And I'm a huge Danny ric fan, so it costs me.

DBond #4630251 07/01/23 12:35 PM
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,095
Likes: 80
Strategerizer
Veteran
Strategerizer
Veteran
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,095
Likes: 80
Maybe? Max still out in front, but if the track is wet you never know.

As soon as I praise Hamilton, that happens.

Hopefully it will be a good sprint race.


To achieve anything in this game you must be prepared to dabble in the boundary of disaster — Stirling Moss
DBond #4630262 07/01/23 03:55 PM
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,095
Likes: 80
Strategerizer
Veteran
Strategerizer
Veteran
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,095
Likes: 80
Not much of a sprint until they started pitting for slicks and it came alive. Max and Checo had their elbows out at the start.

The deference shown between the two Aston drivers is robbing us of some good battles. I'd like to see them race each other more.


To achieve anything in this game you must be prepared to dabble in the boundary of disaster — Stirling Moss
DBond #4630266 07/01/23 05:13 PM
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 2,213
Likes: 40
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 2,213
Likes: 40
Good sprint when without DRS.

IIf there should be any controversy between Checo and Verstappen, I believe it was the way Verstappen intercepted Checo in turn 3. Just to shut off the mexican he braked late and they came to a complete stop.


“We are still in the age of legends. You and I will not enter the promised land. We who have begun always perish before Jericho falls.”
Page 64 of 107 1 2 … 62 63 64 65 66 … 106 107

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
September 15th Battle of Britain Day.
by RedToo - 09/15/26 08:06 PM
Population Patterns
by PanzerMeyer - 09/15/26 03:43 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,074,895 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1