SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Hop To
Page 347 of 442 1 2 … 345 346 347 348 349 … 441 442
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,020
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,020
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman


3) "Invisible Man" -- Better than expected, aside from one major screw up with believability in one spot. There simply wasn't enough time for one scene to play out like it did. This was a nice twist on the age old "invisible dude" formula, and unlike Chevy Chase's film, this one wasn't a comedy. What we got was a fairly intensely paced thriller. Good. *** out of **** stars.




Has Chevy Chase ever done a straight non-comedic role? I can't think of any at all.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
M
Veteran
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
Unlike Steve Martin I do not think he has.

Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
M
Veteran
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
I finished the series "Mad Men" last night. Wow. What a show. I'll have to rate this one later as I'm still processing everything.

Now I need a new series to watch every night that I have not seen. I know whatever I pick will likely not be as good as 'Men.

Considering a few but open to ideas:
Yellowstone
Continuum
Boardwalk Empire

I'm in the mood for sci fi I think. Problem is there's little out there that can compete with "Mr. Robot" or "Twelve Monkeys," I imagine.

Criteria is the series must be complete, or finishing in the next couple of months.

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,020
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,020
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman


Considering a few but open to ideas:
Yellowstone
Continuum
Boardwalk Empire

I'm in the mood for sci fi I think. Problem is there's little out there that can compete with "Mr. Robot" or "Twelve Monkeys," I imagine.

Criteria is the series must be complete, or finishing in the next couple of months.



I've not seen any of those three shows but based on what I've read and discussed with other film/show geeks, "Yellowstone" is basically a modern day Western "soap opera". Take that as you will.

"Continuum" is highly praised by many sci-fi fans so you may want to check that one out.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,825
Likes: 84
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,825
Likes: 84
Yellowstone is amazing. If you like Kevin Costner, that is.

I do. Best vehicle he's been in for years.

Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,321
Likes: 19
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,321
Likes: 19
Mandalorian season 3 ending. Shoulda had 10 episodes and not just 8.

Season 4 will be in a galaxy far far away, 2025 too far away

Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,321
Likes: 19
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,321
Likes: 19
Picard season 3 ending. It was good to see the entire Generations crew again,

[Linked Image]

the Enterprise D and also some familiar faces like Admiral Shelby, Q and Tuvok.


This was the end of Picard series but from the end credits I think there will be a new Star Trek series
with the new Enterprise G with Captain Seven Of Nine in command.


Also was this the end
of the Borg?

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,020
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,020
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy


Season 4 will be in a galaxy far far away, 2025 too far away



Watch other shows in the meantime.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
M
Veteran
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
I saw a few movies the last couple of weeks:

1) "Auto Focus" -- This movie was incredibly painful to watch--uncomfortably so. I felt like I needed a long shower afterwards, with extra soap. I had no idea Bob Crane of "Hogan's Heroes" lead such a life. ** 1/2 out of **** stars. The movie was well done, but the lingering feeling afterwards was not pleasant at all.

2) "Chinatown" -- I have not given a movie I have never seen before a perfect score in at least six years, I believe--not since "The Godfather" combined films of part one and two. That movie came out in the 1970s. So did Chinatown. Sad to think I have not seen a new release in the last half decade worthy of such accolade, but I have not. For some reason I missed "Chinatown" all these years. Jack Nicholson and Faye Dunaway carry out their roles flawlessly. So did John Houston. Likely I avoided this film because it was directed by the infamous Roman Polanski, and the heinousness of his alleged crimes aside(quite a bad one), I cannot ignore the brilliance of this film. Everything is perfect. The writing, the pacing, the entire genre of Noir is elevated by this picture. The entire essence of these films has been bottled up inside and a newcomer could watch this and "get" what they are all about. This is what good filmmaking should be. **** out of **** stars. Perfect.

3) "Deathtrap" -- A fun early 80s black comedy Murder mystery based on a Broadway play. Michael Caine and Christopher Reeve played their roles exceptionally well--Caine always adds to a film. There are many twists and turns and tons of witty dialogue and scenes. *** out of **** stars.

4) "Donnie Brasco" -- Quite a step up from the last Depp movie I saw, "Black Mass." And while the shadow beneath "Goodfellas" and "Godfather" is broad, here we have a legitimate gangster movie. This was a good one. I cannot imagine being in the shoes of the real life special agent who had to endure and live out this true story, so the director of this picture did us a favor and helped us come close. I don't think I would want to have filled the real 'Brasco's shoes. Definitely the entire experience must have aged him quite a bit. *** 1/2 out of **** stars.

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 04/24/23 06:32 PM.
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,020
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,020
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman

1) "Auto Focus" -- This movie was incredibly painful to watch--uncomfortably so. I felt like I needed a long shower afterwards, with extra soap. I had no idea Bob Crane of "Hogan's Heroes" lead such a life. ** 1/2 out of **** stars. The movie was well done, but the lingering feeling afterwards was not pleasant at all.

2) "Chinatown" -- I have not given a movie I have never seen before a perfect score in at least six years, I believe--not since "The Godfather" combined films of part one and two. That movie came out in the 1970s. So did Chinatown. Sad to think I have not seen a new release in the last half decade worthy of such accolade, but I have not. For some reason I missed "Chinatown" all these years. Jack Nicholson and Faye Dunaway carry out their roles flawlessly. So did John Houston. Likely I avoided this film because it was directed by the infamous Roman Polanski, and the heinousness of his alleged crimes aside(quite a bad one), I cannot ignore the brilliance of this film. Everything is perfect. The writing, the pacing, the entire genre of Noir is elevated by this picture. The entire essence of these films has been bottled up inside and a newcomer could watch this and "get" what they are all about. This is what good filmmaking should be. **** out of **** stars. Perfect.

.


Chinatown is indeed a masterpiece and I'm honestly shocked that you have not seen it until very recently! My holy trinity of Jack Nicholson films is Chinatown, The Shining and One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest. smile


As for Auto Focus, I have not seen it but I am very familiar with the infamous aspects of Bob Crane's personal life. What I find most interesting is that compared to today's celebrity scandals, what Bob Crane did was pretty innocent and no big deal. It just goes to show how societal norms change throughout the decades.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 04/24/23 06:53 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,464
Likes: 18
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,464
Likes: 18
Dungeons and Dragons: Honor Among Thieves. Just a fun movie about a couple of thieves who end up in a botched heist. Two of them end up thrown in prison. A few years later they break out and one of them tries to reunite with his daughter. Turns out a lot happened while they were locked up. They get caught up in some crazy schemes, plans are made, hijinks ensure, plans fail, and plans get changed last minute. Several characters and most of them actually have something to do and contribute to the group.

Suzume animated movie from Makoto Shinkai. Not as good as his last couple of movies and the two main characters are kind of boring and they are just there for the ride. The secondary characters and their interactions with the main characters are better. Like all of his films though, this one is visually a treat. The animations and shots are at least a treat to look at. This one follows a girl who was orphaned in the 2011 tsunami. Gets a bit fanciful as she gets caught up trying to close these weird doors to a land of the dead across Japan. They spring up in abandoned places and there's a giant worm thing that lives on the other side and tries to get out. According to the movie, the last two times it got out was 2011 and 1923, both were some major earthquakes and subsequent disasters on the Japanese islands.

Currently half way through the old Neon Genesis Evangelion. Giant robots fighting giant monsters, count me in. Although there's a bit more to it than that. Some of the music is good, but looking it up you get track lists that are specifically named after characters dying, so I guess that's ruined and not a surprise. Considering it's nearly 30 years old I shouldn't complain too much about spoilers.

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,020
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,020
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by wormfood
Dungeons and Dragons: Honor Among Thieves. Just a fun movie about a couple of thieves who end up in a botched heist. Two of them end up thrown in prison. A few years later they break out and one of them tries to reunite with his daughter. Turns out a lot happened while they were locked up. They get caught up in some crazy schemes, plans are made, hijinks ensure, plans fail, and plans get changed last minute. Several characters and most of them actually have something to do and contribute to the group.




The movie sounds rather formulaic by your description. That's also the impression I got from watching the trailer.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,368
Likes: 19
C
Veteran
Veteran
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,368
Likes: 19
'Cocaine Bear'. Based on a true story.

It's mental as you would expect. Watched it with my bro, we loved it.


If you watch Jaws backwards, it's a heart warming story about a shark that spits out so many people that they have to open a beach.
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,464
Likes: 18
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,464
Likes: 18
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by wormfood
Dungeons and Dragons: Honor Among Thieves. Just a fun movie about a couple of thieves who end up in a botched heist. Two of them end up thrown in prison. A few years later they break out and one of them tries to reunite with his daughter. Turns out a lot happened while they were locked up. They get caught up in some crazy schemes, plans are made, hijinks ensure, plans fail, and plans get changed last minute. Several characters and most of them actually have something to do and contribute to the group.




The movie sounds rather formulaic by your description. That's also the impression I got from watching the trailer.


Like a movie ham sandwich. Not a gourmet meal, but sometimes that's all you need.

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,020
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,020
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by wormfood


Like a movie ham sandwich. Not a gourmet meal, but sometimes that's all you need.



That's a great analogy and I get exactly what you mean. For me they are films that you watch once and are entertained but 2 weeks later you have a hard time remembering what the plot was or what the important scenes were.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
M
Veteran
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
Originally Posted by wormfood

Currently half way through the old Neon Genesis Evangelion. Giant robots fighting giant monsters, count me in. Although there's a bit more to it than that. Some of the music is good, but looking it up you get track lists that are specifically named after characters dying, so I guess that's ruined and not a surprise. Considering it's nearly 30 years old I shouldn't complain too much about spoilers.


Easily one of the best Anime series there is. So good. And the best parts aren't even the robots.


I started "Megazone 23," last weekend, a 1985 four movie anime series and so far it is pretty darned strong. The series deals with concepts in 80s that didn't become mainstream and wildly successful ideas until a decade or more later, which is quite interesting. If you watch you'll know what I mean. For the time period, so far, the level of fiction writing is pretty groundbreaking. I suppose I could contrast with Robotech/Macross, which also were, except Megazone is a bit more mature in themes, which is why kids never got to see this back in the day. I'll give a full review once I finish.

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 05/02/23 04:32 PM.
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,321
Likes: 19
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,321
Likes: 19
Excellent! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Devil%27s_General


Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,020
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,020
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy
Excellent! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Devil%27s_General






Curd Juergens was quite a fine actor. He's probably best known to mainstream audiences for playing the main villain "Stromberg" in the Bond film "The Spy Who Loved Me".


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,321
Likes: 19
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,321
Likes: 19

Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,976
Likes: 3
W
Far Out, Solid & Right On
Hotshot
Far Out, Solid & Right On
Hotshot
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,976
Likes: 3
Watched 2 seasons of a TV show called Traces, on Brit Box. Excellent.

Page 347 of 442 1 2 … 345 346 347 348 349 … 441 442

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
September 15th Battle of Britain Day.
by RedToo - 09/15/26 08:06 PM
Population Patterns
by PanzerMeyer - 09/15/26 03:43 PM
"Problem occurred in connection"
by F4UDash4 - 09/14/26 01:41 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,069,857 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1