SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Hop To
Page 295 of 442 1 2 … 293 294 295 296 297 … 441 442
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
M
Veteran
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
Originally Posted by wormfood
Saw The Northman over the weekend. It was above average. Had some good performances, somf of the music was good, and lots of the little historical details were (or seemed) very accurate. Plot starts out as a simple revenge tale that gets a bit more complicated later on. Some of the scenes are way to dark, not sure why they bothered filming them if you can't see them.


Was it constant action heavy or was there plenty of dialogue and many slow paced scenes? I'm not expecting Shakespearian soliloquy but I prefer not a script of one liners, etiher.


Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 04/26/22 04:41 PM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,464
Likes: 18
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,464
Likes: 18
Overall there's a bunch of dialog. You have some events at the start that get the plot moving, a fight at the start of act 2, then the big finale. Even though some of those fights are fairly large, it's not constant action throughout and there's a lot of time between.

Last edited by wormfood; 04/26/22 06:16 PM.
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
The film is being labelled as "arthouse" by many entertainment journalists so that implies some high level of character development and a good amount of deep dialogue.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
M
Veteran
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
Haha then I will watch. I enjoy arthouse cinema. These journalists are all about the lowest common denominator and likely shovel cinema such as Marvel action snorefests.

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
These journalists are all about the lowest common denominator and likely shovel cinema such as Marvel action snorefests.



They make a valid point though in this case concerning "The Northman". Even arthouse studios don't want to be in the red making films that are financial disasters. The big question here is why was such a huge budget approved for this movie?


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,751
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,751
Watching "Quigley Down under" again I just like Tom Selleck or should I say Roy ?? I guess I just prefer older movies over the stuff put out today


Russ
Semper Fi
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,368
Likes: 19
C
Veteran
Veteran
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,368
Likes: 19
'My name ain't Roy'!


If you watch Jaws backwards, it's a heart warming story about a shark that spits out so many people that they have to open a beach.
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
I've only seen bits and pieces of "Quigley Down Under" whenever I would come across it during my seemingly endless TV channel surfing during the 80's and 90's. biggrin


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
M
Veteran
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
I finished "Peaky Blinders" last night.

What a series! Great show with excellent writing that at times approached levels seen in literature, especially with subtleties embedded within dialogue. The characters evolved throughout the course of the show, sometimes more than once, which was refreshing. In fact, not just one, but almost all characters evolved at several points. Flaws were the seasonal structure, but otherwise the entire show was serial in nature with the biggest event of each season happening on the last episode and I I dare say... too short. Yes, I absolutely appreciate the condensed nature, with each season being only six episodes for a total of six season, but the writing and directing was so good that I actually find myself longing for more. I do not recall a single moment of boredom throughout, and while at times I may have figured a thing or two out, there were others that the writers managed to flip things around and keep the plot progression surprising. Highly recommend anyone who enjoys gangster movies or characters that aren't black and white. While there's true evil here, there are also hints of good sprinkled throughout and vice versa.

I rate this show a special rating. One that I've never given to another show. Because of the flaw of being seasonal in nature I cannot give the show a perfect four out of four stars. Yes, a couple other of my highest rated shows are seasonal, but I do not think "Blinders" overcame this weakness as well as it could have. Regardless, I give this show a 3.9 out of 4 star rating. At a minimum it is a 3 3/4 star show, but the writing and a characters push it higher. Not quite the tippy top, but close enough.


After this, I will have a hard time finding something as good to watch next.

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
Because of the flaw of being seasonal in nature I cannot give the show a perfect four out of four stars.



What exactly do you mean by :"seasonal in nature". Aren't all series seasonal in nature? You have feature films and then you have either a limited series (what used to be called a mini-series) and you have series that are meant to run several seasons unless they get cancelled earlier.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
M
Veteran
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
Because of the flaw of being seasonal in nature I cannot give the show a perfect four out of four stars.



What exactly do you mean by :"seasonal in nature". Aren't all series seasonal in nature? You have feature films and then you have either a limited series (what used to be called a mini-series) and you have series that are meant to run several seasons unless they get cancelled earlier.


What I meant by this was the plot structure revolving around this seasonal format.

Take "Game of Thrones," for example. In that show they have major events happening out of sequence. At times there are events of such dramatic magnitude that in a traditional seasonal show would be reserved for the last episode of the season, but in "Thrones" they might occur in the third, first, or eighth episode of a ten episode per season run. This fractures the predictable plot structuring and allows the viewer a greater element of surprise--that something huge could happen at any time, instead of us knowing what to expect. In a typical show the first episode is always world building, introducing us to the new setting, character changes, etc., then sometime around the two-thirds point we revisit characters, perhaps have some respite followed by staging that leads into the last twenty percent of the season. "Thrones" defies this. So did "Breaking Bad" and "Mr. Robot." Even "Babylon 5" defied this in the middle seasons, and such relinquishment of accepted serial norms adds to a refreshing viewing experience.

I suppose since I have written long form fiction I am constantly aware of the mechanics behind the scene, whereas many folks won't be. The majority of viewers appreciate the solidified nature of the seasonal plot progression format, much like most enjoy fiction structured like the hero's journey--because that's what they are accustomed to and if plotting deviates then the story feels weird.


Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 04/28/22 06:01 PM.
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
OK, thanks for that explanation Blastman. I definitely agree with your points.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,751
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,751
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
I've only seen bits and pieces of "Quigley Down Under" whenever I would come across it during my seemingly endless TV channel surfing during the 80's and 90's. biggrin


Try to watch the whole show PM It's a good ride


Russ
Semper Fi
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,976
Likes: 3
W
Far Out, Solid & Right On
Hotshot
Far Out, Solid & Right On
Hotshot
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,976
Likes: 3
Midway through season 3 of The Americans. I saw the first 2 a few years back. Good show.

Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,825
Likes: 84
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,825
Likes: 84
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
I finished "Peaky Blinders" last night.

What a series! Great show with excellent writing that at times approached levels seen in literature, especially with subtleties embedded within dialogue. The characters evolved throughout the course of the show, sometimes more than once, which was refreshing. In fact, not just one, but almost all characters evolved at several points. Flaws were the seasonal structure, but otherwise the entire show was serial in nature with the biggest event of each season happening on the last episode and I I dare say... too short. Yes, I absolutely appreciate the condensed nature, with each season being only six episodes for a total of six season, but the writing and directing was so good that I actually find myself longing for more. I do not recall a single moment of boredom throughout, and while at times I may have figured a thing or two out, there were others that the writers managed to flip things around and keep the plot progression surprising. Highly recommend anyone who enjoys gangster movies or characters that aren't black and white. While there's true evil here, there are also hints of good sprinkled throughout and vice versa.

I rate this show a special rating. One that I've never given to another show. Because of the flaw of being seasonal in nature I cannot give the show a perfect four out of four stars. Yes, a couple other of my highest rated shows are seasonal, but I do not think "Blinders" overcame this weakness as well as it could have. Regardless, I give this show a 3.9 out of 4 star rating. At a minimum it is a 3 3/4 star show, but the writing and a characters push it higher. Not quite the tippy top, but close enough.


After this, I will have a hard time finding something as good to watch next.




You seen Ozark? If not you may enjoy it.

Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
M
Veteran
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
Originally Posted by RossUK
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
I finished "Peaky Blinders" last night.

What a series! Great show with excellent writing that at times approached levels seen in literature, especially with subtleties embedded within dialogue. The characters evolved throughout the course of the show, sometimes more than once, which was refreshing. In fact, not just one, but almost all characters evolved at several points. Flaws were the seasonal structure, but otherwise the entire show was serial in nature with the biggest event of each season happening on the last episode and I I dare say... too short. Yes, I absolutely appreciate the condensed nature, with each season being only six episodes for a total of six season, but the writing and directing was so good that I actually find myself longing for more. I do not recall a single moment of boredom throughout, and while at times I may have figured a thing or two out, there were others that the writers managed to flip things around and keep the plot progression surprising. Highly recommend anyone who enjoys gangster movies or characters that aren't black and white. While there's true evil here, there are also hints of good sprinkled throughout and vice versa.

I rate this show a special rating. One that I've never given to another show. Because of the flaw of being seasonal in nature I cannot give the show a perfect four out of four stars. Yes, a couple other of my highest rated shows are seasonal, but I do not think "Blinders" overcame this weakness as well as it could have. Regardless, I give this show a 3.9 out of 4 star rating. At a minimum it is a 3 3/4 star show, but the writing and a characters push it higher. Not quite the tippy top, but close enough.


After this, I will have a hard time finding something as good to watch next.




You seen Ozark? If not you may enjoy it.



Yep. Great show. Haven't seen the most recent season yet, though. Saving for when I have a couple of weeks to watch.

Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,976
Likes: 3
W
Far Out, Solid & Right On
Hotshot
Far Out, Solid & Right On
Hotshot
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,976
Likes: 3
Re: Peaky Blinders. It will be interesting to see how they move forward without Polly, as she died in real life.

Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,323
Likes: 19
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,323
Likes: 19
Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy
Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy 03/20/21 03:43 AM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu
]Servant episode 10 season 2 ending with so many questions we won't get answers until next year


S03 started just now. I am very excited.






I just watch the final episode of this season. Now we have to wait until next year again! I did not predict this ending!

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
Both "Ozark" and "Peaky Blinders" are excellent examples of shows that have received tons of praise from both critics and fans but where the main premise simply didn't interest me so I passed on watching them.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,751
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,751
Watching "The Postman" haven't seen it in a few years


Russ
Semper Fi
Page 295 of 442 1 2 … 293 294 295 296 297 … 441 442

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
September 15th Battle of Britain Day.
by RedToo - 09/15/26 08:06 PM
Population Patterns
by PanzerMeyer - 09/15/26 03:43 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,074,679 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1