SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Hop To
Page 215 of 442 1 2 … 213 214 215 216 217 … 441 442
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,323
Likes: 19
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,323
Likes: 19
This good? Looking for Grace Kelly after seeing her in Rear Window. I'm doubtful cos I'm not a western fan. https://www.amazon.com/High-Noon-Gary-Cooper/dp/B000LPH18I

Will watch High Noon tomorrow watching Connery war movie first. https://www.amazon.com/Hill-Michael-Redgrave/dp/B06XZYRSVK

Last edited by NoFlyBoy; 11/01/20 01:55 AM. Reason: add info

[Linked Image]
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,323
Likes: 19
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,323
Likes: 19
Watched The Hill! Let me understand the story!! They take soldiers who can't follow order, send them to that place to be abused and beaten which is against military code to do that to a soldier - until they learn to follow orders again. Then send them back out into the battlefield to die? Fack that. Keep me out on the battlefield.


[Linked Image]
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,368
Likes: 19
C
Veteran
Veteran
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,368
Likes: 19
I just started a new series 'Truth Seekers' https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7907922/ starring Simon Pegg and Nick frost.

It's really good so far (2 episodes in).

Quote
A team of part-time paranormal investigators use homemade gizmos to track the supernatural, sharing their adventures online




If you watch Jaws backwards, it's a heart warming story about a shark that spits out so many people that they have to open a beach.
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,976
Likes: 3
W
Far Out, Solid & Right On
Hotshot
Far Out, Solid & Right On
Hotshot
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,976
Likes: 3
Watched Midway and Uncut Gems today. Midway was CGI heavy of course. Both entertaining enough to not feel like a complete waste of time.

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by WangoTango
Watched Midway and Uncut Gems today. Midway was CGI heavy of course. Both entertaining enough to not feel like a complete waste of time.



Midway surprisingly got half decent reviews from the critics. It didn't save it though from being a box office flop.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,323
Likes: 19
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,323
Likes: 19
World's Deadliest Snakes first episode , the Pacific, Vipers and Cobras and Pythons are familiar but not heard of the others

[Linked Image]


[Linked Image]
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,271
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,271
Doctor Sleep
The sequel to Kubrick’s The Shining — not an easy feat, and yet it works well.


If you ever wondered what became of Danny.

Cheers,
Slug

Last edited by Sluggish Controls; 11/08/20 12:09 AM. Reason: Keyboard malfunction

"Major Burns isn't saying much of anything, Sir. I think he's formulating the answer..." - Radar - M*A*S*H
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,751
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,751
Tombstone Val Klimer slings a bad arsed shot cup ain't no daisy for sure .got to catch Top Gun later ..Like a kid in a candy store


Russ
Semper Fi
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
I haven’t seen it but I know “Doctor Sleep” got pretty mixed reviews by the critics. It also didn’t make nearly the box office splash that WB was expecting.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
M
Veteran
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
The only thing keeping me from watching it is the length. I used to love 2.5hr movies, but since the quality of filmmaking has declined so much, the movie has to be seriously impressive for me to want to invest that amount of time in one that long.

Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,323
Likes: 19
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,323
Likes: 19
World's Deadliest Snakes third episode , the Americas, didn't knew there is more than one rattlesnake. Fer de Lance is also new to me.

[Linked Image]

Also didn't know there are so many poisonous snakes in USA.

[Linked Image]


[Linked Image]
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,790
B
Old Scroat
Senior Member
Old Scroat
Senior Member
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,790
I should think the episode on 'England's Deadliest Snakes' would be very short and dull.
We only have one, not even that deadly, and being English would probably apologise if it had the temerity to bit one. "SSSSSorry".



Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 4,121
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 4,121
Finished watching The Qeen´s Gambit on Netflix. Never thought chess could have such suspense. I did enjoy Anya Taylor-Joy´s acting, and shes from Miami biggrin

Interesting drama.


Win10 Pro(x64), i7 8700k @ 4.7Ghz, 32GB ram DDR4, Sapphire Pulse AMD RX 6700 12GB, M.2 PCIe NVMe (x2) 480GB + 960GB, 447GB SSD´s, Samsung G6 32" , Logitech G13, G502, Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Simagic Alpha Mini, and Formula Extreme FX, DC Simracing DC1 pedals, GT Omega ART cockpit, TrackIR 5.0.
AUDIO: Aiyima A07 Max, Topping E50 and L50 stack, Polk Audio Signature Elite ES20 , and Shennheiser HD 560s. DAP: Hiby R3, Hiby Seeds, and iBasso IT01, Sharp MD-MT 80H Minidisc.
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
M
Veteran
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
I saw two movies a weekend ago and two movies this weekend:

1) "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark" - 3 stars out of 4. I expected an anthology movies similar to "Trick R Treat," but instead met a movie that made the characters part of stories that were being written within the movie as part of the evolving plot. Hard to describe without giving much away. If I were younger and had not seen thousands of horror movies like I have, I would likely consider this a classic. If the production values were not so high, and the plot was not so well put together and original, I would have rated it lower. Personally I was not moved by the film like I would like to have been, but I recognize quality when I see it, thus a higher rating than I normally would give. To me, a testament to a good horror movie is one that either...

a) Gets me to shout at the screen
b) Evokes some sort of latent emotional reaction inside of me, either during the film, or later, such as the morose uneasiness I felt after watching "Maniac" a month ago.

2) "The Beyond" - 2 stars out of 4 Supposed to be a horror classic, and I guess if gore gets you off, it might be, but otherwise dragged. A week later I forgot what the title was. Worth seeing for horror fans, if only to experience a piece of history.

Kevin Bacon weekend begins! (and copious hotties)

3) "Trapped" - 3 stars out of 4 Thriller from last decade that was entertaining, and I swear I've seen before. Tight plot, well done, very entertaining. I enjoyed this, and Charlize Theron was a bonus. The ending was a little campy though, but whatever.

4) "Where the Truth Lies" - 3 stars out of 4. This one I enjoyed, for like Trapped, was well written. This film was clearly adapted from a novel due to how scenes and events were structured, along with the narrative voice. I have debated giving it a 2.5 instead of a 3 for a couple of reasons: I wasn't as emotionally invested in the ending as I could have been, for the tension was not progressive and instead, to me, seemed to stall and smooth out, thus losing effect. I suppose to many who watch this film, they might be shocked, or even appreciate the "plot twist," which I won't give away, but let's say that it is relevant to modern "progressive" trends, and in a movie that was released in 2005. I then checked and saw that was the year that "Brokeback" came out, so, I shouldn't be so surprised, after all. I watched the movie initially because of the striking hottie in the lead role--she was very easy to watch, but the mysterious story was pretty good throughout. I suppose normally I'd say that a film like this might be duplicitous in nature, but the writing quality made up for that, which is odd.


A point on how I choose a movie to watch:

I don't watch previews.
I don't read full reviews, only look at he scores, and skim at best.

Most of the time I know nothing about a film I am about to watch, and often randomly spin the roulette wheel and see where I land. The only criteria I use to pick a movie to watch are...
a) The genre
b) The writers
c) Ratings and reviews
d) The actors - sometimes I want to see some hotties, other times I want to see a particular dude or gal be their badass persona, etc.

So I end up watching films I would otherwise never watch, had I been fully aware of what they were about. This is good and bad. Good in that I see things I would not have, thus keeping me abreast of cultural trends, etc., and bad in that I see things sometimes that I have to close my ears and eyes on, to get past.

Most of the time I have absolutely no idea what I am about to watch, beyond a few pictures, along with the title and description.



Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 11/09/20 06:18 PM.
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
The only thing keeping me from watching it is the length. I used to love 2.5hr movies, but since the quality of filmmaking has declined so much, the movie has to be seriously impressive for me to want to invest that amount of time in one that long.



I think a viewer truly realizes just how great "Seven Samurai" is when they come to the realization that the film is almost 3.5 hours and not one minute seems to be extraneous fluff.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 11/09/20 10:49 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,323
Likes: 19
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,323
Likes: 19


[Linked Image]
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
M
Veteran
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
The only thing keeping me from watching it is the length. I used to love 2.5hr movies, but since the quality of filmmaking has declined so much, the movie has to be seriously impressive for me to want to invest that amount of time in one that long.



I think a viewer truly realizes just how great "Seven Samurai" is when they come to the realization that the film is almost 3.5 hours and not one minute seems to be extraneous fluff.


Yep, they exist. I call them "like watching candy." "Scarface" and "The Godfather" are two of them.

Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,323
Likes: 19
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,323
Likes: 19
Watching this: https://www.smithsonianchannel.com/details/show/100-missions-surviving-vietnam

100 missions? That's a whole lot of lots! In World War II it was 25 missions. This is 100! No pilot can survive 100 and go home alive without being shot down first or killed.


[Linked Image]
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 18,145
Likes: 190
F
Veteran
Veteran
F Offline
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 18,145
Likes: 190
Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy
No pilot can survive 100 and go home alive without being shot down first or killed.


And yet they did, so why post such a silly declaration?


US federal spending per person per year, in constant 2025 dollars:
1925 - $153.00
2025 - $20,497.00

"In the vast library of socialist books, there’s not a single volume on how to create wealth, only how to take and “redistribute” it.” - David Horowitz (RIP)

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." Thomas Sowell
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,323
Likes: 19
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,323
Likes: 19
This hit Netflix this morning. A cartoon. Hard pass! https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9308682/


[Linked Image]
Page 215 of 442 1 2 … 213 214 215 216 217 … 441 442

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
September 15th Battle of Britain Day.
by RedToo - 09/15/26 08:06 PM
Population Patterns
by PanzerMeyer - 09/15/26 03:43 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,074,679 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1