SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 178 of 227 1 2 … 176 177 178 179 180 … 226 227
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,997
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,997
If you were flying a Camel, spins can be hard to pull out of, depending on the nature of the crafts attitude at the time.


(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,659
C
Hotshot
Hotshot
C Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,659
I agree, They were brave men to fly in those death traps.

Last edited by carrick58; 01/30/18 01:09 AM.
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,659
C
Hotshot
Hotshot
C Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,659
Kefir de Lyon
Spa 83, GC 14
2 Section
Vauberon, Marne.

Jan 29, 1918.

Arrived this morning from Flight Training with N-17,s. The comandant show me the controls and introduced me to the Spad 7 and my fellow drivers. We went up for and area orientation about an hour. then and afternoon Patrol of the lines with 2 section. My fellow aviators kept me safe as the enemy flight shot threw us my 1st look. The section claimed 2 shot down for 2 Lt Damaged.
Attachments
CFS3 2018-01-29 16-50-49-66.jpg CFS3 2018-01-29 16-50-21-18.jpg

Last edited by carrick58; 01/30/18 01:08 AM.
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 3,696
F
Senior Member
Senior Member
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 3,696
Carrick, sorry about Jeffery. Good luck with Kefir. That's a mighty nice shot, that first one!


"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,106
Member
Member
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,106
Carrick, rough go with Jeffery. Best of luck with the new garcon!

Geoffrey Corderoy has had quite a week. I fear he is experiencing a bit of Albert Ball's spirit of recklessness...


Diary of Capt. Geoffrey Corderoy, RFC
Part 31: 29 September to 1 October 1917

29 Sep 1917 – Ste-Marie-Cappel


Corporal McGlashon brings me tea at five and an hour later I am climbing into the early light of a cold autumn morning. I shall buy one of the new coverall-type flying suits when I get to London. Duncan got one at Harrod’s and they are, he says, toasty. We have four bombs each and we are bound for Menen aerodrome to roust the poor Huns out of their slumbers.

We turn north over the shattered town and spot the field at the north side, picking out a distinctive windmill as our landmark. Quick in and quick out, leaving smoke and flame behind. We climb over some low cloud and enjoy the crisp air. But three Albatri approach from the south. We are four, Horn having turned back with a dud engine. There is a short, hot scrap before I get behind a yellow EA with a red nose. My last burst hits him behind the cockpit and the machine falls out of control. There is another moving in behind, so I do not get to see my quarry fall. Duncan dispatches the Hun on my tail and suddenly it is all over. We have bagged two for sure, and possibly mine as well. Our breakfast is well earned.

I am in high spirits when we get to Mrs Duclos’ for second breakfast. Caldwell comments that he has not heard me shout and laugh so much in the mess. Perhaps I am discovering where I belong.

Shortly after noon is our second patrol. This time it is a DOP over to Wasquehal. There is not much traffic today despite the perfect conditions. We stalk and attack a high-flying Rumpler, which I damage and which Hamersley finishes.

My Albatros of the morning has been confirmed by the PBI! Good lads and drinks for the RO! That makes 21.

[Linked Image]
"There is a short, hot scrap before I get behind a yellow EA with a red nose."

30 Sep 1917

The armourers have fitted our Vickers with the new ammunition belts with the disintegrating metal links. We are in the air at first light on a southern OP to test them. Soden spies a pair of Rumplers about a mile ahead and a little above as we approach Bethune. We stalk them as far as the lines. Crompton and I take the one on the left. I pull up under him and fire. Immediately, petrol vapour pours from the Hun and it begins to tumble down, its pilot likely dead. Crompton and I come perilously close to colliding. The second Hun falls to Soden. The Rumpler is confirmed by Crompton -- victory number 22.

Before lunch we have our second patrol. This is another southern sector OP. There is a fierce tangle with a large group of Albatri. I drive one – a yellow machine with a green stripe around its fuselage – into a dive, but I cannot say for sure whether it was in control or not, so it remains merely “driven down.”

[Linked Image]
"Immediately, petrol vapour pours from the Hun and it begins to tumble down, its pilot likely dead."

1 October 1917

We take off at four and form up over Droglandt, where a beacon is shown to allow us to assemble. We are carrying bombs again and are destined for the enemy field at Masny, south of Douai. In daylight this is a very dangerous area, but Wing believes we can get in and out before first light and do some serious damage.

Wing is right. We sweep in at only 1000 feet and meet nearly no opposition from ground fire. My bombs straddle the hangars and I zoom to our regrouping point south of the field. By the time we turn west, the place is truly alight. We spotted some machines on the field at Roucourt. I am tempted to pay them a call, but I have a new fellow named Scarborough with us and I want to bring him home.

Again we are back up in the late morning, patrolling at 11000 feet from Lille down to Lens. I see a pair of two-seaters in the distance south of Houplin and we give chase, but a large formation of Albatri approaches from the north. We are in danger of being cut off. The Hun scouts do not appear to have seen us, for they make a leisurely turn to the north. I climb northeast, placing our five machines between the Huns and the low sun. Then three of the Huns turn towards us and the surprise is ruined. If we are to fight outnumbered and without the advantage, I prefer we do it closer to home, so I lead our SEs westward. Now the entire Hun formation is following us.

I want to turn on them between our trenches and the Lys, but Crompton is 2 i/c and he turns with Duncan to meet the Huns, who have a slight height advantage still. I turn with Scarborough and Hamersley to support them.

What a brawl! For several minutes I have two or three of the Albatri taking turns at me. I get snap shots at them, but they hit my grid at least three time. There is a ragged hole in the upper plane not far from my head. Then I catch one blue machine in a steep bank and rake it with a long burst. The Hun puts down his nose and dives away with Hamersley and Scarborough behind. I am alone with the remaining EA, a black-coloured machine with a white ring around its fuselage. The wind is not strong today, so we drift eastward only gradually. Already the fight has gone ten minutes. I get a crack at the Hun as he approaches head on, full left rudder letting me fire obliquely into him as he flashed past. He is damaged and can no longer out-turn my SE. I quickly get behind him and fire. The Hun noses down, trailing smoke. I watch and circle as he spirals lazily downwards and slams into the mud close to the German lines.

I circle and wait for our scattered patrol to re-form. Down below, barely 1000 feet above the shell craters, the sun catches the wings of an eastbound machine. It is a yellow Albatros. I dive on the Hun and within seconds am firing. I hold the triggers down until we nearly collide. The Hun slips away in a bank and dives straight into the earth. Two Huns in the space of a morning!

[Linked Image]
"The Hun noses down, trailing smoke."

Hamersley is able to confirm both, so numbers 23 and 24 are in the books.

Get summonsed to the squadron office after tea. Major-General Trenchard wishes to convey personal congratulations. We are becoming rather good pals these days! He says he intends to mention in Comic Cuts that I have destroyed nine enemy aircraft in the space of a single week, and he promises to submit a recommendation for another decoration (“Make a note of that, Baring!”). I am wise enough not to ask about leave.

A little over a week ago I was feeling a tad nervy and longing for leave and home. Now I suddenly feel rather giddy and would happily keep going here in France. Over drinks, and perhaps I am drinking a bit more than usual, I ask Caldwell to let me know if I start to act rashly. I have seen others lose their judgement when they are played out. I do not yet feel played out, but it would be rotten to get myself killed when so close to some time at home. Caldwell reminds me that he too is due for leave soon, and tells me he’ll bloody well take me with him by force.

Attachments
Kill #21.jpg Kill #22.jpg Kill #23.png

Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,997
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,997
Really enjoyed that report Raine. Corduroy is becoming quite the deadly Hunter.
Hope he stays safe and keeps one eye on his six.


(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,997
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,997
15 Jul 1917 @ 05h00 Intercept incoming North of Vimy

Godfrey awoke to a scramble at 04h40. No time to wash or eat. He quickly put on his sidcot, fug boots, grabbed his scarf and gloves and rushed off, adjusting his hear gear. Both “A” and “B” flights were quickly greeted by the C.O. in the briefing hut as they rushed in. “There is no time for leisure here fellow, so don’t bother to sit down. The forward observers have reported by W/T that there is a flight of Huns crossing the lines near Vimy. I want “B” flight to take the advance on this one with “A” flight flying top cover to assist”.
There is the possibility of thunder storms with the heavy cumulus out there today, so take appropriate care. That is all.”

The men all quickly left the hut and ran to their Nieuports. They were soon airborne 20 minutes after the scramble call.

Godfrey lead his flight composed of Berkeley on wing, Grid, Beck, and Horn due North. There would not be the usual circling north of the field to attain altitude. They would have to achieve maximum while on their direct flight to Vimy. “B” flight composed of Bill, Moley, Jack, Mongoose, and Pappy were close behind. By 05h20 both flights were at 6500 ft heading to the lines.
At 05h25 they crossed over at much the same altitude. “B” flight attempting to gain cover altitude had dropped back. The visibility was poor with the flights in and out of cloud and mist. At 05h27 while at 6600 ft and climbing, Godfrey spotted a black speck off his starboard nose and turned towards it to investigate. Soon another became visible slightly farther on. They appeared to be circling but it was not yet possible to identify the crafts.
As shortened the distance Godfrey noted the closest one had the profile of a Hun scout of the Albatros type. The Huns had not noticed their approach and Godfrey took his flight in to take the advantage of surprise.

Godfrey soon began an attack on the first Albatros of the DIII variety with markings from Jasta 5. After several volleys the Hun began to descend with Grid on his tail to finish the job. Godfrey searched the skies and spotted several more which were clearly out of range but soon his eyes fell on one low off his port side and he took to it like a peregrine on a pigeon.
He again scored several hits but not enough to do serious damage and it soon became clear that the Huns had the advantage of speed and were able to pull away from the N23’s in level flight. Godfrey let him go and searched again, finding two more Huns coming east from the lines. One of which he was able to approach head on and swing onto it’s six. He sent many volleys into the craft and watched as pieces kept breaking from it with each volley and yet it still continued to pull away, until finally the Hun made a fatal mistake and broke into a tight left hand turn that allowed Godfrey to close on him, and note that the Hun’s craft had alternating white and red bands around the fuselage length. It didn’t take long for The Vickers to finish of the Hun and send him smoking into the ground. Godfrey was down now to about 1500 feet and began to climb out as the Hun flak started to become to proliferous. Berkeley was still on his wing and they quickly met up with the rest of the flight. They had travelled well behind enemy lines and were somewhere near Douai. Godfrey took them back across the lines and circled for a time looking for “A” flight which never materialized.

“B” flight returned to base and reported in to the R.O.
It sees that Godfrey had the only confirmed kill. Grid was unable to catch his hun. As they were reporting, The men could hear the engines of some N23’s overhead and stepped out to observe. Three craft were circling to land, two of them looked a little wobbly. It was Bill and Jack coming in poorly with Moley close behind. Soden and Pappy were missing from the flight.

There was some extreme tension evident by the quietness of the men of “B” flight as they watched the Nieuports touch down. Everyone rushed out to the field noting that Bill and Jack’s N23 had shot up control surfaces. That said, the men themselves were not harmed. They reported that Mongoose and Pappy had gone down just inside their lines and that they had observed in both cases that the pilots had managed to extricate themselves from their crafts.
There was hope that they weren’t seriously injured.

Word came in from the front line trenches that Soden and Pope had been recovered with light wounds but their N23’s were totally destroyed. Both had been hit by the same flak explosion which went down as a freak incident. Both Jenkins and Rutherford had suffered similar damage from flak. The Hun batteries were noted as being rather dangerous around the Douai area as a result, and so it was noted to be extremely careful in that area.


Last edited by Robert_Wiggins; 01/30/18 03:46 AM.

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 214
D
Member
Member
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 214
Fantastic stories everyone. It is nice way to start the day before the coffee hits the system.

Carrick, Im sorry to see Jeffery head west. Best of luck with your new one.

Raine, Mr Corderoy is becoming quite the hunter! Stay sharp. And after your comment I realized that 62 Sqn flies the F2b and not the FE2b. Certainly not confusing at all. No wonder I usually stick to the Pups, Camels and Tripes!

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,659
C
Hotshot
Hotshot
C Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,659
Thanks all. I was really surprised when the a/c went un controllable maybe I should have just left the AI on instead of trying to fix it. Oh well !

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,659
C
Hotshot
Hotshot
C Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,659
Kefir de Lyon
Spa 83, GC 14
2 Section
Vauberon, Marne.

Jan 30, 1918.

The Esc. mixed it up with a Bosche Jasta this morning . The odds were kinda even both of us had 10 a/c in 2 flights. The A/c broke up into sperated fights after the Melee started. I got in some good shots at zee e/a 's , but nothing went down.
Attachments
CFS3 2018-01-30 09-32-44-58.jpg

Last edited by carrick58; 01/31/18 02:44 AM.
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 3,696
F
Senior Member
Senior Member
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 3,696
Raine, Robert and Carrick, another set of fine reports.
So, Geoffrey all of a sudden is the Sierra Hotel pilot on the Western Front. What’s his secret? Dating brass hat’s daughter?
Godfrey is due for a new crate. It hurts to watch the Hun get away.
And Kefir is lunging headlong into the fray. Good going!


"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,659
C
Hotshot
Hotshot
C Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,659
Lunging into the fray ? He got pushed !

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,659
C
Hotshot
Hotshot
C Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,659
Kefir de Lyon
Spa 83, GC 14
2 Section
Vauberon, Marne.

Jan 31, 1918.


Relocated to new AF near Paris. Its called Thiers-sur-theve. Theres a place called Chateau de la Fem not far from the city Fine dining and atmosphere .


https://giphy.com/gifs/singer-cc-rider-3o7526IiGfqGmHltUQ/fullscreen

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,659
C
Hotshot
Hotshot
C Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,659
Kefir de Lyon
Spa 83, GC 14


Feb 1, 1918.


Raining outside so a formation was held in the Mess. Attention To Orders: Spa 83 is to keep its Staff Members in the Rest area near Paris while the Rest of the Pilots are reassigned as Re-placements to other Esc's Signed General E. Clair HQ 1st Army. With that, I was ordered to Report to Esc 38 , equipped with Spad VII 's, at La melette, in Verdun. The other pilots went to different Esc. Good thing I went to the Chateau instead of unpacking.

Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,111
Likes: 5
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,111
Likes: 5
Yes the DID Campaign is strong! Nice to see everyone flying. Nice reports, screenshots and videos.

Geoffrey Goddard
1RFC
Flanders.

Jan. 29th
My balloon was confirmed. The Phalz was rejected. I was told all of my claims would not be confirmed but it was still a let down. Today we are to escort a single DH4 to note troop movement near St. Vaast. Shortly after rendezvous my wingman signaled engine trouble and turned back. Now we are two. Once over the lines Capt. Clayton did a Wing over and I followed but could not see why. I followed the best I could and on we were headed straight east at 3000’. Soon I saw his quarry! A DV over Haurboudine. He dove and missed the mark. I followed and with 2 bursts it exploded in mid air. Feeling very full of myself I started to form up with Clayton about a mile off when tracers began whizzing past my head! Bullets smash into my instruments and windscreen. Making a climbing turn I am in a duel with another DV. Ground fire and Archie is finding its mark as I am low over a Hun airfield. One Archie round hits close and I feel and hear a loud bang. Something like a hot iron hit my thigh. “Your in a real fix now old boy” I thought to myself. As soon as I have the sun behind me I straighten out and head west. I can surely out run him in an SE. Now my oil pressure is dropping! I climb to 3000’ and hope the old girl can hold together. My adversary is still in full chase. Just befor the lines the engine starts to give out and I switch off and make a dive for our side. I make a bumpy landing just in front of our trenches. I unbuckle and run like a scalded dog to the nearest trench. Back at base I filed my claim and considered myself lucky to be alive.

Jan. 30th
I am now an ace! Clayson witnessed my DV.

Jan. 31st
E machine patrol of our fields around Leiettres. No contact but a fine day. 4 still missing at mess. 2 wounded and 2 missing and presumed dead. We have no spare machines but we carry on.


Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,659
C
Hotshot
Hotshot
C Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,659
good reports all.

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,659
C
Hotshot
Hotshot
C Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,659
Kefir de Lyon
Sgt, Esc 38
La Melette AF
Verdun, France.



Feb 2, 1918.

Assigned a/c # 8 , A well used and worn down machine, in the last Vee in 2 section. Posted to the afternoon Patrol ( 10 a/c) of the lines. We passed under a Bosche flight of five and they came down on us. The flights scattered and I was chased for awhile til I did a reversal. The e/a passed under and I swung to the right getting on his tail and Wa La ! I had him. The machine fell next to one of our balloons ( confirmed ) The Esc claimed 3 destroyed I spotted 2 smoking going down + my kill. No losses.
Attachments
CFS3 2018-02-01 08-29-54-16.jpg CFS3 2018-02-01 08-39-45-23.jpg CFS3 2018-02-01 09-07-52-53.jpg CFS3 2018-02-01 09-10-36-20.jpg CFS3 2018-02-01 09-14-36-65.jpg

Last edited by carrick58; 02/02/18 02:04 AM.
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,106
Member
Member
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,106
Carrick, some terrific photos are coming from Kefir! MFair, it's so good to see you back in the air. Your Geoffrey gave me a scare there. I hope you can keep him going to the end.

Geoffrey Corderoy is about to get his first real leave, which should let me get off on my visit to France and Belgium in a few days. Watch for photos...


Diary of Capt. Geoffrey Corderoy, RFC
Part 32: 2-7 October 1917

2 October 1917 – Ste-Marie-Cappel


Weather is getting brisk. Have the later patrol (8:15 am) so plenty of time for tea and toast. Chatted with Scarborough, our new lad. Very pleasant fellow, a little older than some of the others. He is married, too, but very fearful for his wife. He served with the South Staffordshires, but transferred to the RFC to avoid posting to Ireland last year. His mother’s side of the family is Irish, it seems. He is a natural pilot, but somewhat windy. The poor fellow is lost. I have ordered him to take the rear position in our flight and to dive below us if we come into contact. It is the only way these days for new men to stay alive until they acquire a sense for war flying.

The day is absolutely cloudless after a night of light rain. We are bound for a Hun aerodrome east of Menen. Scarborough drops out over the lines and turns about. We have a good go at the field, shooting up several hangars and dropping bombs on the sheds. On the return trip a formation of Albatri passes overhead, escorting a pair of two-seaters. We begin to climb to surprise them, but they see us first and streak down on us like gannets. In the first few seconds of the melee, I take hits on the left side and feel the lateral controls go mushy. Jenkins quickly comes to my rescue. Despite difficulty keeping the machine level, I am able to bring it around with a lot of rudder and spot the Hun that hit me diving away. I go after him and surprise him with a burst from close behind. The EA begins to smoke and noses down, crashing into the mud beside the Lys and between the lines. Jenkins confirms the kill, which is my 25th.

We are back east of Menen in the afternoon and again encounter some aggressive Huns. I hit one which spins away. Hamersley finishes him off. I damage another, and this one falls a minute later to Rutherford. We have had quite the day!

As soon as I land I ask Sgt Nicod to examine Scarborough’s machine, but he informs me that it was yet another case of a defective camshaft. To top it off, Scarborough’s machine lost its prop and crashed on landing at Bailleul and the poor fellow is in hospital.

[Linked Image]
"The EA begins to smoke and noses down..."

3 October 1917

Morning is defensive patrol to Furnes, up close to the Channel. Rain soaks us in the cockpits before we take off and I shiver all the way up to 8500 feet, just above the heavy low cloud layer. It is grey even at that height. There is little chance of seeing anything.

It is Soden who spots them, a pair of DFWs. The man is a marvel. I swear he smells the Hun sometimes. The two enemy machines are a little above us and are heading east. Over Hondschoote, our Archie begins a hearty welcome, coming closer to our SEs than to the Huns. By a prearranged signal, I drift off to the left of the Huns while the others attack in pairs to keep the observers off balance. I turn in from the front quarter and hold the trigger paddles down for a long burst from abeam. The nearer DFW flies through my tracer and immediately begins to tumble out of control. The pilot must have fallen on his control column. I spiral down and note the position of the crash, next to a small stone bridge where a lane crosses a stream close behind our lines. Number 26 is in the books.

At three we fly a second defensive patrol, this one down to Albert. Pope downs a two-seater.

[Linked Image]
"I spiral down and note the position of the crash..."

6 October 1917

Rain all day yesterday and today. At least I have received a wonderful letter from home. My father has been home for several weeks, awaiting a new task from the War Office, and I am invited to make use of his flat in Fitzrovia when I get to London. They really are topping, for they are not insisting that I proceed straight home when I get to England.

As if by some divine plan, my leave comes through. I am to depart 60 Squadron on the 8th and report to the Aircraft Depot, where I shall either be required to ferry a machine to England or given a travel warrant. Once back in England, I shall be a free man until the 18th, when I am to report to the Hotel Cecil for further orders. On the 20th there is the investiture at Buckingham Palace. After that I shall be assigned elsewhere – where that may be is still a mystery. All I know is that I shall miss the people at Sixty dreadfully. I came here in a terrible funk after a bad experience at 46, and since my arrival success and fortune have been companions.

I wanted to visit Scarborough today, but we have received news that the poor chap has died. His injuries were not serious, but a cut on his face became septic and he went quickly. I spend the afternoon with Horn going through his kit. There is usually some salacious material to be consigned to the stove, but poor Scarborough was a genuine vicar, it seems. He had asked me to bring some letters and a few personal items to his wife if anything happened to him. Like a fool I had assured him that such a thing would never me necessary. I read the address on one of his wife’s letters: she lives in Oxford. I shall be close enough once I get home. Here’s a little task to cast a shadow over one’s leave!

There is to be a farewell binge tomorrow night. Caldwell is leaving the squadron too. Major Patrick, Caldwell, and I take a walk into the village and enjoy a couple of bottles of champagne. I struggle to express myself, but let Patrick know how much his trust and support have meant to me. He is the best of men.

7 October 1917

The major wanted to excuse me from flying today, but I insisted on going up again.

The rain stops at eight and we take off at 9:15 to shoot up Hunnish rail transport near Loos. The clouds are still low so we cross at 4500 feet and get frightfully knocked about by Archie. We play about the countryside, shooting up some marching Huns and supply waggons, and then setting some sheds alight at a rail yard.

We return intact. There is one more patrol, the last of our day at four o’clock. Both Chidlaw-Roberts and Caldwell insist on coming along, together with Soden, Horn, and Duncan. We are to meet with some French two-seaters and escort them to take photographs behind the front at Passchendaele.

One last flight over the horrid moonscape of the salient. The Frenchmen take their time while I scan the low cloud above, fully expecting the Baron’s entire circus to emerge like the Valkyries. But it is a ride in the country this afternoon. We see our companions safely home and return to Ste-Marie-Cappel one final time.

Attachments
Kill #25.png Kill #26.png

Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,111
Likes: 5
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,111
Likes: 5
Raine, enjoy your trip and be safe in your travels my friend. Looking forward to your return.


Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 214
D
Member
Member
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 214
Absolutely wonderful reports, Gents. I shall endeavour to put one up shortly, as Collin and his Sqn have now reached the front lines.

Page 178 of 227 1 2 … 176 177 178 179 180 … 226 227

Moderated by  Polovski, Winding Man 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
September 15th Battle of Britain Day.
by RedToo - 09/15/26 08:06 PM
Population Patterns
by PanzerMeyer - 09/15/26 03:43 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,074,520 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1