SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,509
Every Human is Unique
Member
Every Human is Unique
Member
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,509
Quote:
So the march of technology should be determined by your 10-year-old inkjet and copy of Falcon 3.0?

I did not say that technology should bend to my desires, I said I should have the option to use new tech or not. My air conditioning is an 8" box fan. Should I be required to install central air? When the phone on my wall is no longer supported, should I be jailed because I choose to venture out into the world without a cell phone? If you refuse to acknowledge old school, you become the slave to modern.


TPA who TWI
"The 10th Amendment simply says that any powers that aren’t mentioned in the Constitution as belonging to the government belong to the states themselves."
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,751
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,751
Well spoken Brit44..I agree with that 100%,,I dread my machine dying and being forced to a Win 10 one


Russ
Semper Fi
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 612
Likes: 1
Member
Member
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 612
Likes: 1
On 100% Linux here now. Not using Windows 8.1 or any other because I no longer need it.

And btw: hope y'all are ready because Windows is set to push updates to win 7, 8, 10

Tuesday release, on October 11.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/wind...vicing-changes/

the only place you will be safe are vista, xp and Linux / bsd / other OS




Last edited by FsFOOT; 10/08/16 03:43 AM.

My Archives

you can't be a Peacemaker and a War Monger at the same time..
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,169
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,169
Take up printed in PC Pro September 2016 (Stats from NetMarketShare - Win 10 currently up to 22.53%)








'Crashing and Burning since 1987'
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 22,096
C
Lifer
Lifer
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 22,096
Originally Posted By: FsFOOT
On 100% Linux here now. Not using Windows 8.1 or any other because I no longer need it.

And btw: hope y'all are ready because Windows is set to push updates to win 7, 8, 10

Tuesday release, on October 11.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/wind...vicing-changes/

the only place you will be safe are vista, xp and Linux / bsd / other OS




Still on Win 7 and using SpybotAnt-Beacon, and manually check for security updates. Earlier this week I started getting a notification that Malwarebytes was blocking an attempt inbound to run some Windows processes. Strange. Never got that before. Happened 3 times late Monday and Tuesday. Then it stopped. Later that day I rebooted the computer and got "This is not a valid copy of Windows" which it is. Rebooted and that returned to verified. I started scanning, checking, and spent hours going through everything with in-depth scans. Nothing. Clean. After seeing this I wonder if Microsoft has been the culprit.


Wisdom is knowing what's enough
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,768
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,768
It is really sad that one has to spend time and lots of efforts on soemthing that should just work and help, instead of preventing a company to screw up a paid-for, legally and working operating system.

Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 751
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 751
At work I have Windows 10 on my machine and it's not too bad to work with.

At home I have Windows 7 on my machine and my wife's machine. Still prefer that version.

Probably because that's what we're used to now. I just don't like the tablet like interface of 8 and now 10.

Just my preferences.

Andy


Andy's simpit: http://www.simpit.me.uk
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 612
Likes: 1
Member
Member
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 612
Likes: 1


My Archives

you can't be a Peacemaker and a War Monger at the same time..
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 612
Likes: 1
Member
Member
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 612
Likes: 1


My Archives

you can't be a Peacemaker and a War Monger at the same time..
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 22,096
C
Lifer
Lifer
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 22,096
https://youtu.be/wgKJMsJ-6XU

Forget the presentor, but listen to what he is saying.


Wisdom is knowing what's enough
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 15,786
H
I Fought Diablo
Veteran
I Fought Diablo
Veteran
H Offline
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 15,786
I switched to Windows 10 on all devices as i don't have any issues with it and did not like Windows 8/8.1. Plus the focus of protecting Windows OS from malware shifts to the newer OS both on the part of Microsoft as well as anti-virus providers. In addition to that I'm likely to find fewer complications when adding any new hardware in 2017


"everything lives by a law, a central balance sustains all"
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 11,187
Likes: 36
A
Veteran
Veteran
A Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 11,187
Likes: 36

Just for the record, that, like most of the scare articles about Windows 10, is largely incorrect.

Here's an article that actually corrected itself, albeit in small print at the bottom:
http://betanews.com/2016/11/24/microsoft-shares-windows-10-telemetry-data-with-third-parties/

Here are some details on how articles like that get traction:
http://www.zdnet.com/article/fake-news-its-not-just-for-politics-anymore/


Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 365
F
Member
Member
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 365
Likewise switched all my pcs/laptops to Windows 10 to make it simpler and prepare for the future as eventually all previous versions of windows will stop being supported. Windows 10 is easy to use .As for the privacy MS can milk all the data they want I don't use my pcs for personal stuff. The only annoying things are the updates that can ruins games that used to work fine before.

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,562
Chief Pheasant Controller
Hotshot
Chief Pheasant Controller
Hotshot
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,562
Originally Posted By: frinik22
I don't use my pcs for personal stuff. The only annoying things are the updates that can ruins games that used to work fine before.


So no bills, taxes, investments or work activity. Then, games get broken.

Pretty sure this covers just about all I have ever used a computer for but maybe I'm alone.


"For I know the plans that I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Matthew 5:11

Indeed we call blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of the perseverance of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, because “the Lord is compassionate and merciful. James 5:11
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 365
F
Member
Member
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 365
11 years ago, my bank's computer's were hacked and I had to change everything, my bank accounts, credit card, ATM card etc. I learned the lesson. If a bank cannot protect itself against hackers how can I? I stopped using my pc or laptops for important stuff so if I am ever hacked, phished whatever there's nothing of value they can have from me. Just look at Yahoo, 2 billion accounts hacked and they informed their clients only 3 years after the fact....

Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 1
T
Junior Member
Junior Member
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 1
I've been using Windows 10 ever since the free upgrade and I love it, actually. I mainly use it for web browsing (I'm in a "phase" of wanting to put together the same type of Ludwig blue sparkle double-bass drum kit that Elvis's former drummer, Ronnie Tutt, used from the Fall of 1970 to August 21, 1974.

I'm hoping that I can accomplish this feat before the year is out. I've wanted a kit like that for over thirty years.

A friend in Texas put together a kit like I'm describing and I have pics.

Here's they are:



Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 11,187
Likes: 36
A
Veteran
Veteran
A Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 11,187
Likes: 36
Here's an article on personal tech security in general:
http://www.zdnet.com/article/simple-security-step-by-step-guide/

And linked in that article is another one specific to securing Windows 10:
http://www.zdnet.com/article/take-control-of-your-privacy-in-windows-10/


Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 12,571
Likes: 2
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 12,571
Likes: 2
Wow! I accidentally clicked this thread and saw that beautiful drum set! thumbsup



The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 612
Likes: 1
Member
Member
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 612
Likes: 1


My Archives

you can't be a Peacemaker and a War Monger at the same time..
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,509
Every Human is Unique
Member
Every Human is Unique
Member
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,509
I quit buying win BLOWS products after XP. I have never owned a cell phone. :P I am still alive and doing exactly what makes me happy. I hope you are doing what makes your existence enjoyable.


TPA who TWI
"The 10th Amendment simply says that any powers that aren’t mentioned in the Constitution as belonging to the government belong to the states themselves."
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
September 15th Battle of Britain Day.
by RedToo - 09/15/26 08:06 PM
Population Patterns
by PanzerMeyer - 09/15/26 03:43 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,070,440 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1