SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 42 of 54 1 2 … 40 41 42 43 44 … 53 54
Richardg #4304195 10/18/16 08:50 PM
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,082
-
Veteran
Veteran
- Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,082
Originally Posted By: bkthunder
Are you kidding me?? Do you really think real life fighter pilots that use Aim-120s know better than ED how the missile perform???
You're gonna have to be more specific than that, and give me the specific specifics specificatorum of eligible un-negligible edible evidence of your claim if you want ED to take a look at this.


[Russian accent] You are mistaken, comrade bkthunder. A-A missile performance of American fighters is correct as per Russian intelligence information. [/Russian accent]


Originally Posted By: Richardg
Why do 6 amramms miss a 6 o clock aspect shot at a target 5 nm away???


Obviously, **YOU** don't have the "gift!" biggrin

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Paradaz #4304320 10/19/16 09:40 AM
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 196
D
(OC) Pythagoras
Member
(OC) Pythagoras
Member
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 196
It is funny how we all occasionally have blinkers on in the matters that we feel attached to. I will be the first to admit here that others have frustrated me with their constant point of view for what every reason that has no real balance in my opinion. I really hope Troll is still going to stick around, as I find the guys such as Troll bring a different and good direction here, plus a state of mind to all the different subjects, I fine it would be a little unbalanced around here without him.

As far as the discussions here, I have read some of the post over at Steel beast which are of similar views, as pointed out earlier here.

Here is one from Ssnake the developer of seel beasts. I do wish ED was more inclined to battle it out, even a little like Ssnake does, but I can understand why ED doesn't bother to get involved and just get the mods to do their job here. This did open my eyes a little tho coming from the developer of steel beasts.

Originally Posted By: Quote
Your answer to my constructive criticism is simply to threaten to silence me.


Originally Posted By: Ssnake

No. Your opinion, even if it runs contrary to mine, is appreciated. What I do not appreciate is that you ignore all arguments coming from the very developer that you want to change somethin telling you that it's not quite as simple as you make it to be. That's not "constructive criticism", it's closer to ignorant dismissal. You don't actually read or try to comprehend what the people who disagree with you are trying to tell you. You just pick the bits and pieces that fit your preconceived ideas and ignore everything that doesn't. Either this is a disingenious way to participate in a discussion (you don't sound like you're stupid), or it's at least on the borderline to trolling.

Tree collisions alone, just to stick to that point that so far you chose to ignore, is a HUGE issue in ground simulation, simply because of the sheer numbers (millions), the large areas that are affected (anywhere up to 80%), the fact that tree branches can prematurely detonate munitions passing through, and we haven't even touched the issue of line of sight calculations. Given that the topic of trees in ground simulations is a widely covered topic in the academic field of modeling & simulations and that you do not need to invest weeks to learn a certain software in order to find out what this is about, I suggest that this time YOU do your own leg work and read up a little bit about the associated mathematics before you go on. Because if you are really interested in meaningful answers, you need to learn to ask meaningful questions and present relevant examples. DCS World and Falcon 4 are not relevant for a wide range of reasons; let me just say "ground resolution".

If we reduced the terrain mesh width in Falcon or DCS to the levels that are used in SB Pro - 12.5 meters - rather than the hundreds of meters that they use you'd grind these simulations to a halt because they simply could not perform the line of sight calculations that they currently do.Handling ground forces in a non-persistent simulation bubble is permissible - good practice even - for a jet bomber simulation, but absolutely no-go for simulating ground combat in professional training for the roles for which SB Pro is being used.

NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING that you presented so far can be directly applied to our case in the way that you did it. That's not to say that SB Pro is perfect the way it is and that nothing can be improved. There is a lot of room for improvement. We know it very well, it's just that, and I've been telling you this right from the start, not only are the questions at hand more complicated than you make them sound to be, we're also talking about entirely different economical boundary conditions. Team size is one that you chose to declare as "irrelevant" (based on what knowledge?), market size is one, and let's not forget that the old Falcon 4 engine that the countless volunteers of programmers improved to the culminating point of BMS, had a head start of more than 11 million USD that Microprose sunk into the engine's development.

I'm not the least diminishishing the accomplishment of the people that worked on Falcon after Microprose went bust - the very same people make up for 80% of the current Steel Beasts programmers' team - by saying that they built the BMS pyramid on the top of a very tall mountain that Microprose bulldozed into the landscape.

Steel Beasts is "just" a pyramid built on a level ground. It was literally built from scratch and hasn't yet received the same finishing treatment that BMS is to the original Falcon 4. So it's also not quite so shiny to look at. You don't need to tell me that because I very well know that myself.

http://www.steelbeasts.com/topic/10537-suggestion-for-graphics-of-sb-pro-41/?page=5

Last edited by David_OC; 10/19/16 10:00 AM.
Paradaz #4304324 10/19/16 10:28 AM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 14,410
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 14,410
die hard fans - the bane of the existence of every hard working and overwhelmed developer ...

that is why one has to have a balanced approach towards a product and not invest too much time on it, this way if you feel disappointed you can move on to something else.

Of course, this attitude runs against the best interests of any developer, who wants to have (and nurture) as many die hard over-committed fans as possible, those are the ones that end up expending a lot of money on their products and they are the ones that keep their community alive.

tough isn't it ? but that is the way it is.

Paradaz #4304339 10/19/16 11:57 AM
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 196
D
(OC) Pythagoras
Member
(OC) Pythagoras
Member
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 196
Yes Tom I agree,
I do admire how Ssnake is upfront with tech discussion and how he deals with the forum. ED could learn a little here. Others can learn, such as me from his post. I forget sometimes these guy�s look after mil projects not all entertainment, accurate ballistics are more important most of the time here that can take up huge pc resources as Ssnake has stated in his post.

Last edited by David_OC; 10/19/16 12:01 PM.
Paradaz #4304343 10/19/16 12:12 PM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 14,410
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 14,410
if you are into tank warfare up to the point were windage and ballistics are of paramount importance, not to mention the effects of foliage in range parameters, you can get get quite annoyed by discrepancies of accuracy biggrin

personally I get annoyed by shoddy skin templates (that make my hobby difficult ) and by developers that forget to release templates (ED: "too busy with other things" ) or don't do it as a rule (Carenado) , in these cases I don't annoy them by asking for it too many times , I move on biggrin

As for ED , I guess they have had their fair share of problems to deal with and we, we are the witness of the resulting PR wreckage biggrin

nowadays, all I can contribute to the discussion is ... cat videos wink

Tom_Weiss #4304473 10/19/16 06:44 PM
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,082
-
Veteran
Veteran
- Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,082
Originally Posted By: David_OC
It is funny how we all occasionally have blinkers on in the matters that we feel attached to. I will be the first to admit here that others have frustrated me with their constant point of view for what every reason that has no real balance in my opinion.

Believe it or not, some of us do **NOT** have the blinkers on and would love to be proven wrong. PROVEN. Not "wrong in someone else's opinion."


Originally Posted By: David_OC
I really hope Troll is still going to stick around, as I find the guys such as Troll bring a different and good direction here, plus a state of mind to all the different subjects, I fine it would be a little unbalanced around here without him.

I hope Troll is enjoying his nice vacation and comes back with a level head. We're all here to enjoy a hobby, after all.


Originally Posted By: David_OC
I do admire how Ssnake is upfront with tech discussion and how he deals with the forum. ED could learn a little here.

ED could learn **A LOT** from others... or just hire a proper PR team to manage their customers. If ED "spoke" to the community more and used the whack-a-mole less, I'm sure the community will appreciate that and also adjust their expectations to suit. Just look at the BMS community as proof of this.


Originally Posted By: Tom_Weiss
personally I get annoyed by shoddy skin templates (that make my hobby difficult ) and by developers that forget to release templates (ED: "too busy with other things" ) or don't do it as a rule (Carenado) , in these cases I don't annoy them by asking for it too many times , I move on biggrin

Still waiting for you to "move on" to my side of the sim genre, Tom!! thumbsup

- Ice #4304478 10/19/16 07:04 PM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 14,410
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 14,410
Originally Posted By: - Ice


Originally Posted By: Tom_Weiss
personally I get annoyed by shoddy skin templates (that make my hobby difficult ) and by developers that forget to release templates (ED: "too busy with other things" ) or don't do it as a rule (Carenado) , in these cases I don't annoy them by asking for it too many times , I move on biggrin

Still waiting for you to "move on" to my side of the sim genre, Tom!! thumbsup


wink smile

Paradaz #4307290 10/29/16 08:58 AM
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 3,922
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 3,922
So the latest newsletter states ED still have features to finish off and add into the 2.5 'merged build'.

With just 8 weeks to go before year end do we think ED will manage to release on time and within 2016 as intended throughout the year? I certainly have my doubts.

I'd liked to have thought that given the amount of delay already it would be feature complete by now and they would be bug fixing and testing right now before the preparation starts for the release itself.

Also, if there are still features to add and depending on what they of course it still doesn't give much time for the third parties to run their final testing with the public release build surely!

All these lovely campaigns will need thorough testing for the 2.5 builds too which was an early concern but I'm sure ED will leave this to the respective campaign author to fix.

twoweeks


On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
Paradaz #4307330 10/29/16 04:21 PM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,943
N
Member
Member
N Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,943
This should cheer you up Para......

Quote:
Q: As I understand, there will be no F/A-18 this year?
A: No, there's still work for at least a year.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2937019&postcount=2049

Quote:
Q: And a plan for the DCS 2.5 release in 2016?
A: No, not this year. There will be a big Nevada update and early access for Normandy.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2937016&postcount=2047

Quote:
Q: I remember last year developers saying the 2016 will be the "year of aircraft carriers". We're almost in November, so anything changed about that?
A: Yes, changed. Carriers are postponed.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2937014&postcount=2046

Nate

Paradaz #4307335 10/29/16 04:45 PM
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 797
L
Member
Member
L Offline
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 797
Jeez Nate take the p1ss much ?

Linking to threads in Derka Derka



Ferengi Rule of acquisition #1 Once you have their money ... never give it back.

Paradaz #4307339 10/29/16 04:52 PM
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,082
-
Veteran
Veteran
- Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,082
Did you mean the newsletter from yesterday (Oct. 28)?

Again, let me remind you that March 2017 is still technically 2016 in the ED calendar so we're looking at April/May 2017 at the earliest. biggrin With regards to the work needed to be done regarding the F/A-18, I wonder why the model is complete but the avionics are still being coded. I'm guessing the model builders got way of a head start from the coders? Is this another sign that they need more coders and less modellers?

At least it's nice to see that ED are now admitting that stuff is delayed/postponed, even though it takes an "interview" to take it out of them.

Q: I remember last year developers saying the 2016 will be the "year of aircraft carriers". We're almost in November, so anything changed about that?
A: Yes, changed. Carriers are postponed.


Q: I remember last year developers saying the 2017 will be the "year of aircraft carriers". We're almost in November, so anything changed about that?
A: Yes, changed. Carriers are postponed.


Q: I remember last year developers saying the 2018 will be the "year of aircraft carriers". We're almost in November, so anything changed about that?
A: Yes, changed. Carriers are postponed.


biggrin

As they say, everything is subject to change. Yes, even the plans they make themselves and the deadlines they set upon themselves. "Oh, we can't deliver this on time? No sweat, we'll just change the release date again."

Paradaz #4307347 10/29/16 05:45 PM
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 797
L
Member
Member
L Offline
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 797
They couldn't hit a fecking barn door with a sawn off shotgun at point blank range if it was a release date



Ferengi Rule of acquisition #1 Once you have their money ... never give it back.

Nate #4307353 10/29/16 06:13 PM
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 3,922
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 3,922
Originally Posted By: Nate
This should cheer you up Para......

Quote:
Q: As I understand, there will be no F/A-18 this year?
A: No, there's still work for at least a year.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2937019&postcount=2049

Quote:
Q: And a plan for the DCS 2.5 release in 2016?
A: No, not this year. There will be a big Nevada update and early access for Normandy.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2937016&postcount=2047

Quote:
Q: I remember last year developers saying the 2016 will be the "year of aircraft carriers". We're almost in November, so anything changed about that?
A: Yes, changed. Carriers are postponed.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2937014&postcount=2046

Nate


Oh just brilliant. I thought you were being sarcastic with the answers for a minute and linking to the russian part of the site to mask the real answers.

So yet again, ED fail to meet another of their intended release dates....a release that has already been pushed back several times. I'm disappointed but not in the slightest bit surprised. It also goes to show ED have not learned anything from their previous issues with regards estimating and communication with customers.

Last edited by Paradaz; 10/29/16 06:24 PM.

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
Paradaz #4307355 10/29/16 06:21 PM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,943
N
Member
Member
N Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,943
Originally Posted By: Paradaz


Oh just brilliant. I thought you were being sarcastic with the answers for a minute and linking to the russian part of the site to mask the real answers.

So yet again, ED fail to meet another of their intended release dates....a release that has already been pushed back several times. I'm disappointed but not in the slightest bit surprised. It also goes to show ED have not learned anything from their previous issues with regards estimating and communication with customers.


I knew you'd be pleased.

Nate

Nate #4307356 10/29/16 06:27 PM
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 3,922
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 3,922
Originally Posted By: Nate


I knew you'd be pleased.

Nate


Oh, totally overjoyed. It's beyond farcical now.

On a complete tangent, the last newsletter (28th October) mentioned a 60% discount on various products, there are no discounts showing for any of the products mentioned on the english section of the e-shop - any ideas? I might make use of the next 12 months of delays by learning the A10C and the basic flight training campaign is on the list.


On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,082
-
Veteran
Veteran
- Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,082
If I understand it correctly, you can use your bonus points or whatever it's called now to pay for up to 60% of the cost of a new product. So it's technically not a sale or a discount, you're just allowed to use more points than normal (IIRC, it was 30%?)....



Originally Posted By: leaf_on_the_wind
They couldn't hit a fecking barn door with a sawn off shotgun at point blank range if it was a release date

That's a gem right there! biggrin

Paradaz #4307363 10/29/16 06:44 PM
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 3,922
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 3,922
Ah ok, the same old chestnut we've discussed previously


On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
Paradaz #4307724 10/31/16 02:40 PM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 49,716
J
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 49,716
Feature Creep Strikes Again

My least favorite sequel.

For every feature integrated they find two more they want to put in. So they postpone the release to do so. I thought that was what interim builds were for (eg 2.5.1 or 2.6)?




The Jedi Master


The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
Jedi Master #4307737 10/31/16 02:54 PM
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 30
M
Junior Member
Junior Member
M Offline
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 30
Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
Feature Creep Strikes Again

BINGO AMIGO!!

Jedi Master #4307826 10/31/16 08:04 PM
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,042
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,042
Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
Feature Creep Strikes Again


Agreed. It must make the people doing the code absolutely nuts.

Pick a goal, reach it, then move on to the next goal.


ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
Page 42 of 54 1 2 … 40 41 42 43 44 … 53 54

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
September 15th Battle of Britain Day.
by RedToo - 09/15/26 08:06 PM
Population Patterns
by PanzerMeyer - 09/15/26 03:43 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,071,129 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1