SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 54 1 2 … 10 11 12 13 14 … 53 54
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 14,410
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 14,410
you can buy a skin from me - I'll provide regular patches

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 47
Z
Junior Member
Junior Member
Z Offline
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 47
Originally Posted By: Tom_Weiss
you can buy a skin from me - I'll provide regular patches

You're selling patches of skin ?!!
Gross...!
biggrin

Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 378
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 378
Originally Posted By: Winfield
ED must be the first developer to put forward community made mods and sell them off as DLC. I can't think of any other developer who has taken user made mods and sell them as DLC.


Donno who might have been the first to do it but contributing to games and getting compensated is becoming more common. Generally its been limited to cosmetics in games like TF2 or Planetside 2. But there are instances of more complex works being implemented, again TF2 is an example with maps. It is overall very much a gray area with no solid consensus on what the best approach is. I seem to recall Skyrim had a bit of a kerfuffle over introducing a payware mod system. I think a problem with that was it wasn't exactly curated and it was 100% community driven. It resulted in people stealing mods to try and get a profit and I think in a few cases there were free mods rendered useless because of another mod it depended on became payware.


Originally Posted By: Johnny_Redd
Also what happens to ones purchase of an aircraft skin when the 3D model is changed as happened with the sabre. Does the modder have an obligation to distribute updated textures to those that purchased in the past? Are the modders, who charge for their products, kept in the loop of what is happening behind the scenes of development? It all seems rather risky for the customer and leaves the modder at the mercy of the community.


Payware liveries doesn't seem to be a thing yet. It'd be a bit of a waste considering we can't change them in MP nor show it off since it would be clientside anyways. Suffice to say its not something I think should exist. Though private commissions for a livery would probably be ok, just not fully sanctioned DLC. If it did exist I wouldn't be shocked if payware liveries wouldn't be allowed for a model until development on it has "stabilized" to the point where changes wouldn't be likely.

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 14,410
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 14,410
Originally Posted By: Zoomie13
Originally Posted By: Tom_Weiss
you can buy a skin from me - I'll provide regular patches

You're selling patches of skin ?!!
Gross...!
biggrin


yes - you will be able to count on me, after you buy a skin, to patch if needed.

I know that what I post sometimes sound like I am joking, because most of the time I am ...

but in this case I am not.



Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 7,375
Likes: 1
S
Hotshot
Hotshot
S Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 7,375
Likes: 1
No more freeware skins? frown


-Sir in case of retreat, were we have to retreat??
-To the Graveyard!!

sandbagger.uk.com/stratos.html
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 14,410
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 14,410
wink

the way things are going, I doubt it - you will see, the moment that new map is announced most mod makers will have their "Aha !!!" moment , really, Eagle Dynamics is monetizing their products, we will pay now for every little thing : how long before a "Python 4" payware mod ? or a Desert Storm skin pack ??? or payware a high res skin pack for the Su-... ???

I'll continue releasing my skins for free and LOF will always be free , but if this trend goes the way I believe it will, how long I'll be able to continue ???


Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 585
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 585
Tom, This is one of the reasons I love WOFF. Also has great support, a fantastic AI, and all backed up buy
several very nice and helpfull members.

Flying in WW1 is old style "one v one" ,get close and know your plane and the other guy.


Origin made- silverstone case,ASUS Max VI Extreme , CPU intel Core i7 4770k, cooling asotex 570LC, NVIDA 3G GTX 780 Ti , Mem 16GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3 ,game drive 120GB INTEL X25 SS, OS drive 1TB, Win 7 home Prem.Logitech G105 key board,BenQ XL2430 Gaming Monitor.
All pilots owe me a beer. Retired USAF Rescue/Survival, Special Forces, and MI (after I got old and grey).
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 14,410
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 14,410
Originally Posted By: CW3SF


Flying in WW1 is old style "one v one" ,get close and know your plane and the other guy.


WWI & WWII dogfighting is a lot of fun smile



Originally Posted By: CW3SF
Tom, This is one of the reasons I love WOFF. Also has great support, a fantastic AI, and all backed up buy several very nice and helpfull members.


which is what makes flight sims such fun - and to me : our community is all about sharing work for free.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 122
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 122
Originally Posted By: Johnny_Redd
Does paying for a texture DLC mean we're headed in a new file structure direction? It's not hard to change ground textures and once they're in the public domain it's not that hard to distribute them to whoever wants them for free. I'm not advocating piracy but I can't see anyway of stopping it with the current file structure.


It is the same situation in FSX. The file structure is completely open, with no build in copy protection. Users can access everything, yet 3rd parties can still sell their stuff successfully despite piracy.

Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,572
L
Senior Member
Senior Member
L Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,572
Originally Posted By: Sobek


But the question still stands. Do you love working your ass off and getting nothing in return?

Head over to the LOF website. You'll see how many of us have worked our ass off. Get nothing in return? Thanks from the community is all that mattered to me. I did it because I loved what I was doing. I've also fed people who were homeless and hungry. Nothing in that for me at all, right?

Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 623
S
Professional scapegoat
Member
Professional scapegoat
Member
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 623
Originally Posted By: LOF_Rugg
Head over to the LOF website. You'll see how many of us have worked our ass off. Get nothing in return? Thanks from the community is all that mattered to me. I did it because I loved what I was doing. I've also fed people who were homeless and hungry. Nothing in that for me at all, right?


Hooray for you. I too spent lots of my free time in service to the flight sim community. Still, how does that entitle me or you to tell somebody else he has to work for free?

Last edited by Sobek; 04/11/16 05:16 AM.
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 14,410
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 14,410
Originally Posted By: LOF_Rugg
Originally Posted By: Sobek


But the question still stands. Do you love working your ass off and getting nothing in return?

Head over to the LOF website. You'll see how many of us have worked our ass off. Get nothing in return? Thanks from the community is all that mattered to me. I did it because I loved what I was doing. I've also fed people who were homeless and hungry. Nothing in that for me at all, right?



and you have been doing it for over 10 or 12 years ...

what we did - and still do, and will continue to do for P3D will increasingly become more and more difficult to continue doing in DCS as more people gravitate towards payware, soon, people will begin asking why you are releasing freeware while others try to earn some money out of their mods.

I dont mind earning money out of my work - but it is bad when it becomes the new normal in our hobby.

Of course - if you price it reasonably people wont mind.

Which is not the case in DCS, DCS is already one of the most expensive flight sim products around.

That is the way things are, no use rebelling against it.

Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,572
L
Senior Member
Senior Member
L Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,572
Originally Posted By: Sobek
Hooray for you.

Wow, bitter much?

Quote:
I too spent lots of my free time in service to the flight sim community. Still, how does that entitle me or you to tell somebody else he has to work for free?

Where was I telling anyone he had to work for free? Are you having those conversations in your head again?

I was merely commenting that some people don't mind spending their free time doing things for the community. It's a shame that once in a while a bitter angry person responds to that with "Hooray for you". I hope that attitude doesn't stop someone who is doing something for free. That attitude is counter productive and of course it's expected from some of the community members who are "supporters" (notice I didn't say fanboi?).

Last edited by LOF_Rugg; 04/11/16 11:38 AM.
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,342
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,342
Originally Posted By: Tom_Weiss

I dont mind earning money out of my work - but it is bad when it becomes the new normal in our hobby.

Of course - if you price it reasonably people wont mind.

Which is not the case in DCS, DCS is already one of the most expensive flight sim products around.

That is the way things are, no use rebelling against it.


Certainly, it is the 3rd most expensive sim behind FSX and X plane (4th if you count p3d), which sims you defend while they do exactly the same thing DCS does.

Last edited by Remon; 04/11/16 01:45 PM.
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 14,410
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 14,410
Remon, feel free to disagree with my opinions.

thanks for your input.

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,042
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,042
Originally Posted By: Remon
Originally Posted By: Tom_Weiss

I dont mind earning money out of my work - but it is bad when it becomes the new normal in our hobby.

Of course - if you price it reasonably people wont mind.

Which is not the case in DCS, DCS is already one of the most expensive flight sim products around.

That is the way things are, no use rebelling against it.


Certainly, it is the 3rd most expensive sim behind FSX and X plane (4th if you count p3d), which sims you defend while they do exactly the same thing DCS does.


Obviously, you have never looked at train sims.


ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 110
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 110
Originally Posted By: Remon
Originally Posted By: Tom_Weiss

I dont mind earning money out of my work - but it is bad when it becomes the new normal in our hobby.

Of course - if you price it reasonably people wont mind.

Which is not the case in DCS, DCS is already one of the most expensive flight sim products around.

That is the way things are, no use rebelling against it.


Certainly, it is the 3rd most expensive sim behind FSX and X plane (4th if you count p3d), which sims you defend while they do exactly the same thing DCS does.

I agree...bonus if payed DLC attracts talented 3rd party devs like orbx to DCS.

My main concern is first that not owning a DLC will stop me from using already owned content, witch I'm pretty confident won't happen. The other concern is Ed locking out people that want to mod and continue to give out thier work for free.

Last edited by amnwrx; 04/11/16 03:11 PM.
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 772
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 772
Look at the debacles of veao and avio. Those two third parties have struggled to keep up with the development of DCS and have continually failed to update their products citing ED as the problem. These two developers should be privy to the development of the core sim yet fail. Now we are to have community modders charging for DLC! With no knowledge of what changes are in the pipeline? Imagine a community modder like Tom whose has produced a lot for the community. 1 change in the core sim could mean he has to change everything he has produced. That is a lot of work to do for an unforgiving community.
Citing FSX and P3D as an example, FSX has a finished core, P3D has not. A lot of FSX developers do not produce as much for P3D or update their core as a priority purely because P3D is still a work in progress. The core is updating frequently and third parties simply do not prioritize P3D updates.
The problem with DCS is that it is a work in progress with a tagline "everything is subject to change". Who in their right mind is going to pay for community modded content when that content may very well be unusable after the next patch/update.


DCS Kickstarter
Wags July 2014 "In this July 2014 update, the primary news is in regards to the restructured backer rewards. After a careful review of the older system under RRG, we found it financially unattainable."
Wags October 2017 "the investment vs. generated revenue has been excellent for the World War II aircraft. In fact, the P-51D Mustang has twice the cost effectiveness of the A-10C Warthog."
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 772
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 772
Originally Posted By: Troll
Originally Posted By: Johnny_Redd

Citing FSX and P3D as an example, FSX has a finished core, P3D has not.


This is true, but one must also acknowledge that while FSX is finished, or reached it's end of development, it's buggy, and it won't evolve with new hardware. P3D is continually fixed and improved, and takes advantage of new hardware and new API's.
Yes, this must be troublesome for modders, I get that, but I'll take the continously improved sim over the finished and buggy one, any day.
Now, if modders start to charge for their work, they should set a end of development for their mod, like "compatible with v. 2.0-2.5. But this, of course, means that the core developer must have a roadmap for their software.

A core developer may well set out a roadmap and everything may look grand in the grand scheme of things. Post the roadmap on their fabulous forums but they then state "everything is subject to change". That puts a community modder in a sticky situation if they plan to charge for their mods. There is zero knowledge their mod will be compatible in the future. There is zero guarantee for the customer that their purchase will have a long lifespan. There will be no help from the core developers as they have no contract with the modder. For a finished product there would be no problem, for a work in progress I see nothing but a recipe for disaster for the modder. Modders breath life into communities, produce what the core developers don't. I see a lot of trouble for them with this new direction.
Also why keep the SDK from the community in general, citing not wanting unsatisfactory content to spoil the great work of third parties, then allow paid for DLC? It's a little bit weird don't you think?


DCS Kickstarter
Wags July 2014 "In this July 2014 update, the primary news is in regards to the restructured backer rewards. After a careful review of the older system under RRG, we found it financially unattainable."
Wags October 2017 "the investment vs. generated revenue has been excellent for the World War II aircraft. In fact, the P-51D Mustang has twice the cost effectiveness of the A-10C Warthog."
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,497
Likes: 36
F
I'm just a
Senior Member
I'm just a
Senior Member
F Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,497
Likes: 36
Just out of curiosity...does anyone know what ED's percentage is on DLC from community modders?

I see the campaign comes with 3 activations...I imagine ED has to be getting something for adding the DRM to it. I'm not too stoked on having to worry about activations on a campaign now. I think the whole "activation" method is a little archaic at this point. This is something that I think Rise of Flight handled pretty well. As long as you log in with your credentials...it knows what you have purchased and what you haven't...pretty painless.


Asus TUF Z790 DDR5 plus Wifi
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Intel I7 14700k
32gb Ripjaws DDR5 @6000MHz
Nividia 5060 TI OC 16gb
2 NVMe and various Sata SSD drives 6tb
1200watt Seasonic Vertex PSU
______________________________________________________

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"



Page 12 of 54 1 2 … 10 11 12 13 14 … 53 54

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
September 15th Battle of Britain Day.
by RedToo - 09/15/26 08:06 PM
Population Patterns
by PanzerMeyer - 09/15/26 03:43 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,075,208 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1