SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 10 1 2 … 7 8 9 10
Plainsman #4047952 12/09/14 09:29 AM
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,010
P
PV1 Offline
sometime mudslinger
Senior Member
sometime mudslinger
Senior Member
P Offline
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,010
Originally Posted By: Plainsman

As far as Interstellar goes, the main problem with it that can't be excused by saying it is science FICTION (which it is) is the piss poor dialogue. A first year film student couldn't write dialogue as "on the nose" as some of the dialogue in that movie. It just shows that any script can get greenlighted if it contains a salable story, no matter how poor the dialogue.

This is a new meaning for "on the nose" for me.
That used to mean exactly right.

Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

Chaz #4047977 12/09/14 11:57 AM
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
"On the nose" in the context used by Plainsman refers to dialogue that is contrived and uses too much exposition.

While overall I did enjoy the film I did feel that at times it was trying too hard.


Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 12/09/14 06:36 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Chaz #4048165 12/09/14 06:32 PM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 49,716
J
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 49,716
I think they were too worried about confusing the audience.



The Jedi Master


The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,581
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,581
Originally Posted By: AWL_Spinner
I really liked Battleship. Yes, obviously a fun cheesy actioner but it hit ALL the right fun cheesy action buttons.

Good humour, decent cast chemistry, good effects, fun script.

Liked it way better than others of its ilk.




I loved Battleship. I can watch it anytime.
It was built to be a purely fun and entertaining movie. The way they included actual servicemen, vets, even Ray Mabus has a cameo (former gov of MS, now Secretary of the Navy).
Good humor, action, effects, likable actors and non-actors throughout the movie. Wide open for a sequel, I hope it happens. Doubt it will though. It would be hard to recreate what made this one fun though.


·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
Originally Posted By: Raw Kryptonite
Wide open for a sequel, I hope it happens. Doubt it will though. It would be hard to recreate what made this one fun though.


The sequel won't happen because the film lost a ton of money at the box office.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 49,716
J
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 49,716
Originally Posted By: Raw Kryptonite
Originally Posted By: AWL_Spinner
I really liked Battleship. Yes, obviously a fun cheesy actioner but it hit ALL the right fun cheesy action buttons.

Good humour, decent cast chemistry, good effects, fun script.

Liked it way better than others of its ilk.




I loved Battleship. I can watch it anytime.
It was built to be a purely fun and entertaining movie. The way they included actual servicemen, vets, even Ray Mabus has a cameo (former gov of MS, now Secretary of the Navy).
Good humor, action, effects, likable actors and non-actors throughout the movie. Wide open for a sequel, I hope it happens. Doubt it will though. It would be hard to recreate what made this one fun though.


Meh. I saw it once and have no desire to see it again. I just didn't find the characters as compelling as I thought they needed to be. I also thought the game tie-in sequence was a bit overly contrived. Like Doom's FPS sequence but less interesting.

I admit I'm impatient to see a Transformers film not done by Bay, though.



The Jedi Master


The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
Originally Posted By: Jedi Master

I admit I'm impatient to see a Transformers film not done by Bay, though.



The Jedi Master
Agreed. Tyler Perry should direct the next one.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Chaz #4048282 12/09/14 08:39 PM
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 8,700
P
Hotshot
Hotshot
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 8,700
Do we have a barf smilie?


Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
Chaz #4048322 12/09/14 10:11 PM
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,581
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,581


·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
Chaz #4048444 12/10/14 06:39 AM
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,010
P
PV1 Offline
sometime mudslinger
Senior Member
sometime mudslinger
Senior Member
P Offline
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,010
You need to re-edit that gif to set the white
space of the frames to alpha transparency.

Chaz #4048446 12/10/14 07:08 AM
Joined: Dec 1999
Posts: 7,747
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot
Joined: Dec 1999
Posts: 7,747
...or maybe it's your browser; here it renders perfectly fine.

Chaz #4048547 12/10/14 02:46 PM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 49,716
J
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 49,716
Tyler Perry's Madea of Extinction.



The Jedi Master


The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
Ssnake #4049008 12/11/14 08:51 AM
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,010
P
PV1 Offline
sometime mudslinger
Senior Member
sometime mudslinger
Senior Member
P Offline
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,010
Originally Posted By: Ssnake
...or maybe it's your browser; here it renders perfectly fine.

Without a white box around it?

Chaz #4049024 12/11/14 10:13 AM
Joined: Dec 1999
Posts: 7,747
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot
Joined: Dec 1999
Posts: 7,747
Without a white box around it.

Chaz #4049178 12/11/14 04:37 PM
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 11,188
Likes: 37
A
Veteran
Veteran
A Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 11,188
Likes: 37
Works fine here too, on both Chrome and IE8.


Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

Chaz #4050202 12/13/14 11:28 PM
Joined: Dec 1999
Posts: 6,779
E
XBL: LanceHawkins
Hotshot
XBL: LanceHawkins
Hotshot
E Offline
Joined: Dec 1999
Posts: 6,779
I just got around to seeing Interstellar. Hands down the best Science Fiction movies in decades and in my book two steps above 2001 (a movie I never manage to enjoy).

Everything about it was great. The science, the effects, the plot, the music, the dialogue, the acting.

I found no fault in the dialogue being "flat" or anything. It was also nice seeing some actors in roles where they could, well, act and not just play a stereotype. I had to look it to make it was actually Matt Damon in the movie - he's totally different with a couple extra pounds on and when speaking like an academic.

Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 3,814
P
Senior Member
Senior Member
P Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 3,814
Originally Posted By: EAF331 MadDog
I just got around to seeing Interstellar. Hands down the best Science Fiction movies in decades and in my book two steps above 2001 (a movie I never manage to enjoy).

Everything about it was great. The science, the effects, the plot, the music, the dialogue, the acting.

I found no fault in the dialogue being "flat" or anything. It was also nice seeing some actors in roles where they could, well, act and not just play a stereotype. I had to look it to make it was actually Matt Damon in the movie - he's totally different with a couple extra pounds on and when speaking like an academic.



You haven't seen many science fiction movies if this was one of your best. I saw Interstellar today, too. Caught the first show at 11 am. It was OKAY. I don't want a refund, but it wasn't a great movie by any measure. Even science fiction needs to contain some level of "believeability." The ending --actually the last 20 minutes or so-- was laughable. A bunch of nonsensical crap. Once the main character separated from the lady co-pilot next to Gargantua, the director decided he would try to outdo Stanley Kubrick with a lot of metaphysical nonsense.

The film also had way too many holes. I will concede there wasn't as much "on the nose" amateurish dialogue as one reviewer led me to believe, but I didn't expect the crap near the end. None of the reviews that I read mentioned it at all. They left it to moviegoers to be shocked by it and make up their own minds. For me, a believeable plot turned to crap with that nonsense.

Last edited by Plainsman; 12/14/14 12:00 AM.

Acer: XB 280HK 28" 3840 X 2160, 1ms, w/Nvidia GSync
Corsair: White Graphite 760T Full Tower
Corsair: 16GB Vengeance LPX 2800MHz RAM
Corsair: SP2500 2.1 Gaming Speaker System
INTEL: Six-Core, i7 5820K CPU @4.2Hz
ASUS RTX OC 2080
Logitech 920 Wheel and Pedal System with Wheel Stand Pro
Saitek Pro Flight Control System with Wheel Stand Pro
Saitek X55 HOTAS
XBOX One S
Track IR5

Chaz #4050223 12/14/14 12:20 AM
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
Regardless of what one may think about the film, I think there's one thing that all of us can agree on and that's that "Interstellar" is not a conventional by the numbers Hollywood production. It took risks.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Plainsman #4050227 12/14/14 12:27 AM
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 11,188
Likes: 37
A
Veteran
Veteran
A Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 11,188
Likes: 37
Originally Posted By: Plainsman
...I saw Interstellar today, too. Caught the first show at 11 am. It was OKAY. I don't want a refund, but it wasn't a great movie by any measure. Even science fiction needs to contain some level of "believeability." The ending --actually the last 20 minutes or so-- was laughable. A bunch of nonsensical crap. Once the main character separated from the lady co-pilot next to Gargantua, the director decided he would try to outdo Stanley Kubrick with a lot of metaphysical nonsense.

The film also had way too many holes. I will concede there wasn't as much "on the nose" amateurish dialogue as one reviewer led me to believe, but I didn't expect the crap near the end. None of the reviews that I read mentioned it at all. They left it to moviegoers to be shocked by it and make up their own minds. For me, a believeable plot turned to crap with that nonsense.

Sounds like you and I have almost the exact same view of it. Not terrible, but not really good either, and it fell apart for me in the same place as you.

And yes, PM, I will say that at least it wasn't as formulaic as most Hollywood movies are these days.


Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

Plainsman #4050318 12/14/14 09:46 AM
Joined: Dec 1999
Posts: 6,779
E
XBL: LanceHawkins
Hotshot
XBL: LanceHawkins
Hotshot
E Offline
Joined: Dec 1999
Posts: 6,779
Originally Posted By: Plainsman
Originally Posted By: EAF331 MadDog
I just got around to seeing Interstellar. Hands down the best Science Fiction movies in decades and in my book two steps above 2001 (a movie I never manage to enjoy).

Everything about it was great. The science, the effects, the plot, the music, the dialogue, the acting.

I found no fault in the dialogue being "flat" or anything. It was also nice seeing some actors in roles where they could, well, act and not just play a stereotype. I had to look it to make it was actually Matt Damon in the movie - he's totally different with a couple extra pounds on and when speaking like an academic.



You haven't seen many science fiction movies if this was one of your best. I saw Interstellar today, too. Caught the first show at 11 am. It was OKAY. I don't want a refund, but it wasn't a great movie by any measure. Even science fiction needs to contain some level of "believeability." The ending --actually the last 20 minutes or so-- was laughable. A bunch of nonsensical crap. Once the main character separated from the lady co-pilot next to Gargantua, the director decided he would try to outdo Stanley Kubrick with a lot of metaphysical nonsense.

The film also had way too many holes. I will concede there wasn't as much "on the nose" amateurish dialogue as one reviewer led me to believe, but I didn't expect the crap near the end. None of the reviews that I read mentioned it at all. They left it to moviegoers to be shocked by it and make up their own minds. For me, a believeable plot turned to crap with that nonsense.


Uhm, you have no idea what amount of sci-fi movies I have seen or not seen. Just because my opinion differs from yours it's no reason to be insulting.

As for the science - what you find unbelievable others find plausible. About all the astrophysic science in the movie is based on the works of professor Kip Thorne, recognized as an expert in the fields of gravitational physics and astrophysics. His demands to Christopher Nolan was that all the physics in the movie be based on science and scientific theory, which was met. You can read his bio here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kip_Thorne

Both my friends that I saw the movie with enjoy it very much, and share my view about it as one of the best science fiction movies made.

Page 9 of 10 1 2 … 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
September 15th Battle of Britain Day.
by RedToo - 09/15/26 08:06 PM
Population Patterns
by PanzerMeyer - 09/15/26 03:43 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,074,565 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1