SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4040183 11/24/14 01:15 PM
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
So I visited an IKEA store for the first time ever yesterday. Yeah, the girlfriend dragged me there but the experience wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The layout of the store was very different from what I'm used to and I got to learn a few Swedish words! smile
I've noticed that IKEA is similar to Apple in that both brands have a unique look and ethos to them which allows them to be differentiated from the competition.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 11/24/14 01:16 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

PanzerMeyer #4040205 11/24/14 02:10 PM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,244
F
Member
Member
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,244
Actualy I really like the place. I can't speak for the quality, but the aesthetic and the shop concept is excellent, I think.
Plus, I live in Japan so when I go there it is kind of nice to feel like I'm in a western place again. Same goes for CostCo - just seeing normal sized shopping trolleys and smelling Western laundry detergent (which is way more perfumed than Asian stuff) reminds me of home a bit.
Sad but true.

PanzerMeyer #4040222 11/24/14 02:27 PM
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,581
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,581
I've never seen one of their stores, but you hear references so often I kind of look forward to it one day.


·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
Raw Kryptonite #4040223 11/24/14 02:28 PM
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
Originally Posted By: Raw Kryptonite
I've never seen one of their stores, but you hear references so often I kind of look forward to it one day.


It definitely looks unique and not at all like your typical furniture store which in the US all seem to look the same.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 11/24/14 02:29 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
PanzerMeyer #4040229 11/24/14 02:38 PM
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 4,582
Likes: 39
Motorius Emeritus
Senior Member
Motorius Emeritus
Senior Member
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 4,582
Likes: 39
I've been evacuated from an IKEA here in the greater Copenhagen area. The PA system started blaring something about a code 9000 or something and went on and on until it got annoying. Then suddenly all customers were asked to leave the store and the immediate area around the store by the nearest and fastest exit possible, and if people were thinking about their kids in the common play area; not to worry, the kids had already been taken to the nearby McDonalds.

Apart from that exiting adventure which thankfully ended on a peaceful note, I really don't like their stores; you have to run through every friggin' department like pacman to get to where you want to be.


Jens C. Lindblad


Sent from my Desktop
PanzerMeyer #4040250 11/24/14 02:58 PM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 49,716
J
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 49,716
Never been to one. Been to a bunch of furniture stores over the years, though.

Anyone remember Levitz? "You'll love it at Levitz!" smile



The Jedi Master


The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
Jedi Master #4040251 11/24/14 02:59 PM
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
Originally Posted By: Jedi Master


Anyone remember Levitz? "You'll love it at Levitz!" smile



The Jedi Master
I think only people who lived in Florida would remember that place.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
PanzerMeyer #4040285 11/24/14 03:31 PM
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 8,771
Oberkriegkaboomf�hrer
Hotshot
Oberkriegkaboomf�hrer
Hotshot
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 8,771
My current dining room table, chairs and my bedroom cupboard plus some kitchen stuff are all from IKEA. I like that you can get modern furniture without spending a fortune on it, especially since I don't buy stuff like that to last a lifetime like my parent's generation did.


"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

PanzerMeyer #4040290 11/24/14 03:35 PM
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 19,794
A
Veteran
Veteran
A Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 19,794
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted By: Jedi Master


Anyone remember Levitz? "You'll love it at Levitz!" smile



The Jedi Master
I think only people who lived in Florida would remember that place.


I know there was at least one in the DFW area, I can remember that jingle from their TV ads!


WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
PanzerMeyer #4040295 11/24/14 03:40 PM
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
Speaking of furniture store jingles I think this one takes the cake. Lol


Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 11/24/14 03:40 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
PanzerMeyer #4040305 11/24/14 03:55 PM
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 3,814
P
Senior Member
Senior Member
P Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 3,814
IKEA stuff is cheap. I've went inside once and bought sh*t that fell apart. Never again.

As far as Levitz goes, they were big in the New York/New Jersey area where I grew up, which was not surprising given the ethnic demographics of that area.


Acer: XB 280HK 28" 3840 X 2160, 1ms, w/Nvidia GSync
Corsair: White Graphite 760T Full Tower
Corsair: 16GB Vengeance LPX 2800MHz RAM
Corsair: SP2500 2.1 Gaming Speaker System
INTEL: Six-Core, i7 5820K CPU @4.2Hz
ASUS RTX OC 2080
Logitech 920 Wheel and Pedal System with Wheel Stand Pro
Saitek Pro Flight Control System with Wheel Stand Pro
Saitek X55 HOTAS
XBOX One S
Track IR5

Plainsman #4040308 11/24/14 03:57 PM
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
Originally Posted By: Plainsman
As far as Levitz goes, they were big in the New York/New Jersey area where I grew up, which was not surprising given the ethnic demographics of that area.
Ah that explains their former presence in Florida then since I think half of everyone who was born in NY and NJ ended up living in Florida. lol


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Jedi Master #4040615 11/25/14 12:59 AM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,175
K
Member
Member
K Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,175
Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
Anyone remember Levitz? "You'll love it at Levitz!" smile

Unfortunately, I worked at a store from '87-'91 smile

PanzerMeyer #4040620 11/25/14 01:14 AM
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 19,381
newbie
Veteran
newbie
Veteran
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 19,381
Never had a problem with Ikea gear and the layout is definitely cool..don't eat the food though.


My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships


PanzerMeyer #4040664 11/25/14 03:11 AM
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 4,490
Likes: 46
R
Senior Member
Senior Member
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 4,490
Likes: 46

PanzerMeyer #4040676 11/25/14 03:27 AM
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 11,752
V
Veteran
Veteran
V Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 11,752
I've only been to IKEA once. I was a bit disappointed after all the hype.


"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

“One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” -Milton Friedman

Quem Deus vult perdere, prius dementat
PanzerMeyer #4040691 11/25/14 04:20 AM
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 556
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 556
I have some IKEA stuff, it's definitely held up better than anything I have gotten from a "furniture store" (other then Ikea)

They make great stuff imo, well priced to.

PanzerMeyer #4040707 11/25/14 04:59 AM
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,271
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,271
IKEA is the place to go in Shanghai on Sundays. Most peeps go there for the meat and fish balls.
And you get all these "underground" handymen waiting at the exit going "Hey? Oi?! I'll put your IKEA cupboard together quick and cheap..."

Cheers,
Slug


"Major Burns isn't saying much of anything, Sir. I think he's formulating the answer..." - Radar - M*A*S*H
McGonigle #4040709 11/25/14 05:07 AM
Joined: Dec 1999
Posts: 7,747
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot
Joined: Dec 1999
Posts: 7,747
Originally Posted By: McGonigle
Apart from that exiting adventure which thankfully ended on a peaceful note, I really don't like their stores; you have to run through every friggin' department like pacman to get to where you want to be.

Like in Mario games, there are shortcuts for the staff that aren't forbidden to cutomers, just a bit concealed. It is possible to do an IKEA run in less than half an hour if you know what you want nd where to find it. wink

PanzerMeyer #4040711 11/25/14 05:10 AM
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 13,787
P
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 13,787
"IKEA" is Swedish for, "Visa or American Express?"


"A little luck & a little government is necessary to get by, but only a fool places his complete trust in either one." - PJ O'Rourke

www.sixmanfootball.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
September 15th Battle of Britain Day.
by RedToo - 09/15/26 08:06 PM
Population Patterns
by PanzerMeyer - 09/15/26 03:43 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,074,855 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1