SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Hop To
Page 42 of 442 1 2 … 40 41 42 43 44 … 441 442
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
"The Hidden Fortress" by Akira Kurosawa. This was the film that inspired George Lucas to tell the story of Star Wars through the eyes of two bickering comedic characters.


edit: Changed "actors" to "characters".

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 06/04/14 12:48 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 49,716
J
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 49,716
Yes, Ricky Gervais and Will Smith. Quite entertaining.



The Jedi Master


The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,413
C
6079 Smith
Member
6079 Smith
Member
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,413
Jon Stewart from last night.

Probably the best show on television and the best use of free speech on the entirety of channels on the idiot box. thumbsup


Question everything!
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,866
S
Senior Member
Senior Member
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,866
The Simpsons Movie (2007)

I'd held off seeing this after the Simpsons post season 10 went from being one of the best animated shows to a complete pile of crap. But though 'why not, can't be that bad.' The movie is better than the awful recent episodes but still suffers from bad writing, unlikeable characters and general stupidity.
It wasn't all bad though, the jokes about the government were pretty good such as;

President Schwarzenegger
'I was elected to lead, not to read!'

The EPA
'I want roving death squads around the perimeter 24-7! I want 10,000 tough guys, and I want 10,000 soft guys to make the tough guys look tougher'

The NSA listening in on everyone's phone calls
'You hang up first. No you hang up first. Ok! She... she hung up on me'
'Hey everyone I found them! The government actually found someone we're looking for!'

Overall a pretty poor movie but there are definitely worse ways to spend 90 minutes. smile


This is Bobby Rahal, thanks for playing the trial version of Microsoft's CART Precision Racing
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
I still can't believe the Simpson's are still around after what? 25 seasons or so?


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 20,834
Lifer
Lifer
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 20,834
Neighbors (the movie) some funny spots and a lot more corny ones

Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,866
S
Senior Member
Senior Member
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,866
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
I still can't believe the Simpson's are still around after what? 25 seasons or so?


Considering the way their ratings have plummeted I don't think they'll be around for much longer. I think they've been running on merchandising for some time now.


This is Bobby Rahal, thanks for playing the trial version of Microsoft's CART Precision Racing
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,943
K
Hotshot
Hotshot
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,943
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
I still can't believe the Simpson's are still around after what? 25 seasons or so?



Depends on when you believe they were first on. They were originally commercial bumpers for the Tracy Ulman Show back in 87.

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
Originally Posted By: knightgames
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
I still can't believe the Simpson's are still around after what? 25 seasons or so?



Depends on when you believe they were first on. They were originally commercial bumpers for the Tracy Ulman Show back in 87.


The full-fledged series premiered in the Fall of 1989 which means the 25th season will be this Fall.

@ Security Device - I know the ratings have dropped a lot since a couple of years ago Fox renegotiated salary cuts with the voice cast.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,103
.
Member
Member
. Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,103
I just finished watching the "Firefly" series after reading about it here.
Damn! What an original and refreshing series! Really sucks they din't finish it.
The movie was good but didn't do the series justice IMO.

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
Just watched "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" tonight. Overall a really good film that manages to have lots of action as well as a smart script.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 11,752
V
Veteran
Veteran
V Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 11,752
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Just watched "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" tonight. Overall a really good film that manages to have lots of action as well as a smart script.


I saw this last night. I thought it was a good movie but felt slightly underwhelmed/disappointed following the film. I can't put my finger on why. Perhaps it was because Gary Oldman was underutilized?


"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

“One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” -Milton Friedman

Quem Deus vult perdere, prius dementat
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
Originally Posted By: Vertigo1
Perhaps it was because Gary Oldman was underutilized?
Yeah I felt that way too. I think it was because the main conflict was really between Caesar and Koba.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 49,716
J
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 49,716
I saw I, Frankenstein. That was also underwhelming. Nothing was really "wrong" that I can point to, but things just didn't come together properly. It was ultimately forgettable.



The Jedi Master


The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
Saw "Lucy" last night. I'm convinced that Luc Besson is the French version of John Woo.

I can see why Morgan Freeman was cast in the film. The role fitted perfectly with his reputation for being a great narrator. biggrin


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 27,044
Likes: 26
W
Lifer
Lifer
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 27,044
Likes: 26
Gilligan's Island.
I am am a "Me TV" junkie.


Wheels


Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,368
Likes: 19
C
Veteran
Veteran
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,368
Likes: 19
A Million Ways to Die in the West. I see it's not been getting very good reviews but I laughed so hard. Then again I am a Seth MacFarlane fan.


If you watch Jaws backwards, it's a heart warming story about a shark that spits out so many people that they have to open a beach.
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
Originally Posted By: Chucky
A Million Ways to Die in the West. I see it's not been getting very good reviews but I laughed so hard. Then again I am a Seth MacFarlane fan.


Yeah I didn't understand the bad reviews either. I thought it was a solid comedy.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,866
S
Senior Member
Senior Member
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,866
Something of a coincidence, wife dragged me to see A million Ways last night. I've never been a Seth fan and this movie didn't change my opinion. It was ok, made me chuckle a few times but to be honest the girls were the best part. wink

Also I'm about to watch Spaceballs for the millionth time, I think it might be Mel Brooks last good film. It's so stupid but I can't stop laughing!

Last edited by Security_Device_Enclosed; 08/22/14 10:44 AM.

This is Bobby Rahal, thanks for playing the trial version of Microsoft's CART Precision Racing
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
Did anyone catch the creepy dance by Giovanni Ribisi that he also did in "Ted"?


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Page 42 of 442 1 2 … 40 41 42 43 44 … 441 442

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
September 15th Battle of Britain Day.
by RedToo - 09/15/26 08:06 PM
Population Patterns
by PanzerMeyer - 09/15/26 03:43 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,070,863 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1