|
|
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,866
Senior Member
|
|
Senior Member
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,866 |
House of Wax (The new one not the Vincent Price one)
Huge pile of doo-doo. Not creepy, not scary, just bludgeons you the the stupid stick from start to finish. I'd give it 0/5 but they kill Paris Hilton and that's got to be worth at least one star.
This is Bobby Rahal, thanks for playing the trial version of Microsoft's CART Precision Racing
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,604
Senior Member
|
|
Senior Member
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,604 |
Yeah that was crap.
I only watched it because Elisha Cuthbert was in it.
I didn't watch if for Paris Hilton.
I hate that dumb spoiled woman who didn't do an honest week's work in her entire life to earn what she has!
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,866
Senior Member
|
|
Senior Member
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,866 |
Can't say I've ever watched a movie just because a certain actress was in it, I've avoided plenty of movies because of certain actors and directors though!
This is Bobby Rahal, thanks for playing the trial version of Microsoft's CART Precision Racing
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023 Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
|
|
Pro-Consul of Florida King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023 Likes: 66 |
Star Trek: The Motion Picture
It's nice to watch a sci-fi film once in a while that doesn't have to rely on endless and exaggerated action sequences.
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 192
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 192 |
Two recommendations: Prisoners, this movie is much more interesting than just another kidnapping, it reminded me of certain other movies but these were very good also. Zulu, this movie also surprised me on how good it was, the story ends up being so so but the characters are very interesting, it also has a similar plot point of a recent movie which I won't mention in order not to spoil it.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,604
Senior Member
|
|
Senior Member
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,604 |
I liked Prisoners.
I didn't know anything about the movie and my wife rented the DVD.
We were surprised by it.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 192
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 192 |
I liked Prisoners.
I didn't know anything about the movie and my wife rented the DVD.
We were surprised by it.
Yes it's very good, if you like this kind of movie I recommend this movie as well.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,604
Senior Member
|
|
Senior Member
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,604 |
This was one of my favorite movie when I was a kid.
It's also the only Streisand movie I'd seen from the 60's, 70's, and 80's that I like.
All of her other movies just scream chick flicks and will make any guy cringe just at the thought of having to sit through any of them.
The only reasons I had to watch them was because of my dates, along with all those awful Meryl Streep movies I had to endure in the 80's with a date.
Furthermore, Streisand looks horrible in those other films she was in, getting worse and worse in appearance with each movie.
She actually does looks cute and normal in this one.When wacky co-ed Judy Maxwell (Barbra Streisand, in the Katharine Hepburn part) spies nebbishy musicologist Howard Bannister (Ryan O'Neal in bespectacled Cary Grant mode) in a San Francisco hotel lobby, she decides that Howard and his precious igneous rocks are right up her alley.
It all leads to the accidental mix up of four identical plaid overnight bags and a series of increasingly wild and wacky situations. IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069495/Cast:Barbra Streisand ... Judy Maxwell Ryan O'Neal ... Howard Bannister Madeline Kahn ... Eunice Burns Kenneth Mars ... Hugh Simon Austin Pendleton ... Frederick Larrabee Michael Murphy ... Mr. Smith Director: Peter Bogdanovich My Rating: 5 out of 5
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023 Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
|
|
Pro-Consul of Florida King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023 Likes: 66 |
Any of you guys watching "Turn" besides me? This show is getting better with each successive episode.
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,943
Hotshot
|
|
Hotshot
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,943 |
Went to see Godzilla on Friday afternoon. The movie gets a C+.
The movie theatre gets and A. We decided to try a different theatre because the one we usually go to is such an insulting rip off. Where we went Friday has reserved seating with full sized electric lazy boy recliners. Plop your butt down. Put your feet up and your head back. Great for those chick flicks your gal makes you go see. Zzzzzzzzzz. Talk about comfort. There are 4 inch left and right arm rests on each seat. Popcorn and candy, while higher than I'd like to pay, is still cheaper. The admission was $8.50, where the other theatre is $10.50 with decent older stadium seating. ($11.50 and $15.75 respectively for evening shows) This is the second time we've gone to this theatre and both times we've not encountered heavy crowds (one night one afternoon) or misbehaved patrons.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,604
Senior Member
|
|
Senior Member
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,604 |
So Godzilla not good?
I was never a fan of the Japanese movies.
I found them cheesy.
But the preview for this one looked good especially when they used the soundtrack from 2001: A Space Odyssey.
I was going to run away from work today and go see it.
(I am the boss, I can do anything I want)
So I shouldn't and I should save my $6.50?
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023 Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
|
|
Pro-Consul of Florida King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023 Likes: 66 |
Godzilla made an absolute killing its opening weekend. It beat Spiderman 2's opening weekend and almost beat Captain America's opening weekend.
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,943
Hotshot
|
|
Hotshot
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,943 |
So Godzilla not good?
I was never a fan of the Japanese movies.
I found them cheesy.
But the preview for this one looked good especially when they used the soundtrack from 2001: A Space Odyssey.
I was going to run away from work today and go see it.
(I am the boss, I can do anything I want)
So I shouldn't and I should save my $6.50? {SPOILER}I wanted a Godzilla with the same tone as the original where he appears as a destructive force. Instead we get a superhero sans cape. They didn't give it a kiddie atmosphere like the mid sixties early seventies Toho flicks, but they did change the tone of the character. If they weren't going to go with what I expected, then they should have at least explored some of the themes, like nature's balance and man's destructive nature. Lip service was payed to them, but overall they weren't worth mentioning. {/SPOILER}Beginning third and last third were decent for what it was. The middle third dragged on. For $6.50 it might be an okay time waster. You're pretty discerning in your movie critiques so I don't think Godzilla will rate very well for you, Col.
Last edited by knightgames; 05/19/14 03:22 PM.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 11,752
Veteran
|
|
Veteran
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 11,752 |
knightgames: I have the same problem that you do. This would have been proper for a sequel to the reboot. This first movie should have established Godzilla as the major threat.
Last edited by Vertigo1; 05/19/14 06:30 PM.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx
“One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” -Milton Friedman
Quem Deus vult perdere, prius dementat
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 3,538
Senior Member
|
|
Senior Member
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 3,538 |
Agree with Vertigo1 and Knightgames. Saw it with too high expectations and fully expected a reboot of the 54 version. That is not this movie. Knightgames is spot on--more of a superhero movie.
"Save 'em the money. Hard times is coming" --Shemavon "Sam" Perperian (1900 - 2004)
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 9,248
%!#Stack Overflow#!% Hotshot
|
|
%!#Stack Overflow#!% Hotshot
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 9,248 |
I've caught a couple of episodes of "Person of Interest" recently. It was fun enough to make me record the series. The Harold Finch character is fun and very watchable, while Jim Caviezel chews the scenery.
It's a bit like Men in Black crossed with Minority Report and Enemy of the State.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,604
Senior Member
|
|
Senior Member
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,604 |
Godzilla (2014) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0831387/It started out well in the first act and then it turned into a standard Hollywood disaster movie. After the first act, you'd think you are watching The Day After Tomorrow or 2012. Plus the rest of the movie is so disjointed and the main actor just CONVENIENTLY keeps turning up everywhere. Wow! I didn't know you can put someone on a chopper and he can go from one side of the world to another side of the world in no time. Travel time from one place to another is easily 6-12 hours on a 777 or 757 or Airbus and he did it in no time on a chopper. Then there is the military subplot. Where's the firepower? Where are the Navy and Air Force and Army of the other countries and even of the U.S.? One carrier group? They (the producer and director and screenwriters) also could had amped up the military action but no, we get a few boots on the grounds with useless assault weapons and the occasional Javelin and LAW. Then the few military fire power machines that occasionally show up are not being put to full use. At least in the Japanese version of these Godzilla films, the humans in those films brought out everything in their military arsenal. Finally, for a movie that's supposedly about Godzilla, not only does Godzilla keeps disappearing, the story has bark and grown and no bite. The entire film felt real lackluster and by the final act, not only do you not care anymore or have lost interest, you will be looking at your watch over and over. 3/5
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023 Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
|
|
Pro-Consul of Florida King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023 Likes: 66 |
The studio is happy at least. Godzilla had a monster opening weekend.
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,604
Senior Member
|
|
Senior Member
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,604 |
The studio is happy at least. Godzilla had a monster opening weekend. Yes, almost $100 million? There are already talks of a sequel but it needs more BITE! This first one, Godzilla was a whimpering sissy reptile!
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023 Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
|
|
Pro-Consul of Florida King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023 Likes: 66 |
Yes, almost $100 million?
93 million in the US. It's the second highest grossing weekend at the box office after Captain America 2. Godzilla also did very well in the international box office.
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
|
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
|
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|