SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Smokin_Hole #3944820 04/26/14 11:01 AM
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,397
E
Member
Member
E Offline
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,397
I have started having more fun marking targets for shooters than I do shooting them myself. Finding the targets becomes the challenge- especially up that high.

I'm working on a mission right now that's a little more work for the JTAC / AFAC- so the shooters get a chance to just roll in and kill things... guys who want to hunt can hunt... those who like to shoot can shoot.

You mention the A-10 guys engaging at will from a distance and that's true... but certain missions are driven at making sure that each aircraft is able to focus on what it does best.

One of our regulars enjoyed flying the SU25/T as well... so I found what worked well was I could mark targets for him with smoke rockets... He'd take out the long range / radar threats... I could neutralize the close in defenses (I could find) with my standoff weapons and then he could get in and yank and bank all he wanted killing things at his leisure. I would then head in and hit anything that shot at him...

As for the immersion discussion on the ground- I agree with Yanagi... nothing kills it like watching a bunch of people drifting Tokyo style on their knees throughout the entirety of a firefight.

A substantially refined ground AI would be really nice but I understand it isn't that easy otherwise we'd already have a mod for it.

I think a big part of what makes some of the more successful missions is the voice recording... and yet it's a part I have yet to explore. OP Bactria had a great production- great sound effects and radio comms... and the software out there to produce such masterpieces is readily available... it's just a lot of time to commit to a production just to have an entire battalion of tanks stacked a kilometer high on top of a damaged bridge.

Sigh.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Smokin_Hole #3944834 04/26/14 12:04 PM
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 7,375
Likes: 1
S
Hotshot
Hotshot
S Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 7,375
Likes: 1
So is possible to record voices and make the sim play them (is possible to add text too?) as triggers?


-Sir in case of retreat, were we have to retreat??
-To the Graveyard!!

sandbagger.uk.com/stratos.html
Smokin_Hole #3944838 04/26/14 12:30 PM
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,397
E
Member
Member
E Offline
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,397
Yes to both- quite easily actually if you have the sounds made or have a file in mind.

Smokin_Hole #3944865 04/26/14 02:42 PM
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,111
W
Smooth Operator
Hotshot
Smooth Operator
Hotshot
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,111
How easy is it, Eno?

biggrin

Smokin_Hole #3944872 04/26/14 03:05 PM
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,111
W
Smooth Operator
Hotshot
Smooth Operator
Hotshot
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,111
I have a mission called Herky Jerk that has recorded voice files with a script for about 5 scenes. I made the recordings with some help from family -- on my iPhone. But I have never mixed them, haven't tried plus I'm so busy with regular mission editing/development.

If someone has audio mixing skills can you take my recordings and mix them?

A guy was going to help but he's dropped off... He said to record the voices and other sounds like jet noise for various a/c, and would be able to mix those and add in static for the radio transmissions, etc, and get the levels of the different elements blended in. He would be able to adjust those levels since the recordings are on different tracks.

As long as the mixed scene files are not too big then they should work well in the mission -- too big and that will lengthen the mission load time at the start.

You can add actions to play these files in the event triggers -- that is easy.


Anyone want to take a stab at the mixing? Heck -- here's the link to the recordings --
Herky Jerk Sound Files
Let me know if this ^^^ doesn't work...


WC

Smokin_Hole #3944957 04/26/14 07:21 PM
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 2,477
Air Dominance Project
Member
Air Dominance Project
Member
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 2,477
@WC,

Here are the A-10 files. Let me know if it's what you want and I can do the rest.

EDIT: I can amplify the voice a bit on some of them, but i wanted to make sure the concept was right before getting into the details.


-Home Fries

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
- Robert A. Heinlein

The average naval aviator, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy, and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

Smokin_Hole #3944968 04/26/14 08:01 PM
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,111
W
Smooth Operator
Hotshot
Smooth Operator
Hotshot
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,111
Thank you, HomeFries!

I sent you a PM with the mission so you can hear the sounds. They do seem to be good on the volume levels. Maybe the A-10C jet noise could be a little louder...

In one of the C-130 scenes there should be explosions in the engine track, and those should be heard.

The file sizes are great!

Thank you thank you!

WC

Smokin_Hole #3945280 04/27/14 03:12 PM
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,790
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,790
To be clear, the mum and baby scene was not suggested as a desired game feature. It was just part of the story my FO shared with me which left the following obvious impression: that war, like Soylent Green, is people.

Smokin_Hole #3945324 04/27/14 05:36 PM
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 599
F
Member
Member
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 599
Just to clear a misconception: In the early years, and probably even now, Military Academy graduates were/are allowed to be commissioned as officers in the other services as long as there were/are slots. There are folks that might not have been able to get a slot at West Point but were offered one in the Air Force and vice versa. Prior to graduation they applied to the service of their choice and got it.
A reduction-in-force such as the one being contemplated now could also give military folks an opening in a Reserve or National Guard unit if they did not want to lose the 12 or 15 prior service years or the chance to be in a military cockpit.
I would not doubt your FO in that.

Smokin_Hole #3945499 04/28/14 12:19 AM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 9,585
S
Sim Offline
Hotshot
Hotshot
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 9,585
To me it's very difficult to imagine someone going through the Zoo, going to Army basic - to training unit for helos to active unit for 64s and going to Iraq/Afghanistan. And then somehow going through AF pilot training again with 38 track into Hogs and again joining Afghanistan. Way too many red flags. Maybe 10% truth was involved.

Smokin_Hole #3945736 04/28/14 02:24 PM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 49,716
J
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 49,716
I think whenever you have a multitude of planes in a given mission people will gravitate in two directions:
To the planes they're most familiar with/best at
To the planes that are most effective

To balance a mission in such a way that the guy in the Su-25 (non-T) has stuff to do before the 50's and 10's blow it all up isn't easy. Unless you make ALL ground pounders Su-25s to force the issue, that is. But if you can kill 10 targets in 10 mins in an A-10C or only one in an Su-25, why take the Su-25 and get 2 kills while the A-10 takes out the rest of the attacking force alone? You feel useless. If you feel penalized when flying anything other than an A-10, why would you?

I don't know why the Russian jets in FC3 aren't that popular but I have two complementary theories there:

1. Western pilots fly on Western servers and prefer Western jets. The Ka-50 is flown only because there's no precision attack Western helo, but if there was an AH-1W or AH-64A the 50 would never be flown. The Russian jets get more attention on non-Western servers where English-speaking pilots aren't visiting.

2. Fatigue. Aside from some 3D model changes, flying the MiG-29 or Su-33 in FC3 is fundamentally the same as flying it in LOMAC, and how many hours have most of us already put into those planes? The F-15C has received some updates, plus it's the only Western AA fighter in DCS right now, so naturally it gets the lion share.


Personally I'm not in camp #1, I like the Russian birds just as much. In Il-2 I flew US, Brit, Japanese, German, Italian, I didn't care. I do find the stock 25 hard to be very effective in, though, so while it's ok in SP when I'm flying coop online I tend to ignore it in favor of a plane I can get more done with in less time so my wingmates don't take out the entire enemy army while I'm setting up pass #2!

But I am in #2. After hundreds of hours in the Su-27 going back to Flanker 1, I don't care to fly it too much right now because it's the same experience, just in slightly different terrain. I don't even fly the F-15C too much because it's still fairly the same and the missile and FM can irritate me.

So I fly the 25T, A-10A/C, and Ka-50 most of the time! smile



The Jedi Master


The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
Smokin_Hole #3946084 04/28/14 10:48 PM
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,790
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,790
So I looked into this individual a bit deeper and everything points to a legit and impressive profile. He has numerous LinkdIn endorsements on both the attack helo side and A10 side plus air safety among others. I feel a bit like an ass even looking into it given that the closest I've ever come to getting shot at was when a "friend" plinked me with a BB gun when I was ten.

Last edited by Smokin_Hole; 04/28/14 10:50 PM.
Smokin_Hole #3946146 04/29/14 12:58 AM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,893
G
Hotshot
Hotshot
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,893
Awesome smile

Don't feel bad, impostors happen.


--
44th VFW
Smokin_Hole #3946205 04/29/14 02:59 AM
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 599
F
Member
Member
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 599
Glad to hear that, SH.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
September 15th Battle of Britain Day.
by RedToo - 09/15/26 08:06 PM
Population Patterns
by PanzerMeyer - 09/15/26 03:43 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,070,610 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1