|
|
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 257
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 257 |
Well the Brandy may be a dog, but she is a stout one. If you think of her as a defensive weapon that patrols around low level bombing targets she takes a lot of damage and can give the enemy two seaters fits.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,343
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,343 |
OK, just to clarify--you guys can't get this thing to climb much over 1000 feet either????????????
WT_!
Skids are for kids!
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 788
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 788 |
I was confused, when I saw D.12 I thought it was W.12 as I'm used to the Pfalz DXII having roman numerals. So I was going on about another plane entirely.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 788
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 788 |
Definitely altitude throttle. Around 800 meters I had to bring on the altitude throttle a little, and slowly advance it as I climbed through 1500meters. By that point, I had altitude throttle full.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,343
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,343 |
So then I can assume someone "important" knows that there is a serious problem with an airplane engine that needs "altitude throttle" adjustments to get above a grand? 
Skids are for kids!
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 788
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 788 |
1000 meters, which is 3280 feet.
I'd assume that since it's made it this far without adjusting that it's correct.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,343
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,343 |
Yeah, thanks-I'm up with the metric system thanks to the @#$%* foreign aircraft we operate! I made it to about 1000 FEET and I gave up and went to my dentists appointment for a more entertaining morning. Can't believe this thing was such a total pig... 
Skids are for kids!
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 788
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 788 |
Hm, yeah, that's not right then. I was at 800 meters before I started engaging the altitude throttle.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,343
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,343 |
It just seems that having to use a "high altitude" throttle at a measley 2400 feet AGL seems kinda rediculous. Really doesn't make sense as it takes some friggin' power to get off the water............ You're a better man than I am Gunga Din---I gave up way before I got that high. Kind of a shame-the plane's a beaut.... 
Skids are for kids!
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 788
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 788 |
Now I am very confused. If you are taking off the water, then that's the Brandenburg W.12 which does not have an altitude throttle and is in fact a turd in the climbing department.
If you are talking about the small single seat fighter, that's the Pfalz DXII which does have ample power.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,343
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,343 |
Yes sir, you are and it's my fault!  I'm very familiar with the DXII Pfalz-I don't think they update it any more but I was listed as number 2 and number 4 flying the Pfalz DXII in the "Aircraft Type Rating" for careers and multi-player on the leader board at Rise Of Flight's site-it's a ride I'm very familiar with... I just looked at my earlier post and I see that I screwed up and typed D12 instead of W12. Regardless, the W12 is a total DOG! which is a shame because she's a nice looking bird... I ran the numbers so I guess it shouldn't be a surprise-287 fpm average to 1000 meters and 220 fpm average to 2000 meters. Yikes!!! 
Skids are for kids!
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 6,623
Hotshot
|
|
Hotshot
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 6,623 |
160hp, the same as a Cessna 172, weighs a ton and has those huge floats dragging along underneath. It's amazing it handles as well as it does.
WAS C2D 8500 3.16ghz, 285gtx 1gb, 4gig ram, XP NOW Win7 64, I5 2500K, SSD, 8Gig ram, GTX 570
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,471 Likes: 13
Hotshot
|
|
Hotshot
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,471 Likes: 13 |
I've just taken on a flight of Pups with a flight of W.12's.. I bagged two of the pups and my flight got the other one. Both sides set to 'veteran'. A dog? Well, that may be, but it had enough teeth to sort those Pups, and that's only the second time I've flown the thing. 
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,343
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,343 |
Well sir, I'll give you credit for your aviator skills but I have some questions......  How did you get it to climb-did you set it up with 10% fuel? Who bagged the Pups, the tail gunner or you? Did you start out at a pre-selected altitude? Were you starting at the same alt. or did you start with the advantage? If you were pursuing them, why couldn't they easily climb above you as the Pup climbs like an F-16 compared to the W12. They certainly should have been able to easily turn inside you. The plane turns OK for what it is, it just doesn't climb at all. An on another note-how the @%$#* did you get your wingmen to engage?????? After all this time I STILL haven't figured out how to get my wingmen (the R.E.M.F.s) to engage UNLESS I've shot the hell out of a target, turned it into a sitting duck, and run out of bullets!!! Man, then they are all over the enemy!!! 
Skids are for kids!
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,471 Likes: 13
Hotshot
|
|
Hotshot
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,471 Likes: 13 |
Yes, climbing is difficult I have to say. I played on the lake map, at a pre determined height. Had 55 percent fuel, and I bagged the pups, not the gunner. Didn't give any orders to the wingmen, they piled into the fight before I did. I must say, my aircraft did take some damage but held together (good girl), and like the Bristol Fighter, it's good to have a gunner to protect the rear while I'm fighting. (also when he is firing it indicates there is usualy someone behind).. Diving turns to escape, converting that speed to help me back up to altitude again, but like most dogfights, you eventualy get pretty low anyway. lol! yes, wingmen are a pain to get to engage sometimes, and as you said, unless you have already shot up a target and they are then desperate to get 'your' kill! In my campaign battles I've found that the best way to get them to engage is to give them the 'patrol air' command.. they will cut away briefly and then generaly get stuck into the fight. Also, in the briefing screen before the flight (in career mode) it's worth looking at the waypoints and checking to see if the flight is set to defensive or an offensive mode, and change it to suit.. (if you have a high enough rank) 
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,343
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,343 |
Thanks for the info T117-I'm the squadron commander in my careers so I'll look into the waypoint info and I'll try using the "patrol air" command. I just love it when I dive on 3 D-V's and my 3 wingmen merrily circle above me WAITING for a cripple to dive on while I'm in the process of saving my arse!!! Have to admit that I'll schedule solo flights quite a bit because the wingmen don't help and I can take my time finishing off the cripples. 
Skids are for kids!
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,471 Likes: 13
Hotshot
|
|
Hotshot
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,471 Likes: 13 |
Occasionally, I'll set one of my experienced pilots as flight leader and I will just accompany the flight at the rear, and if they bump into the enemy, I'll stay high and wait to pounce on enemy aeroplanes that are busy chasing one of my pilots down.. THIS, tactic sometimes allows me to finish off damaged enemy aeroplanes as well, so it works both ways! 
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
|
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
|
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|