SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,343
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,343
I have an o/c'd 5970 and an o/c'd i7 at around 3.9 gig with 12 gig of tri-channel memory.

The sim runs smooth as glass with 4X AA and 8X AF at 1920 X 1080 UNTIL I get on the water.

Everything in the sim is maxed out-what do I need to start cutting back to get better framerates on the water???


Skids are for kids!
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,343
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,343


This is my current setup.


Skids are for kids!
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 788
N
Member
Member
N Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 788
Although your card is dual-GPU, does it really use Crossfire to link them? I have a GTX580 with settings almost like yours and no problems over water.

Also, are drivers the latest and everything set properly in CCC? Can't help you there though as I'm not ATI.

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 6,623
M
Hotshot
Hotshot
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 6,623
Yeah, maybe a driver change is in order?

I have a similar system but with an Nvidia 570, absolutely no performance issues.


WAS C2D 8500 3.16ghz, 285gtx 1gb, 4gig ram, XP NOW Win7 64, I5 2500K, SSD, 8Gig ram, GTX 570
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 9,145
Likes: 8
A
Hotshot
Hotshot
A Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 9,145
Likes: 8
I have two 5870's, but don't run in Crossfire for Rise of Flight. Over water is fine for me. I'm using the Beta 12.7 driver.

Try turning the Forest visibility downa a notch, and set the Filter to 4x.

I run with Post Effects on.

Also, be sure your Catalyst Control Center isn't forcing any settings.


"Go Fly A Kite!"
-Jason R.
FS-WWI Project Leader
FS-WWI Plane Pack Site

Intel i7 14700k
Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite X
64GB Corsair DDR5 6400 Dominator Titanium
AMD XFX 7900 XTX Merc310 Black Edition
LG UltraGear 38GN95B-B 38" monitor
Corsair HX1200 PSU
1TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
2TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
Two 2TB EVO 860 SSDs
Sound Blaster ZxR
Win 10 x64 Pro
HOTAS Cougar #4069 w/Uber II Nxt mod #284 & UTM bushings
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,343
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,343
Always update to the latest drivers-currently have 12.10 installed.

The only thing that isn't "using application settings" is tessellation which is set to "AMD optimized" as I wasn't sure if ROF messed with that.

I wonder if it could be a driver issue-I noticed that when I "view" an aircraft I've shot down, things aren't as smooth as I seem to remember them being when the plane ends up in the trees which is the same effect as on the water.

During takeoffs/landings and during flight everything is perfectly smooth.

On another note, I remember we were told to "leave" AMD alone as they were working (apparently) with ROF to tweak things for us.

Anyone hear anything about this? They haven't released any Crossfire stuff for us-that I'm aware of...

copter


Skids are for kids!
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,499
V
Member
Member
V Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,499
Did you try to set the shader quality to high or medium? AFAIK, that does can have quite an impact on the overall performance, esp. when it comes to water.


Intel Core I7-4790K @ 4x4GHz (oc'ed to 4x4,5 GHz on air)
be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 CPU Cooler (250W TDP)
ASUS Z97-C motherboard
ASUS STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5
ASUS ROG Xonar Phoebus Solo Soundcard, PCIe
2 x 4GB GEIL DDR3 Value RAM
ANTEC PSU (750W)
Toshiba 37" LCD TV (1920x1080x32)
Win 7 Home Pro (64bit)
240 GB Corsair SSD (Force Series 3)
TrackIR4 Pro
HOTAS Cougar + "Uber NxT advanced" gimbal mod
SIMPED F-16 Pedals
SAITEK Throttle Quadrant
A2 leather jacket & leather gloves
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,343
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,343
I'll go give that a try right now!!!

copter


Skids are for kids!
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,343
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,343
Well, it doesn't matter anyway-I can't get the seaplane to climb more than about 800 feet anyway!!!!

Are there any different engine controls that need to be "modded" to fly it? I'm assuming there's no mixture adjustment (which is already assigned) and I don't see anything change when I use my already assigned "open" and "close" radiator commands.

I can't climb up high enough to engage an RE-8 set to fly at 500 feet!!!!!

copter


Skids are for kids!
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 97
S
Junior Member
Junior Member
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 97
Ditch reflections. Thats whats causing your issues. Switch em off completely and report back smile

Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,499
V
Member
Member
V Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,499
But that also kills the reflections on planes right?


Intel Core I7-4790K @ 4x4GHz (oc'ed to 4x4,5 GHz on air)
be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 CPU Cooler (250W TDP)
ASUS Z97-C motherboard
ASUS STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5
ASUS ROG Xonar Phoebus Solo Soundcard, PCIe
2 x 4GB GEIL DDR3 Value RAM
ANTEC PSU (750W)
Toshiba 37" LCD TV (1920x1080x32)
Win 7 Home Pro (64bit)
240 GB Corsair SSD (Force Series 3)
TrackIR4 Pro
HOTAS Cougar + "Uber NxT advanced" gimbal mod
SIMPED F-16 Pedals
SAITEK Throttle Quadrant
A2 leather jacket & leather gloves
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 97
S
Junior Member
Junior Member
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 97
Well...yeh...but canvas doesnt reflect much and I can live without the cowling mirroring. Its a balance between eye candy and performance. If you like eye candy keep em on.

Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,343
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,343
How about my second question-do I need to assign new engine controls to fly the D12? I can't get it to climb above 1000 ft and all of the other A/C in ROF fly just fine....

copter


Skids are for kids!
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 97
S
Junior Member
Junior Member
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 97
In all probability you do not have an altitude throttle axis set for the D12. Have a look in your controls and set one up. I cant remember if, by default, it is set to on which would make it damn hard to get off the ground. Set it on a slider if possible and apply in stages as you gain altitude. Hope this helps.

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 9,145
Likes: 8
A
Hotshot
Hotshot
A Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 9,145
Likes: 8
Originally Posted By: SYN_Jedders
In all probability you do not have an altitude throttle axis set for the D12. Have a look in your controls and set one up. I cant remember if, by default, it is set to on which would make it damn hard to get off the ground. Set it on a slider if possible and apply in stages as you gain altitude. Hope this helps.


+1, also, check the fuel/air mixture. biggrin


"Go Fly A Kite!"
-Jason R.
FS-WWI Project Leader
FS-WWI Plane Pack Site

Intel i7 14700k
Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite X
64GB Corsair DDR5 6400 Dominator Titanium
AMD XFX 7900 XTX Merc310 Black Edition
LG UltraGear 38GN95B-B 38" monitor
Corsair HX1200 PSU
1TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
2TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
Two 2TB EVO 860 SSDs
Sound Blaster ZxR
Win 10 x64 Pro
HOTAS Cougar #4069 w/Uber II Nxt mod #284 & UTM bushings
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,343
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,343
Two questions:

Altitude throttle to climb above 800 feet?

A D12 has a mixture adjustment?

I have the "rich" "lean" mixture adjustment already set for planes that require it....

copter


Skids are for kids!
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 788
N
Member
Member
N Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 788
There is no altitude throttle for the W12, and I don't think it has mixture. I also don't think it has radiator controls.

It is a poor climber. I did get it above 1200meters, at which point my engine was over heating and leveling out did nothing to fix it nor did messing around with the radiator.

But the time listed to around 2800meters was about 30 minutes, so it's definitely a dog there.

Last edited by NattyIced; 11/06/12 02:11 AM.
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 97
S
Junior Member
Junior Member
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 97
D12 Natty. Just an alt throttle on it.

Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 788
N
Member
Member
N Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 788
Oh, duh - the Pfalz.

Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,343
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,343
Originally Posted By: NattyIced
Oh, duh - the Pfalz.


????

Still won't climb out of it's own way!


Skids are for kids!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
September 15th Battle of Britain Day.
by RedToo - 09/15/26 08:06 PM
Population Patterns
by PanzerMeyer - 09/15/26 03:43 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,071,311 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1