SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Hop To
Page 6 of 23 1 2 … 4 5 6 7 8 … 22 23
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 22,096
C
Lifer
Lifer
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 22,096
Very nice mhe_at! Missed when you first posted on it.

Just finished mine last weekend 100% so now I have to do the follow-up article promised last September!


Wisdom is knowing what's enough
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 11,274
USMC
Veteran
USMC
Veteran
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 11,274
And now, until May 31st they're ON SALE!


Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.


Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,834
C
Dagestan, Dover, DMZ
Senior Member
Dagestan, Dover, DMZ
Senior Member
C Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,834
Some progress on my Obutto build:

I ordered another flight sim addition from them. I really liked the really low platform that came with it and wanted one for the throttle as well. I felt that the throttle was too high with either the shifter platform or the other flight sim platform. Having two of the low mounts is ergonomic nirvana for me. Since I'm for now not using the wheel platform that comes with it, I stuck the throttle mount into one of the receptacles for the table and tightened down my CH Throttle quadrant. I like the angle for the levers in this configuration. There is still swinging room for the keyboard tray but as before, I do have to remove the stick mount which takes seconds. I just swivel the throttle outboard a bit and the keyboard rotates into place for any FPS games I want to play.

That's a Samsung 32" LED TV. I used LED because they are lighter than the LCDs. My only complaint thus far about the cockpit is that it does not seem suited to TVs. The 200x100 VESA pattern just doesn't cut it in a world of larger 200x200 mounting TVs. I had to buy an adapter plate, and a bunch of bolts, etc. The adapter plate had a lot of options so where ever the holes lined up, I put a bolt through it so that I have a lot of bolts holding the plate and TV to the Obutto plate. In the end, I've got 4 M5's and 8 M4's so I hope that's enough. That part was a real pain to deal with - especially given the top and bottom box frames run right across where the 200x200 pattern would go. Hopefully this stays connected. I'm also planning on putting a touch overlay over this monitor so there is a little more weight. I may rig up some type of suspension mechanism for the bottom of the display.

Now I'll have to wire all this stuff up smile




Corsair8X

virtually making history 30mm at a time
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 224
D
Member
Member
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 224
Hey guys,
I'm starting to seriously consider the Obutto. I saw another post saying that Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals will not fit properly.
Can anyone confirm this?
And if not, I'd probably consider the Saitek Combat Pedals. Does anyone have any experience with those and how they fit?
Thanks.


-Dr Meltdown
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 22,096
C
Lifer
Lifer
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 22,096
Originally Posted By: Dr Meltdown
Hey guys,
I'm starting to seriously consider the Obutto. I saw another post saying that Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals will not fit properly.
Can anyone confirm this?
And if not, I'd probably consider the Saitek Combat Pedals. Does anyone have any experience with those and how they fit?
Thanks.


It's a wonderful prefab cockpit that you can mess with to personalize it even more.

Re: Saitek Pedals...
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3275365/Re_Review_Obutto_oZone_Gaming_.html#Post3275365


Wisdom is knowing what's enough
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 224
D
Member
Member
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 224
Thanks Guod.
Yeah, that's the post I saw about the Saitek pedals. I still want to get this. It's pretty much everything I've wanted in a sim pit. I really like the simple yet completely functional design. I just want to make sure my pedals will work before spending the dough.
I've considered trying to design and build something similar with pvc, but hard to resist a proven, designed, & already built product.


-Dr Meltdown
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 15,158
N
Veteran
Veteran
N Offline
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 15,158
Resurrecting this thread...anyone using this with 3 30" monitors? The site says that 24" is the largest monitor that the Obutto will allow 3 of without user alteration. Curious if anyone has had to make an alteration to use 3 monitors of 30" or thereabouts


Mobo ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0)
Memory CORSAIR XMS3 8GB DDR3
GPU 2 EVGA 680 FTW 4GB
CPU Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz)
Drives 2 HITACHI Deskstar 3TB 2 Crucial 256 GB SSD Displays 3 HP ZR30w 30" monitors
UPS Cyberpower PP2200SW
PSU Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W
Case COOLER MASTER CM Storm Trooper
Drive LITE-ON Black 12X Blu-ray
CPU cooler Noctua 6 Dual Heatpipe
Fans COOLER MASTER SickleFlow 120
OS Windows 7 Premium
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 10,343
S
Veteran
Veteran
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 10,343
Simpeds won't work with this cockpit?


You're only young once, but you can be immature forever.
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,154
B
Senior Member
Senior Member
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,154
I almost have the cash to get one, another month of savings, however I have the saitek peddels, any pictures on how thye fit, or modified. Thanks in advance.


Bullet


Specs
home built I7 870 Lynnfield Chip at stock speed 2.93 with Evga P55FTW system board, A BFG GTX275 Vid card, 4Gigs Corsair Dominator Mem 2600+, 1.3 TB on 2 WD Hard drives, Corsair H50 water cooler.X-65F with peddals and Tir 4 track clip pro One badass machine...
A truism "liberals, who believe that everyone should categorically agree with them because their theoretical positions are "a higher truth" than the positions of any person out there living in and interacting with the real world."
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 55
M
Junior Member
Junior Member
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 55
Originally Posted By: peppergomez
Resurrecting this thread...anyone using this with 3 30" monitors? The site says that 24" is the largest monitor that the Obutto will allow 3 of without user alteration. Curious if anyone has had to make an alteration to use 3 monitors of 30" or thereabouts


My 3 27" models fit fine with some room to spare. But keep in mind that the wider the screens, the lesser the angle you can mount them. So with 30" screens you might end up with some weird viewing angles. My side screens give an angle of 35� towards to user offset from the center on each side. Since the center screen in your case would be wider, it might be possible to do it in a completeley flat setup. But even 3 27" is already pretty sick and huge.

Originally Posted By: shan2
Simpeds won't work with this cockpit?


No, I've compared the measurements on the manufacturer's site. They are too wide.

Originally Posted By: Bulletstop
I almost have the cash to get one, another month of savings, however I have the saitek peddels, any pictures on how thye fit, or modified. Thanks in advance.


Bullet


The normal Saitek Pro Pedals will fit, although it's a tight fit and you might have to omit the rubberized floor plate to get them inside the lower frame of the cockpit. The Combat Pedals are even wider, so even when placed on the floor the pedal assemblies will interfere with the frame's tubing. A possible solution is to only use some part of the movement of the pedals, but you will not be able to use the full movement range of the pedals. With the non-Combat models, it seems fine, although this is just word of mouth, I haven't tried it myself so far.


You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 10,343
S
Veteran
Veteran
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 10,343
I've seen one guy who has removed the baseplate on the Simped to get it to fit:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1225825

But I'm still not sure how practical this would be... It looks like he has the pedals on the floor. It may be a better solution to raise the pedals up past the supports using a piece of 2x4...


You're only young once, but you can be immature forever.
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 55
M
Junior Member
Junior Member
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 55
You can get a bit more space by omitting the floor plate. But you lose the comfy angle of the pedals and even when placed on the floor, I don't think that you can use the whole movement range on that simpeds in the obutto. The lower frame is simply too narrow for some flight sim pedals, after all it was designed primarily with the sim racer in mind.

I've seen some pics of the Saitek Combat Pedals used in an Obutto some while ago, I can't remmeber where though. Guy complained about the lack of space. Since the Simpeds are even wider, I assume the problem is even worse with them. Really a shame, since Simpeds are great.


You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 15,158
N
Veteran
Veteran
N Offline
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 15,158
how much did you guys pay? looks like it costs about $720 total (that includes shipping) for the table, triple monitor mount, flight stick mount, and desk.

Last edited by peppergomez; 07/18/11 07:12 PM.

Mobo ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0)
Memory CORSAIR XMS3 8GB DDR3
GPU 2 EVGA 680 FTW 4GB
CPU Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz)
Drives 2 HITACHI Deskstar 3TB 2 Crucial 256 GB SSD Displays 3 HP ZR30w 30" monitors
UPS Cyberpower PP2200SW
PSU Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W
Case COOLER MASTER CM Storm Trooper
Drive LITE-ON Black 12X Blu-ray
CPU cooler Noctua 6 Dual Heatpipe
Fans COOLER MASTER SickleFlow 120
OS Windows 7 Premium
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 22,096
C
Lifer
Lifer
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 22,096
I have an email in to Chris at Obutto asking about the wider pedals, and if there are any plans or suggestions he has.


Wisdom is knowing what's enough
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 10,343
S
Veteran
Veteran
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 10,343
pepper, that's the same price I'm looking at from Obutto's distributor. It's expensive, but my current desk and chair were more costly and don't provide the same ergonomic benefits.

My only concern is being able to use the Simpeds... I simply had to invest way too much time in order to get them. Dieter made great stuff...just not terribly fast. biggrin

edit:

Actually, that's not true. My main concern is the wife approving of the cockpit being placed in the shared office. She actually asked, "What am I going to tell my friends when they're visiting!?"

She didn't like, "Well, at least it isn't donkey pr0n..." hahaha

Last edited by shan2; 07/18/11 08:06 PM.

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever.
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 15,158
N
Veteran
Veteran
N Offline
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 15,158
hah. my girlfriend's reply when i sent her info on the chair: "I am definitely getting a baby in return"


Mobo ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0)
Memory CORSAIR XMS3 8GB DDR3
GPU 2 EVGA 680 FTW 4GB
CPU Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz)
Drives 2 HITACHI Deskstar 3TB 2 Crucial 256 GB SSD Displays 3 HP ZR30w 30" monitors
UPS Cyberpower PP2200SW
PSU Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W
Case COOLER MASTER CM Storm Trooper
Drive LITE-ON Black 12X Blu-ray
CPU cooler Noctua 6 Dual Heatpipe
Fans COOLER MASTER SickleFlow 120
OS Windows 7 Premium
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 22,096
C
Lifer
Lifer
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 22,096
Originally Posted By: shan2
Actually, that's not true. My main concern is the wife approving of the cockpit being placed in the shared office. She actually asked, "What am I going to tell my friends when they're visiting!?"


She can tell them you're doing aviation testing for the Air Force. They'll be impressed and she will be the envy of her friends saying they wish their husbands could get contract work like that. You're doing her a huge favor!

wink


Wisdom is knowing what's enough
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 11,274
USMC
Veteran
USMC
Veteran
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 11,274
Or, you could put your friends in it and let them have some fun too!


Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.


Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 10,343
S
Veteran
Veteran
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 10,343
Hah! I'd recognize that ultralight cockpit anywhere, Ghost! biggrin

I haven't played Flight Simulator X in a while...

There might be a bit of a freakout when she sees the triple monitor setup. I'd like to go for 3 x 30" but no set of videocards on the planet will run Crysis at the native 7680 x 1600 resolution with all of the eye candy enabled.

guod, did you get any response from Chris, yet? It's too bad that I can't just come over with my Simpeds... wink


You're only young once, but you can be immature forever.
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,328
P
Senior Member
Senior Member
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,328
Originally Posted By: shan2
guod, did you get any response from Chris, yet? It's too bad that I can't just come over with my Simpeds... wink

This is one thing keeping me from clicking the buy button. Once there's a working solution for my gameport Simpeds without the Cougar (currently in testing phase), I'm divorcing my aging CH Pedals.


Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO, i7 6700k, G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB, 980TI 6GB G1 OC, Obutto oZone, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, NP TrackIR5, ***Soon*** Oculus Rift
Page 6 of 23 1 2 … 4 5 6 7 8 … 22 23

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
September 15th Battle of Britain Day.
by RedToo - 09/15/26 08:06 PM
Population Patterns
by PanzerMeyer - 09/15/26 03:43 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,070,798 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1