SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Hop To
Page 30 of 78 1 2 … 28 29 30 31 32 … 77 78
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 793
P
Member
Member
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 793
Here's what I came up with:
There are two flavors of "shot down". One has the victor and victmi clearly identified. The other has the victim identified and the victor as "-1".

If the victor and victim are clearly identified then the victim has been shot down and killed.
- The logic is that in this case there was a dramatic kill - pilot killed, fire, etc.

If the victor is not identified then I review the damaged logs to determine the victor. He who inflicted the most gets the victory. The victim is shot down but not killed.
- The logic here is that the aircraft was shot up and forced down, but the pilot had some control and managed to survive the incident.

I can - but have not yet - implemented Winger's idea for "captured". it is a good one so I suppose that I should go ahead and do it.

I am tempted to, and probably will, ignore anything that happens to the player. If you die, you know it. The above system is good enough for AI pilots but I don't have enough confidence in it to end a player's campaign. In fact, I would rather not end a player's campaign at all. Players can discipline themselves to play 'dead is dead" as they wish.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 2,676
Likes: 1
B
Senior Member
Senior Member
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 2,676
Likes: 1
Good stuff Patrick. It keeps getting better and better.


"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism, while the wolf remains of a different opinion."--- William Ralph Inge

"The ORIGINAL Barkhorn"
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 25,177
Likes: 2
R
Lifer
Lifer
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 25,177
Likes: 2
Sounds awesome. I spent a lot of time in external view trying to figure out what's happening to my wingmen, which is a bit unimmersive. If you can get them sorted, the player can sort himself.

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 793
P
Member
Member
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 793
Version 7.0 is coded. I am testing and debugging now. Automatic mission results are the big feature, but there are others ... including ... wait for it ... WIND SOCKS!!! (wild applause erupts :))

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 25,177
Likes: 2
R
Lifer
Lifer
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 25,177
Likes: 2
By the time the official generator is released no one will need it...

Did you consider adding my idea of deleting old missions as new ones are created (to keep the mission folder clean and organized?)

Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,256
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,256
Patrick, that sounds awesome and very much appreciated.

Originally Posted By: RSColonel_131st
By the time the official generator is released no one will need it...

Ok, that's just a kick in the groin man, and completely wrong.

Originally Posted By: RSColonel_131st
Did you consider adding my idea of deleting old missions as new ones are created (to keep the mission folder clean and organized?)

And if you can't just open a folder, block on and delete them yourself... I mean, am I the only one here???


4x2.66 GHz Xeons, XFX 4870 1 GB, 11 GB DDR2 RAM, Win7 Pro x64, 120 GB OCZ Vertex2 (MLC, Sandforce)
26" VIZIO 1920x1200, Logitech FF 3D Pro, CH pedals, Track IR4
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 2,676
Likes: 1
B
Senior Member
Senior Member
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 2,676
Likes: 1
Originally Posted By: PatrickAWilson
Version 7.0 is coded. I am testing and debugging now. Automatic mission results are the big feature, but there are others ... including ... wait for it ... WIND SOCKS!!! (wild applause erupts :))


OMG!! You rock dude. wink


"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism, while the wolf remains of a different opinion."--- William Ralph Inge

"The ORIGINAL Barkhorn"
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 2,676
Likes: 1
B
Senior Member
Senior Member
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 2,676
Likes: 1
Originally Posted By: RSColonel_131st
By the time the official generator is released no one will need it...

Did you consider adding my idea of deleting old missions as new ones are created (to keep the mission folder clean and organized?)



Not so fast on that one as we don't know what the result of 777s efforts will be. And hey, guess what, choice is good. Just like in Il-2 w/ DGEN and Loweingrin's DCG generator. I say bring 'em both on!


"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism, while the wolf remains of a different opinion."--- William Ralph Inge

"The ORIGINAL Barkhorn"
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 3,984
-
Senior Member
Senior Member
- Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 3,984
Originally Posted By: PatrickAWilson
Version 7.0 is coded. I am testing and debugging now. Automatic mission results are the big feature, but there are others ... including ... wait for it ... WIND SOCKS!!! (wild applause erupts :))


Wow jawdrop Nice job there Pat! Thanks for keeping up the great work on this.


Avatar

Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, i7 2700k @4.7GHz, EVGA GTX570HD 301.42s, 1x120gb SSD, 2x150gb WD Raptors, 2x200gb SATA, 16gb G.Skill DDR3 2130, 1000W PS, HP DVD-RW, Onboard sound, 32" Sony Bravia XBR, Win7 Pro 64bit, Tai Chi watercooled case
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 3,984
-
Senior Member
Senior Member
- Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 3,984
Originally Posted By: RSColonel_131st
By the time the official generator is released no one will need it...


I'm surprised to hear this from you of all people! smile I think there will still be a big demand for what Pat has done for those that prefer to stay offline as much as possible.


Avatar

Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, i7 2700k @4.7GHz, EVGA GTX570HD 301.42s, 1x120gb SSD, 2x150gb WD Raptors, 2x200gb SATA, 16gb G.Skill DDR3 2130, 1000W PS, HP DVD-RW, Onboard sound, 32" Sony Bravia XBR, Win7 Pro 64bit, Tai Chi watercooled case
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 2,676
Likes: 1
B
Senior Member
Senior Member
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 2,676
Likes: 1
Originally Posted By: -Avatar-
Originally Posted By: RSColonel_131st
By the time the official generator is released no one will need it...


I'm surprised to hear this from you of all people! smile I think there will still be a big demand for what Pat has done for those that prefer to stay offline as much as possible.


I beleive the Col. was directing that comment at the official generator and not Pat's product, hence my reply.


"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism, while the wolf remains of a different opinion."--- William Ralph Inge

"The ORIGINAL Barkhorn"
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,426
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,426
Sounds superb Pat...and I see the SP career being a long way off yet...I think people of dreaming if they believe it will be out in the next two patches...unless .18 is a long way down the road.

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 793
P
Member
Member
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 793
Originally Posted By: RSColonel_131st
By the time the official generator is released no one will need it...

Did you consider adding my idea of deleting old missions as new ones are created (to keep the mission folder clean and organized?)



Hope you're right smile

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 25,177
Likes: 2
R
Lifer
Lifer
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 25,177
Likes: 2
Just to clarify, of course I meant that the official generator will be "surplus" if Pat keeps going like this. Of course the offical gen will be inside the game, more extensive artwork and stuff, but likely only work online, and maybe still keep the "you need to shoot down three planes to proceed..."

I'm a bit disheartened by the latest rumours that it won't make .17 either, after all it was originally meant to be in .16. Thankfully Pat's tool is such an awesome alternative that without it, RoF would gather dust.

Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 3,984
-
Senior Member
Senior Member
- Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 3,984
Originally Posted By: RSColonel_131st
Just to clarify, of course I meant that the official generator will be "surplus" if Pat keeps going like this.



Ah, excuse me for misunderstanding you.

Quote:
Of course the offical gen will be inside the game, more extensive artwork and stuff, but likely only work online, and maybe still keep the "you need to shoot down three planes to proceed..."

I'm a bit disheartened by the latest rumours that it won't make .17 either, after all it was originally meant to be in .16. Thankfully Pat's tool is such an awesome alternative that without it, RoF would gather dust.


Time will tell but I think it's better to wait until the end result is at least close to what they intend/we want and then patch from there as opposed to release something that doesn't work like intended. All IMHO of course.


Avatar

Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, i7 2700k @4.7GHz, EVGA GTX570HD 301.42s, 1x120gb SSD, 2x150gb WD Raptors, 2x200gb SATA, 16gb G.Skill DDR3 2130, 1000W PS, HP DVD-RW, Onboard sound, 32" Sony Bravia XBR, Win7 Pro 64bit, Tai Chi watercooled case
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 152
O
An Ace in de Skys
Member
An Ace in de Skys
Member
O Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 152
@Gremlin

When do you suppose PW-CG Version 7 will be posted to Wings of Honor website. Inquiring minds want to know...

OlPaint


Within this vale
Of toil
And sin
Your head grows bald
But not your chin - use
Burma-Shave
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 3,984
-
Senior Member
Senior Member
- Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 3,984
Originally Posted By: OlPaint
@Gremlin

When do you suppose PW-CG Version 7 will be posted to Wings of Honor website. Inquiring minds want to know...


I'm not Gremlin but I would guess it will be there once the testing is done. Who knows when it will pass the testing but it shouldn't be too long based on previous experience. smile


Avatar

Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, i7 2700k @4.7GHz, EVGA GTX570HD 301.42s, 1x120gb SSD, 2x150gb WD Raptors, 2x200gb SATA, 16gb G.Skill DDR3 2130, 1000W PS, HP DVD-RW, Onboard sound, 32" Sony Bravia XBR, Win7 Pro 64bit, Tai Chi watercooled case
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,118
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,118
Originally Posted By: RSColonel_131st
Just to clarify, of course I meant that the official generator will be "surplus" if Pat keeps going like this. Of course the offical gen will be inside the game, more extensive artwork and stuff, but likely only work online, and maybe still keep the "you need to shoot down three planes to proceed..."

I'm a bit disheartened by the latest rumours that it won't make .17 either, after all it was originally meant to be in .16. Thankfully Pat's tool is such an awesome alternative that without it, RoF would gather dust.


The official campaign is not going to be like that, it is a very feature rich campaign generator that has taken a lot of time to put together. There is a lot of Neoqb staff resourse going into making it as good as they can get it, it is not all about flashy graphics and intergration. It has had a lot more thought put into it than just knocking up a little flashy graphic based generator to knock out with one of the patches.
Somethings take a little time, be patient.

Meanwhile we have Pat's campaign generator to keep us going and of course they'll be a need for it after the official campaign eventually is released.

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 793
P
Member
Member
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 793
Features are complete for V7 but I know of at least one bug and have to test for others. Not too long.

Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,256
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,256
Originally Posted By: RSColonel_131st
Just to clarify, of course I meant that the official generator will be "surplus" if Pat keeps going like this.

Apologies Colonel, I was too hasty to read between the lines, but in defense it was kind of open to misinterpretation. rolleyes

Yes, depending on the modus operandi of the official campaign it may have an entirely different feel to it, i.e. you likely will have to hit all the waypoints and triggers or nothing happens/no success, no going past GO, etc. Then there will be the online requirements to use the official campaign, that's a different story... BUT I will be patient, and hopefully it won't take as long as IL2 CoD... but let's not go there either.

I really enjoy Pat's generated missions, and yes again, if it wasn't for his efforts I wouldn't be flying RoF as much as I do. I just take off and fly where I want to (unless I'm not leading the flight), navigate totally by the map (love that aspect of the sim), loosely stick to the recommended patrol route or intercept point, and know that I could run into hostiles at any moment. Nothing is staged or triggered. But that is a particular style not to everyone's taste or time requirements.



4x2.66 GHz Xeons, XFX 4870 1 GB, 11 GB DDR2 RAM, Win7 Pro x64, 120 GB OCZ Vertex2 (MLC, Sandforce)
26" VIZIO 1920x1200, Logitech FF 3D Pro, CH pedals, Track IR4
Page 30 of 78 1 2 … 28 29 30 31 32 … 77 78

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
September 15th Battle of Britain Day.
by RedToo - 09/15/26 08:06 PM
Population Patterns
by PanzerMeyer - 09/15/26 03:43 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,074,979 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1