|
|
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,118
Senior Member
|
|
Senior Member
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,118 |
Another wonderful Pfalz campaign mission today, first time for an escort. We flew over to the enemy aerodrome (concidally the home of my Camel career) took pictures and flew back. And when we were almost over the trenches and I was already wondering what to eat tonight, got jumped by a bunch of N.17.
Really perfect how this works out. In other games (First Eagles) you always get jumped right on top of the escort target waypoint, this generator is so much less predictable.
Reminds me of a DII career I was running not so long ago. I left a dogfight (N17's vs DII's) with heavy wing damage and started to limp home. Nothing following me, I started to relax. I brought up my map to try and get a bearing for home when out of nowhere a lone DH2 jumped me and gave me the shock of my life! Lost what remained of my wing and ended up spiralling in until catastrophic wing failure sped up my decline. I now stay alert until I've landed and switched the engine off in DCG mission 
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 27
Junior Member
|
|
Junior Member
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 27 |
Anyone know how this campaign gen relates to the one 777 is working on right now?
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,118
Senior Member
|
|
Senior Member
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,118 |
It doesn't.
Pat gave the source to 777 to look at, but that's about it. 777 are working on their own generator
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 25,177 Likes: 2
Lifer
|
|
Lifer
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 25,177 Likes: 2 |
I'm wondering what skill level the friendly and enemy AI is usually set in a generated mission. Seems my two or three Pfalz D.III can mop up with four or five Dolphins, SE5a or Camels. Short of getting rammed, I have very little to fear, and I don't think I'm such a good pilot.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 87
Junior Member
|
|
Junior Member
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 87 |
I think i read(possibly this thread) that the wingies and so on were average ability.
Another question i have been meaning to ask is why some campaigns can jump by something like 10days. This was something else i saw mentioned somehwere but cant find it again
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 25,177 Likes: 2
Lifer
|
|
Lifer
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 25,177 Likes: 2 |
I think during quiet periods with bad weather you have such gaps, in spring and summer you fly every day. Come to think, does the generator use the winter landscape?
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 87
Junior Member
|
|
Junior Member
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 87 |
That certainly sounds very plausible.
I got snow/winter terrain in a German, 1/1/17 campaign so im sure it would be the same for any appropriate time frame throughout the war
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 793
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 793 |
I'm wondering what skill level the friendly and enemy AI is usually set in a generated mission. Seems my two or three Pfalz D.III can mop up with four or five Dolphins, SE5a or Camels. Short of getting rammed, I have very little to fear, and I don't think I'm such a good pilot. I looked into AI settings and you are correct, they were too low. Version 6.1 will have adjustments. In 6.0 and previous it was 30% rookie 60% normal 10% veteran 0% ace - Historical aces are always ace AI. In 6.1 it will be as follows: 30% rookie (historically this would be a new pilot with fewer than 10 missions) 35% normal (historically this would be a pilot with > 10 missions and perhaps a victory or two) 30% veteran (historically this would be a pilot with some victories but < 10) 5% ace - Historical aces are always ace AI. (historically this would be a pilot with >= 10 victories) That to me is about right. In a future relase I want to make it user configurable, just can't do that in 15 minutes  . Here's the justification: The casualty rate in WWI was tremendous and aces, as much as we may read about them, were very rare. If you go to the aerordrome and look at some of the "lesser" (I really hesitate to use that word) aces you will see pilots who scored a victory once every three months for a year and a half. What you have to remember is that these guys were more successful than most. Many pilots never made it past a few missions. Of those that did many never scored more than a victory or two. Anyway, if you disagree then just wait for 6.2 and you can set it as you like  .
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 793
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 793 |
I think during quiet periods with bad weather you have such gaps, in spring and summer you fly every day. Come to think, does the generator use the winter landscape? Correct. ROFCampaign is designed to offer something like a historical operational tempo - heavy Spring-Fall and lighter in the Winter. Minimum and maximum days between missions is below. Mission spacing is a random number between min and max. monthlyMissionMinimum.add(new Integer(4)); monthlyMissionMinimum.add(new Integer(4)); monthlyMissionMinimum.add(new Integer(3)); monthlyMissionMinimum.add(new Integer(1)); monthlyMissionMinimum.add(new Integer(1)); monthlyMissionMinimum.add(new Integer(1)); monthlyMissionMinimum.add(new Integer(1)); monthlyMissionMinimum.add(new Integer(1)); monthlyMissionMinimum.add(new Integer(1)); monthlyMissionMinimum.add(new Integer(1)); monthlyMissionMinimum.add(new Integer(3)); monthlyMissionMinimum.add(new Integer(4)); monthlyMissionSpread.add(new Integer(12)); monthlyMissionSpread.add(new Integer(10)); monthlyMissionSpread.add(new Integer(8)); monthlyMissionSpread.add(new Integer(4)); monthlyMissionSpread.add(new Integer(3)); monthlyMissionSpread.add(new Integer(3)); monthlyMissionSpread.add(new Integer(3)); monthlyMissionSpread.add(new Integer(3)); monthlyMissionSpread.add(new Integer(3)); monthlyMissionSpread.add(new Integer(4)); monthlyMissionSpread.add(new Integer(7)); monthlyMissionSpread.add(new Integer(10));
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 793
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 793 |
It doesn't.
Pat gave the source to 777 to look at, but that's about it. 777 are working on their own generator That's pretty much it. I did mine in Swing/Java and that is not what 777 uses. As professional developers, however, they should be able to read and understand it. What I hope they get from it is the goodness that results from heavy randomization, a nice dose of historical accuracy, and the idea that stuff happens outside of the player's flight. What I hope they add to it is all of the goodness that I can't provide working a few hours over the course of a week. They are good guys and very committed. Just as it took awhile to get RoF to its current state it will probably also take awhile to get the campaign to its ultimate state.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 177
Wings Of Honor Member
|
|
Wings Of Honor Member
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 177 |
Happy New Year, all! Pat sent me RoFCampaign V6.1. Go get it at -> http://www.wingsofhonour.com/riseoffligh...ameplay.en.htmlImprovements and Fixes: V6.1 New Features: - No bomb payload for 2 seaters on recon or arty spot Bug Fixes: - Fixed no ammo on Pups and Tripes - Fixed MG attack assignments - Fixed invalid orientation value bug (caused mission not to load) - Fixed HP name not appearing - Fixed aircraft start position at Boistrancourt - Fixed aircraft start position at Jametz - Upped pilot AI ability Have fun. Gremlin
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,082
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,082 |
Patrick,
Thank you very much. Have a Happy New Year!
AMD Ryzen 7 5800XT ASRock B550 Taichi 2 x 16GB G.Skill Flare X PC4-25600 ASRock Radeon RX9070 Challenger Seasonic Platinum 860W VKB Gunfighter IV KG12 VKB STECS Throttle CH Products TQ Slaw Pedals TrackIR 5
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 87
Junior Member
|
|
Junior Member
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 87 |
I have created a few campaigns today and all seems well with regards to the lil problem i reported a while back.
As the ai pilots have been upgraded some,im assuming this also happens to our squad mates/wingmen as well as the enemy.In the few missions i managed today,the enemy ai certainly seemed sharper.
Thanks Patrick
Hector
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 25,177 Likes: 2
Lifer
|
|
Lifer
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 25,177 Likes: 2 |
Pat, you are a Code Magician, fixing and improving things so quickly! Check your PM.
I assume the "MG Attack Assignment" is the problem I had with AI going after ground targets?
One more question: The "base number of flights" for allied and central says in the help "before randomization". I guess this means they are MAX and then when mission is created there may be equal or less that number? And the Random flights simple are additional?
Oh, and one simple feature request, if I may: Would it be possible to have an optional setting for the campaign to delete the last generated mission when a new one is generated? To avoid cluttering up the mission folder. It would also work to have a button "delete old missions". Anything that avoids me going into file explorer browsing down to the folder structure, which always carries the risk of accidently deleting wrong files.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 25,177 Likes: 2
Lifer
|
|
Lifer
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 25,177 Likes: 2 |
Waypoint bug: Just created the first mission (Jasta 15, 1.4.1918) and had a waypoint going all the way to the eastern border of the map. Sorry, stupid me overwrote the mission, I'll save it up if it happens again.
One more bug: If I create a German Campaign on 1.4.1918, as Hauptmann (highest rank) suddenly Jasta 15 drops off the list and can not be selected. If I set my rank to next lowest, I can select them (flying Pfalz D.III in April). I can also select them as Hauptmann in 1.3.1918 on Albatros D.Va, it seems they drop off the list when the Pfalz D.III appears. Planes owned is correctly set.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 793
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 793 |
Waypoint bug: Just created the first mission (Jasta 15, 1.4.1918) and had a waypoint going all the way to the eastern border of the map. Sorry, stupid me overwrote the mission, I'll save it up if it happens again.
One more bug: If I create a German Campaign on 1.4.1918, as Hauptmann (highest rank) suddenly Jasta 15 drops off the list and can not be selected. If I set my rank to next lowest, I can select them (flying Pfalz D.III in April). I can also select them as Hauptmann in 1.3.1918 on Albatros D.Va, it seems they drop off the list when the Pfalz D.III appears. Planes owned is correctly set. The first part is something that I have to work on - i.e. excessive mission length. The second is not a bug but by design. The player is not allowed to command a sqsuadron already commanded by a historical ace. You can join, but not as the commander.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 364
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 364 |
Where do i find and exact explination of how to use RoF campaign 6.1.
So far after I select ROF campaign Jar A box opens with ROF campaign gen. and 6 boxs.
If i select create new another box appears with the countries listed across the top
.If i select a country and select continue another box appears so i enter a name. I do not know what the reagion box is for.I select a date ,a rank, and a squadren. and hit create .
ANother box appears with a british insignia and 7 boxes. I select create a mission and I get a dialog box tht says the system cannot find the specified path data\missions\19160101.mission
I have been unable to find spacific text tellng me which way to go next and so far i have been unable to make this work at all.
any help would be appreciated as i use the QUick dogfight generator and like it very much
Last edited by Pawgy; 01/04/11 09:31 PM.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 793
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 793 |
Hi Pawgy: It sounds like everything is good except where RoFCampaign is installed. Since it uses relative offsets to find directories it must be installed in the root RoF folder.
Unzip the zip file in the root RoF folder. If done properly, you will then have another folder in RoF called RoFCampaign.
Region is mostly for German players. If you put Bavaria, Saxony or Wurtemburg you will get regional medals. For other players you can put whatever you want or nothing at all - it is not used.
You did everything except the install right. You did successfully create a campaign. It only takes a minute to do so. Mission creation failed because it wanted to find your ROF mission folder and could not do so.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 25,177 Likes: 2
Lifer
|
|
Lifer
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 25,177 Likes: 2 |
Pawgy, don't forget to set "Planes Owned" up first.
Pat, thanks for the explanation about Jasta 4. What would happen if I'm the commander in March and then move into April...?
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 364
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 364 |
Hi Pawgy: It sounds like everything is good except where RoFCampaign is installed. Since it uses relative offsets to find directories it must be installed in the root RoF folder.
Unzip the zip file in the root RoF folder. If done properly, you will then have another folder in RoF called RoFCampaign.
Region is mostly for German players. If you put Bavaria, Saxony or Wurtemburg you will get regional medals. For other players you can put whatever you want or nothing at all - it is not used.
You did everything except the install right. You did successfully create a campaign. It only takes a minute to do so. Mission creation failed because it wanted to find your ROF mission folder and could not do so. Thanks Patrick. I seem to be ok now that i put ROFcamppaign in my maain ROF folder. Unless I select USA as my country. Their is no squadren and when i select create I get a box with Dialog and a question mark and can go no further. Pawgy
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
|
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
|
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|