SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Hop To
Page 8 of 28 1 2 … 6 7 8 9 10 … 27 28
Sim #2887443 10/25/09 02:18 PM
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 40,112
2
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
Sierra Hotel
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
Sierra Hotel
2 Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 40,112
All the best Sim.


Pat Tillman (1976-2004):
4 years Arizona State University, graduated with high honors.
5 seasons National Football League player, Arizona Cardinals.
Forever United States Army Ranger.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

20mm #2887812 10/26/09 01:47 AM
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 27,044
Likes: 26
W
Lifer
Lifer
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 27,044
Likes: 26
Great news Sim. thumbsup


Wheels


Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 938
D
Member
Member
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 938
Best of luck on your flight today Sim.
I'm really enjoying this thread.


Gear: Asus P4P800 3.2ghz, 1gb ram, SB Audigy 2 ZS, ATI 9800 pro, Cougar #04607 and TM Elite Rudders
DawgMan #2888520 10/27/09 01:04 AM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 9,585
S
Sim
Offline
Hotshot
Hotshot
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 9,585
It finally happened. First flight was with instructor. We did break out, then go around and two touch n goes followed by full stop. Entire sortie lasted a little more than .5 hours. I taxied to park and shut engine down. IP jumped out and did a walk around. Crew chief hooked up cart and I did an engine run to cool it down. Then I started her up and taxied to run up area. After run up I taxied to hold short and said "Number one, Wings40, patterns, two pins stowed" Then I had to wait for what felt like 30 minutes just to get clearance to take off. I kept looking around cockpit thinking I forgot something. But other than IP in the back, everything was fine. Clearance received and off I went. I still can't believe they allowed me to take her for a spin. There was no drama in pattern. When I was coming to first landing, they for some reason waved me off. No idea what for as it looked right on profile, but I heard "On final, go around". Power max, counteract torque with rudder, gear and flaps up and climb to 500AGL. Next touch-n-go, I touched only with left gear and went around. Next pattern after I touched down and and took off, I heard two clicks on a radio. I'm not sure if that was directed at me, but usually that means either good landing or "roger". Finally, I landed and taxied to chocks. Nothing unusual happened there. My GPS showed FLT = 22 minutes.

I tried to sneak back into flight room, but guys caught me quickly as I stepped into our building. So flight mates took me to kiddy pool, I removed my flight gear and got thrown into horribly dirty tank with water color of flight suit.

Major upcoming event - mid-phase check flight. Next week - Area Solo!!!

Sim #2888523 10/27/09 01:15 AM
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 26,083
Likes: 167
O
Administrator
Lifer
Administrator
Lifer
O Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 26,083
Likes: 167
Congratulations Sim.

Another member of a very small club.

Where are the pictures.


Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
Sim #2888553 10/27/09 02:30 AM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,961
F
Member
Member
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,961
Nice...and yep, the solo pool is scummy!

Congrats!

FC

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 40,112
2
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
Sierra Hotel
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
Sierra Hotel
2 Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 40,112
WTG Sim, and congrats!

I hope there were showers nearby, that water looks really bad.


Pat Tillman (1976-2004):
4 years Arizona State University, graduated with high honors.
5 seasons National Football League player, Arizona Cardinals.
Forever United States Army Ranger.
20mm #2888782 10/27/09 02:33 PM
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 27,044
Likes: 26
W
Lifer
Lifer
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 27,044
Likes: 26
Good thing he didn't have any hair or he would still be trying to get that slime out of it.
Congrats. thumbsup


Wheels


Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,208
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,208
Grats!!!

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 9,585
S
Sim
Offline
Hotshot
Hotshot
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 9,585
Thanks guys.


Today I had an instrument sim with GPS Approach followed by PAR and ASR. Cool! Since it's instruments, It is logged into flight book biggrin

I especially enjoyed PAR. PAR is like ILS but with verbal guidance by controller who uses precise radar. "On Glide Path - On Heading".

Sim #2889860 10/29/09 12:52 AM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 9,585
S
Sim
Offline
Hotshot
Hotshot
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 9,585
Baby Acro! Depart by West Point one Departure to West MOA. Recover by VOR-B. Broken Clouds from 1100 to 2200.

Aileron Roll - At 180-220 Knots with max power, pull 25 degrees nose high, pause and give full left without applying any pitch. Roll rate is fast. Stopping is dead on without need to stop roll by giving opposite aileron. I tried to stop ahead of wings level, but that was too soon. Stop exactly by wings level.

Spit-S - At 120-140 and power less than 80%, Pull to 25 nose high and do half aileron roll, pause and pull back on stick. Getting into stick-shaker and 3-4Gs is good.

Loop- Start at 230-250. Pull back on stick at 4Gs, apply rudder as needed. (Nose tries to go left) During pull, look at both wings and ball to see if wings level. Relax a bit while upside down due to speed of only 100-120. Continue as with Spit-S.

Sim #2895269 11/05/09 10:29 PM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 9,585
S
Sim
Offline
Hotshot
Hotshot
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 9,585
I'm one flight away from mid-phase check ride. Yesterday, I double-turned on flights. One flight right after another. Today, I double-turned on instrument sims. Tomorrow, I do a pre-check ride. Monday and Tuesday weather is not looking good. Wednesday is a holiday. That's a lot of time between not flying and getting evaluated....
After mid-phase, I'm one / two rides for area solo! That means I get to have over an hour of having fun in a plane that has similar performance as of P-51 biggrin

Sim #2895275 11/05/09 10:34 PM
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 27,044
Likes: 26
W
Lifer
Lifer
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 27,044
Likes: 26
Sounding great.
Good luck. smile


Wheels


Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 11,292
Likes: 16
S
Veteran
Veteran
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 11,292
Likes: 16
Congrats on the solo! smile


In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!
semmern #2896617 11/07/09 10:29 PM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 9,585
S
Sim
Offline
Hotshot
Hotshot
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 9,585
Monday I have a midphase check ride. The weather is not looking too great so it might be pushed back. After which, advanced acro starts such as cuban-8 and cloverleaf. Area solo is next ride after.

Today we had a career day! Different pilots brief us about their planes and missions. Also, some bring their jets as a show and tell. biggrin


Black T-38 flown by U-2



Steam gauges!



Yes, airforce does have whirly birds

More steam gauges! And I think I saw a bullet hole patches from Vietnam. lol



They had display of C17, C130J/H?, 135, F-15, F-16 and others.


Sim #2896789 11/08/09 07:31 AM
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,257
7
Senior Member
Senior Member
7 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,257
Awesome Sim!

Jason

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 27,044
Likes: 26
W
Lifer
Lifer
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 27,044
Likes: 26
Great photos Sim. thumbsup


Wheels


Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 40,112
2
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
Sierra Hotel
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
Sierra Hotel
2 Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 40,112
Good stuff Sim, thanks.


Pat Tillman (1976-2004):
4 years Arizona State University, graduated with high honors.
5 seasons National Football League player, Arizona Cardinals.
Forever United States Army Ranger.
Sim #2897286 11/09/09 05:48 AM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,961
F
Member
Member
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,961
Originally Posted By: Sim

Black T-38 flown by U-2 pilots.


Steam gauges!


Ah....my last active duty unit...love that paint scheme!

Don't you know, that's "T-38 Classic"...with a side of clip on GPS...ultra sophisticated!

[Crusty old gray beard IP]
Don't need no fancy GPS, back in my day we did fix to fixes with a pencil, didn't have tails on bearing pointers, only one radio, no TCAS, no RALT, no glass...you youngin's don't know how good you have it...
[/Crusty old gray beard IP]

Speaking of which, you guys at CAFB will be getting one of the oldest active duty T-38 IPs I've ever seen....instructing him right now. Fifty-seven years old...his total flying career is damn near double the amount of time I've been flying...and I can retire next year!

FC

PS Go with meat-eaters...you can do herbivores anytime.

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 25,177
Likes: 2
R
Lifer
Lifer
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 25,177
Likes: 2
Sim, for the Air Force having Whirly Birds it reminds me - you know, going that way (or C-130) is a way of possible ending up with AF Spec Ops (flying an Osprey, Gunship, Combat Talon or Combat Spear). While an F-15C is a nice ride (the Raptor even more so) these are the guys actually doing the business right now, for real. Of course if you go fast jet on a Viper you can also expect to drop some iron, but nothing is as close and personal as an AC-130.

For me, one of the possible most fascinating jobs in the USAF would be 6th Squadron 1st Special Operations Wing. I visited them a year ago: http://www.milavia.net/specials/afsoc-hurlburt-field/

They are flying a ton of foreign gear and training other nation's Air Forces on it - both in CONUS and on deployment to the host nation. They are seeing a lot of deployment, so it's rough on that end, but you're unlikely to get shot at, and likely to meet a lot of interesting people and fly a lot of interesting stuff.

The guys at Hurlburt are currently collecting bigger yearly budgets while the Raptor got cut, and with the reshaping of the US Force structure towards Asymmetric Warfare, I expect this to stay true for a while yet.

Just some information which not that many people are aware of. If you don't make a fast jet, these are IMHO the next most exciting jobs, much better than flying a Tanker or a standard C-130 on endless cargo trips.

Page 8 of 28 1 2 … 6 7 8 9 10 … 27 28

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
September 15th Battle of Britain Day.
by RedToo - 09/15/26 08:06 PM
Population Patterns
by PanzerMeyer - 09/15/26 03:43 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,070,956 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1