|
|
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,648
Senior Member
|
|
Senior Member
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,648 |
If there is a leader on server I follow them or participate in what they are doing, to further the game. I take something out I bring it back. Something needs a repair truck I drive it on up. I have more fun repairing the equipment and clearing up the Engineering problems in EVO than fighting the battle. In my experience, from the last few times that I played EVO (before I eventually got fed up) vehicles are left in the wake of the assault and unless you really raise a stink, no one will help you gather up vehicles for the next assault. There are usually piles of damaged vehicles left in the wake of any assault. When an assault on a town is complete, people en masse move on to the next town with little or no organization or planning. No one is suggesting that anyone gets yelled at for not being organized, but organized play is the name of the game here at SimHQ. If you just want to jump into an EVO server with a couple of friends and do your own thing, there are hundreds of servers out there. Why is my nose out of joint on other nights? Well for instance, I walk in on Sunday, take a spot on a CO-OP in progess, End up in a gunners slot in a Humvee, Next thing I know I'm getting yelled out to Move the F out from the tower we are blowing up. I'm the gunner not the driver! 2 more times screamed at to move away! no tag call, not ident, I don't break Voice coms, I type in Taco Not Driver Gunner. If you had spoken up and said that you were not the driver, no one would have yelled at you. Also, if you sign into an aleady in progress mission, you are supposed to wait for a silent moment, then key up and report for duty. At that point we could have ascertained what fire team you had been assigned to and there would have been no question as to who you report to or where you were supposed to be. If guys come in and follow whats happening on the ground participate in a team way to get things cleared up hey great. Do they have to report to the "leader" ask for direction, ask for permission to take a humvee? ask to fly taxi service? Get screamed at when they take out a piece of equip and break it or loose it? You really seem to have a problem with playing in a structured environment where you have a commander that assigns specific roles. I've never seen someone screamed at on this server, so you are really overstating things. Sure, sometimes voices get raised when people aren't following orders, it gets frustrating when someone is on and doesn't follow the rules... especially after we've spent so much time trying to establish them. You can come in mid game with a few SIM HQ buds and participate in what is going on without bowing to down to someone that has been on for the last 6 hours and has the rank, as long as you are clearing the map as needed, whats the problem. I agree that the leader shouldn't have to be the person with the most points, but come on, "bow down"? You really seem to not like playing in a structured environment.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 1999
Posts: 18,786
No one of consequence Veteran
|
|
No one of consequence Veteran
Joined: Nov 1999
Posts: 18,786 |
Whether people like the "most points is leader rule" that is the rule. I don't question orders, I just follow them. 
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 825
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 825 |
It would be pretty easy to combat any confusion if there was any. The way we have done it before was the highest score would lead until relieved of command by the new highest leader. If not relieved of command that leader (if he is effective) could remain in that position until relieved of command by the highest rank. Or, the lower rank could hand off command to the new high score. It seemed to work really well back then, but we were also more teamwork focused back then. Sounds like good procedures to me. As long as it's orderly 
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,908
Bullet Magnet Member
|
|
Bullet Magnet Member
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,908 |
I think that a group vote on an overall commander for the mission. That person plans the assault, dispatches specialists, and basically conducts the overall order of battle during EVO. It would be nice if we did this. Evo can be a ton of fun when everyone is working as a team. I have seen teamwork rivaling stuff on Military Mondays while playing Evo. As has been stated many times, it does start to get old when people start taking vehicles to the next town just because they now have the rank to do so and then promptly get them blown up. The next step is usually to grab another vehicle and do it all over again. If people run off on their own with a vehicle that respawns, it doesn't bother me a bit. Generally, they will just die a few times and realize that they need to play as a team. By the way, the few times I have played Evo with Dart he has played it the right way - nothing but teamwork. I've strived to keep this in the middle of fun and milityartic... but anyway... I think the server is exactly as you have described it. I do not find it to be hardcore military rules, etc, etc. But it isn't a free for all either. I enjoy playing on this server a lot and would like to thank all who are responsible for providing and policing it.
"My doctor says I wouldn't get so many nosebleeds if I kept my finger out of there." - Ralph Wiggum
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 155
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 155 |
Na I love a structured environment, Ask Dart, He's flown against and with us. We have a blast, and maintain a high level of structure. Flying full real etc, nothing in the gaming world is harder or more structured than flying IL2 Full real on a pacific map! Belonging to the WingWalkers since 97' flying in many,many, many war, battles etc. I understand the need. Respect what you are trying to do with the game and your server. There is alot that can be done, Teamspeak wise on other nights to let people have a voice (inside their Fire Team) that does not add chatter to the group. As for EVO as I said above, I like the support roles more than the fight. And as such co-op missions leave little of that Engineering work. So EVO is the only chance to be able to do it. Now I'm not a regular fixture So i haven't seen what been up the last few weeks, but the last time I was on Paul and Slow had it under control and we Killed, Repaired and moved on and had one hell of a blast. Anyways, Like i said, If you are participating in a EVO server and working the missions and the flow as it is, Whats the problem? Do I need to ask permission on Saturday to drive a repair truck up and fix something? I think not. On Sunday and Monday HECK yes, Saturday No way. m 2 1/2 cents  Opposing Forces make EVO SOOOO much better...
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." Henry David Thoreau
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,648
Senior Member
|
|
Senior Member
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,648 |
Yeah, I'm in no way taking issue with the way that Dart plays. He has always been a great player, I enjoy playing with him. No one is disputing that.
The thing here is, I think that the more organized players want Evo to be more organized when they jump on and play. There are others that don't want it to be so rigid or to answer to anyone.
Evo, by its very nature creates this dichotomy among the players here. Oh, and thanks Biff.
Last edited by Wepps; 08/09/07 04:32 PM.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 1999
Posts: 18,786
No one of consequence Veteran
|
|
No one of consequence Veteran
Joined: Nov 1999
Posts: 18,786 |
Do I need to ask permission on Saturday to drive a repair truck up and fix something? It really depends on the plan. If the leader says "Ok, everyone drop what you are doing and go on foot into the town" then you should drop whatever you are doing. However, the rule is usually that if you break it you fix it. So, you should just tell your leader that you are going to fix a vehicle and then update him on when it is fixed etc. That way, the leader is aware of all his resources. It is better if people fix broken vehicles right away, so there isn't a massive cleanup effort later. But again, it is up to the leader.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,648
Senior Member
|
|
Senior Member
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,648 |
The last time I played on EVO where there was an actual leader that was organizing the order of battle was when I first started playing here. I've not seen it since then.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 1999
Posts: 18,786
No one of consequence Veteran
|
|
No one of consequence Veteran
Joined: Nov 1999
Posts: 18,786 |
I do think 3.0 and its respawns plays a big part into the breakdown of structure. After a few Cayo respawns people just go nuts.  But back in the early SimHQ Evo days, we had a nice command structure and for two weeks straight, we beat Evo in 12 hours or less.. and we had FUN.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 133
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 133 |
I kinda stayed away from this topic, but I figured I should comment.
I don't see what the big fuss is all about. SimHQ isn't a public server. It has rules.. Why do people even bother to argue and try to change the rules? Seriously. You want a chaotic and random Evo, there's 100 more servers out there that do that. The way I see it.. You do what the leader says. The point of SimHQ is organized play. The leader makes the calls. If you're going to take an important vehicle like the repair truck, YES - you should ask the leader. If you don't wanna do what the leader says, there are other servers.
Now.. What is it with Evo night being a "free for all" kinda thing or whatever? I'll say it again. SimHQ isn't a public server and it has rules. Why do you people come in here and argue that Evo night should be "fun" and people should be free to just play and "have fun"? Go "have fun" on some pub and enjoy ramming Humvees into Blackhawks on take off. A lot of fun, yes?
SimHQ isn't a public server and it has rules. Follow them or play elsewhere. Don't try to change the way we play on SimHQ. I joined cause I like what this site offers. I don't need nobody coming in here and yapping about how the rules aren't right and how Evo night should be to have fun and all that. You like random running around and shooting? There are other servers. Or BF2.
Katie Couric, while interviewing a Marine sniper, asked: "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist?" The Marine shrugged and replied: "Recoil."
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 155
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 155 |
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." Henry David Thoreau
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 28,506
Lifer
|
|
Lifer
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 28,506 |
and this is why I haven't locked this thread yet...
so people can express there opinions, see the other sides opinion, and then move on when it's time to play.
But I've made my decision, like it or not, the final aspect of the whole discussion, don't want to play with basic rules, basic tactics, and basic teamwork... hell, I'm not giving exams on the 6 different types of assaults and how to prepare an op order, then go elsewhere...
Evo is staying for now, but when I've had enough... I'll pull it without another discussion.
Magnum... OUT.
Last edited by Magnum SimHQ; 08/10/07 04:14 AM.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 123
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 123 |
Evo should be a twice a month at the most thing on SimHQ. Its already all over the other public servers and if it were kept to a minimum here, people wouldn't be bored of it so much and it would be more organized and coordinated as our skills would be honed doing the other serious missions.
edit-funny I started posting this Teusday morning, my wife's water broke-so it's Thursday now and we have an 8lb4oz baby boy asleep in his basinet. WOOHOO I'm a dad!
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,648
Senior Member
|
|
Senior Member
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,648 |
Congrats Tomcat! Welcome to the world of parenthood. 
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 1999
Posts: 18,786
No one of consequence Veteran
|
|
No one of consequence Veteran
Joined: Nov 1999
Posts: 18,786 |
Evo should be a twice a month at the most thing on SimHQ. Its already all over the other public servers and if it were kept to a minimum here, people wouldn't be bored of it so much and it would be more organized and coordinated as our skills would be honed doing the other serious missions.
edit-funny I started posting this Teusday morning, my wife's water broke-so it's Thursday now and we have an 8lb4oz baby boy asleep in his basinet. WOOHOO I'm a dad! So this is a time traveling post!  Congrats.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,175
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,175 |
Just a note to the folks who have abandoned Sat. nights - I would say at least 1/2 the time there is some organization/coordination. Not having played on Sunday/Monday, though, I couldn't say if it is enough to satisfy that side of the fence. Also, Sat. is often the only opportunity to play so it's Evo, nothing, or join a clan (which I'm not interested in, either). I would much rather play Fridays and even Sundays & Mondays (from what I've read here), but I rarely can do it (mostly due to SWMBO  ). And to the the comment that SimHQ is perceived as a serious bunch, having never played on TG I have the perception that they are far more serious than SimHQ. So, maybe we just need a PR department 
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 1999
Posts: 18,786
No one of consequence Veteran
|
|
No one of consequence Veteran
Joined: Nov 1999
Posts: 18,786 |
SimHQ is a serious bunch of comedians. Let me tell you...
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,087
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,087 |
Wow, has it really degenerated this bad since I was last on?
On a side note, I don't get the Cayo being hard at all....it always seemed by far the easiest town to clear IF you placed an AI within the circle just like any other town. Last time I did it with Biff, Slow and I think even Wepps was there among others it took maybe 20 minutes and maybe 5 to cleanup/repair.
I completely agree with it only takes a couple of careless "ranked" people to burn through the vehicle assets. I liked playing the engineer so I could help with the logistics, so seeing all those scattered wrecks was even more annoying to me but this was really only a problem once and those that where there probably know who I am referring.
I was doing quite a bit of AI managing to keep the repair trucks enroute and an AI within the city perimeters so joining a squad wasn't ideal, but I think everyone I was playing with understood and we still managed to work very well together.....ah well, it was fun while it lasted I guess.
Personally, I would be just fine with only having the air transports available. But I've always been more for the ground war side of ArmA.
As far as editing the mission, I know he asked people not to modify 1.5 as he felt it was too buggy but I haven't seen him make that statement since 3.0 came out. But then I haven't been following the thread....anyone think to ask him?
Last time I checked there was at least 6 or so versions that had some fixes and added features
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 57
Junior Member
|
|
Junior Member
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 57 |
edit-funny I started posting this Teusday morning, my wife's water broke-so it's Thursday now and we have an 8lb4oz baby boy asleep in his basinet. WOOHOO I'm a dad! Gratz, Tomcat. The very best to you and your family. Just remember...son... you cant start to early. Get a little key board and start by showing him where the W-A-S-D keys are. Then maybe the reload key......... Slow
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 24,718
Measured in Llamathrusts Lifer
|
|
Measured in Llamathrusts Lifer
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 24,718 |
[edited to tone it down]
Razorback, we'll talk on TeamSpeak off mission.
Last edited by Dart; 08/10/07 01:43 AM.
The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events. More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.comFrom Laser: "The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
|
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
|
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|