SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Hop To
Page 5 of 106 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 … 105 106
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 71
W
Junior Member
Junior Member
W Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 71
Well this was annouced some time ago and like most things I thought it had died a long death.
Well done we need a decent WW1 Sim WAW is fun but we need a serious one.

I am onboard for sure





Ghost Who Flies
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,118
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,118
Quote:
Originally posted by Dolph:
hehehehehe, maybe you are right guys, but if the modelling is like it should be (slow planes), then I'm not so sure that I'll be so excited. As I told above: is any of you enjoying flying P.11 in IL2? Is any of you flying it on 1x1 for example? And this is fast compared to WWI planes LOL

Anyway, as I already said: you never know what will come. Maybe I'll be more thrilled than you in the end \:D
Dolph I think you underestimate the numbers of ex RB types here. Lowengrin of DCG fame was once more famous for his excellent 3rd party Aircraft he created for RB3D.
I'm dead excited, this is what I've been waiting for, a 21 century WWI flight sim.
My old RFC uniform is out of mothballs and waiting for me. Just get me a Camel and this war will be over by Christmas.

and, LOL, if you think the flame wars here are bad, anyone remember the "Climb like a monkey" war on the Delphi board...where's Von Helton \:D

This is going to be great!!

Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 1
P
Junior Member
Junior Member
P Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 1
Oh man, this is something I've been waiting for! I love the biplanes IL2 allready have, and I'm constantly making WWI missions for them, but Gladiator and U2's won't beat the real thing.


Fly friendly!

Petter B�ckman
Norway
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 13,367
F
Veteran
Veteran
F Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 13,367
Quote:
Originally posted by Dolph:
hehehehehe, maybe you are right guys, but if the modelling is like it should be (slow planes), then I'm not so sure that I'll be so excited. As I told above: is any of you enjoying flying P.11 in IL2? Is any of you flying it on 1x1 for example? And this is fast compared to WWI planes LOL
Well, the airbases were usually about ten-twenty kilometers apart on either side of the trenches, and the air battles took place at low altitudes, so there shouldn't be much waiting and traversing empty space, as compared to Il-2 et al.


My Il-2 CoD movie web site: www.flightsimvids.com
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,343
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,343
Quote:
Originally posted by Dolph:
the modelling is like it should be (slow planes), then I'm not so sure that I'll be so excited. As I told above: is any of you enjoying flying P.11 in IL2? Is any of you flying it on 1x1 for example? And this is fast compared to WWI planes LOL, BTW, any news on 1C's BoB?
I've always felt that because the aircraft of WW1 operate at airspeeds so much lower than the WW2 variety, the game engine could use much more of its power to due "other" things.

The level of detail for the a/c and ground objects could make PF look like RBII \:D , and the ground action could be a very active, integral part of the sim. Fancy sound effects eat up a fair bit of power, but again this could be emphasized in the game.

Copterdrvr


Skids are for kids!
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 319
F
Member
Member
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 319
Hi.. \:D


http://www.airwar.ru/enc_e/fww1/camel.html

Look at the Sopwith Camels armament..

4 11,3 kilos bombs... ;\)

looking forward to this sim..been flying Ians hungary missions with Fiat cr42..good fun..

Booom..!!!


Aiming on UUU pilots...
Sauna time..yeeeh!

Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 1,673
K
Ruddy Duck
Member
Ruddy Duck
Member
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 1,673
Where were all the modelers and interst 2 years ago when we tried to do it then? All we needed then was more modelers and it would have been free. I guess it is the real world and folks want to get paid and do what they want,and timing is everything. All of the sudden we go from no recent WWI sim to 3. There is the Over Flanders Field mod (looking good if you ask me), the Thirdwire sim and now this. Good to have choices, but will this make it out of the Russian market? Last I recall that was an UbI decesssion.


CSG_Rummy
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,439
I
Senior Member
Senior Member
I Offline
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,439
Quote:
Originally posted by Dolph:
Quote:
Originally posted by WWSensei:
Quote:
Originally posted by Dolph:
Well...will it actually be interesting?
I mean, is any of you enjoying flying IL2's biplanes?

Personally, I don't think I'll be interested, though you never know what will come \:D
Heh. The day a decent WWI comes out I'm backing to strapping on a Spad or DH-2 and I'm done with these high faluting aircraft with their raised landing gear and closed cockpits.

Real men flew the Re-8. I mean only real men would fly and aircraft with only 5mph difference between max speed and stall speed right?
hehehehehe, maybe you are right guys, but if the modelling is like it should be (slow planes), then I'm not so sure that I'll be so excited. As I told above: is any of you enjoying flying P.11 in IL2? Is any of you flying it on 1x1 for example? And this is fast compared to WWI planes LOL

Anyway, as I already said: you never know what will come. Maybe I'll be more thrilled than you in the end \:D

BTW, any news on 1C's BoB?
The answer is yes...the P.11, the Cr.42 and the Gladiator (J8A) are a blast to fly, they are flown in some places on some servers, and they are a boatload of fun.

Its sometimes nice to slow down and appreciate things in a different perspective. You focus alot more on co-ordinating your turns, loops, and other aerobatic moves more than you would in a FW190 where you want to avoid aerobatic sillyness \:\)


- IceFire
Find my missions at Mission4Today.
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 1,673
K
Ruddy Duck
Member
Ruddy Duck
Member
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 1,673
Make no mistake WWI combat is still very much about energy.


CSG_Rummy
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,499
V
Member
Member
V Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,499
I hope it wont face the same fate as KOE.
If it is based on the IL2 engine, it will probably have the same weird FM and DM anomalies as PF? These WW1 planes had heavy torque and where tricky to fly...definitely not the strong point of this engine.


Intel Core I7-4790K @ 4x4GHz (oc'ed to 4x4,5 GHz on air)
be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 CPU Cooler (250W TDP)
ASUS Z97-C motherboard
ASUS STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5
ASUS ROG Xonar Phoebus Solo Soundcard, PCIe
2 x 4GB GEIL DDR3 Value RAM
ANTEC PSU (750W)
Toshiba 37" LCD TV (1920x1080x32)
Win 7 Home Pro (64bit)
240 GB Corsair SSD (Force Series 3)
TrackIR4 Pro
HOTAS Cougar + "Uber NxT advanced" gimbal mod
SIMPED F-16 Pedals
SAITEK Throttle Quadrant
A2 leather jacket & leather gloves
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 2,669
C
Senior Member
Senior Member
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 2,669
Since the game is probably a standalone I don't see the same problem as with FB/PF - it won't have too many planes to display with the current FM matrix (which is the problem with FB/PF according to Oleg).


Intel i7 960 @ 3.2 GHz - ASUS Rampage III Gene Republic of Gamers - 6GB RAM OCZ CL7 XTC Platinum PC3-12800 - ZOTAC GeForce GTX 480 - 64GB Crucial RealSSD C300 SATA II - 1TB Western Digital WD1002FAEX SATA II - Creative Soundblaster Xi-Fi Titanium - Windows 7 Professional 64bit
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 13,367
F
Veteran
Veteran
F Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 13,367
Quote:
Originally posted by VF-2 John Banks:
If it is based on the IL2 engine, it will probably have the same weird FM and DM anomalies as PF? These WW1 planes had heavy torque and where tricky to fly...definitely not the strong point of this engine.
Compared to which other (infinitely better, I guess) engine?


My Il-2 CoD movie web site: www.flightsimvids.com
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 13,367
F
Veteran
Veteran
F Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 13,367
VIKS, here's a thread where we discussed a WWI sim last year:

http://www.simhq.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=98;t=007040#000011

My first posting in that thread....

---------

Verdammt! - I vant a World War 1 Sim Oleg-style and I want it NOW! Ja!

posted February 03, 2004 20:53

Why oh why has he said he doesn't want to make it?

No FM data?

Oleg! - No FM data = NO TROUBLE for you!!

You will be able to fine-tune the planes to (almost) your liking and make an eminently playable sim if you want. Nobody will be banging you on the head with roll-rate this and cockpit bar that. Just give us some nice FM's that enable historical tactics and get us as close as possible to the anecdotic evidence from WWI.
- Your bet will be as good as ours as for FM, so no need for patches and all that jazz.

I'm no good at Boom and Zoom and I find it rather boring as well... "Come back, I want to fight, don't fly away..." - No, turn and Burn is what I know and that's what WWI will be all about!

Also, the planes are incredible beautiful, just imagine making skins for WWI! - no matter how gaudy, it won't be out of place in the Richthofen Zirkus!

The fighting will be UP and CLOSE. All the wires and bracing and wheels and scared gunners with scarves and goggles will look amazing through a gunsight. We NOW have the computers for the incredible visual experience of 20-50 m. dogfight distances.

Damage modelling. Don't get me started! - Planes catching fire and smoking, yes, we have that in WWII as well, but just imagine what more we will have in WWI. Planes CRUMPLING! And not just crumpling, but shredding, disintegrating, with canvas buffeting and blood spurting from severed jugulars, all in glorious close-up!

Dynamic Campaign? - Ha! No need for it, the fronts were as static as they could be. One problem less.

But, talking about the fronts. - Amazing visuals again! - A scar across the landscape: Mud, trenches and barbed wire. Artillery barrages, gas attacks, fires and explosions and poor little grunts that we can fly high above, we, the Knights of the Sky! It'll be amazing to fly over the WWI frontlines and there will be no boring long missions, just dogfights a few km. away from home base.

Engine management, prop pitch, fuel mixture? - Well, I'll happily live without it, and that's what I'll do in a WWI sim. Pure fighting and no fiddling. - Nice, should be attractive to the masses!

And then all the extras. Long-range Gothas over London, Zeppelins (!) and the first carrier take-offs of the Royal Navy. Ilya Mourometz and strange Capronis and a host of other bizarre and wonderful planes.

(Well, if London is too complicated to model, then no sweat, the trenches of WWI were mostly far away from big cities, one problem less there)

Finally there's just the GLORY of WWI air fighting. No terrible ideologies (except for your widely held, run-of-the-mill imperialism), no national markings that we CAN'T put in, no carpet bombing and firestorms, just heroic jousts in the heavens where the best man may win.

(No wimpy chutes either...) ;\)

OK, if anybody should doubt it: I REALLY want Oleg to make a WWI flight sim!

P-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-lease!! \:\)

Whaddaya guys think? - Have I convinced you, or were you already converts?

- Freycinet


My Il-2 CoD movie web site: www.flightsimvids.com
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 2,290
WW: Online Since 1992
Member
WW: Online Since 1992
Member
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 2,290
Sure hope this one makes it to the store shelves...

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 2,676
Likes: 1
B
Senior Member
Senior Member
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 2,676
Likes: 1
This is good news!!

And the don't forget about the Third Wire effort that should comr out early next year.

Here are some of the latest dev. shots:




Barkhorn.


"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism, while the wolf remains of a different opinion."--- William Ralph Inge

"The ORIGINAL Barkhorn"
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,800
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,800
To those thinking that a lack of FM data means no arguments....ROFL! The FM debates in RB2/3D and other WW1 efforts make the FM debates in WW2 sims look like children pretending to argue. On the contrary, when there is little data the emotional ties to perceptions are about a million times stronger than any ones ties to WW2 charts.

Hehe, sorry, just makes me chuckle. No, the upcoming FM debates on a WWI sim will make all previous debates sim like nothing more than minor differences of opinion on insignificant items.

Hell, I remember a long heated debate on Delphi of nearly 700 posts just srguing over the shade of color on a DVII lozenge!

Someone asked if I fly the slow bi-planes in IL2. Absolutely! Every chance I get. WW2 has always, and will always be a temporary fix for my virtual combat flying jones until a good WWI sim comes along.

I quit flying RB3D because I simply kept running into too many technical issues and lack of server options to hold my interest for online play, but I still have on my system and still roll out on a sortie or two offline using a Glide emulator and the Full Canvas Jacket patch.

Had Sierra/Dynamix come out with an Red Baron 4 with it's campaign system and updated, modern graphics and more aircraft I never would have bothered even trying the demo of IL2.

Give you any indication of where my interest lies? \:\)

Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 13,367
F
Veteran
Veteran
F Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 13,367
Yeah, Sensei, but there is less of a problem for the sim programmers if no-one can come up with performance data, but just anecdotical evidence.

Got to say that those screenies from the Third Wire effort aren't too impressive. Anyway, they are development screenies, I know.

On the Fokker Dr.1 model of the Gennadich team, the thickness of the rear control surfaces looks exaggerated. I mean, they should basically taper to a fine rear edge, shouldn't they?
http://www.gennadich.com/img/dev/scr7+.jpg ??
http://www.gennadich.com/img/dev/scr3.jpg ??


My Il-2 CoD movie web site: www.flightsimvids.com
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 1,673
K
Ruddy Duck
Member
Ruddy Duck
Member
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 1,673
I'm more excited about the OFF mod for CFS3 than the thirdwire. No good track ir support in the TW version.

Some OFF shots:

http://off.oldbrowndog.net/






CSG_Rummy
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 9,145
Likes: 8
A
Hotshot
Hotshot
A Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 9,145
Likes: 8
Freycinet, no most control surfaces in WWI did not taper to a fine edge. \:\) Remember they were dealing with wood and canvas, not metal...


"Go Fly A Kite!"
-Jason R.
FS-WWI Project Leader
FS-WWI Plane Pack Site

Intel i7 14700k
Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite X
64GB Corsair DDR5 6400 Dominator Titanium
AMD XFX 7900 XTX Merc310 Black Edition
LG UltraGear 38GN95B-B 38" monitor
Corsair HX1200 PSU
1TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
2TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
Two 2TB EVO 860 SSDs
Sound Blaster ZxR
Win 10 x64 Pro
HOTAS Cougar #4069 w/Uber II Nxt mod #284 & UTM bushings
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 8,895
Likes: 75
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 8,895
Likes: 75
The more WW1 sims we have the better in my book

Here's more recent shots of over Flanders Fields mod..


edited for size woops sorry

more...

http://www.polovski.com/off/Nov_update/Off-Nov12th.html


Regards,

Polovski
OBD Software, developers of epic, immersive, unique flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields & Wings Over The Reich
https://www.overflandersfields.com
https://www.wingsoverthereich.com
Page 5 of 106 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 … 105 106

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
September 15th Battle of Britain Day.
by RedToo - 09/15/26 08:06 PM
Population Patterns
by PanzerMeyer - 09/15/26 03:43 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,074,774 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1