SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Still mulling over a new machine, one of these days. I note that all the commercial ones come with XP[SP2]. From what I can gather, SP2 provides a handfull of 'security' items? I see some of the guys have reported they had 'troubles' running things, with SP2 in the machine. Is it possible to disable the SP2 features? I run Firefox/Thunderbird, Avast a/v , Sygate or Zone Alarm firewall, Lavasoft AD6, Spyware-Blaster... and have had absolutely NO difficulties, either in operation, or from the things these programs protect against. I would prefer to continue to run them. I really do not want to get back to chasing Windows Updates..[I do not have a one in these machines now]...

Info please ?

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 17,733
J
Joe Offline
Veteran
Veteran
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 17,733
If you have a new copy of Windows XP that includes SP2 (the phrase is that SP2 is "slipstreamed" into the install), then you cannot uninstall SP2 or otherwise disable it. Despite the fact that there are reported problems, it is a good idea to use it. The additional security features should not be missed, as they make your system much less prone to malware, spyware, popups, etc.

As far as Windows Updates go, just install them automatically. The vast majority are security patches which you should not be without. SP2 enables automatic updates by default.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ooooo...Ouch ! I'm 'sorta' in the process of working towards getting off 'Dial-Up'... but until then...much of anything that updates 'automatically' is not a great thing. I even get little RED advisories from Avast when I've 'hung-up' during a virus def up date!
"...Cannot...disable it." That REALLY sounds morbid. Do you mean that one with a new H/P, using WinXP-SP2, has NO CHOICE but to run the MicroSoft products? 'Wonder what happens if you try to run the 'other' programs also?

Honestly... that really seems like a BIG turn off, to me... Maybe I'll just forget the 'new' machine, and be glad the other machine here is only "XP"...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you are correct, Joe... [and you are 99.44% correct.. just like Ivory]....I am beginning to understand people getting steamed at uSoft. I mean that would really be Ballsy to concoct a system where you guarentee no OTHER security programs can be used...but yours! Guys with simple XP and '98 systems better be taking very good care of them...if you are Ivory pure, Joe...

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,918
R
Senior Member
Senior Member
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,918
Quote:

I mean that would really be Ballsy to concoct a system where you guarentee no OTHER security programs can be used...but yours!
I don't see this as being the case. There isn't anything stopping you from disabling the Windows firewall and using Zonealarm, or what ever.

There really are not any reasons to not install SP2. SP2 isn't just a collection of security updates, but also provides numerous bug fixes. Granted not all apply to all users, but there are plenty everyone can benefit from.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;%5bLN%5d;811113

There is also DEP, or NoExecute support available in both a software and hardware mode, if your chip supports it. That isn't something you can find pre-SP2. SP2 systems are also protected via a firewall before an application like ZA can start up, another advantage for the security-conscious.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well....Rilex... I'm only looking for solid facts, but from what Joe says, above...it is NOT a case of simply disabling SP2 features. I did look at the link you gave; thanks. That's quite a shopping list. I wonder how many of those things apply to a Jim Klutz computer op? No wonder SP2 is 51 MB to download...which is why I have not tried to do it on the other machine in this house...

I dunno... I'm gaining less interest... But thanks, Guys... for trying to answer my question.

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,918
R
Senior Member
Senior Member
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,918
Quote:

it is NOT a case of simply disabling SP2 features.
Depends on what you're referring to, I suppose. Yes, it is easy to disable NoExecute support and the built-in Firewall if you want.

However, realize that XP RTM is now in an unsupported status, and so will SP1 when SP3 is released.

By not upgrading, you become a security risk to the 'net at the very least. There is no reason to not upgrade. Very few people have problems, you only see the vocal minority. And those are often fixed with driver updates.

Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 17,733
J
Joe Offline
Veteran
Veteran
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 17,733
Disabling certain things is quite simple. Here is a picture of the SP2 Security Center. I simply disabled the firewall because I have a hardware firewall and choose not to use the software firewall included with Windows.


There is also no problem at all with using thrid-party programs such as other firewalls and virus scanners. At work I use Norton with XP SP2 and they get along just fine. I think you're being too paranoid.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1
A
Junior Member
Junior Member
A Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally posted by Joe:
I think you're being too paranoid.
Regarding security, that's a good thing.
Unfortunately nowadays you can't be too paranoid, esp. if running 24/7 on static IP.
Just my 2c.

PS. FWIW I'm happily running SP1, no intention of going SP2 (and no problems either, security-related or otherwise \:\) )

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
OK guys... and thanks for that picture of the Security Center.

I guess I'll turn the flame down on the project. If we ever get to 'broadband'... maybe I'll take it more seriously. For now, I think we'll settle for the Family Machine "XP", and my toy machine here on '98... Leave the 'advancement of the art' to you fellows.

I don't see how I can be a threat to the Net, under any circumstances, but you know more about it than I do...

Thanks again..

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 8,827
H
Hotshot
Hotshot
H Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 8,827
I was initially dead set against SP2, as I was seeing considerably more bootup time while it did its security checking, etc. But I've now been running it for over six months on three platforms and they are all performing very well. As cited, Microsoft is leaving SP1 behind and you don't want to miss out on their ever developing security features.

btw: I too use Norton (2005), which includes a robust firewall, with XP Pro SP2 and they play nice together.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yeah... well the truth of the matter is that I only wanted to get into the New Machine Mode for the purpose of having as versatile a XP machine...as this '98 is... to play with... learn on. Fiddle with drivers, programs, etc. I keep running into the cost of a pure software package [as I have for '98], and the choice of a Factory Machine... I guess I'll hang it up and go fishing..... Maybe in the Fall...

Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 17,733
J
Joe Offline
Veteran
Veteran
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 17,733
Quote:
Originally posted by Hawk-Eye:
I keep running into the cost of a pure software package
XP Home OEM w/SP2 - $93
Open Office - free


Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
September 15th Battle of Britain Day.
by RedToo - 09/15/26 08:06 PM
Population Patterns
by PanzerMeyer - 09/15/26 03:43 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,070,252 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1