PS, they aren't spawn camping. That's part of the gameplay. Besides taking victory points, each side hunts for and destroys enemy FOB's to stop reinforcements in an area. You don't spawn on an FOB that's being attacked.
Yeah, I meant that as in 'random dude doing his random thing'. People were running all over doing whatever. Stealing trucks, tossing grenades, hosing the area with the MG, sniping. At some point a BTR came bouncing in. It was like coming back to an unsupervised kid's party after three hours.

I realize a lot of this is due to the influx on the free weekend, but my point is the game didn't seem to encourage tactical gameplay much.
I might give it another try, but ArmA is familiar and deep, and Argo now distils that depth into some really tight gameplay, so Squad needs to hit a home run for me I guess and it may just not be for me at this point, especially with the high level of commitment it seems to require to play it in the desired way.
Thanks for the inputs though!